PDA

View Full Version : Sorry abou the repost, but my last one was deleted...

McKagan13
04-06-2004, 17:34
So im just gonna kinda leave this one out there...

Anyways, let me introduce myself once again. I am currently attending UMASS, Amherst, and will be graduating this semester with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Im going back home after grauation to Long Island, NY.

I am currently trying to get into OCS for an AD slot. If for whatever reason I am not excepted, I hope to join either the 19th in RI or 20th SFNG group in MA.

What I was wondering was if anyone here either does or knows somebody who works in the business industry whil still being in a SFNG group. I am committed to joining and would not mind a sub par engineering job while in the guard, but I was just wondering if anyone did or knew someone in a similar situation. And if so, how hard is it to maintain such a job with the rigours/deployments of an SFNG group.

Thanks, sorry about the repost, and I hope its not a problem to have this posted on both SFNG message boards. I figured it pertained to both.

Thanks again,

Matt

shadowflyer
04-06-2004, 18:37
I do Technical consulting for a large software company here and I have no issues with being in the 20th GRP. I work 45-50 hrs a week and still find time to PT 3 times a week plus go to EMT/Paramedic school on 3 of those days. I know if I can do it, you can as well. There are ALOT of people who have full-time jobs that work longer hours than I do and still serve in the NG.

Your company has to let you drill and let you train and go on deployments, they can NOT fire you. The law states that they must hold your job for you while you are deployed or in training for the NG. I would not worry about it.

If you are trying to get that OCS slot, go for it 110 percent, DO NOT ACCEPT FAILURE. The 19th and 20th GRP will be here, dont worry about that. Focus on making it into OCS and being the best officer you can be.

Just a lil advice, take it and use it however you want to.

Best Regards,

Jason

McKagan13
04-06-2004, 19:26
Thanks for the advice. OCS is something that I have been pursruing for quite sometime. There is nothing that I want less. My packet is almost complete, and will be at the end of May when I graduate. I have descent grades, max the PT test, and have some excellent LOR's. But, theres always that slight chance that I dont get accepted. And since I have both a moral waiver and physcial waiver im a little worried. Since my parents aren't going to house me for too long after I graduate, im trying to find something to do in case I do not get accepted to OCS. And getting a job in the mean time while doing SFNG would be great, though OCS is my main goal.

Just trying to cover all angles....

Thanks again for the info and advice,

Matt

Surgicalcric
04-06-2004, 21:58
McKagan13:

You will not be able to hold down a job while you are in the pipeline. Being non-prior service you will go from one part of the training to another with no substantial break in training. The length of training is MOS dependant and it could range from 18 months to 24 months and thats presuming no recycles.

The training schedule for NPS NG trainees is the same as the 18X enlistment option for AD.

HTH.

James D

McKagan13
04-07-2004, 07:30
I completely understand that the pipeline for a rep-63 is the same as an 18x'er. I probably should of made it more clear that I meant after the pipeline (if I finish of course) I would be on the job hunt, and maybe applying to some graduate programs in engineering or business. Thanks for the info

Matt

Surgicalcric
04-07-2004, 18:04
If you are wanting to attend post-grad in the near future you should think harder about what you want to do in the military.

I obviously have not Been There Done That so take this for what you will; I have talked to a good many guys in both my unit and in the 19th SFG(A) who are wanting to continue their education and have been told with the optempo as it is now and as it is projected to be going to school would be near impossible anytime in the next few years.

Both the 19th and 20th have made rotations into the sandbox in one theater or the other and a few of the teams have been in both. The guys are either on rotation in the box or they are home resting a bit so they can go back. There are 5 AD Groups and 2 NG Groups and there are still not enough SF soldiers to go around for the number of bad guys out there.

If you want to be a SF soldier by all means do so, but from the sound of your posts you have some serious prioritizing to do.

Have a good evening and I hope this helps.

Edited: To add clarity.

CommoGeek
04-08-2004, 13:41
If you are in Group, regardless of MOS, you are going somewhere.... sooner rather than later. I do not believe that there is a single NG SF Company that hasn't mobilized in the last 2 1/2 years. Even the GSC's are deploying.

Petelink
04-11-2004, 07:13
McKagan13,

I was in a similar position to you and after much thought ended up deciding to go the NGSF route over OCS. I had/have a job with the federal government that I was in for a year before starting the pipeline. One good thing about the G is that they will give you 15 days military leave at the beginning of each fiscal year that you can use to double dip while in the pipeline. Plus they will give you raises each year you are away so that when you get back you will be making more money. Obviously the G is very knowledgable about Guard/Reserve issues and it will not hurt your career as it might in private industry. So if OCS does not work out my advice would be to seek out a government job, work it for a year or so and then go into the pipeline. Either way, best of luck.

Pete

Radar Rider
04-11-2004, 07:51
Originally posted by CommoGeek
If you are in Group, regardless of MOS, you are going somewhere.... sooner rather than later. I do not believe that there is a single NG SF Company that hasn't mobilized in the last 2 1/2 years. Even the GSC's are deploying. The above is what you really need to know. Should you become a member of the institution, expect that you might be going somewhere. If you understand and accept that, then good luck with that which you hope to achieve. I've spent MUCH time away from home; you should be prepared to do so as well.

McKagan13
04-15-2004, 18:58
appreciate it.

Radar Rider...I completely understand that as a part of a NGSF group, or any NG element for that matter, you are highly deployable, and I except that. I understand that while in the pipeline for the 1 1/2-2 yrs you can not hold down a job, and again I except that. Just trying to get a little insight and I really appreciate all the input.

In case anyone is interested, my OCS packet is almost complete. I had 2 minor arrest when I was under 18 that I was worried about, but turns out I don't even need waivers for them. So, I should be in front of the board in late July, early August. Hopefully i'll get in.

Thanks again everyone, and if you have anymore advice/info/suggestions that would be great.

One more thing. For NG, I have somewhat heard of split training while in the pipeline. Does anybody know anything about this? Im assuming you would attend SFAS and upon selection would go back civi until a later Q date? Again, not really sure so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks again,

Matt

Surgicalcric
04-15-2004, 19:58
Originally posted by McKagan13
...One more thing. For NG, I have somewhat heard of split training while in the pipeline. Does anybody know anything about this? Im assuming you would attend SFAS and upon selection would go back civi until a later Q date? Again, not really sure so please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks again,

Matt

Unless you are prior service, which you are not, the only breaks you will get are the time between your last phase and your next. You will be on AD from the beginning of BCT or OSUT until you finish the SFQC, are injured and sent home to heal, or are dropped from the program for whatever reason.

The split training option provides a break between BCT and AIT. It finds most of its recruits, as I understand it, in high school and a few in college. HS recruits attend BCT during the summer after their junior year and then attend AIT after graduation. College recruits attend during any summer they wish as long as their AIT is not longer than their summer break in which case they are just forced to skip a semester of school for the remainder of AIT. I talked to a young man in my recruiter's office recently who is enlisting for this option and he is a sophmore in college. He is not enlisting into an 18-series job though. I believe it was a 31 or 74-series job in 1/20th SIGDET, but dont hold me to that part.

If it is the length of time in school that is a question for you maybe you should look into a SF support MOS. You could attend BCT and AIT (for whatever MOS you would like that your prospective unit has an opening for) and then return to the unit and drill for some time. Going this route would accomplish a number of things for both you and the unit. At the top of that list you will be MOS qualified and filling an immediate opening the unit has and at the same time giving you some face-to-face time with a NGSF unit so you can decide if thats what you really want. You can then attend SFAS/QC when you are ready.

Just some thoughts and a different perspective. I wish you the best of luck with your pending OCS packet and your civilian career as an engineer.

James D