PDA

View Full Version : Picante sauce...........

12B4S
11-07-2006, 00:24
Favorites??

NousDefionsDoc
11-07-2006, 04:43
PACE

incommin
11-07-2006, 06:15
Any brand that has tomatoes, chilies, and onions in it!

Jim

x SF med
11-07-2006, 07:28
If it's got a LOT of jalapenos, I'm there - most of the commercial ones just aren't that great, and here in the Northeast, they don't know picante from anything.

Sdiver
11-07-2006, 10:26
The type that accompanies the beer I've got in my hand. :D

No really.....I like the type that comes out of the Bennigans and T.G.I.Fridays restaurants. It's finally chopped, with just the right amount of herbs and spices that it's not too hot, but yet you've got to keep drinking beer to cool your mouth down.

Store bought has to be....PACE. But I have found a generic brand from Kroger that's pretty good.

Sten
11-07-2006, 10:34
This stuff rocks!

http://www.hotshoppe.com/productPage.asp?PID=1431&CategoryID=7&CategoryName=SALSAS+%26+PARTY+DIPS

vsvo
11-07-2006, 11:00
Brad, I just make my own. I don't know how authentic it is, but it's easy and it tastes better, probably because it's fresh. Once the peppers kick in, can't taste anything anymore anyways!

5-6 plum tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, diced
chopped cilantro
garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
squeeze juice of 2-3 limes

Depending on how spicy you want it - I usually use:
3 diced jalapeno peppers
2 diced habanero peppers

x SF med
11-07-2006, 11:33
vsvo-
I'm stealing your recipe - thanks!

incommin
11-07-2006, 11:43
If it goes good with chips and makes you want to drink more beer its a good recipe!

Jim

cj13
11-07-2006, 12:41
I also make my own, but for convenience sake, I have replaced a couple of the fresh ingredients with canned ones.

2 cans Del Monte stewed tomatoes
2 cans Rotel
1 Bell Pepper
1 White or Yellow Onion
3 Jalapenos
1 cup cilantro

Healthy amount of Lemon Pepper

Combine in blender or chopper and refrigerate for a couple of hours to thicken.

Result is a salsa that has a subtle heat that continues to build requiring a plethera of cold beverages to subdue.

CPTAUSRET
11-07-2006, 13:21
Brad, I just make my own. I don't know how authentic it is, but it's easy and it tastes better, probably because it's fresh. Once the peppers kick in, can't taste anything anymore anyways!

5-6 plum tomatoes, diced
1 large red onion, diced
chopped cilantro
garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Depending on how spicy you want it - I usually use:
3 diced jalapeno peppers
2 diced habanero peppers

That sounds great, all except for the Cilantro, don't like it at all!

But if you could can that I would buy some, hotter the better!

vsvo
11-07-2006, 13:55
That sounds great, all except for the Cilantro, don't like it at all!

But if you could can that I would buy some, hotter the better!
Thanks, CPT Terry!

Does your dislike of cilantro go back to RVN? Probably because we use that as a garnish on everything, often in combination with chopped green onions and thin-sliced white onions. I do notice that many of my friends here don't like it as well. Funny thing is, I love cilantro, but don't like flat leaf parsley.

I agree with Jim and the rest of the folks - salsa is great because it makes you drink more beer!

vsvo
11-07-2006, 13:59
vsvo-
I'm stealing your recipe - thanks!
No problem, P! It's so simple I can't claim it as my own. I forgot to note, fresh chopped garlic would probably be better if you like. I just hate chopping garlic, so I use powder garlic every chance I get, much to my wife's chagrin and horror. I need to pick up one of those garlic chopping implements someday.

Roguish Lawyer
11-07-2006, 14:25
I like Taco Bell sauce! Also Tapatio and Cholula.

LibraryLady
11-07-2006, 14:35
No problem, P! It's so simple I can't claim it as my own. I forgot to note, fresh chopped garlic would probably be better if you like. I just hate chopping garlic, so I use powder garlic every chance I get, much to my wife's chagrin and horror. I need to pick up one of those garlic chopping implements someday.

I cheat with pre-chopped garlic in a jar. Out here, you find it in the produce section.

Unless I want a roasted taste, then I go to the effort of fresh. ;)

LL

brewmonkey
11-07-2006, 16:31
I like Taco Bell sauce! Also Tapatio and Cholula.

When it comes to salsa anything hot will do but when it come to hot sauce Cholula is it!

x SF med
11-07-2006, 16:37
I need to pick up one of those garlic chopping implements someday.

Um, a knife? Tell you what v, buy me a Harsey GB, and I'll chop all the garlic you could ever use.....:cool:

LL-
I've used the chopped or minced in a jar too - but since they pack it in olive oil, it's not really great for some things. A garlic press is nice if you want it really fine, but a good sharp Sabbatier 8" chef's knife will chop or mince garlic in a heartbeat.

x SF med
11-07-2006, 16:50
When it comes to salsa anything hot will do but when it come to hot sauce Cholula is it!

Brew-
Dave's Insanity Sauce is the shit!!! It'll lite you up better than napalm.... Makes Cholula look like Coca Cola, no lie - 2 drops on a whole chicken tender made me sweat, my eyes water, and chug a beer - and I eat jalapenos and habaneros straight out of the basket or jar, whichever is there (fresh or canned).

LibraryLady
11-07-2006, 19:05
Um, a knife? Tell you what v, buy me a Harsey GB, and I'll chop all the garlic you could ever use.....:cool:

LL-
I've used the chopped or minced in a jar too - but since they pack it in olive oil, it's not really great for some things. A garlic press is nice if you want it really fine, but a good sharp Sabbatier 8" chef's knife will chop or mince garlic in a heartbeat.

Um, nope.

Jar in fridge - Ingredient list: garlic, water, and phosphoric acid.

It's da bomb! ;)

My Henckel 10" chef's delivers any style I please, but I'm lazy - hence the jar... :cool:

LL

x SF med
11-08-2006, 07:44
Jar in fridge - Ingredient list: garlic, water, and phosphoric acid.

It's da bomb! ;)LL

LL- what brand? I need to look for that - it'd make linguine with white clam and shrimp sauce much easier (and my hands won't smell like garlic for 2 days after chopping 5 cloves...)

AF IDMT
11-08-2006, 10:10
Brew-
I eat jalapenos and habaneros straight out of the basket or jar, whichever is there (fresh or canned).
Damn, I broke out in a sweat just thinking about eating a habanero straight out of anything!

The Reaper
11-08-2006, 10:48
I like the little chiles the Thais and some Chinese use.

I do have some habanero sauce somewhere that I like a dash of on some dishes, but too much and you might as well spray your food with 10% OC pepper spray.

Bear in mind that one of the original purposes of spices was to disguise the smell and flavor of undesirable things.

TR

brewmonkey
11-08-2006, 12:34
Brew-
Dave's Insanity Sauce is the shit!!! It'll lite you up better than napalm.... Makes Cholula look like Coca Cola, no lie - 2 drops on a whole chicken tender made me sweat, my eyes water, and chug a beer - and I eat jalapenos and habaneros straight out of the basket or jar, whichever is there (fresh or canned).

I have had Daves and agree it is fantastic. However I chose Cholula due to the fact it has great flavor and a bit of the heat.

When my wife and I first met we used to throw darts in a league. One of the bars we used to throw at in Weston MO (for those familiar with my neck of the woods) made a salsa using homegrown scotch bonnets and it was kick ass, literally. You would sit there drinking a pint of Boulevard Pale Ale and eating this salsa with sweat pouring off your brow, it just could not be beat. I loved it when we played darts at that place.

LibraryLady
11-08-2006, 15:15
...(and my hands won't smell like garlic for 2 days after chopping 5 cloves...)

Prior to chopping wash your hands with cold water.

After chopping:

Rub your hands with stainless steel under cold water - or -
Wash with Lemon juice - or -
Wash with Baking soda and cold water -

- No more smell. ;)

LL

Razor
11-08-2006, 15:22
...and my hands won't smell like garlic for 2 days after chopping 5 cloves...

You say that like its a bad thing.

x SF med
11-08-2006, 17:19
Sir,
Since I am now single, I have found that although the smell of garlic does repel vampires, it does not, alas, attract women. I can take care of vampires by borrowing NDDs pointy stick with a nail in the end, and not have to work so hard when meeting women by reducing the garlicy aroma about my body.

Thanks for the advice LL, Carolina Kitchen Soap works pretty well too.

PSM
11-08-2006, 17:43
Sir,
Since I am now single, I have found that although the smell of garlic does repel vampires, it does not, alas, attract women. I can take care of vampires by borrowing NDDs pointy stick with a nail in the end, and not have to work so hard when meeting women by reducing the garlicy aroma about my body.

Consider it part of the vetting process, Doc. :D

Pat

12B4S
11-09-2006, 01:07
There are a few new ones I'll need to try and a couple recipes to swipe.

How about this one? :cool:

PS:
Hope The size is correct. Took me two nights to try to resize, crop it and stuff.

x SF med
11-09-2006, 08:02
Brad-
Where did you get it , can I get some? Too cool.

kachingchingpow
11-09-2006, 10:01
I'm surprised hispeedmdd hasn't found this thread yet. He makes some of the best Mex/TexMex food to hit your mouth. His salsa (can't disclose the recipe without prior authorization) is the best. When my wife brings it to a party it's always a hit.

Many moons ago after cleaning a mess of fish at about 0100, I reached under the sink and squirted some Gojo hand cleaner (the big orange jug with the pump on top found at most NAPA's etc.) onto my hands. That stuff will take the stink off... well you know. I started my son using it at a young age. He thinks he's cool using "shop soap."

Speaking of blenders... I tripped onto a blender video on youtube the other day that will put a woodchipper to shame. Look up "willitblend.com" and same on youtube. I need one for salsa and margaritas.

Roguish Lawyer
11-09-2006, 12:45
There are a few new ones I'll need to try and a couple recipes to swipe.

How about this one? :cool:

PS:
Hope The size is correct. Took me two nights to try to resize, crop it and stuff.

Brad, can you post a pic of the other side of the bottle?

x SF med
11-09-2006, 13:38
Amherst Drop Zone Shopping SystemThis 5 fl oz bottle will make the perfect gift for that special someone - or for yourself because you deserve it ! Special Forces Picante Sauce ...
www.drop-zone.com/Cart/index.cfm?ac=product_popup&supplyid=1160 - 61k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Want to Fax your order? | Check Basket | Return to Home Page ...Special Forces Picante Sauce Price: $6.99 Fighting Soliders From the Sky. Quantity:. Want to Fax your order? | Check Basket | Return to Home Page | CHECK ...
www.drop-zone.com/catalog/show_products.cfm?headingid=244&catid=79&depth=1 - 10k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.drop-zone.com ]

Ok this is what I got from google - too bad: "The Websense category "Weapons" is filtered" so I couldn't post more pictures for RL

Kyo- your strong googlefu is contagious - even though it took 3 tries to find the hot sauce...

12B4S
11-09-2006, 22:45
x_ I got the sauce at a local store here in Lake Havasu City. It's a small flag and flagpole store. The guy is a vet and has a bunch of military flags, decals, coins and such. Couldn't pass it up. Thing is, he charges $4.00 a bottle. ;)

I'll try to get a pic of the back of the bottle for you RL.

12B4S
01-07-2007, 00:50
Hope these come out ok RL.

Roguish Lawyer
01-07-2007, 12:14
Hope these come out ok RL.

Thanks! Is it good stuff?

Snaquebite
01-07-2007, 12:43
My favorite...(more of a salsa though)
5 whole habaneros, seeded
10 whole tomatillos, husked and rinsed
2 whole Vidalia onions, skinned
6 whole sweet red peppers, seeded
2 whole smoked habaneros
3 whole chipotle peppers
1 Tablespoon cumin
2 ounces balsamic vinegar

Process ingredients in a blender individually in order listed until you reach the dried peppers and put in a glass container. Place Smoked Habs and Choptles in blender and drain juice from mixture in bowl into the blender and process. Add to the mixture in the bowl. Add cumin and stir well. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top. Let marinate overnight.

Make sure the beer is ice cold....

and if you like to experiment..check out this page.
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/bin/table_of_contents.cgi?salsa

echoes
01-07-2007, 17:04
Greetings!

When my Dad makes his, "Mango Salsa", there is never any left.

It can be eaten with tortillas, chips, or a-top huevos rancheros, as it adds a slight tingle to the palate. Mmmmmm. :)

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, & chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 Jalapeño chiles, (include seeds)
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir it up and chill for a couple hours!

Holly

CPTAUSRET
01-07-2007, 17:28
2 whole smoked habaneros
3 whole chipotle peppers
1 Tablespoon cumin

Process ingredients in a blender individually in order listed until you reach the dried peppers and put in a glass container. Place Smoked Habs and Choptles in blender and drain juice from mixture in bowl into the blender and process. Add to the mixture in the bowl. Add cumin and stir well. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top. Let marinate overnight.

I'd like to try that sauce, sounds tasty!

Roguish Lawyer
01-07-2007, 17:58
2 whole smoked habaneros
3 whole chipotle peppers
1 Tablespoon cumin

Damn, and make sure a medic is nearby! ;)

The Reaper
01-07-2007, 18:10
2 whole smoked habaneros
3 whole chipotle peppers
1 Tablespoon cumin

and if you like to experiment..check out this page.
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/bin/table_of_contents.cgi?salsa

I'd say that is going to be pretty picante.

TR

echoes
01-08-2007, 16:44
I'd say that is going to be pretty picante.

TR

Sir,
It's the 5 whole habaneros, seeded, right??? Darnnit all, that would put a regular man in the hospital!:D

Holly

12B4S
01-21-2007, 00:07
Thanks! Is it good stuff?

I have had that bottle for a month or so RL. NOW! Because of you. I opened it last night and tried it out. ......... So much for my pristine bottle of SF picante sauce. :mad:

However! It really isn't too bad. It runs around the ' medium ' area of salsa. Taste wise...... it's good. No need to ingest a couple pounds of asbestos beforehand like Snaquebite's. Holly! Behave yourself.......... ;)

Oh yeah. Actually! I bought two bottles. I have a target for the second one. Now. I just have to make sure I don't wipe it out as well. ;)

zuluzerosix
01-22-2007, 13:55
This is a tried and true simple salsa my mom taught me to make.

Ingredients:

2 Cans of diced tomatoes
1 Bunch Cilantro
3-4 Serrano Chilies
3 Cloves garlic finely diced
Juice of 1 Lime
2 Table spoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of sea salt
Black pepper to taste

Place diced tomatoes and chilies in food processor or blender and pulse 4-5 times (add chilies with seeds and pith if you like it hotter).

Add cilantro and blend for a minute. Take the time to pluck the cilantro leaves so you don’t get too much stems. Stems get bitter and can ruin the taste of your salsa if you have leftover and want eat it again the next day.

Add juice of 1 lime

In a 1 quart pot add Olive oil and set on medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add salsa and reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Take 20 corn tortillas and quarter them. Dry in the oven on cookie sheets at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Make sure they are dry. Deep fry them in peanut oil set at high heat. They will puff up and fry instantly. Drain and cool.

Presto-Texas Chips and Salsa. I make this two or three times a week and my wife goes nuts.

***Note -When I fry up the garlic, I add some ground smoked habanero flakes that my boss makes. It gives my salsa an awsome smoky flavor. If any of you want some PM me.

brewmonkey
01-22-2007, 15:42
When making your own tortilla chips take the time to ensure the only ingredients in the tortilla's is flour or corn, water and lime. They will be authentic and have a much better taste then those with all the extra additives. In larger cities you should be able to find them at an ethnic grocery or bread shop. They are worth hunting down IMHO.

echoes
01-23-2007, 14:52
When making your own tortilla chips take the time to ensure the only ingredients in the tortilla's is flour or corn, water and lime. They will be authentic and have a much better taste then those with all the extra additives. In larger cities you should be able to find them at an ethnic grocery or bread shop. They are worth hunting down IMHO.

Brew,

MMM! Reminds me of "Old Town", in the San Diego area. Hot, and from scratch. :cool:

Holly

echoes
05-12-2012, 19:20
I have had that bottle for a month or so RL. NOW! Because of you. I opened it last night and tried it out. ......... So much for my pristine bottle of SF picante sauce. :mad:

However! It really isn't too bad. It runs around the ' medium ' area of salsa. Taste wise...... it's good. No need to ingest a couple pounds of asbestos beforehand like Snaquebite's. Holly! Behave yourself.......... ;)

Oh yeah. Actually! I bought two bottles. I have a target for the second one. Now. I just have to make sure I don't wipe it out as well. ;)

Well, this just happened to be given to me and I can attest to its potency!

Great stuff 12B4S! :D

hehehehe,

Holly

ZonieDiver
05-12-2012, 19:35
Yum!

echoes
05-12-2012, 20:51
Yum!

It actually tastes good! ;)

Put it on chips, nachos, eggs, waffles, tomatoes...Oh, the possibilites are endless.

And it is SF Picante....so you know it is good!:p

Holly

zuluzerosix
05-13-2012, 12:34
So here is my grandmother's. This is what she brought from Northern Mexico where she was raised.

10-12 plum tomatoes
6-8 jalapenos
1 very large yellow onion
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
2 pinches of black pepper
4 cloves garlic
juice of one lime

roast the peppers and tomatoes on the barbeque. Once blackened, take them off and put everything in a molcajete, except the onion and lime. Grind until you have a sauce.

I use a blender.

Dice the onion real small. Put it all into a simmer pot and simmer on very low heat for one hour. Add the lime and serve warm with chips made from corn tortillas.

To make the chips...

take about 10-15 corn tortillas and throw them in the oven directly on the racks at 200 degrees for aboput 10 minutes... Watch them closely so they dont burn. You just want them to dry out.

Then slice into wedges and deep fry on medium high heat. Drain on paper towels...

I use sea salt on the chips as soon as they come out of the oil.

You will love these..I promise you.

Fin.

P.S. You can trick out the chips with garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder or whatever you like, but you must do it as soon as they come out of the oil.

Rob_Frey
05-13-2012, 16:11
Mrs. Renfro's, a store-bought one.

echoes
05-13-2012, 17:33
Mrs. Renfro's, a store-bought one.

Disgusting! If I may offer a suggestion, try dicing some tomatoes, chilies, and thai spices...then add onion and garlic, salt and pepper...then taste with a tortilla chip?

Just a suggestion....PACE is the only canned sh*t I would even get near, 'cause it is good in that PACE kinda way. ;)

Holly

mark46th
05-14-2012, 08:53
I prefer basic fresh Pico de Gallo, using Serrano chiles instead of jalapenos. The best I ever ate was in San Quintin, Baja California. This is a major tomato growing area. The salsa was made using green tomatoes, yellow tomatoes and red tomatoes. Pleasing to the eye and get down on your knees to thank the baby Jesus good...