PDA

View Full Version : Effective Training Techniques

Roguish Lawyer
10-24-2006, 17:21
What techniques have you found to be effective? Do you use different techniques with different students? How?

In a book I just read, Sharpening the Warrior's Edge, Bruce Siddle suggested two concepts I intend to incorporate into the training I do:

1. Demonstrate the technique you are teaching in a manner that allows the student to visualize the technique -- do it slowly to help the visualization process.

2. Always break the technique down into three components -- beginning, middle and end.

:munchin

highspeedmdd
10-24-2006, 18:38
I am a block head. I can watch and observe, but only through doing and practicing can one learn effectively, no matter how smart or intelligent.

I am a pretty smart guy, numbers-wise. But I will relate the following from my first attempt to earn the EIB.

The SAW is a very easy weapon to take apart and put together. Minimum component pieces when field stripped. There is plenty of time allotted to perform this task and I never had a problem during practice. But when it came time to test, I had a lot of focus on speed, which was not actually necessary, but highly encouraged by the testors. Well, when the charging handle is pulled all the way back and not released the weapon will not go on safe. I thought I had done something wrong when all I needed to do was just relax and release the charging handle. I figured out 3 seconds too late what I had to do.

Practical hands-on approaches and stress create lessons that are never forgotten.

Kyobanim
10-24-2006, 19:54
I've found that breaking the subject down into 3 to 5 steps is easiest to teach learn. Make sure the technique is done correctly every time, regardless of how long it takes. Speed will come as the technique becomes more familiar, otherwise referred to as muscle memory.

The Reaper
10-24-2006, 20:22
Visualization.

Good repetitions, done correctly. Focus on technique. Accuracy before speed.

Crawl, walk, run. Simple to complicated. Easiest to hardest.

Rely only on gross muscle skills.

Lots of dry fires or walk-throughs.

Until you have repeatedly done it correctly in the rain, at night, under fire, in freezing weather, etc., you need to keep practicing.

Just remember, there is always someone better out there.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
10-24-2006, 21:07
I yell and cuss a lot.

I used to throw a lot of rocks, but I can't do that anymore...:(

Gene Econ
10-24-2006, 21:17
I yell and cuss a lot. I used to throw a lot of rocks, but I can't do that anymore...:(

Doc:

Ssssup-wid-dat? Your arm has some sort of arthritis because of your "X" years of chucking rocks at fellows?

He, he, he. Mobex (Meloxicam) works wonders old boy.

Gene (Rock Chucking Muldoon)

NousDefionsDoc
10-24-2006, 21:19
Doc:

Ssssup-wid-dat? Your arm has some sort of arthritis because of your "X" years of chucking rocks at fellows?

He, he, he. Mobex (Meloxicam) works wonders old boy.

Gene (Rock Chucking Muldoon)
No, no - my arm is fine, better than ever. I'm not allowed...

The Reaper
10-24-2006, 21:19
I yell and cuss a lot.

I used to throw a lot of rocks, but I can't do that anymore...:(

Shoulder injury force you to fall back to CQB weapons, like sticks with nails in them?;)

TR

7624U
10-25-2006, 08:21
1. Clear verbal instructions. with visual aid's.

2. Good repetitions, done correctly. Focus on technique.

3. Put the least experienced guys incharge.

4. Observe

5. Conduct after action review's

6. Retrain if Needed

7. Conduct corrective training, All night long if needed

x SF med
10-25-2006, 08:52
1. Clear training objectives - defined at the beginning of training.
2. Talk through
3. Walk through
4. Practice
5. Pre- Test
6. Second Walk through (if needed)
7. More Practice
8. Test to Objectives
9. Retrain those below the pass threshhold using peer training
10. re-test
11. debrief / critique
12 reschedule 2x failures for further training if possible.

SF18C
10-25-2006, 14:22
I have always used the two following principles:

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. (Crawl, walk, run approach and repetition)

If you do the small things right the big things will work out. (Break things down into smaller tasks and perfect those)

I have like the new GMC-NFL commercial which states something like:

Amateurs work at it until they get things right, Professionals work until they never get it wrong!

kachingchingpow
10-26-2006, 14:08
As I've said 1000's of times to my martial arts students, and my football players... "you can't do it fast, if you can't do it slow." Speaking to physical techniques like boxing, form tackling in football, or hitting a baseball, there's no magic number to how many steps there is. When there's more than say...6, I'll consider breaking the technique down into 2 components of 3 steps each. In my case I like to explain what to do, as well as why to do it, and how doing it relates to the latter and former steps. Everything depends on the age and experience of the trainee.

I still remember learning how to function check the M-16 during BCT. What a joke that was. I bet if a survey were taken that less than 33% knew why each of the steps were being performed. To my recollection, the DS just said, "here... do these steps with your rifle private, you'll be tested on them ad-nausem" Nobody knew why we were doing what.

Welcome aboard Mike.

kgoerz
10-26-2006, 17:20
Besides NDD Intimidating everyone with that nail and stick.......We demonstrate every exercise and task we expect students to do. One, actions speak louder then talk, talk, talk and it also establishes your credibility with the students. They tend to listen and ask more questions of you when they know you can do what you’re preaching. An instructor here messes up a Demo and he is on the sh^@# list for a week. Now just have to figure out how to get the instructors to rehears their demos.

NousDefionsDoc
10-26-2006, 17:31
Asked
Now just have to figure out how to get the instructors to rehears their demos.
Answered
NDD Intimidating everyone with that nail and stick.......
:lifter ;) :D

NousDefionsDoc
10-26-2006, 20:49
Training At The Speed of Life came in today - looks interesting

x SF med
10-26-2006, 20:49
NDD-
the nail and stick contraption is just a backscratcher, right - an affectation - like the British swagger stick - except you use it on the sluggos, as a training aid, of course. An SF medicical NCO would never intimidate anybody, it goes against our motto, "Primum non Nocere" unless you've dropped the 'non'.

as Cardinal Fang (Monty Python) would say; "our main weapon is, fear....."