PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the "Land Warrior Ensemble" will finally see combat

GreenMtnTac
10-22-2006, 22:36
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,117432,00.html

I wonder how this will turn out. I'm personally dubious of anything with the word "ensemble" in the name, but who knows, could turn out to be the greatest thing since cold beer.

deanwells
10-23-2006, 02:53
I read an article in the Army times that gave a more detailed description of this gear. Truthfully, it appears to be a lot of moving pieces, as well as extra training time to put this system into play. Does the Government have the resources and cash to keep this equipment combat ready (ie training time, cost of parts, and proficient experts to troubleshoot)? I guess time will tell.

Team Sergeant
10-23-2006, 10:34
but who knows, could turn out to be the greatest thing since cold beer.

I doubt that.......;)

Lots of electronic gagets are wonderful until the batteries die. I do hope they also keep their Iron sights and know how to use them......

TS

pegasus
12-14-2006, 23:19
Some recent reports suggest Land Warrior and parts of FCS have been dumped from the budget which saves $3 billion over 2008-2013.

dennisw
12-15-2006, 08:00
It's an interesting note to see what the DOD spends money on. Having had to send my sons who are deployed the following items, it appears there is a disconnect somewhere:

Sheets,
Pillows,
Warm socks,
Gloves.

I guess I'm missing the big picture.

Jaeger1980
12-15-2006, 08:19
Hello Gentlemen.

We had the "pleasure" to use the German IDZ (Infanterist der Zukunft), which is similar to the Land Warrior Ensemble, during an urban warfare exercise in 2002.

My initial enthusiasm faded away soon. The only benefit IMO was that the new armor plates were a bit less heavy than the old ones. This benefit was defeated by the additional expensive toys we had to carry.

There were nice gimmicks, such as the camera with the HUD. But the old dentist angle mirror, i used to carry in urban warfare exercises, did the job as well.

Overall I was quite unimpressed.

Gruß,
Jäger

edit: damn typos

incommin
12-15-2006, 10:36
It seems like ages ago we used to say there were two kinds of soldiers...the quick and the dead. We shunned flack jackets because they were heavy and decreased mobility and brain buckets decreased hearing.....however, stealth in a jungle is a long ways from urban combat and IEDs.

My view is to keep things as simple as possible with as few devices as possible that have wires and batteries.... How much mobility do you want to sacrifice to gain some protection...... Then again I am thinking that the new soldiers welcome it..... are used to the added weight and want the protection over the ability to move quickly and freely.

Jim

MRF54
12-15-2006, 11:56
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

pegasus
12-15-2006, 12:17
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

+1.

Isn't that the purpose of Marketing?

CPTAUSRET
12-15-2006, 12:22
I doubt that.......;)

Lots of electronic gagets are wonderful until the batteries die. I do hope they also keep their Iron sights and know how to use them......

TS

Concur!

I have flown a great many hours (combat) with a grease pencil mark on the windshield for a sighting device!

It aint the equipmenr, it's the individual!

bubba
12-15-2006, 12:43
Or as my TS likes to say, "Bull shit at the speed of light is still BULL SHIT!"