PDA

View Full Version : Hyphenated labels

Surgicalcric
04-05-2004, 12:34
In another thread there was difference cast between nationality and culture. What is with hyphenating of titles here in America?

African-American, Latin-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, French-American (no such thing BTW), Russian-American, etc. Where the heck did/does this crap come from?

I guess that makes me Israeli/Italian-American huh... Hell no, I am AMERICAN 100% of Israeli and Italian descent. It bothers the crap out of me that individuals are not happy with just being an American. If you were born here or are a citizen you are an American. If you were born in another country you claim your nationality by that determinent and not base it on a cultural divisions. Dont give me that cultural-nationality BS filled, mental-masterbatory argument either.

This is nothing more than another tool to divide and mentally segregate our nation. People claim they are tired of having titles affixed to them, yet they apply them to their nationality. I am fed the hell up with it.

What do you guys think? Other than I need to go PT and burn off some stress...

Gypsy
04-05-2004, 12:40
I have to agree with you. I'm "second generation" but it's too much to say I'm Irish-Sicilian-German-American...my dad always said we are AMERICAN! My relatives came here and learned what they could of the language, culture etc and made sure their kids immersed themselves in THIS Country, their adopted homeland. Sure I love learning the background culture of my relatives, but I am truly blessed to have been born here in the good old USA and I wish more people truly felt the same and would claim their AMERICAN heritage.

Now go take care of that stress of yours...:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 12:48
Show me where I used a hyphen.

Solid
04-05-2004, 12:48
Yeah, you sound pretty enraged.
This is a great point, though, and is currently a point of focus in the UK.
I can't find the article from the front page of the UK Times Saturday April 3, 2004. It's called Britain must crap multicultruralism, and basically details how the Cultural minister thinks that the essential 'positive discrimination for immigrants' policy has led to the foundation of small, extremist cultures who are not pro-british and may therefore present a terrorist threat.

My question: How should the govt. deal with these sects? Restricting immigration won't reverse the harm already done. What more can be done to deal with the groups already inside?

Thank you,

Solid

Surgicalcric
04-05-2004, 12:57
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Show me where I used a hyphen.

You did not use a hyphen. It was your comparison between culture and nationality that spurred it.

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 12:57
This is just my extremist communist opinion, but I think we are indeed living in interesting times.

What I think we are seeing is the beginning of the waning of the nation state as the principle structure in the world. I don't think it will end for the next 100 years or so and I think the US will probably be the last, along with China, but I see it changing, slowly and surely.

The borders drawn by the victors of the WWs are being erased. Due in no small part to immigration, legal and illegal, concepts such as the EU, NAFTA, MERCOSUR, etc., economics, globalization, technology, and lastly security requirements.

My opinion is that we are turning to the era of the security community, smaller geographic areas and segregation.

Bill Harsey
04-05-2004, 20:13
Hey Guys and gals, Quit picking on us hyphenated Americans! I'm, PROUD of my Neanderthal American heritage and will continue to seek the recognition that this important cultural minority deserves.

Sacamuelas
04-05-2004, 20:32
Don't forget the other special interest minority group we belong to Sir. The adults that admit to watching cartoon based programming. Right, Bill-"Hank Hill- Harsey?

Sacamuelas-homer simpson

Bill Harsey
04-05-2004, 20:36
OK, really am laughing hard enough to make typing difficult!!! "cartoon based programing" is there any higher level? "Hank Hill Harsey Jr."

DunbarFC
04-05-2004, 20:42
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
In another thread there was difference cast between nationality and culture. What is with hyphenating of titles here in America?

African-American, Latin-American, Asian-American, Irish-American, French-American (no such thing BTW), Russian-American, etc. Where the heck did/does this crap come from?

I guess that makes me Israeli/Italian-American huh... Hell no, I am AMERICAN 100% of Israeli and Italian descent. It bothers the crap out of me that individuals are not happy with just being an American. If you were born here or are a citizen you are an American. If you were born in another country you claim your nationality by that determinent and not base it on a cultural divisions. Dont give me that cultural-nationality BS filled, mental-masterbatory argument either.

This is nothing more than another tool to divide and mentally segregate our nation. People claim they are tired of having titles affixed to them, yet they apply them to their nationality. I am fed the hell up with it.

What do you guys think? Other than I need to go PT and burn off some stress...

I am with you 100% on this one

If I was to hyphen I'd be an Irish-English-Italian-MicMac Indian-American

I was born here and lived nowhere else. I'm an American and damn proud of it

Sacamuelas
04-05-2004, 20:43
I thought you might appreciate it Sir.

See, there are a lot of em' that don't appreciate the finer points of being a "special" class of citizen. Unfortunately, these "non-believers" don't know what they are missing. LOL

NOONE can escape the hyphen!!!
Saca-DOH!!!
Cheers.

Surgicalcric
04-05-2004, 20:55
Saca:

Are you trying to set a record today for the number of thread hi-jacked? :D

Bill Harsey
04-05-2004, 20:57
Jawbreaker Sir! It's great to be "special" isn't it? Very nice image of smiley faces, well done. Now I just have to convince my wife I'm special...this will go over big, oh yeah especially after yesterday after taking everyone to town in my old crew cab pickup, I'd told my 14 year old son that keeping his mouth shut was a skill but then explained to him that I realized it was one he'd never seen demonstrated. My wife immediately took this personally. I get lot's of knifemaking time this week.

Sacamuelas
04-05-2004, 21:03
LOL

My bad James... you mean this was a serious thread? I thought it was just you blowing off steam after reading that mental masturbation verbal deathmatch over definitions in the other hot thread today! haha

OK...seriously, I agree with you. I hate hyphens in the context you discussed... FWIW,this holds true unless you are a female and want to go to the Olympics. Then it is MANDATORY if you want to have a shot at the gold. THink about it.. Jackie-Joyner Kersee, Florence-Griffith Joyner, Mary-whatever the marathon runner! haha See what I mean, it is a good thing in some special areas.

In the queer eye for the straight guy circles it works too... Nous-defions-doc !! :p LOL (He is going to kick my ass) haha

In a good mood tonight, will try to not hijack anymore more threads. Sorry James

ghuinness
04-05-2004, 21:03
I took the Oath recently, March 4.

Thought you would find the following interesting.
This is an excerpt from the documentation given to new Citizens:

" Today you have become a citizen of the United States of
America. You are no longer an Englishman, a Frenchman, an
Italian, a Pole. Neither are you a hyphenated-American. You
are no longer a subject of Government......"

I can now say I am an American.

Surgicalcric
04-05-2004, 21:08
Saca:

I was joking bro.

ghuinness:

Good for you.

Gypsy
04-05-2004, 21:16
Originally posted by ghuinness
I took the Oath recently, March 4.

Thought you would find the following interesting.
This is an excerpt from the documentation given to new Citizens:

" Today you have become a citizen of the United States of
America. You are no longer an Englishman, a Frenchman, an
Italian, a Pole. Neither are you a hyphenated-American. You
are no longer a subject of Government......"

I can now say I am an American.

CONGRATS American!

Gypsy
04-05-2004, 21:21
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

In the queer eye for the straight guy circles it works too... Nous-defions-doc !!

Do you watch that show? Say it isn't so, we don't need no stinking metro-sexuals! :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 21:44
I watch it - good grooming tips.:munchin

DoctorDoom
04-05-2004, 21:56
x

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 22:03
Well, I agree about the hyphens. When I ask, I mean no offense and I would take none if somebody asked me. I'm proud of my Scottish heritage (its pretty impressive) but I'm not a Scottish-American.

Normally when I think of the hyphen, I think of naturalized citizens. That's probably not very nice either. But I like knowing for conversation reasons, I'm interested.

Gypsy
04-05-2004, 22:06
I watch it - good grooming tips.:munchin

LOL. I seem to recall you mentioning how "fine" you are in another thread in another place...just don't go metro on us NDD.

DoctorDoom
04-05-2004, 22:14
x

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 22:16
Originally posted by DoctorDoom
Agreed. Try to give the other person the benefit of the doubt and share the good things about having an ethnic background. But I'm an American, period.

So what style of Kung Fu do you practice?:D

DoctorDoom
04-05-2004, 22:20
x

Sacamuelas
04-05-2004, 22:32
edited.... sometimes smart A$$ jokes just aren't funny when typed onto the internet. :lifter

Sacamuelas
04-05-2004, 22:35
WHere else BUT in America could this guy end up an "American" Star? LOL

NousDefionsDoc
04-05-2004, 22:38
That dude had a great attitude.

DoctorDoom
04-06-2004, 11:51
x

Roguish Lawyer
04-06-2004, 12:20
My opinion is that we are turning to the era of the security community, smaller geographic areas and segregation.

Would you be kind enough to expound on this for me? I am deeply intrigued. Really.

CommoGeek
04-06-2004, 13:22
I'm proud of my heritage, but I'm more proud of the flag that flies overhead.

I am an American.

Sigaba
07-02-2011, 15:37
Where the heck did/does this crap come from? It came partly as a response to a political culture and accompanying policies and social practices that centered increasingly around notions of white supremacy. Within this project, who was a citizen and who was not (and, after 1857, who could never be a citizen), was defined by race.

By emphasizing the prefix, at least one group of Americans sought to present a competing narrative of their place in society. Carter G. Woodson, a proponent of this approach, put it this way in 1921.We have a wonderful history behind us. . . .If you are unable to demonstrate to the world that you have this record, the world will say to you, "You are not worthy to enjoy the blessings of democracy or any thing else." They will say to you, "Who are you, anyway? Your ancestors have never controlled empires or kingdoms and most of your race have contributed little or nothing to science and philosophy and mathematics." So far as you know, they have not: but if you will read the history of Africa, the history of your ancestors -- people of whom you should feel proud -- you will realize that they have a history that is worth while. They have traditions . . . of which you can boast and upon which you can base a claim for a right to a share in the blessings of democracy.

Let us, then, study . . . this history . . . with the understanding that we are not, after all, an inferior people. . . . We are going back to that beautiful history and it is going to inspire us to greater achievements. It is not going to be long before we can so sing the story to the outside world as to convince it of the value of your history. . .and we are going to be recognized as men.*In some circles, it is increasingly fashionable to argue that this emphasis is anti-American. Perhaps, as originally conceived, the practice reflects a deep faith in America's core principles, the belief that Americans are children of the Enlightenment rather than prisoners of their own hatreds and fears, and the power of history.

* Carter G. Woodson as quoted in August Meier and Elliott Rudwick, "Carter G. Woodson as Entrepreneur," in their Black History and the Historical Profession, 1915-1980, Blacks in the New World, ed. August Meier (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1986), p. 9.

AngelsSix
07-04-2011, 07:59
Well, Jawbreaker, like I said before, I want to just be AMERICAN, but people keep asking me where I'm "really" from.

Or where my family is "really" from.

If no one is willing to take me as I am, I guess I have no choice but to use the hyphen.

Which is ridiculous. Asian American? does that mena I'm from Tibet or Timor? Sakhalin or Afghanistan?

Not everyone claims the hyphenated American, some have it forced on us.

When people ask me this I tell them I am from NYC. When they keep pushing that "but I mean where your family comes from" garbage.....I tell them "Ellis Island". Look it up!:D

Richard
07-04-2011, 08:08
"Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired."

- Robert F. Kennedy