PDA

View Full Version : BOOKS NEEDED FOR IRAQ (Camp Taji)

Surf n Turf
10-22-2006, 09:17
It’s Fall clean-up time at our house (Annual event – before winter), and I am in the process of cleaning out my bookshelves (Orders from CINC-House), and found the following post on Powerline.
I will be sending several boxes out on Monday.

If you have any reading material, including “mind candy” books, I am sure they would be appreciated.

SnT

October 22, 2006
Put out more books...to Col. Horvath
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/015616.php

Yesterday we posted the appeal of a soldier stationed at the Counterinsurgency Center at Camp Taji for books to stock the Center's library. I sought out Lt. Col. Jan Horvath, deputy commandant of the Center, and asked if we could ask readers to ship books to him. He has kindly obliged, adding:

Our camp usually seems like a sanctuary for the Coalition Leaders who are studying. We try to ensure they have the best reading material available as they reflect on the principles being taught and apply them to their areas of operation.
Books can be packaged and shipped to Iraq in a large priority mail box for a flat fee of $8.10 . With the help of a patient postal worker yesterday, I stuffed six books in a box bound for the library. If you would like to contribute to the library at the Counterinsurgency Center, please address your package:

Lt. Col. Jan Horvath
Headquarters COIN CFE
Camp Taji, Iraq
APO AE 09378
In response to my message yesterday, Col. Horvath added: "I have never met a soldier who didn't enjoy receiving mail, and books are special."

Put out more books

A soldier serving in Iraq wrote us recently and asked us to withhold his name for reasons explained below:

Scott,

I work at the Counterinsurgency Center for Excellence within Iraq. Our Center is building a library for recreational reading as well as to facilitate critical thinking across the spectrum of current topics with which we must be conversant. I noticed months ago your readers assisted a Marine unit with related books, and in particular those that provide a conservative political and economic perspective the mainstream media, public schools and our universities rarely provide. Would you please consider assisting us in this way, also?

If you or your readers would consider assisting, please send the books to the following address:

Headquarters COIN CFE, ATTN: Library
Camp Taji, Iraq
APO AE 09378

Gypsy
10-22-2006, 12:29
Thanks SnT, I think I can come up with a few books to send their way.

lrd
10-22-2006, 13:07
Thanks, Surf n Turf. I have some books I can send, and I'll pass the word around here.

Roycroft201
10-22-2006, 21:46
Great timing ! That address is just what I needed. Thanks, SnT.

Warrior-Mentor
10-23-2006, 18:49
Will see what I can do as well...

GreenMtnTac
10-24-2006, 14:28
Any particular subject matter to be preferred? I could probably fill a few Priority Mail boxes.

Surf n Turf
10-25-2006, 18:02
Any particular subject matter to be preferred? I could probably fill a few Priority Mail boxes.

GreenMtnTac,
I really don’t think it matters much --- they are trying to stock a library.
As they are a Counterinsurgency Center, I sent some subject matter books, as well as some “mind candy”
Of the 26 books that I sent they range from --History of Terrorism (Walter Laqueur) to Companerro (Jorge Castaneda) to They Just don’t get it (David Hunt) to the Rage of Achilles (Homer)

Hope that helps

SnT

Huey14
10-25-2006, 20:10
Is there a US Govt address I can send a couple to that will forward them on?

I get the feeling addressing a package to Donald Rumsfield wouldn't go down well these days. :p

Surf n Turf
10-25-2006, 20:20
Is there a US Govt address I can send a couple to that will forward them on?

I get the feeling addressing a package to Donald Rumsfield wouldn't go down well these days. :p

Huey14,

From my original post --- The mailing address that will get the package there is:

Lt. Col. Jan Horvath
Headquarters COIN CFE
Camp Taji, Iraq
APO AE 09378

SnT

Huey14
10-25-2006, 23:34
I didn't think one could send to APOs outside of the US or APO system?

Surf n Turf
10-26-2006, 18:41
I didn't think one could send to APOs outside of the US or APO system?

Huey14,
Working on getting you an address you can use

SnT