PDA

View Full Version : M-4 Question

kgoerz
10-19-2006, 18:05
Anyone know of a good Gun Smith in The Cumberland, Hoke or Moor County N.C Area. I need to get a Flash Suppressor removed from an M-4 Barrel (It's welded on, Post Ban, it has the AK type Flash Suppressor on it now) and I want to get the end of the Barrel threaded also. I don't know if this is even possible. I have enough parts to build another M-4 for myself . This is the only issue blocking me from completing it the way I want it. Or would it be cheaper to just buy a new Barrel and have a Gun Smith put it on? It is a Bush Master Barrel. Any info would be appreciated and no NDD I am not going to put a Stick with a Nail on it in place of a new Barrel.

82ndtrooper
10-19-2006, 18:16
Anyone know of a good Gun Smith in The Cumberland, Hoke or Moor County N.C Area. I need to get a Flash Suppressor removed from an M-4 Barrel (It's welded on, Post Ban, it has the AK type Flash Suppressor on it now) and I want to get the end of the Barrel threaded also. I don't know if this is even possible. I have enough parts to build another M-4 for myself . This is the only issue blocking me from completing it the way I want it. Or would it be cheaper to just buy a new Barrel and have a Gun Smith put it on? It is a Bush Master Barrel. Any info would be appreciated and no NDD I am not going to put a Stick with a Nail on it in place of a new Barrel.

Is similar to or like the "Commando" flash hider ?? If so, their a real pain to get off. Most machinist recommend puting a new barrel into your system. I found this out the hard way when I wanted to suppress my Bushie with the "Commando" type flash hider. Good luck.

The Reaper
10-19-2006, 18:18
K:

They will probably not do it if the M-4 barrel will be under 16" without the brake. It may be possible to find a 'smith who will remove the old one and permanently attach a new one for you.

If it is a 16" barrel plus the brake, some may attempt it for you.

The properly attached muzzle devices are blind pinned on and welded.

Depending on your source, it may cost more to remove it than buying a new barrel and selling the old one.

HTH, good luck.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
10-19-2006, 18:25
and no NDD I am not going to put a Stick with a Nail on it in place of a new Barrel.
It WILL WORK! I'm telling you - people are more afraid of a sharp pointy stick with a nail on it than a silly old carbine!

CPTAUSRET
10-19-2006, 18:41
It WILL WORK! I'm telling you - people are more afraid of a sharp pointy stick with a nail on it than a silly old carbine!

Makes sense to me!

kgoerz
10-19-2006, 19:22
It will still be the legal length with the Break off. Yes it is the one with the Pin and the weld, forgot to mention that. Thanks for the help so far everyone. I heard they are a bitch to remove. So far you have me leaning to getting a new Barrel.

The Reaper
10-19-2006, 19:42
It will still be the legal length with the Break off. Yes it is the one with the Pin and the weld, forgot to mention that. Thanks for the help so far everyone. I heard they are a bitch to remove. So far you have me leaning to getting a new Barrel.

If you have 16" of barrel before the brake, the smith can always chuck it up, chop it, rethread and recrown it, and install a new brake.

Sometimes easier than getting the pins and welds out, but the time it takes the smith or machinist to do it will drive the final price.

TR

Gene Econ
10-19-2006, 20:09

KG:

Just do yourself a favor and get a new barrel with the break or compensator you want. Burning the flash suppressor will severely disrupt the stress relief of the barrel -- rendering the barrel useless. Cutting the flash suppressor off, re-crowning, and putting a new suppressor on will cost you two hundred at least.

If you want, write me BC and I will give you the e-mail of a guy who will put an exceptionally good barrel on your carbine, at what ever taper, length, or rifling twist you want, (as long as the length is legal) with what ever type of flash suppressor you want and for a price that will probably be around $350.00 installed. Two to three weeks max.

Gene

MtnGoat
10-20-2006, 16:16
LOL Now that's funny.

Wait no really this shit work. Watch me.

kgoerz
10-20-2006, 17:57
Did some more searching and with your suggestions it will be a new Barrel. Anyone know a good gun smith who can put my Silencer on also................Just kidding

Monsoon65
10-20-2006, 19:51
Wait no really this shit work. Watch me.

Geez, I think I've heard that before, usually followed by a "bang" or a yelp. And some blood loss.

El Cid
10-24-2006, 07:45
kgoerz,

I asked the same question over at 10-8 forums and was told it can be removed.

Check out the reply from Matt Sunkin:
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=otherguns&Number=32422&Searchpage=1&Main=32422&Words=+Kevin+M&topic=&Search=true#Post32422

Peregrino
10-25-2006, 12:11
Kgoerz - EC's link is good info, it'll work well if you exercise due care. Otherwise contact Tony or Kassandra at Del-Ton, Inc. (www.del-ton.com) They'll be happy to help you out and they're just down the road (White Oak). They sell the barrels and Tony can install it for you (something you can easilly do for yourself if you want, it's not rocket science). The friend I use for my match rifles would probably help you out but what you want done is really not worth your money or his time. If you need more send a PM. Suerte y'all. Peregrino