PDA

View Full Version : Hip Question

futureSoldier
10-18-2006, 17:16
Sirs,

In preperation for my SF candidacy, I have been doing the workouts found on this website and in "Get Selected." However, about 5 months into this, an old problem has resurfaced: my hip. It is the same problem that I had in high school during cross country, and occasionally since at work (I lift and haul tractor trailor tires for a living-I did this in high school as well). The feeling is this: my left (only) hip gets tight to the point that it hurts like hell and is almost impossible to rotate my waiste. This pain is rarely right after a workout, it only occurs at night, when its cold out, and every single morning. I can feel that it is a pain in the hip flexor, but the problem is this: I have done the standard hip flexor stretch (cross one leg over the other and twist my torso in the opposite direction), until I am blue in the face. I should also note that when this occurs at work, it is often a two week warning for bad back problems. Anyways, for the first 4 or 5 months the constant stretching, yoga, and hot tub had helped to keep it away. But as the cold has set in, it has come back in a bad way (I simply cannot sit up in the morning, I sort of roll out of bed horizontally). It is not at all effecting my workouts, even when it is cold out after a quick warm up I do not feel the tightness anymore until well after the workout is over. I feel that this is in some way directly connected to the tires as when I lift a tire to stack, I pivot the tire over my left hip. However, there has got to be a way to stretch this muscle or do something for it.

Thank you for your time and help,

Joe

P.S. What is the best way to stretch and strengthen the ankles? This was the only other injury I had in high school and I would like to try to stretch and strengthen in order to prevent that first twist.

Cincinnatus
10-18-2006, 17:46
Joe,

FWIW, I have had success on many occasions treating soft tissue injuries with massage, including injuries similat to what you're describing. Deep tissue massage isn't a lot of fun, but can be very effective with some injuries.

Consider, too, talking with a good physical therapist as they may be able to both recommend stretches or exercises to help as well as suggest a method for lifting the tires that won't have you continually reinjuring yourself.

Good luck. HTH

Kyobanim
10-18-2006, 18:18
Futuresoldier, go here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9663) and start reading under the green text. There is a guide to stretching there.

You definately need to get that hip looked at by a professional.

cobra22
07-20-2007, 03:14
I have a similar pain but mine only hurts when doing flutter kicks or hip flexor related exercises and does not hurt that bad. It started hurting during selection, with all the rucking. During the LRIM it was so painfully tight in my hip flexor area I had to stop frequently to stretch my hip flexors. After stretching I could go on agian for a while. By the end I was in so much pain that I could barely walk. After the LRIM I dropped my ruck and the pain decreased by 99% almost instaneously had some thing to do with the load vs distance apparently. Now two months after selection it hurts slightly whenever I do situps or flutter kicks, or leg raises. I can feel a slight twinge when I use my hip flexors to support my leg wieght like getting out of bed. Nothing like that movement though. It does not Hurt when I run, or cycle. I have been nursing it I guess by not rucking yet. I start rucking again next week. I'll see what happens. I can't go to the Q until Jan when I come off the trail so I have time. My PA felt my leg and hip and said if it gets worse come back and he'll give me x-rays.
Anyone ever heard of anything like this and should I request x rays

x SF med
07-20-2007, 13:53
cobra-
It sounds like it could be a nerve impingement somewhere in the lower thoracic or lumbar regions - possibly as low as the pelvic plexus.

See a doc, get it checked out.

Surgicalcric
07-20-2007, 14:15
...or you may have Iliopsoas Tendonitis or Bursitis. They are both overuse injuries common to rucking.

1.) No more rucking for now.

2.) Rest, Heat, Passive Stretching

3.) Go see the Doc again.

Crip

jb977
08-08-2010, 16:19
I have a similar, if not same injury, I need help with. Sharp pain in right hip flexor area when running or jumping. I've been avoiding it because I just finished oust and am now in airborne. I was afraid if I went to sick call I would lose my contract. My pain seems to lessen while I'm running a little bit. After the first mile or so it almost goes away. But after any period of time resting it will come back. That leads me to believe that it is some type of muscle or tendon strain that feels better once it's warmed up and stretched. I try stretching before any activity but stretching alone does nothing for it. Does anyone have any advice on what it might be and how I can fix it, preferably without going to sick call right now? Also, if I tough it out through airborne, will I be able to go to sick call during sopc hold/sopc for it without affecting my contract?

Dragbag036
08-08-2010, 21:48
Could also be a genitofemoral nerve entrapment. Many sports players get this beginning in high school after suffering a groin injury. Over the years the nerve becomes entrapped. I had the same feeling where I could not even do a sit up. I have rolled out of bed and any sudden movement of the left hip was so painful that my back even began to hurt. After a couple of years being good one day and bad the next, a sports doctor looked at my groin under ultrasound and found that I had a "rats nest" around my genitofemoral nerve. So after hydrodissection of the nerve I am now in full recovery and feel 5 years younger.

Boomer-61
08-10-2010, 07:59
Future Soldier,
Sorry to hear about your troubles, maybe we can figure this out. I have a few questions for you. If you want we can address them on open forum or you can PM me.
1. You said you had a similar problem in the past, what was the diagnosis, what was wrong?
2. What happens to your back when it flares up? Do you have any knumbness or tingling, loss of muscle tone, any problems with your bowel or bladder function? Is it worse if you cough or sneeze? Does the pain stay in the hip/groin area or travel down your leg?
3. If you stopped lifting tires for a a week or two does the pain go away?
4. Ever had a back injury?
5. Ever had a hip injury?
6. Every had pain in your hip or hips when you were 8-10 years old?
7. Alcohol consumption, one or two a day, one or two a week, one or two a month?
Regarding your ankles. I asst. coach the girls high school track team and deal with ankle injuries too. It is difficult to get the team to do any specific exercises and stay with them. I ask them to stand on one leg any time they are in front of a mirror. Keep the time on each symetric. This helps tone the intrinsic muscles of the foot and ankle. I ask them to walk around thier house in bare feet and on the balls of their feet. I have them run trails every day and to focus staying on the balls of their feet. This sounds simple but it works for our team. I had zero ankle sprains last year.

Boomer-61
08-10-2010, 08:49
I see this was originally posted 4 years ago. Future Soldier, did this ever resolve?

swatsurgeon
08-10-2010, 19:28
I refer all involved with this thread to re-read the "STICKY" at the top of this forum.
Questions like this are tricky because honest questions are being asked but when they are requesting advice, it is best given by a physician, not peers or well intentioned 'others'.
The style of future questions will be monitored for the 'safety' of all parties.

ss