PDA

View Full Version : Group selection process.

Intel_Airman
10-18-2006, 11:05
Hola,

I was just wondering this in accordance to my current assignment here to AFSOUTH, before I head off to become 18X. Would AOR knowledge, deployment experience to Colombia as a collection manager, and fair Spanish language skills with a small understanding of Portuguese help me when time comes for my assignment to a Group. I know I'm a long ways off, but I'm just wondering if the course looks closely at previous experience when choosing assignments or if they just go by your DLAB. Thanks in advance.

NousDefionsDoc
10-18-2006, 11:28
Not until you learn to spell the name of the country correctly.

Intel_Airman
10-18-2006, 13:10
Nice catch.

x SF med
10-18-2006, 14:58
NDD-
When will the flames descend? I would like to evac the AO most riktik prior to the arclight. Ok, brother medic?

Razor
10-18-2006, 15:10
There are no guarantees in life. With that said, are your Spanish and Portuguese language skills documented in recorded DLPT scores?

Intel_Airman
10-18-2006, 17:01
The Spanish will be. I want to tighten it up a little before I take the DLPT though. The Portuguese needs quite a bit of work before I feel comfortable taking the test though. However, I still have a good amount of time; so, I'll just see where I am when I get closer. If it will help, I'll go take it even if I only pull down a 1+/1+.

mffjm8509
10-18-2006, 19:31
Language assignments are determined AFTER you are selected. A board is held by SF Proponent at SWCS that takes a few things into consideration, the first is the needs/readiness of the Regiment, followed by your history and personal wishes. If you have a valid/current DLPT with scores above 1+, that could work in your favor.

Some advice.........bring everything you've got to the table, do the best that you can, and hope that in the end the cadre decide to keep you and give you the opportunity to serve in America's premier gun club.

Anything you get beyond that is gravy.

mp

The Reaper
10-18-2006, 20:56
I would say that it isn't worth worrying about until you have actually been selected.

TR

Intel_Airman
10-19-2006, 00:43
Language assignments are determined AFTER you are selected. A board is held by SF Proponent at SWCS that takes a few things into consideration, the first is the needs/readiness of the Regiment, followed by your history and personal wishes. If you have a valid/current DLPT with scores above 1+, that could work in your favor.

Some advice.........bring everything you've got to the table, do the best that you can, and hope that in the end the cadre decide to keep you and give you the opportunity to serve in America's premier gun club.

Anything you get beyond that is gravy.

mp

Awesome, thanks for the information and advice. I know exactly what you mean about bringing it all to the table. That's why I'm asking so many questions so far out. I'm doing everything I can to set myself up for success. I'm not going to be that guy that gets there and says, "Shit, I should have done..."

Intel_Airman
10-19-2006, 00:58
I asked the question because I really enjoy the region and would love to be able to be part of 7th Group someday. As you guys already know, South America will become more of a spawning ground for terrorists as the war continues. Compared to the time I spent in the PACAF or pulling Force Protection with Iraqis, I would just rather be involved down there. Like you guys pointed out though, it's small potatoes compared to the obstacles I'll be faced with in selection; and don't get me wrong, that's my primary objective as of right now. Thanks again for all the responses and insight.

mixmatch
10-19-2006, 09:02
I cannot speak for the assignment process, but I can verify that AO experience is not the be-all end-all. I spent 15 years in Venezuela, have a 3,3 DLPT score, and mentioned this on my bio. Upon being selected I was assigned Arabic. As the great Professionals in this thread have already discussed, I was just as excited as the next guy to be selected. Sure, Latin America is a great part of the world to hang out in, but if it is all you are choosing this path for, now is probably a good time to reconsider.

Intel_Airman
10-19-2006, 10:59
Wow, that's really good to know. Trust me, I'm not doing it just to hang out in Latin America. It's a preference... no more, no less.