PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii contingent

Gypsy
10-15-2006, 16:37
Hope all who are there (lrd, etc.) are okay, give us a shout when you can and advise if you need anything. Stay safe.

lrd
10-15-2006, 17:32
Hope all who are there (lrd, etc.) are okay, give us a shout when you can and advise if you need anything. Stay safe.
Thanks, Gypsy. We are far enough away from the Big Island (Hawaii) that we didn't even feel it. Couldn't figure out why we had no cable/internet this morning. Kona winds are coming in and it's been storming all weekend, so we thought that was the problem.

We were in Japan when Kyoto had their earthquake. The damage and loss of life were enormous. The Big Island has a lot of structural damage and Oahu was without power (don't know if they still are), but no fatalities that we know of. That's a blessing.

The bases on the islands are either lending aid or standing by.

Gypsy
10-15-2006, 17:38
L, Someone here was kind enough to PM that you are okay, but good to hear from you. I wasn't sure how you'd be affected.

Goggles Pizano
10-15-2006, 18:02
Glad to hear everyone is ok lrd!

x SF med
10-15-2006, 18:58
Lrd- glad to know you're safe, let us know if you need anything.

The Reaper
10-15-2006, 20:21
Glad to hear that you are well.

Great opportunity to review your emergency plan and see how well prepared you are.

Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

TR

lrd
10-15-2006, 20:42
Great opportunity to review your emergency plan and see how well prepared you are.

I was thinking about this as I realized what had happened. The Navy Ball was last night and a good majority of us were staying at hotels on the south side of the island. I had my driver's license, ID card, checkbook, credit cards, cell phone with charger, computer, two changes of clothes, sandles, and a ball gown. My car has a first aid kit, flashlight, leatherman, and rain gear. I have an AWD vehicle but we could have easily been cut off from the house. We usually carry an evacuation kit in the car, but recently used the car for moving and the kit is sitting in the garage. Stupid.

The Reaper
10-15-2006, 20:47
I was thinking about this as I realized what had happened. The Navy Ball was last night and a good majority of us were staying at hotels on the south side of the island. I had my driver's license, ID card, checkbook, credit cards, cell phone with charger, computer, two changes of clothes, sandles, and a ball gown. My car has a first aid kit, flashlight, leatherman, and rain gear. I have an AWD vehicle but we could have easily been cut off from the house. We usually carry an evacuation kit in the car, but recently used the car for moving and the kit is sitting in the garage. Stupid.

Sounds like an inexpensive lesson.

Hope the Ball went well.

TR

lrd
10-15-2006, 21:04
Sounds like an inexpensive lesson.

Hope the Ball went well.

TR
Well, the kit is back in the car and plans are being revised.

The Ball was great. The youngest and oldest sailors cut the cake. The youngest sailor is younger than my youngest son. My husband was the oldest sailor there. I think that means something, but I'm not sure I want to think about it... :D

Roguish Lawyer
10-15-2006, 22:31
Headed to Maui on Wednesday for a conference. Catwoman and the little RLs are coming too.

Think the hotel is still standing? :munchin

lrd
10-15-2006, 23:31
I thought I was just feeling lightheaded, but it might have been the earthquakes. It's been quite a day here in Hawaii.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/quakes_big.php

RL - if it's not standing you can hop a flight to Kauai. It's prettier over here, anyway. :lifter

The Reaper
10-16-2006, 08:31
RL - if it's not standing you can hop a flight to Kauai. It's prettier over here, anyway. :lifter

I don't know about that. I think they each have their own appeal.

Haleakala and Hana are pretty nice to look at. So are Hanalei and Waimea Canyon.

Different strokes for different folks.

Just don't take any rocks with you when you leave.:D

TR

Team Sergeant
10-16-2006, 09:02
Glad to hear you're OK lrd! Living on an island can be exciting at times. I remember the earthquakes and typhoons we had on Okinawa. Earthquakes were not bad but the typhoons kicked ass.

TS

x SF med
10-16-2006, 09:47
Headed to Maui on Wednesday for a conference. Catwoman and the little RLs are coming too.

Think the hotel is still standing? :munchin

Hotel may be worse for wear after you are through -the earthquake was probably easier on it than the pint sized RL clones. :D Remember to slatther the lawyers in training with pleny of sunscreen - toasted munchkins are not a happy thing.