PDA

View Full Version : Req:MRE shelf life.

Christophe
10-15-2006, 14:37
Hi,
I found an MRE ration on ebay.Since it would be interesting to have one in my patrol bag just in case I would like to know how one can determine if it is still edible and if a heater bag is in the ration.
The ration offered for sale can be found here:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290038718623&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It is :

MEAL. READY-TO-EAT. INDIVIDUAL
MENU NO 7
TURKEY.DICED WITH GRAVY
ACCESSORY PACKET A
CADILLAC PRODUCTS INC.
STERLING HEIGHTS. MI 48077

Any info would be very welcome.

Regards,

Chris.

Goggles Pizano
10-15-2006, 16:34
I have not researched it so this is off the top of my head; When I got out the first time in 89 they had Turkey and Gravy. Since I reenlisted I have not seen one. That help? ;)

7624U
10-15-2006, 16:41
That MRE is old notice dark brown bag, dark brown bag MRE's have no heater inside them and not produced after the mid 90's.

shelf life chart is here on this link (Note this is not a real MRE retailer its in CHINA, just has the real chart from the army RND site.)

http://www.militaryfoods.com/mre_shelf_life.htm

If your going to buy MRE's buy the light tan ones that look like this:
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mre-20.jpg they are newer and should have the heater inside.

As you can see from the chart its buyer beware, before you eat one give it the smell test. but you should be safe with the new light tan MRE's

Kyobanim
10-15-2006, 20:16
before you eat one give it the smell test
Now, that's not a really fair test. They smell like shit whether they're good or not.

7624U
10-15-2006, 20:44
lol yes but if you smell rotten feet type smells you wont put it into your mouth I hope.

Cincinnatus
10-16-2006, 07:15
Seems to me that I recall someone saying, on the basis of considerabel experience, that the critical factor in determining the shelf life of an MRE was actually the life of the shelf. :D ;) :D

The Reaper
10-16-2006, 08:44
Why not just get the local Belgian/Euro equivalent?

The shipping alone will kill you, even if the MREs do not.

If you are dead set on MREs, look around US bases in Europe, like in Germany.

The problem with the shelf life is that every 10 degrees F increase over 50 degrees cuts the shelf life in half. And you have no idea when they were made or how they were stored. Open storage in a place like Kuwait and the meals can expire in less than a year. The cases of 12 meals are marked with the manufacture and inspection dates. You can approximate the age with some by the menu items. Still a big risk.

TR

x SF med
10-16-2006, 09:55
The big question to me is why would you eat MREs if you didn't have to?
I guess since my experience was with gen 1 MREs, C's and LRRPs - I'll not eat any of the above (unless they reintroduce the John Wayne Bar) until there is a major catastrophe and I have no choice.

mike-munich
10-17-2006, 00:53
If you are dead set on MREs, look around US bases in Europe, like in Germany.

TR is right. The guys in Tölz used to pass them out to LN´s that were interested in the meals. The Team brought back tons of that stuff from the field. If you are in Germany you prefer the local food (and beer to go with that).:D

@ Chris: I wouldn´t know of a US military base that is close to the Belgian border, but you can look up information on the web to try and find the closest one. Since you are also in law enforcement, I´d just call the MP´s there and ask nicely. Maybe they are able to hook you up with a case of MRE´s.

Well, off for my 9 o`clock break with Bretzels and Weisswurst. Beats MRE´s anytime...:cool:

AF IDMT
10-17-2006, 01:59
Chris, PM inbound.

Christophe
10-17-2006, 08:40
Gentlemen,
thanks a lot for the advice. Guess I won´t buy that rat .
Regarding the why;I am a leo in a riot unit, which means that we often sit in apc´s or other vehicles for hours without getting a chance to get something hot (like on Pres.Bush´s last visit to Brussels). MRE´s have and food and a heater bag=hot food. Ideal for the job.
I have no clue what Belgian rations consist of. The only one I have tried is a French one which consists of a large,heavy cardboard box with canned food (among other stuff) and some sort of foldable stove (same principle as an Esbit). Not really suited for the job. I´ve had MRE´s when I was in the US and ,perhaps it sounds odd, but I like them. Also I love the little goodies that come with it like gum and a small bottle of tabasco.

Thanks again and take care,

Chris.

AF IDMT, message received,thanks man!:)