PDA

View Full Version : "Youth" Baseball Kit

NousDefionsDoc
10-14-2006, 20:30
I guess the word "youth" to Rawlings and Wilson means "Steinbrenner is paying" Santa Maria Madre de Dios that stuff is expensive! It would be cheaper to buy him a Vickers Super Nighthawk .45! My first .45 cost less than a "youth" aluminum bat from Louisville Slugger.

Oh well, his grandparents are always saying how they want to be more involved...:munchin

kachingchingpow
10-16-2006, 12:28
My 10yo daughter decided to get pretty decent at fastpitch softball, and of course all of the expenses of travel ball are flowing out of my hip pocket. I found a pretty good deal on equipment at 'Play it Again Sports.' They had a rack full of previous year model bats that were marked down 60%, just prior to the 07 models hitting the shelf. Ebay is another good source for previous model years. I spent $60 on a darn fine piece of aluminum (I suppose :rolleyes: ).

Then there's football... I'm the defensive coodinator of my son's team and good grief the bills add up there as well. UnderArmor and Nike need to get out of my face. I had to laugh recently... one of the Mom's came up to me asking where she could buy the "black stuff" under my son's eyes; that the new stickers peeled off, and the grease she bought was running like mascara when he sweat. I whipped out a wine cork and a lighter from my pocket, and told her to start shopping at the liquor store, not Sports Authority.

x SF med
10-16-2006, 12:40
NDD-
Can I borrow THE KID'S grandparents? I have this sailing habit that needs financing......

Don't I know what you mean about sports equipment - softball gloves need a financing agreement anymore, and I'm glad you have to use Al bats, they last for a few years.

I may sail, but at least I don't Golf - how do those guys afford it? I could feed a family of 4 for 5 days for what some of these places charge for greens fees for a single round.

Back to THE KID - keep getting him decent equipment now, then when he signs that multi million, multi-year deal, you can guilt him into paying you back, with interest. Think of it as a retirement fund.

Five-O
10-16-2006, 12:57
NDD.....try equipping The Kid to play ice hockey :eek: and all the sudden baseball isn't as bad.

NousDefionsDoc
10-16-2006, 16:59
I'm from Texas man, we don't know shit about hockey. Hell, we had Gordie Howe playing with his two sons and still couldn't get enough people to come to the games to keep the team.

casey
10-16-2006, 17:24
NDD.....try equipping The Kid to play ice hockey :eek: and all the sudden baseball isn't as bad.

Amen - both my guys played since they were little. Never minded the 4:30AM practices. Oldest was a winger, youngest was a goalie. I could have bought a beach house with the money spent just on equipment, winter, spring & summer leagues, travel, training camps etc. All worth it.