PDA

View Full Version : CW2 Scott W. Dyer

Dan
10-13-2006, 14:37
RELEASE NUMBER: 061013-01
DATE POSTED: OCTOBER 13, 2006

PRESS RELEASE: Army Special Forces Soldier dies in Afghanistan
U.S. Army Special Forces Command Public Affairs Office

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, October 13, 2006) - An Army Special Forces Soldier stationed here died Oct. 11, in southern Afghanistan while deployed in support of combat operations.

CW2 Scott W. Dyer, 38, an assistant detachment commander, assigned to 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group here, died from injuries sustained in support of combat operations.

He deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom in August 2006.

A native of Titusville, Fla., Dyer enlisted in the Army Nov. 11, 1987, as a cavalry scout. After completing basic and advanced individual training at Fort Knox, Ky., he was assigned to the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk, La. In 1993, Dyer volunteered for Special Forces training and upon completion of the Special Forces Qualification Course he was assigned to 3rd SFG as a Special Forces engineer. He served with the 3rd SFG until January 2002 when he was assigned to the 96th Civil Affairs Battalion, here, as a civil affairs engineer.

In 2003, Dyer volunteered to attend Warrant Officer's Candidate School and graduated in June of that year. He was reassigned to the 3rd SFG in February 2004 as an assistant detachment commander.

His awards and decorations include the Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Armed Forces Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, NCO Professional Development Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, Combat Infantry Badge, Master Parachutist Badge, Military Freefall Jumpmaster Badge, Military Freefall Parachutist Badge, Air Assault Badge, Ranger Tab and the Special Forces Tab. His posthumous awards include the Bronze Star Medal for valor, and the Purple Heart.

Dyer is survived by his wife Jodi, son Casey, daughter Sidney, mother Sandra Miller and step-father Steve Miller of Tequesta, Fla., father Carl Dyer of Alexandria, Va., and sisters Tawnia Peterson of Orlando, Fla., and Dawn Hill of Rockledge, Fla.

-usasoc-

The Reaper
10-13-2006, 14:42
RIP, brother.

Rest easy.

Prayers out to the family.

TR

vsvo
10-13-2006, 15:42
Rest in Peace

Peregrino
10-13-2006, 16:06
Rest in Peace.

SF18C
10-13-2006, 16:10
At Easy Soldier...RIP

God's Speed to his family

Roguish Lawyer
10-13-2006, 16:11
RIP

Texian
10-13-2006, 16:46
RIP, Warrior.

dennisw
10-13-2006, 17:03
RIP Soldier.

GreenSalsa
10-13-2006, 17:24
Goodbye Scott

Thanks for the beer, laughs and help in ASOT, take care and I will see you on the other side…

Aoresteen
10-13-2006, 17:28
RIP. Peace be with you.

PSM
10-13-2006, 17:37
Rest in Peace Chief Dyer.

Pat

mffjm8509
10-13-2006, 19:01
RIP Brother!
mp

Yesterday, I recieved this email from an old friend who is now the Detachment Commander of ODA 384:

On 12OCT06 Chief Warrant Officer 2 Scott W. Dyer was killed in action in
Kandahar Province Afghanistan. It is with immense grief that I send this
message. The Assistant Detachment Commander of ODA 384, Scott was my right
hand, my friend, my brother and a great American. We, the team mourn our
loss. Scott was a veteran special forces soldier on his fifth combat tour.
One month ago today, he saved my life when both of us were trapped in an
enemy ambush. He was a legend in the regiment and knew absolutely everyone.
He was just an awesome person. Many of you know all of this. Our prayers
are with Jody and Casey and Sydney, thiers is the greatest tragedy. Our
hearts are broken but we soldier on as he always did. We held him, we
kissed the stars and stripes on his coffin, our tears are on his uniform.
God bless you Scott, you cannot be replaced.

NousDefionsDoc
10-13-2006, 19:05
En Paz Descanse Jefe

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-13-2006, 19:44
RIP Chief.

CoLawman
10-13-2006, 20:07
Rest in Peace.

Goggles Pizano
10-14-2006, 01:01
In pace requiescat Chief Dyer.

jbour13
10-14-2006, 02:53
Chief, you will be missed, it was an honor to provide you and your team support. Your character will be missed.

Today was a somber moment for all that participated in the memorial ceremony. CW2 Dyer and his fellow teammates have provided good support to our TF. I only had a brief encounter with him, but talked at length with the Tm SGT Eric. They, like so many others in this TF, are men of the highest caliber and it is an honor serving and providing the best support to the finest soldiers that America has to offer.

To those like CW2 Dyer and his family for making the ultimate sacrifice, Thank you.

KCU
10-14-2006, 04:35
Scott,

To you and those like you. Damn few left.

RIP -You'll never be forgotten.

Gypsy
10-14-2006, 08:13
Rest in blessed peace, my thoughts and prayers are with his family and Brothers.

Pete
10-14-2006, 08:41
RIP Soldier.

Pete

Ambush Master
10-14-2006, 09:05
Rest In Peace Brother.

Thoughts and prayers out for the Family and his Team.

MtnGoat
10-14-2006, 16:45
CW2 Scott Dyer

Rest in peace Jefe

May Gods hands lay upon your family and friends.

longtab
10-14-2006, 21:49
Rest in Peace...

MAB32
10-15-2006, 15:19
Rest in Peace

Abu Jack
10-15-2006, 16:01
Rest In Peace

uboat509
10-15-2006, 20:08
RIP, Brother.

SFC W

x SF med
10-16-2006, 06:33
Rest in Peace Chief. Prayers to your family, condolences to your Team.

kachingchingpow
10-16-2006, 09:01
Our condolencese to TF33, and Chief Dyers family. A close friend is a recent alumni of 3/3, and I've had the pleasure of spending some time and beers with several of you. You're in our prayers.

Dan
10-20-2006, 13:40
Thanks for the write-up Kevin

Selfless, loyal soldier remembered
By Kevin Maurer
Staff writer

Every time Chief Warrant Officer Scott W. Dyer’s niece tried to start singing, she broke into tears.

Standing in front of hundreds of soldiers, friends and family, 11-year-old Bailey Holland-Hill finally willed her way through “Amazing Grace.” The performance punctuated a solemn ceremony.

The 3rd Special Forces Group held a memorial for Dyer on Thursday morning at the John F. Kennedy Memorial Chapel on Fort Bragg.

During a mission Oct. 11, Dyer fell from a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter near Banditemur, Afghanistan. He died from his injuries at a military hospital in Kandahar.

Dyer, who lived in Sanford, was an assistant detachment commander assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group.

He was remembered as a selfless and loyal soldier who loved his family. Dyer lived every day to its fullest, his friends said.

More than 1,000 people attended the memorial. The chapel was full, and soldiers and friends stood along the walls and the back of the small church. A small tent was set up in the parking lot with a flat-screen TV and speakers as an alternate chapel.

Dyer’s boots, M-4 rifle, dog tags and green beret were displayed at the front of the chapel. They were flanked by the American flag and 3rd Group’s colors.

A childhood friend and a unit mate gave eulogies.

Chief Warrant Officer Derrick Fitts met Dyer in high school in Florida and was the best man at his wedding.

“I always knew what my friend was doing, where he was and when he was coming home,” Fitts said. “He always had a smile on his face and a good word to say.”

Fitts was a little older than Dyer and when Fitts joined the Army, Dyer saw him off. Dyer followed a few years later, enlisting as a cavalry scout in 1987.

Fitts said whenever Dyer came back to Florida on leave, he would sneak into Fitts’ apartment at midnight and wake him up by jumping on his bed. Once Fitts was awake, the two friends would go wake up their other friends.

“Nobody minded. We were always glad to see him,” Fitts said.

Dyer completed the Special Forces Qualification course in 1994, and he was assigned to 3rd Special Forces Group as a Special Forces engineer.

Chief Warrant Officer Woody Woodson served with him in 3rd Group. He described Dyer as a gregarious soldier who always strived to make things better for his team. He also had a quick wit and a good sense of humor.

Lt. Col. Joseph Coale gave the commander’s address. He didn’t know Dyer, but said he could tell a lot about the man from how his family loved him, the “depth of his reputation” and the company he kept.

“This is a family business and it hurts. We are all saddened by his loss and sacrifice,” he said fighting back tears.

Coale said today’s soldiers are the next “Greatest Generation.” The United States has been fighting longer than in World War II, and today’s Army is made up of all volunteers. He also said unlike in World War II, soldiers now are making multiple combat deployments. Dyer deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan. He also served in Bosnia and Haiti.

“It is not just punch your ticket and that is it. He had been to war and returned,” Coale said.

Dyer, 38, was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star medal for valor and the Purple Heart.

He is survived by his wife, Jodi; a son, Casey; and a daughter, Sidney. He also leaves two sisters and his parents.

Dyer will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery next week.

Staff writer Kevin Maurer can be reached at maurerk@fayettevillenc.com or 486-3587.

MtnGoat
10-20-2006, 16:08
Great write-up, print for other to read. THX for the post Dan.

LongWire
10-22-2006, 16:19
RIP Chief

JWoda383
07-22-2007, 19:52
As my career was coming to an end in SF, Scott was my warrant on the last team I was assigned too. Scott made my job as team sgt. a pleasure. He was a good man to see in the bird as you came in for a DA hit, a great friend, drinking buddy, work out partner and a hell of a good man. I can only hope and pray that Jody and the kids will always cherish the memories of a great husband and father. May Scott fly with the angels......Farewell, I hope to see you again......Jon

SF_BHT
07-22-2007, 20:40
RIP CHIEF!

NSDQ
08-16-2007, 21:12
Rest in Peace Chief. Thank You for your service & sacrifice.

NSDQ

SFS0AVN
08-17-2007, 11:07
RIP CWO Dyer.