PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical M1911 by Nighthawk

jswirski
10-13-2006, 01:06
I am thinking about getting two of these pistols when I get some money together, one to keep as is and one to add either a Dawson rail, or Caspian recon rail on to. I would appreciate any input you guys have before I spend that kind of money on it. Anyone been able to fire one?

Mr. Vickers web-site has all the specs on it, looks more or less the same as what most of the semi-custom makers offer as their "hard use" M1911's but with the added integral plunger tube, which seems like a great idea, a little surprised that it has not come out sooner.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/VT1911.htm

82ndtrooper
10-13-2006, 06:15
I have some pics of the original prototype "Vickers 1911" with the Crimson Trace Laser Grips. It appears that he's abandoned the choice of the laser grips as an option from Night Hawk Custom. Other than that, my pics are the same pistol.

If you'd like a set of the prototype pics, email me at srigg@fuse.net

It's an awful lot of money to spend to have the pistol sitting as a "Safe Queen" but hey, it's not my money. I'd rather shoot it than look at it.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2006, 08:08
I am thinking about getting two of these pistols when I get some money together, one to keep as is and one to add either a Dawson rail, or Caspian recon rail on to. I would appreciate any input you guys have before I spend that kind of money on it. Anyone been able to fire one?

Mr. Vickers web-site has all the specs on it, looks more or less the same as what most of the semi-custom makers offer as their "hard use" M1911's but with the added integral plunger tube, which seems like a great idea, a little surprised that it has not come out sooner.

http://www.vickerstactical.com/VT1911.htm

$2800 for a 1911 clone, you've got to be kidding......:rolleyes:

Why don't you save $2000 and move into the "New" millenium with a better handgun?

Team Sergeant

The Reaper
10-13-2006, 08:26
I am a 1911 fan, but I can think of a lot of things I would have used $5600 on when I was a young college student rather than two 1911s.

Do you have plenty of other guns, ammo, and accessories?

TR

jswirski
10-13-2006, 12:30
I am a 1911 fan, but I can think of a lot of things I would have used $5600 on when I was a young college student rather than two 1911s.

Do you have plenty of other guns, ammo, and accessories?

TR

Yes the money issue is the biggest issue currently, but this purchase most likely would not be made until after I am out of school. I was looking around Caspian and the raw parts would cost me substantially less, but then I would have to figure in cost of a good smith, and worry about the attention to detail he would put into it. Nighthawk has a great reputation concerning customer service and fixing their products, so I thought it would be a trade off.

I have a Springfield mil-spec, which is alright, was thinking of getting a Smith&Wesson PD1911, but really not sold on the external extractors, given the problems Kimber seemed to have with them, also was looking at the Kimber warrior, and then I read a few reviews of the Vickers, all of which praised it as a great "hard duty" pistol. That is what lead me to ask the question here. I also have an old WW2 era Colt that a friend of mine swiped from the Marine Corps, when he served in Vietnam, but that one needs a lot of work.

As to buying a pistol for the "New" millenium, :D somehow I knew that was going to come up. My uncle has a USP in .40, and a Glock 17, my cousin has a SIG P229 DAK. I am pretty familiar with all of them, and can not stand the Glock. The USP was alright but I really would prefer either a .45 or 10mm Auto round, and I am not sure how ergonomics would be with a .45, or if it comes in 10mm, but I was not terribly impressed with the ergonomics on the .40 either, cramped up my hand a bit. I also thought the SIG was nice, but I am not a fan of double action, especially double action only, automatics. Maybe if I ever can get a hold of a HK .45 that will be my new favorite, but until that day I am not a fan of buying a new system I am not as familiar with.

Huey14
10-13-2006, 15:14
There's only a couple of mm differance between the USP45 and the USP40 I understand, basicly in the grip because of the bigger round. So I'd imagine there's little differance to the ergos.

82ndtrooper
10-13-2006, 16:17
$5600 is an awful lot of money !!! Especially when your only going to own TWO firearms. If I had $5600 in disosable funds to purchase firearms, I'd likely purchase 3 H&K's, varying caliber USP's, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and maybe the Sig .357 cal and a decent SA 1911 that I do not already own.

On the other hand, I'm currently using the frame and slide of my SA Mil-Spec as a "Custom" project. Currently the pistol will have match grade trigger pars, flaired mag well, combat hammer, full length steel guide rod, etc, etc, etc, So far, without mentioning the brand names of parts, I'm up to about $1200 without any finishing. I will most likely use waffled grips in coyote tan with a satin blued finish and added checkering to the mainspring housing and the front strap. Add in some Novak combat sights, and I will finish this project for under $2000. It may not be the culmination of a Larry Vickers Tactical, but it will be my own baby !! For what it's worth.

fish78
10-13-2006, 16:33
$2800 for a 1911 clone, you've got to be kidding......:rolleyes:

Why don't you save $2000 and move into the "New" millenium with a better handgun?

Team Sergeant I am with the TS on this one I have owned quite a few 1911s over the years, I am down to 2 at the moment, and giving serious thought to unloading my Kimber Custom Shop that I have less than 800 in(put together when you could buy direct from their custom shop) for a SA XD45 plus some boot...which would leave me with a Series 70 that was reworked by Clarks and has their meltdown treatment...I think I paid about 300 for it back in the day and put about 900 into the custom work...its a keeper...not match accurate, but as good as I am and dead reliable...its time to move forward.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2006, 16:55
Let me tell you a secret; if you were to purchase the best race car in the world, with the finest pit crew 99.999999% of the people still could not beat Richard Petty in a car race.

My point being 99.9999% of the people cannot "out shoot" 99.9999% of the "off the shelf" hand guns and "off the shelf" ammo. To purchase a $3000 gun that normally sells for $600 ani’t going to make you any better shot.

If you cannot place all rounds in a one inch circle at 25 yards a $3000 single action shooter ain’t going to make it any better, but you’ll look great missing!

TS
Looking for a Gucci range bag.

stanley_white
10-13-2006, 18:24
Let me tell you a secret; if you were to purchase the best race car in the world, with the finest pit crew 99.999999% of the people still could not beat Richard Petty in a car race.

My point being 99.9999% of the people cannot "out shoot" 99.9999% of the "off the shelf" hand guns and "off the shelf" ammo. To purchase a $3000 gun that normally sells for $600 ani’t going to make you any better shot.

If you cannot place all rounds in a one inch circle at 25 yards a $3000 single action shooter ain’t going to make it any better, but you’ll look great missing!

TS

You beat me to it Team Sergeant!

Until you can out shoot your current firearm do not expect a new one to give you dramitic results accuracy wise.

For $5600 you could get a hell of a lot of training!

jswirski
10-13-2006, 20:19
Oh I was not looking for the gun to make me a better shot, that’s what my mil-spec is for :) I am probably an average shot, poor compared to most of you guys, I do not have the time to go to the range as much as I used to sadly, been a bit busy this past year. I would never buy a pistol based on the style effect. The Vickers would have been my carry and home protection pistol. I am really glad that I made the post here though; I am getting a lot of great feedback. Looks like I will probably not be buying this particular pistol, I will probably take closer looks at Kimber, Springfield and Para-Ordinance before I sink $2800 on a pistol. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.

82ndtrooper
10-14-2006, 08:14

TS

TS...........if you find that Gucci range bag let us all know where and how much. I'm sure some street vendor on the corner of Park and Lexington in NYC will have a knock off for $20.....:munchin

JSWIRSKI,
Here's a review of the Night Hawk Custom "Vickers Tactical" He states that he did not want a full length guide rod due to the need to field strip the pistol. Personally, I'd want a full length guide rod if I'm going to spend $2,800 + on a semi custom production 1911. I've found that the weapon recoils straight and true more to my liking than a standard 1911 guide rod. He also does not have an ambidextrious extended thumb safety on his current model. Unless it's an option that I have not seen on the websight. Yet another small extra that can be found on 1911's that cost half that much.

I dont believe anyone here doubts Larry Vickers skills as an expert pistol gunsmith, or as an operator having spent his entire enlistment with USASOC, but he was championing his H&K45, that is until the "JP" program was scraped. I wonder if he'd still give the H&K45 the enthusiastic "No more 1911's for me" since it's now likely not in the works ?

Heres the link:

http://ezine.m1911.org/nhcvt.htm

GreenMtnTac
10-26-2006, 01:12
I'm sure it's a wonderful pistol, but I'd never pay more than about half that price ($1400) for a 1911. You can get one reasonably accurate and 100 percent reliable long before the $2800 mark... so what are you getting for your money?

I suppose it's like paying $30,000 for a fancy Italian scatter gun, when a $500 870 will do the job just as well.

NightHawk756
12-15-2006, 10:39
A close friend of mine just received his Nighthawk Vicker's Tactical 1911. He showed it to me, but I have yet to go shoot with it yet.

I actually told him....basically what has been said here, for the most part. But, it's what he wanted. He definately didn't buy it for asthetics or thinking he'll shoot better. I think he really just wanted to buy a quality 1911 and all the hype sucked him in.

If and when I get to shoot it, I'll report back. I think we need to do a comparo with his and one of our standard "low buck" 1911's and see what results we get.;)