PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Glass Breaker

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 12:16
Do any of you folks have any experience with carbide glass/window breakers? I don't but have been asked to consider this as part of a folding knife design for emergency services people. Would this have any use for you guys?

Smokin Joe
04-04-2004, 16:54
A few guys have them on folders in my department. I think they are a cool idea, but on the other side of the coin cops carry batons (or atleast they should be carrying batons with them) and the only thing I'm going to use that sissy ass colaspable baton for is breaking a window. :)

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 17:29
That's the kind of answer I'm watching for...

NousDefionsDoc
04-04-2004, 17:51
and the only thing I'm going to use that sissy ass colaspable baton for is breaking a window.

Ah, a sparring partner! If you think the ASP is sissy, you have not been properly trained, my fine Johnny Law friend. I highly suggest you enter The Crucible in Virginia and tell my good friend and H2H mentor Keldog about the sissy-assed ASP. LOL

Be sure you take a trauma surgeon, a paramedic will do you no good. :lifter

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 17:54
Here's what I've been told about the carbide points used to break out auto glass, side windows of cars are supposed to break out easy and the fine/sharp carbide point makes these shatter pretty good. Yes I asked this question to a group who uses the "properly applied" amount of (ok, usually overwhelming) force. These could seem to be pretty dainty feature to some. Anyone else?

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 17:55
Uh Oh, NDD is awake...

NousDefionsDoc
04-04-2004, 17:58
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Uh Oh, NDD is awake...

Always Maestro.:D

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 18:00
I never thought otherwise.

ktek01
04-04-2004, 18:21
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Here's what I've been told about the carbide points used to break out auto glass, side windows of cars are supposed to break out easy and the fine/sharp carbide point makes these shatter pretty good. Yes I asked this question to a group who uses the "properly applied" amount of (ok, usually overwhelming) force. These could seem to be pretty dainty feature to some. Anyone else?

An automatic center punch is supposed to work well too.

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 19:54
Yes I've heard of the automatic type (self firing with applied pressure) center punches working for this purpose.

Surgicalcric
04-04-2004, 20:01
Here is what we use around the fire service and EMS. With its spring loaded punch and serrated edge it is very handy around auto-vehicle accidents.

http://store.smith-wesson.com/content/00/01/32/37/85/userimages/195190000_large.jpg

Were you thinking of integrating the punch into a knife or a stand alone item? S&W pretty much has the market sewn up with the knife above, as there is no other widely marketed knives with such a feature.

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 20:06
Is the punch on the knife mentioned spring loaded or fixed? There are a no. of folders with the carbide tip fixed at butt end of handle. (MOD comes to mind) Thanks for showing me that!

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 20:10
Yes I was thinking of how to put the carbide point in the folding knife, that way one article has both tools, blade and punch. This may not be of much praticle use to you guys unless it can reak plexiglass. Lexan ("bulletproof" plexiglass) is too good a stuff to try and break, I can hammer on it at the anvil and it will just deform like steel without cracking.

Bill Harsey
04-04-2004, 20:11
spelling sure sucked on that last post...sorry.

Ambush Master
04-04-2004, 21:07
The springloaded punch is the way to go, but I have heard that a "Broken piece of ceramic", as in a peice of Spark Plug will uncork a piece of Safety Glass when struck. Something about the irregular/crystalline nature of the ceramic disrupting the molecular integrity of the safety glass.

Lexan /Polycarbonate "Plexiglas" is totally different from automotive safety glass.

EMTs, what can you folks expand on this. Bill is looking for ideas here to make a life saving tool for you and the rest of us.

Thanks, and take care.
Martin

Surgicalcric
04-04-2004, 21:30
The S&W is a spring loaded window punch.

If you are trying to make one that will break the Safety Glass used in windshields you may want to rethink this venture. Windshield glass is lexan sandwiched between two pieces of tempered glass. It is designed to spider, but not shatter. If access is required thru the windshield I more often than not will use a Glass-Master windshield saw , a reciprocating saw, or or an axe.

The folder/window-punch that S&W makes, while a good punch is a horrible knife. The blade dulls fast and is very difficult to sharpen given its shape. The handle is a plastic substance that is not very durable and is not slip resistance at all which causes the knife to slip easily in the hand when trying to cut thru webbing and cloth or other tough material.

On the design side of hings, something with an actuation button similar to a stilletto knife would be an improvement. The lever/slide action of the S&W is somewhat of a pain as the polycarb handle begins to wear.

To be honest, I have not used mine in some time because its a pain in the ass to hold onto. Seems like its worn out as soon as its worn in.

HTH.

James D

Smokin Joe
04-05-2004, 07:28
Bill,

The guys around here that have them are carrying the M.O.D. CQD knives.

[NDD,

The ASP is a good weapon if you can strike to the head and collar bone. BUT we can't do that unless we are justified in using deadly force. We can only strike to the thigh or bi-cep as a primary striking target. That is why my opinion is so low with them (b/c of the limitations put on us by our department). With those limitations give me the new X-26 Taser.

(Back to our regularly scheduled program)]

Roguish Lawyer
04-15-2004, 14:42
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
the only thing I'm going to use that sissy ass colaspable baton for is breaking a window.

I guess you'll never work for LAPD. LOL