PDA

View Full Version : Security Council Nominates S. Korea's Ban to Succeed Annan

lrd
10-09-2006, 10:55
Security Council Nominates S. Korea's Ban to Succeed Annan

Monday , October 09, 2006

UNITED NATIONS — The U.N. Security Council officially nominated South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon on Monday as the next secretary-general, and he said he would work to resolve the North Korean nuclear crisis.

Under the U.N. Charter, the 15-member Security Council makes a recommendation for the next secretary-general to the 192-member General Assembly, which must give final approval.

"The Security Council has just recommended to the General Assembly that Mr. Ban Ki-moon be appointed secretary-general of the United Nations" on Jan. 1 when Secretary-General Kofi Annan's second five-year term expires, Japan's U.N. Ambassador Kenzo Oshima told reporters after the council voted at a private meeting.

In Seoul, Ban expressed gratitude for being nominated and said he would work to resolve the crisis over North Korea's nuclear program after the communist country conducted an unprecedented atomic test.

If appointed to the top job at the global body, Ban said he would "contribute as much as I can to the resolution of all kinds of problems including the North Korean nuclear issue that may threaten international peace and security."

Ban was nominated by the U.N. Security Council to succeed Kofi Annan, whose term expires at the end of the year. He faces likely confirmation for the job by the U.N. General Assembly.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218899,00.html

Trip_Wire (RIP)
10-09-2006, 11:18
Security Council Nominates S. Korea's Ban to Succeed Annan

Monday , October 09, 2006

UNITED NATIONS — The U.N. Security Council officially nominated South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon on Monday as the next secretary-general, and he said he would work to resolve the North Korean nuclear crisis.

Under the U.N. Charter, the 15-member Security Council makes a recommendation for the next secretary-general to the 192-member General Assembly, which must give final approval.

"The Security Council has just recommended to the General Assembly that Mr. Ban Ki-moon be appointed secretary-general of the United Nations" on Jan. 1 when Secretary-General Kofi Annan's second five-year term expires, Japan's U.N. Ambassador Kenzo Oshima told reporters after the council voted at a private meeting.

In Seoul, Ban expressed gratitude for being nominated and said he would work to resolve the crisis over North Korea's nuclear program after the communist country conducted an unprecedented atomic test.

If appointed to the top job at the global body, Ban said he would "contribute as much as I can to the resolution of all kinds of problems including the North Korean nuclear issue that may threaten international peace and security."

Ban was nominated by the U.N. Security Council to succeed Kofi Annan, whose term expires at the end of the year. He faces likely confirmation for the job by the U.N. General Assembly.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218899,00.html

I'm happy with this change! He has to do better then Annan! I wish him luck; however, I doubt that the UN will ever solve anything. :munchin

CPTAUSRET
10-09-2006, 15:34
Couldn't be worse than Annan!

BoyScout
10-09-2006, 20:42
CAPTAUSRET: Couldn't be worse than Annan!

I agree. Too corrupt, too weak. I hope Ban can do a much better job. It shouldn't that hard.