PDA

View Full Version : Combat Correspondent/War Reporting

SAWTooth
10-04-2006, 13:23
I'm looking for information from vets and, with any luck, any foreign correspondents that may be lurking here.

I'm interested in going to Iraq as a journalist and just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or experience along these lines. So far, I've only found limited information about this topic (there's no Dummies Guide for How to Become a War Reporter). From my understanding, volunteers are in short supply, so I was hoping my ambition would help make up for my limited journalism experience. I'm sure they need gear-monkeys that can hump and run to lug cameras and equipment, and I'd be willing to start off at the bottom. :D

This might be an odd place to ask about such things, but I figured that some of you might have interacted with war reporters while deployed and may have some advice or information.

I would appreciate any info you can give, and since I'm a Marine you can count on anything I put to print being supportive to the efforts of our fighting men and women.

Roe

Note: I searched the archives for any threads related to this and was unsuccessful. If I missed something, I apologize and would appreciate being pointed to the appropriate thread.

x SF med
10-04-2006, 15:03
Talk to the PAO, otherwise, no comment - and back in the day, if you were a reporter and not a military reporter and took my picture - I'd have been court martialled for 1. breaking your camera, and 2. breaking the cameraman. Reporters are not well loved in the SOF community - even good press is bad press if there are pictures, names, and or locations.

As a combat arms person you ought to realize OPSEC is key, one picture can kill a lot of people, one fact or comment too may can kill a lot of people, one name can destroy whole operations, kill teams and compromise security for a whole region, and kill a lot of people.

Altruism is great, but you will be part of the media corporation - keep searching and reading here, you'll see how little loved the media is by QPs.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-04-2006, 19:47
This might be an odd place to ask about such things, but I figured that some of you might have interacted with war reporters while deployed and may have some advice or information. .

Well Tooth I once had a reporter show up at my A-Camp at Mang Buk, SVN. He was an ex-Marine and basically a good guy. He had come with a whole list of things he wanted to do but I set the ground rules. He wanted to go out on an operation with us but I nixed that because I had enough to worry about with the little people and the hostiles and did not want to have to worry about him. He sniveled for a little while, told me he was a combat vet, ensured me that he would not get in the way. I asked him to explain to me what he was going to do if we walked into an ambush, I asked him to explain what he was going to do when we wanted to leave a sterile site and sterile trail, and I asked him a several other simple, but pertinent questions. He had good answers for all of them that were appropriate if he was going out with a Marine Platoon but none of it was appropriate for what we did or were about to do. I will admit this, he did give us a good write up in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, but I was sort of pissed that he referred to me as a short, thick shouldered Captain as I am not short but just wound up tight. I guess the bottom line is this, as well intentioned as reporters may be, and I am sure you are probably the exception to the rule, they all have agendas. I do not talk to reporters, have never (other than the time he was forced on me by Nha Thrang with no way out by helicopter) allowed one anywhere near one of my tactical units, never gave an interview until I retired and then had an agreement ahead of time of what could and could not be printed, and if asked would never encourage anyone to allow a reporter within camera focal length or hearing of the unit. Getting the word out about the military is the PAOs job as they usually have a modicum of understanding about the unit, the mission, the sensitivities and the people. Reporters that are not part of a unit see only what they want to see and base their understanding often on their own frame of reference which, as we have seen during the most recent unpleasantness, to be way off the mark, facilitate the enemy, undermine the effort, and have little perspective for the entire picture. So I guess, in your case, you are probably pleased that you will not be dealing with me. Nothing personal here, but you did ask.

The Reaper
10-04-2006, 20:10
I tend to agree with the Colonel.

In general, I feel that reporters are looking for a story that reinforces their personal feelings, or those of their boss. The agendas are first and reporting is second. Look at Abu Ghraib. American soldiers are hazing prisoners. Maybe they were being humiliated, maybe they just said that.

There are too few Joe Galloways and Ernie Pyles out there today.

I would not give an interview if I were on Active Duty. A lot of bad things can happen, and not too many good ones. I saw a buddy of mine who was a CSM during the combat phase of OIF take about ten questions from a reporter who had been imbedded with him and who rode in his vehicle throughout the invasion. For ten questions, I think he used eleven words to reply, if you took out the "Sirs". The reporter never interviewed him again, That looked like a good plan to me.:D

TR

stone
10-05-2006, 16:00
SAWTooth,

Aside from the important concerns already addressed by the QPs, there's the issue of money-- Because unless you're independently wealthy or doing it on someone else's dime, it can get awfully expensive.... hotels, cars, translators, fixers, and bodyguards all charge a crapload of money (generally speaking); they're pretty savvy these days and know what they're worth. On the other hand, it's been done-- look at Michael Yon. Sponsership via a blog/website might be a place to start. Anyway, good luck-- we could certainly use another Ernie Pyle.

Matta mile
10-05-2006, 19:31
Sawtooth,
I hope you find what you are looking for but as was amply discussed by others previous to this posting, it has hopefully become clear to you that the media has a job to do which is not likely to mesh well with the actual potrayal of the ground truth. This may lead to alot of disenchanment as you attempt to go forward in a career in journalism as those deals (which we are willing to die for as Soldiers and Marines), are clouded by economics and timing. In any event, thanks for your service and best wishes to you in obtaining and being able to report the truth as it, much like being a Marine or soldier, is indeed a noble cause.
MM

Peregrino
10-05-2006, 22:52
SAWTooth - Check out the CPOL website. They're looking for some reporters probably for the PAO offices. At least that way you are guaranteed access. Nobody I know will be willing to talk to you either way but at least you can build a resume. FWIW - Peregrino