PDA

View Full Version : Associate Degree for 18D?

Doc Diego
10-04-2006, 12:03
Any solid info on whether the 18D training will qualify for an AS degree?

Kyobanim
10-04-2006, 12:59
Look here. (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11255)

The Reaper
10-04-2006, 13:17
The search button, it isn't just for kids!

TR

Doc Diego
10-04-2006, 19:14
Having searched and finding squat.... Anything new on an AS Degree for the
18D training?

soldierdoc_2005
10-25-2006, 14:33
Having searched and finding squat.... Anything new on an AS Degree for the
18D training?

Doc Diego,

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your question is "no".

Allow me to explain:

Only the Air Farce has Assoc. Degrees awarded to their service members. It is the CCAF and every E-Grade member of the AF is "enrolled". Their MOS training and general education courses can get them a Degree awarded from the CCAF (Community College of the Air Force). It isn't some "hokey" $hit, either. The CCAF is fully Accredited.

As for your individual situation, I recommend you pull a copy of your AARTs, get a hold of every transcript from every college/University you have attended, pick a few colleges you wish to attend, and have them do a pre-evaluation on your military/civilian education.

Don't let 'em B.S. you into "oh, we will evaluate your credit transferability AFTER you complete 3 courses." If they pull that, move to the next one.

In fact, you can PM me if you would like some help. I have friends in places :-)

Respectfully,

~Eric

Surgicalcric
10-25-2006, 15:34
Doc Diego,

To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your question is "no".

Respectfully,

~Eric

Not to sharp shoot you by any means but your second hand information isnt accurate with respect to 18D receiving an Assoc Degree.

According to the information we, SFMS class 04-06, received from the Asst Dean of the SWMG(A) when we started the course, we will be receiving Associates Degrees for our studies at the end of the SFQC, as will every class after us. At that time, March '06, they were unsure how many would be "grandfathered" in.

As for the AF, I havent a clue.

I will let you guys know more after I graduate (no jokes from the peanut gallery and you know who you are).

Crip

x SF med
10-25-2006, 16:19
Crip-
It's great to hear you guys will be getting Assoc. Degrees - we received a transcript from the Baylor Medical School when I went through, for about 38 credits, and when I got out - nobody would accepot them. Their excuse - these are for some kind of army 'first aid classes' even though the names were Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Patient Care, etc. It makes me happy to know that you guys are getting the recognition you deserve for being the best non-doctor medical professionals out there. So, when do you graduate again? With all the time you spent in the course, maybe you deserve a Bachelor's...... (c'mon, you knew it was coming, at least you got a compliment first)

soldierdoc_2005
10-25-2006, 18:19
Not to sharp shoot you by any means but your second hand information isnt accurate with respect to 18D receiving an Assoc Degree.

Crip

Crip,

No troubles with the "sharp shoot". That's the beauty of an open forum: someone always has more current, actionable information.

Respectfully,

~Eric

Surgicalcric
10-25-2006, 20:17
Crip-
...So, when do you graduate again? (...you knew it was coming, at least you got a compliment first)

How could I not know...

Projected grad date for PH-III is 13 Feb 07. If I am able to DLPT out of phrench (intentional) my projected SFQC grad date is June 07. If I have to attend language school, grad date is Sept 07...

I am happy (read: content for now) to be in the SFQC and have my sights focused on the target to my immediate front. Of the 55 guys who originally started SFMS class 04-06 only 19 of us remain.

Crip

x SF med
10-26-2006, 06:52
Crip-
Keep on driving!!! We're pulling for you, although it would be cool if you set the record for most reenlistments while in the pipeline.....

aaronw
11-15-2006, 17:52
Of the 55 guys who originally started SFMS class 04-06 only 19 of us remain.

Yeah.. You guys need to start studying. Our class is getting fuggin huge:D

Surgicalcric
11-15-2006, 21:21
Yeah.. You guys need to start studying. Our class is getting fuggin huge:D

Us guys my butt... We are just dropping the dead weight. Besides, your class needs more personality, especially that class leader...wow is he uptight. I do wish we could drop a few more. It will save us having to peer them out later, or worse yet trust our lives to them.

I have truly come to despise guys trying to "just get by." The whole "a 74.5 is as good as a 94.5" mentality is gonna cost someone their life; but I digress.

Glad to see you are doing well bro.

Crip

aaronw
11-16-2006, 17:16
Most of the guys I know who tried to eek by are now studying hard in the class behind me :boohoo

I've noticed something at JSOMTC though.. Whatever class youre in the class behind you is a bunch of shitbags :D

rab97
12-13-2006, 16:12
Class 03-06 guy here and that is true...all of you other guys are indeed shitbags! ;)

x SF med
12-13-2006, 17:05
Class 03-06 guy here and that is true...all of you other guys are indeed shitbags! ;)

Be careful rab... don't start pissing on people's legs who may be on your team in the future, esp. if they might be a higher rank than you.

rab97
12-15-2006, 16:42
It's all in good humor. We're constantly reminded how we've achieved nothing so I guess all of us lowly students are s-bags of some form. Thanks for the warning though, and now I'll go back to monitoring for good information. Have a happy holiday season. ;)

ajax
08-05-2007, 15:48
What AS degree do 18D's receive?

Needle D
08-10-2007, 05:09
Crip,
Has anyone mentioned getting degrees for guys already through? I doubt they will but i was just wondering if the cadre had mentioned us at all? Thanks

SFS0AVN
08-10-2007, 09:08
Be careful rab... don't start pissing on people's legs who may be on your team in the future, esp. if they might be a higher rank than you.

+1, don't burn the bridges in either direction.
It is nice to see the chance of getting AA degrees now. We just received a few credits through the Post Education center.

Books
08-10-2007, 19:31
Back to the original intent of this post. . . I've no idea if the AAS/AS degree is still in the works, but Campbell University has a program as does Western Carolina University for a Bachelors. You have to take some more classes, but if you're degree hunting. . .

Here's a link for the WCU bit.

http://www.soc.aascu.org/socad/18D.html

I'll see if I can find any info on the Cambell.

Books

Ambush Master
08-10-2007, 20:32
Crip,
Has anyone mentioned getting degrees for guys already through? I doubt they will but i was just wondering if the cadre had mentioned us at all? Thanks

Hell, Crip is going to get a Degree for just getting through the Q!!!!!:D :munchin

Priest
06-23-2009, 14:04
Has anyone gone through the process of applying for and receiving the credits through WCU? Was just curious if its a viable option or not.

Surgicalcric
06-23-2009, 14:14
Yes; there are several guys I know of who have received the credits for the 18D course, a couple of which have finished their degrees so far.

It is more than worth the time and effort for those who dont have an undergraduate degree.

Crip

uboat509
06-25-2009, 15:42
I just found out today that I will not be going to WCU. It seems that they lost a bunch of funding for their EMS program and instead of two classes of sixty per year they are down to one class of twenty per year. The guy I talked to in admissions was very polite and helpful but he told me that in order to be competitive for this program an applicant needs to have at least sixty transfer credits. That's sixty actual college credits on top of whatever they will give you for your military training (around sixty for an 18D). I don't have that and will not have that any time soon. So WCU is a great deal for 18Ds, IF they already have a bunch of college.

SFC W

whocares175
09-02-2009, 13:31
i dont know how the college credits worked previously for 18d's but i do know in about 2 weeks the school will finish the accrediation process. as for what will happen next i have no clue. been too busy worrying about all 8000 of these tests everyweek to research much more. as i find out more i'll let you guys know.

Slaby
07-10-2010, 13:44
deleted

Aequitas
07-10-2010, 13:55
I was recently admitted into the Western Carolina University BS degree in Emergency Medical Care program for this fall. I'll post more details on how many credits I get from 18D and previous college experience once I get the ball rolling...

rab97
07-12-2010, 20:46
FYI for qualified 18D's...The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) has set up a similar program to the Western Carolina University one for guys looking for options.

Richard
07-12-2010, 20:54
For historical background:

In my time, the 91B4S PMOS gave you a year's worth of college credit and the recognition to challenge the LPN exam for certification in a number of states. An additional year's worth of specified credits would give you an ADN (Associate Degree - Nursing) in several states.

Richard :munchin

whocares175
08-15-2010, 16:14
i've talked to mr cox several times regarding this issue...all i get is "its still in the works. the accreditation committe came and made their recommendations now we're just waiting." so who knows....i know, as many have already stated, that several colleges offer many different options. university of phoenix, campbell (probably the best one to deal with considering they have classes at night at JSOMTC), western carolina university, etc.

hadjiholdblue
10-03-2011, 08:46
Fresh out of the schoolhouse here,

Last word was that it was indeed true. You can apply your time at the JSOMTC to a college and receive credits, aroundish 90something. Get in touch with the education at Bragg and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Rumor of those same hours being applied for a BS also. You have to take a few classes online thru the same college and you'll receive a BS in Emergency Medical something. I keep using the "something" because, as I said, this is rumor.

Call the education center at Bragg.

FloridaMike
10-27-2011, 18:14
Last out brief for class 01-12 on Oct 21, 2011 was from the Director of Education at SWCS and the word was this: ALL SFQC grads will be receiving an AA degree. This includes all MOS's. The Q will be worth 48 credits and you will take the other 17 credits to total 65 credits. 18D will have a slightly different degree discipline (obviously) but other than that, it is mandatory to take those extra 17 credits and get your AA. So if you're in the chute for the Q, I'd use my time wisely and knock em out.

Mike Out

Team Sergeant
10-27-2011, 18:15
Last out brief for class 01-12 on Oct 21, 2011 was from the Director of Education at SWCS and the word was this: ALL SFQC grads will be receiving an AA degree. This includes all MOS's. The Q will be worth 48 credits and you will take the other 17 credits to total 65 credits. 18D will have a slightly different degree discipline (obviously) but other than that, it is mandatory to take those extra 17 credits and get your AA. So if you're in the chute for the Q, I'd use my time wisely and knock em out.

Mike Out

Oh that's got to be BullS**T, you mean to tell me the 18B's are really going to get an AA? :D

SF_BHT
10-27-2011, 18:19
Oh that's got to be BullS**T, you mean to tell me the 18B's are really going to get an AA? :D

HAY They have to count how many rounds they load into their MAG's:p

Team Sergeant
10-27-2011, 18:26
HAY They have to count how many rounds they load into their MAG's:p

You and I both know they don't count, they just keep putting them in until they won't go......

Eagle5US
10-27-2011, 18:52

Mike Out

I wonder if that goes for FORMER graduates as well?

Would be an interesting (and positive) thing if there was a bridge program of sorts.

PRB
10-27-2011, 19:13
Most of the guys I know who tried to eek by are now studying hard in the class behind me :boohoo

I've noticed something at JSOMTC though.. Whatever class youre in the class behind you is a bunch of shitbags :D

That has nothing to do with JSOMTC...that is just the way it is.....similar inscriptions on the Pyramids in Egypt about the Aholes that built the little earth mounds....

mojaveman
10-27-2011, 19:32
Phase II 18B should be worth at least a few credits towards a vocational education in gunsmithing.

alright4u
10-27-2011, 23:29
Crip-
It's great to hear you guys will be getting Assoc. Degrees - we received a transcript from the Baylor Medical School when I went through, for about 38 credits, and when I got out - nobody would accepot them. Their excuse - these are for some kind of army 'first aid classes' even though the names were Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmacology, Patient Care, etc. It makes me happy to know that you guys are getting the recognition you deserve for being the best non-doctor medical professionals out there. So, when do you graduate again? With all the time you spent in the course, maybe you deserve a Bachelor's...... (c'mon, you knew it was coming, at least you got a compliment first)

I recall in early 75 about March a very solid A team CO was on the RIF chopping block. He was a fine soldier who had taken his team to Europe and won every SF event/training they did. So he was no longer a CPT, but; he went to the Army's PA school. I doubt he has lost much sleep in the private world over that decision.

f50lrrp
10-28-2011, 09:32
June 17, 2011
Military.com|by Christian Lowe

FORT BRAGG, N.C. --- Special Forces Soldiers are some of the smartest, most highly-trained servicemembers in the U.S. military. The elite troops spend years not only learning the lethal art of warfare, but also honing their skills as diplomats, linguists, and cultural experts.
But despite all their training, many are left with few options for employment when it’s time to leave the service.
Recognizing the marketable skills learned in their Special Forces careers, the Army’s Special Warfare Center here has developed a program to apply more of their skills toward a bachelor’s degree.
“The Special Forces Soldier is incredibly well trained, but he’s ‘undereducated,’ ” said Lt. Col. David Walton, the head of regional studies and education at the SWC. “That’s not because he doesn’t want to be. It’s because he’s so busy training and deploying that he doesn’t have time.”
So Walton solicited civilian academia to find programs that could better leverage a special operator’s experience toward college-level credit.
Imagine using a basic land navigation qualification to validate Geography 110 at an undergraduate institution, Walton offered.
Through a rigorous evaluation program conducted by a local community college, SWC officials were able to correlate several of their core training courses with up to 48 credit hours of college-level coursework. If a Soldier wants to enroll in the degree program, he has to take another 17 credit hours of courses through Fayetteville Technical Community College, including English composition, math, and professional research.
Once they’ve completed the community college hours, SF Soldiers receive an associate’s degree and can use that credential to enroll in a North Carolina state college degree program as a junior.
For its part, the Army wanted to get a return on its investment by requiring Soldiers take courses for college credit that help them as Green Berets.
During missions, SF team members often have to brief officers and staff on operations, but the SWC doesn’t offer a course that teaches public speaking, for example. So Walton made it a requirement for the associate’s degree program.
“Here’s a classic way that an education for college students can help you be a better special operator,” Walton said.
The program is also open to Green Berets returning to the schoolhouse between deployments, or even civilian contractors at the school who are SF alums.
“I knew a college degree would be important once I retired and even while I’m still in for promotions,” said Sgt. 1st Class Mike Gruver, a communications NCO and Special Forces operator who’s studying for a degree in applied physics. “This is really the first time I’ve ever had an opportunity realistically to get a college degree instead of just floundering.”
While it might not seem like much of a rest after years of deployments and high-level warfare schools, Gruver said the schedule is focused on helping Soldiers knock out the associate’s degree requirements in less than three months.
“It was very time consuming. … It was a bit of an adjustment for my family,” Gruver said. “But it was no worse than being back on a team.”
And with as much as two years towards a bachelor’s degree completed well before retirement, the program is worth all the extra time and effort.
Some operators “can go from having no college degree at all to within a very short time having their bachelor’s degree,” Gruver said. “And all they have to do is go through this program to get that degree to tie it all in.”

http://www.military.com/news/article/plan-turns-green-beret-into-a-college-degree.html :lifter

whocares175
11-02-2011, 17:47
that associates program was a pilot program when i was there. not sure about the how it's being integrated now. as for 18D's, i'm been looking for a degree program for 18D's and have found a few ok ones. Western Carolina Univ will give 56 credit hours towards a bachelors of emergency management for D's. SOCM grad's get 4 credit hours. the problem is while the credits will count towards a degree, if you're looking to do the PA program they dont count as PA School doesn't recognize credits for awarded for MOS. when i talked to campbell they said i'd get 26 credit hours towards a bachelor degree. i didnt even listen to anything else they said. Pikes Peak community college will award 45 credits towards an Associates. haven't checked American Military Univ yet though. another issue i've found is that none of the colleges will award you credits until you complete 6 credit hours with them. even CLEP testing.

pjbluetogreen
02-14-2012, 18:00
TUI (www.trident.edu) and Excelsior College (www.excelsior.edu) both have bride programs for guys that have their NREMT-P.
TUI has a BA in Emergency management that is all on line taking about 8-10 classes depending on your prereqs. (english, math etc.)
Excelsior has an RN-AS degree that again is only about 8-10 classes depending on your education back round. The RN program is a CLEP and DANTES based program that can be done at most bases or posts around the world. The only issue I have seen is being able to pay for the State Board tests in order to graduate.

I hope that this info helps some guys further their education. Good luck and God Bless.

CL

Br0k3r
12-10-2012, 11:26
Here is some current information that was put out in the school house recently. Thought I might pass it on for others not currently in house.

http://www.northcarolinahealthnews.org/2012/12/04/new-unc-program-will-turn-army-medics-into-local-practitioners/

Eagle5US
12-10-2012, 18:18
Here is some current information that was put out in the school house recently. Thought I might pass it on for others not currently in house.

http://www.northcarolinahealthnews.org/2012/12/04/new-unc-program-will-turn-army-medics-into-local-practitioners/
You must be referring to THIS THREAD (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40167) that already has 21 posts...in this same forum.

I sure hope you are paying better attention "at the schoolhouse" than you are here.

Search button, read more, post less.