CPL James Smith
SPC Richard Kowalewski
PFC James Martin

Black Hawk Down
Anonymous

"Black Hawk Down!" across the net came the cry
A wisp from the ground brought fire to sky
Two hundred heads turned in that moment so clear
Yet not a first thought their own lives' fear.

Pilot, soldier, sailor, crew
Hell's fire below meant nothing to you
Yet into the maelstrom only two could leap
Against oppression fury they would reap

I can still see them coughing against the desert sand
Fearing naught, an upraised hand
Gesturing towards the fallen, neither haughty nor proud
They disappeared quickly into the rising cloud

Nothing further could I offer, they doubtless knew
As towards the injured with wings they flew
Through smoke, through fire, and failing light
Two soldiers together entered a selfless night

They gave without asking
A reward never known
They sacrificed freely
And our brother came home.

NSDQ
10-03-2006, 20:39
Rest in Peace Brothers & Warriors, Thank you for your service,courage, selflessness, & sacrifice. May the God of Freedom watch over your own & keep them safe.
I will never forget.

Gypsy, thank you for the post & the poem to these fallen heroes & for remembering their sacrifice.

NSDQ

Goggles Pizano
10-03-2006, 20:43
A very bad day. In pace requiescat men.

huntcg
10-03-2006, 22:33
Rest in Peace, Warriors. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten.

jasonglh
10-03-2006, 22:59
Not forgotten.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-04-2006, 05:14
Never forgotten. I still can remember word for word the phone call I got about Timmy Martin. Bad day all around. RIP.

x SF med
10-04-2006, 06:39
Gary, Randy - I still miss you guys. DOL - "The Best".

An afterthought upon reading Texian's post.

Condolences are for the familes these men left behind.
We as QPs know the risks of our chosen profession, and shoulder them willingly, we have asked to take this burden upon ourselves. The men who have gone on, my friends, my collegues, my teachers - especially Gary and Randy and Tim - chose to go even further, to save fallen comrades, and they were going to rope in whether they got the ok or not (trust me, Gary never left anyone behind, even in training, he expected as much or more than he gave) because their honor demanded it of them. My life was changed by knowing these men, my life was changed when I found out they went above and beyond, my faith in my comrades, and in the Special Operations Community was bolstered. What they did bolstered all of our honor - I am sad, not for me, but for the loss to the younger SF guys who will never have had the chance to learn from these men, I am proud to have known them, lucky to have served with them, and a better person form being trained and 'corrected' by them.

Every day, I think about them. Every day, I follow their example. Every day, I pray that our young SF guys have people like them to guide and train them.

I am sad at their loss, but want no condolences, I have to honor them by keeping my honor and my integrity intact as a living memorial.

Peace brothers, you are heroes.

(another edit: I just went back through the list - 10th Group was over-represented in those who gave their all that fateful day in Somalia - Gary, Randy, Grizz and those who gave more than they had to LTC Harrell [now BG], Steve, Brad... all people I had at least met, most I had worked with and trained with. then CPT(p) Harrell had my ass on a plate one time due to some inter-company rivalry - never made it to my record, but I paid for it, and met a true professional because of it, he had a great sense of humor. Brad is a pisser - I still remember him doing pushups holding his breath with a sling rope in his mouth practicing for SCUBA - then asking for a cold beer - and hall hockey games.)

Cincinnatus
10-04-2006, 07:48
Heroes all. RIP

The Reaper
10-04-2006, 08:24
RIP, Gents.

Thanks for your sacrifices.

TR

vsvo
10-04-2006, 08:48
RIP

AF IDMT
10-04-2006, 08:53
RIP

Texian
10-04-2006, 10:00
RIP to the men who died that day and prayers out to all who fought and bled in that Battle of the Black Sea. For those on this board who were there, thanks for everything you did for humanity not just on that day, but during the whole deployment.

My deepest condolences to those of you here who lost friends on that day

Weazle23
10-04-2006, 11:51
RIP, Blue Skys

I am proud to serve with the same flag on my shoulder.

CPTAUSRET
10-04-2006, 12:18
Gary, Randy - I still miss you guys. DOL - "The Best".

An afterthought upon reading Texian's post.

Condolences are for the familes these men left behind.
We as QPs know the risks of our chosen profession, and shoulder them willingly, we have asked to take this burden upon ourselves. The men who have gone on, my friends, my collegues, my teachers - especially Gary and Randy and Tim - chose to go even further, to save fallen comrades, and they were going to rope in whether they got the ok or not (trust me, Gary never left anyone behind, even in training, he expected as much or more than he gave) because their honor demanded it of them. My life was changed by knowing these men, my life was changed when I found out they went above and beyond, my faith in my comrades, and in the Special Operations Community was bolstered. What they did bolstered all of our honor - I am sad, not for me, but for the loss to the younger SF guys who will never have had the chance to learn from these men, I am proud to have known them, lucky to have served with them, and a better person form being trained and 'corrected' by them.

Every day, I think about them. Every day, I follow their example. Every day, I pray that our young SF guys have people like them to guide and train them.

I am sad at their loss, but want no condolences, I have to honor them by keeping my honor and my integrity intact as a living memorial.

Peace brothers, you are heroes.

(another edit: I just went back through the list - 10th Group was over-represented in those who gave their all that fateful day in Somalia - Gary, Randy, Grizz and those who gave more than they had to LTC Harrell [now BG], Steve, Brad... all people I had at least met, most I had worked with and trained with. then CPT(p) Harrell had my ass on a plate one time due to some inter-company rivalry - never made it to my record, but I paid for it, and met a true professional because of it, he had a great sense of humor. Brad is a pisser - I still remember him doing pushups holding his breath with a sling rope in his mouth practicing for SCUBA - then asking for a cold beer - and hall hockey games.)

Great post!!

jbour13
10-04-2006, 12:58
I've only met a few of those that had experienced that day. For those who fought, for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, you will always be remembered. I'm proud to serve under the same flag you have and will remain vigilant in your absence, you will not be forgotten.

SGT B

Texian
10-04-2006, 14:48
Great post!!
Amen