View Full Version : BAM!

Gypsy
09-24-2006, 08:13
This is pretty cool.

http://www4.army.mil/news/article.php?story=9611

Emeril sponsors military-only cooking contest
By Ashley Farrell

September 22, 2006

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Sept. 22, 2006) – If you're currently a chef on active duty, TV cooking-show icon Emeril Lagasse wants your favorite recipe.

Emeril is looking for a military chef who has the right recipe and knows how to use it. Any military chef who has a favorite dish can enter the first ever Military-Only Emeril Cooking Contest. Recipes ranging from jambalaya or marinated steak to specialty pies and appetizers all have a chance of winning.

"I have great respect for our men and women who serve in the military," Emeril said. "I also understand the challenges their chefs face stationed all over the world. We created this contest to acknowledge their hard work and dedication."

Emeril will pick his favorite entries, which will be used in an upcoming show. Recipes must be original creations and will be judged on creativity and, above all, taste.

The idea for the contest came from the show's great experience with the men and women of the armed forces, said Karen Katz, a producer for the "Emeril Live" program. An aircraft hanger at McGuire Air Force Base, in Lakehurst, N.J., was the taping site of one of 2005's best "Emeril Live" shows and "was a huge success," she said.

"We have continued to have great experiences with the military when they have been included on the show, so when the idea for the military-only cooking contest came up, we all were on board," Katz said.

The contest starts at 9 a.m. Eastern Time Sept. 25 and ends at 5 p.m. Oct. 9. Interested chefs can enter by visiting the Food Network Web site at www.FoodNetwork.com and completing an entry form online that outlines personal and military background and the recipe. Participants must be at least 18, U.S. residents and active-duty servicemembers.

"We are anxious to see what is being served out there," Katz said. "We are always amazed by what America is cooking and are excited to include chefs of the Armed Forces."

The Reaper
09-24-2006, 08:38
I have news for him.

The Army has very few cooks left since we civilianized the DFACs, and the Army cooks off of a master menu, which ensures that the SOS is the same at every installation. Any variations are minor and in most cases, accidental.

TR

JMI
09-24-2006, 08:56
"Kick it up a notch!"

I dig Emeril Lagasse and think this is pretty cool.

lksteve
09-24-2006, 10:23
let's give Emeril an MKT and a couple of breaks of T-rats and see what he can do...

lrd
09-24-2006, 21:55
We're fortunate to have an excellent CS here, with another one arriving soon.

The Chief's Mess at Whidbey Island used to have the best food on the island, and the CS in our last squadron was the envy of PSAB.

There aren't as many CSs as there used to be, but they sure can cook.

I wonder if they watch Emeril? ;)