PDA

View Full Version : A Milestone in the History of Sports

NousDefionsDoc
09-23-2006, 06:44
Today at approximately 12:30, when the umpire calls "Play ball!" (he will actually say "Juega!"), baseball history will be made. For the first time ever, a team selected, trained, mentored and led by a broken-down SF Medic will play in the Bogota Federation of Little League or whatever they are calling it this week. The Clasiccs will do battle against the Yankies on the main field. No, I didn't mis-spell the names. We are 0-0, the hated Yankies are 2-0.

While they have a strong team, we will rely on our superior speed, surprise and violence of action to overcome what they perceive to be their enormous advantage in that they have actually played together twice and they know the umpire. Some of them are no doubt in fact related to said "Blue".

While their evaluation of our OB is that we only have one pitcher (they are correct), we have prepared a strategic surprise - I'm not starting him. We will start a hard throwing 9 year-old that looks at the batter instead of the catcher when he throws, invariably hitting the first three he faces. Once we have their collective heads down behind the berm, we will bring in the ace that throws a strike every now and then. We hope Fear Swings will be the order of the day.

We will also be using English, shouted at the top of lungs, in psyop operations to confuse the enemy and get inside his OODA Loop.

The Kid has had his uniform on since 0630. I might have to put a leash on him to keep him from hurting someone. He's been yelling at me to "Get moving we have to go prep the Battle Space!" since about 0700. He may be channeling Ty Cobb, he's trying to sharpen his rubber cleats with a handheld pencil sharpener.

Come one come all. The pop is warm and the empanadas can be had three for a buck.

Just for the record, I tried to change the name of the team to "Indig". But there is something in the rules....at the State Department...

Gypsy
09-23-2006, 08:00
LOL!

Go Indi.....errrr Clasiccs! Baseball, apple pie and all that jazz. :D

jatx
09-23-2006, 08:10
Sounds like a great day in the making! :D

Jaeger1980
09-23-2006, 09:08
LOL :munchin

I like your strategy. Good luck to you and your team.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-23-2006, 12:06
I expect a complete AAR:D

vsvo
09-23-2006, 12:26
LOL! Best of luck, sounds like fun.

Goggles Pizano
09-23-2006, 12:31
That is a good time. Good luck Clasiccs!

NousDefionsDoc
09-23-2006, 15:23
AAR: We won 4-2. My starting Wild Man only hit one, but he went 4 innings. My ace reliever hit three batters, the first one square in the back. After that, the enemy wouldn't dig in to their fighting positions at home plate.

The Kid knocked out the opposing pitcher - hit a one hop shot right back at the mound and hit the pitcher in the shin. To his credit, the enemy had combat mindset - he picked the ball up and threw The Kid out at first before he started crying. I was impressed - The Kid wasn't.

The Kid also made 4-5 beautiful plays in the field, including throwing a runner out at home on a relay from the outfield. He went 3 for 4, scored 2 and drove in 1.

Biggest area for improvement was identified as finding a means to prevent the centerfielder from kicking dirt and picking flowers and actually play the game. We also had some issues with the DH's pants - suffice to say he is well fed.

The sun was shining, the umps were ok and all in all it was a great day -although I would have preferred Shock and Awe to small ball. I'll take the win anyway and rest easy knowing every player on the team played.

Gypsy
09-23-2006, 15:37
Outstanding! :lifter Sounds like The Kid and the team had a great day, I suspect The Coach did as well.

lrd
09-23-2006, 15:39
The sun was shining, the umps were ok and all in all it was a great day -although I would have preferred Shock and Awe to small ball. I'll take the win anyway and rest easy knowing every player on the team played.
The perfect wrap-up to your birthday!

NousDefionsDoc
09-23-2006, 15:42
Indeed it was lrd.

Many thanks for the best wishes and congratualtions to all that sent them.

casey
09-23-2006, 17:42
LOL, I can't get the picture of Walter Matthau with an M5 bag outta my head!!

Great job to both you and The Kid brother.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-23-2006, 18:58
Terrific. Thanks for the AAR.

Roguish Lawyer
09-23-2006, 22:00
LOL, nice work, Coach!

Roycroft201
09-23-2006, 23:44
Congratulations to both you, Coach, and The Kid for handing the Yankies their first loss !

Your reports are great - please keep us informed about future Clasiccs games.

The Kid is doing a super job :lifter

Roycroft201

vsvo
09-24-2006, 09:44
What a great day. Way to coach 'em up, NDD.

mugwump
09-24-2006, 10:02
Man that put a smile on my face. Thanks! Two of the best summers of my life were coaching my son when he was 12 and 13 years old. I still keep in touch with some of the kids I coached.

You've done a great job -- a successful play at the plate on a relay from the OF is one of the acid tests. Laying down a bunt is another. Gotta disagree on the small ball comment, though. I love small ball -- old school.

NousDefionsDoc
09-24-2006, 10:07
Oh I like small ball too. Just not quite so small. You know how it is in Little guys - a two-run lead going into the bottom of the last is nothing. I'm going to need a Pacemaker is this keeps up.;)

mugwump
09-24-2006, 14:47
...I'm going to need a Pacemaker is this keeps up.;)

Scratch and spit works for the manager, too. :D

x SF med
09-25-2006, 11:07
Brother Medic - It's wonderful when all of the $$ Uncle Sugar put into your training can be used - your H SQI, the 18D -- and the Kid's performance sounds excellent, ecept for the aim - a one hopper? line drive is more effective.

Sounds like the BD was outstanding! I think we need a new thread - "Exploits of The Kid, Baseball SOTB"

NousDefionsDoc
10-15-2006, 15:47
We are now 3-0. Last game we beat the League President's Team (Scout for the Chi Cubs from what I hear) 22-2.

The Kid pitched an inning and 2/3. Had the bases loaded with one out and they didn't score. "Get yer head out of yer ass, bear down and throw strikes!" was the extent of my instructions to him. I went through almost a full can of Copenhagen in those two innings.

I knew we were going to win when the SS hit a two out grand slam in the 2nd. He hadn't hit the ball out of the infield in two games.

We're on break because they went to the Nationals - The Kid couldn't go because of school. Osama Bin Mama has no sense of priorities....

Gypsy
10-15-2006, 16:39
Outstanding news! :lifter

Too bad The Kid wasn't allowed to go, NDD. Perhaps you might need to bribe OBM in a big way for the future.

x SF med
10-15-2006, 19:16
Outstanding! Too bad The Kid was de prioritized by The Boss...

NousDefionsDoc
10-21-2006, 07:47
Off to face the hated Pumas B. My ace pitcher is down for this one, but they can't hit anyway. The Kid will start on the mound today.

The Reaper
10-21-2006, 08:02
Makes sure that he knows to only dust the batter off when he is told to do so.

Good luck, hermano.

TR

Gypsy
10-21-2006, 08:04
Go Kid! :lifter Good luck to the team and the Coach!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-21-2006, 09:38
Good luck!

Roguish Lawyer
10-21-2006, 13:30
Go get em

NousDefionsDoc
10-21-2006, 14:46
12-1 called after the 4th for rain and lightening. We are now 4-0.

A new kid showed up today. Father is Cuban, he was born in Florida. Se habla ingles.
"Hi, can I play?"
"What position?"
"1st Base. Oh, and I pitch a little." With that smile they get when they know they're good.

He's a going on vacation next week, so I'll have him in about two weeks. I can hardly wait.

Gypsy
10-21-2006, 17:37
Wheeeeeeeeeeee! Congrats to you all NDD!

Bill Harsey
10-21-2006, 22:19
Sports thread of the year here. :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
11-04-2006, 23:32
We lost today. First loss. We played a team we should have beat and my kids took the field with the idea that they had already won by showing up. I warned them before the game and they laughed at me.

The other team never hit a ball that shouldn't have been caught, but they hustled. They made all kinds of errors in the field, but they believed they could win. And they had us down 8-0 in the 2nd.

We came storming back. 9-8 in the bottom of the last with 2 outs and two on (one being The Kid). One of our best hitters comes up and hits a deep fly ball to center. I knew we had it as soon as I heard the bat hit it. And a short little dude about 8 years old with the heart of a lion caught it. Even he couldn't believe it.

They played their hearts out and deserved the win. We didn't and we got what we deserved.

I'm actually kind of glad. We have the 2nd half coming up and we got some of the cocky knocked out of us today. Maybe now we'll take the field with a combat mindset every game.

I really love this game. "On any given Saturday."

Gypsy
11-05-2006, 09:07
Sounds like a good lesson or two was learned today...but it is cool that they came back from such a deficit.

vsvo
11-05-2006, 21:28
Sports thread of the year here. :lifter
I will second Mr. Harsey's motion.

Roycroft201
12-22-2006, 00:15
This seems to be an item that should be on NDD's Christmas shopping list.........for the Kid and the Team :

cafepress.com/clubgtmo.55741390
(place www. in front of that to make the link complete)

:D

mugwump
12-22-2006, 08:56
Yeah, during The Insomnia the other night, one of the random thoughts was: "Wonder how The Kid's team is doing?"

NousDefionsDoc
12-22-2006, 09:01
Christmas break, so no games. Second half will start in January. I've got him doing PT.

x SF med
12-22-2006, 09:10
Christmas break, so no games. Second half will start in January. I've got him doing PT.

Damn Brother, THE KID's team loses one game and you put him in the Gig Pit for a month? Or is this just a SOTB Jedi mind trick?

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2007, 14:42
Update:

Last Saturday we beat the Cachorros 8-2

Today the Diamantes 11-3

The Kid and the SS turned the most beautiful double play I have ever seen outside of the majors. Ground ball to short, The Kid made the turn like Joe Morgan. Runner to first was out by 5 steps and he wasn't slow. I could swear I saw a little tornado whirl up in the sand at 2nd when The Kid made the pivot.

He pitched two good innings as well.

Two of my Tiny Guys laid down perfect bunts and beat them out. I've got a new 1B that stretches out for the ball like The Big Cat. I've got a Closer that shuts them down like Mariano Rivera.

The other teams are starting to cheat or try to win with technicalities in the rules. And I think they are going to pass a rule to make me stop hugging my players when they come off the field. LOL

The other coach and I got into it a bit today. He told me he was "teaching me baseball." I reminded him of where baseball was invented and then told him "You want to play that way, we'll play that way." I told the kids, "Leave no doubt." They didn't.

Gypsy
02-10-2007, 17:40
And I think they are going to pass a rule to make me stop hugging my players when they come off the field. LOL

Great news, NDD...sounds like you're building a hell of a team!

lksteve
02-10-2007, 17:43
TI've got a new 1B that stretches out for the ball like Barishnakov. hmm...Willie McCovey, i could handle...Barishnakov...? a friggin' ballet dancer...?

:eek: :eek:

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2007, 18:42
hmm...Willie McCovey, i could handle...Barishnakov...? a friggin' ballet dancer...?

:eek: :eek:
We are secure in our machismo!

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2007, 18:42

Great news, NDD...sounds like you're building a hell of a team!
You mis-spelled "dynasty"!

lksteve
02-10-2007, 18:53
We are secure in our machismo!uh...yeah...but i've seen McCovey play first base whereas i have never seen Barishnakov so much as throw a baseball...

Andres Galaragga was quite agile at first base...and he's from the neighborhood...

but if Barishnakov spins your wheels, then i guess you have a first baseman that can stretch and do "Swan Lake"...

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2007, 18:56
Ok fine Sir for you I will edit the post.:p

lksteve
02-10-2007, 18:57
Ok fine Sir for you I will edit the post.no, no...have it your way...i'm off to padlock my shot record...:p

NousDefionsDoc
02-10-2007, 18:58
HA! 'Fraidy cat!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-10-2007, 20:03
The other coach and I got into it a bit today.

This is terrific, howumsoever no hugging the other coaches, just the kids:D

lksteve
02-10-2007, 20:25
HA! 'Fraidy cat!no...not fear...common sense, something that rarely interupts my thought process...

so, first place with how many games to go?

Gypsy
02-10-2007, 21:10
You mis-spelled "dynasty"!

I knew I should have dug out my dictionary... :cool:

LibraryLady
02-10-2007, 21:16
...The Kid and the SS turned the most beautiful double play I have ever seen outside of the majors. Ground ball to short, The Kid made the turn like Joe Morgan. Runner to first was out by 5 steps and he wasn't slow. I could swear I saw a little tornado whirl up in the sand at 2nd when The Kid made the pivot.

He pitched two good innings as well.

Two of my Tiny Guys laid down perfect bunts and beat them out. I've got a new 1B that stretches out for the ball like The Big Cat. I've got a Closer that shuts them down like Mariano Rivera...

The only thing better than watching the Majors is watching Little League.

Thanks for the updates! :munchin

LL

JMI
02-10-2007, 21:26
It doesn't seem fair to the other teams since the coach is the owner of a magic hat. :D

Roycroft201
02-11-2007, 03:23

I love this thread !

( You do a good job with the play by play for us, NDD. I can actually picture The Kid doing that pivot !)

Tell the kids their fans in los Estados Unidos are really proud of them. (need a smilie with clapping hands here ......................will use this :lifter )

RC201

JMI
02-11-2007, 05:42
He can pitch. He can pivot on the DP. He has a glove. He can hit. He is a 5 tool player.

Next thing we know RL's USC will recruit this kid #1. :rolleyes: :eek:

NDD, do they play tackle football down there?

NousDefionsDoc
02-11-2007, 06:28
no...not fear...common sense, something that rarely interupts my thought process...

so, first place with how many games to go?
I have no idea. It changes from week to week.

NousDefionsDoc
02-11-2007, 06:29
He can pitch. He can pivot on the DP. He has a glove. He can hit. He is a 5 tool player.

Next thing we know RL's USC will recruit this kid #1. :rolleyes: :eek:

NDD, do they play tackle football down there?
Ha! No football. Just Marica-ball. They don't like physical contact.

lksteve
02-11-2007, 10:30
It doesn't seem fair to the other teams since the coach is the owner of a magic hat. it ain't the hat...:munchin

and NDD...USC has a pretty good rep as a bezboll school, too...

NousDefionsDoc
02-17-2007, 08:11
Double header today. First the Damn Yankies, then the team that handed us our only loss - the Copetones (I think that it is some kind of bird, but I'm not real sure. They suck anyway for beating us).

My catcher/3B can't play, he's grounded for grades. That's why me and Phil Garner and Joe Torre make the big bucks...

sfbaby1982
02-17-2007, 08:29
Hey i'm just getting back onto the internet after doing a little training. (my excuse) But this thread brough a smile back on my face. Just thinking about warm weather and little league again makes all this UK bad weather fade away. Good luck and Great thread. NDD

Ricky

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-17-2007, 10:19
That's why me and Phil Garner and Joe Torre make the big bucks...

So how much of a hit do you take on the exchange rate:D

NousDefionsDoc
02-17-2007, 19:45
I'm not doing nearly as well in that department as Phil and Joe Sir.

We won the first one 11-3 and the second 15-5. We hit two or three home runs in the 2nd one.

I have two "assistant coaches" that like to help out. One of them was yelling at The Kid to steal second but he wouldn't go until he got a sign from me. They picked him off while he was arguing with the guy. The Kid was pissed. Of course the whole thing affected his mindset (we still have some work to do in that area).

All in all a good day.

Gypsy
02-17-2007, 19:55
Congrats to the Team and to the Coach!

A little remedial counseling for your assistants perhaps?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-17-2007, 19:56
Good show!

NousDefionsDoc
02-17-2007, 20:42
Congrats to the Team and to the Coach!

A little remedial counseling for your assistants perhaps?
It was on the spot. Situation: 2 outs, little rally started, good but slow kid on first. Jack rabbit on second. Good hitter at the plate. I give Jack Rabbit the steal for 2nd to 3rd. About 3 seconds later, 1st Base coach sees Jack Rabbit running and sends Good But Slow to 2nd - for some freakin' reason. Takes the bat right out of a good hitter's hands with a run down.

As I was walking across the field to the dug out, I asked Good But Slow who sent him, loud enough for 1st base coach to hear. He tells me and I start the TS stare from the mound to 1st Base. LOL

We had a good day today. A lot of scratching and spitting was going on. At one point, Wide-eyed Batter steps out of the box to get the sign. I give it to him and he shakes his head. I give it to him again. He calls time and comes running over - "I don't know what that sign is Coach!"

"That's the sign for smile son, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun!"

LOL

Roycroft201
02-18-2007, 00:50
At one point, Wide-eyed Batter steps out of the box to get the sign. I give it to him and he shakes his head. I give it to him again. He calls time and comes running over - "I don't know what that sign is Coach!"

That is priceless ! :D

Gypsy
02-18-2007, 09:13
It was on the spot.

As I was walking across the field to the dug out, I asked Good But Slow who sent him, loud enough for 1st base coach to hear. He tells me and I start the TS stare from the mound to 1st Base. LOL

Oh no, not the TS stare! Bet he won't do that again. :D

lksteve
02-18-2007, 10:50
"That's the sign for smile son, it's a game, it's supposed to be fun!"amen....:lifter

NousDefionsDoc
02-23-2007, 22:01
We played tonight. They are doing everything they can to make us lose. We have told them 100 times we can’t play on Fridays because half the kids go to school in the evening. So of course they scheduled a game. We won 7-2. The kids are really starting to play together as a team – laying down bunts for each other, backing each other up. It is beautiful to watch.

We have another game at 10:30 tomorrow.

My 3rd baseman and his father are asleep upstairs in my house.

They started calling my reliever Mariano Rivera. It's like slamming the door shut on a bank vault when he comes in to pitch. They can only throw changes and fastballs at this level. He set the other team's best hitter up as well as I ever seen a pitcher do. When he threw the change up for the 3rd strike, the poor boy froze like Bambi in the headlights and just walked away before the ump even called it. He said, "I knew he was going to throw that shit pitch! I knew it!" The men that hang out in my dugout telling me what a dumbass/genius I am and how I don't know shit about baseball or am the 2nd coming of Connie Mack were jumping up and down and screaming. One of them said, "It should be illegal to embarrass a hitter like that." LOL.

Mariano is really getting into it too. When I start looking around for him, I can always find him from the grin. "Is it the 5th inning already Coach?" Little smart ass.

The Kid has learned about attitude and hustle (finally). He has no skin on his left shin from crashing in to third and his comment after looking at it was, "I love this game."
Me: "Rub some dirt on it, scratch your nuts and spit. WAIT! No dirt, I'm a medic."

lksteve
02-23-2007, 22:11
"Rub some dirt on it, scratch your nuts and spit...I'm a medic."this is not the first time that Rx has been brought to my attention...:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
02-23-2007, 22:14
LOL

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-24-2007, 05:38
Me: "Rub some dirt on it, scratch your nuts and spit. WAIT! No dirt, I'm a medic."

LOL! Great going COACH! Medic or not, I prefer your guidance at this level rather than than the pro mantra of spike the other guy's nuts, spit on the ref, and kick dirt on the plate:D

Gypsy
02-24-2007, 08:36
LOL! I love your updates NDD...good luck to the team today!

JMI
02-24-2007, 12:31

That is awesome! I would have loved to have played for you when I was a kid.

NousDefionsDoc
02-24-2007, 12:53
We won 17-2. Super knockout in the 4th. The Kid played catcher, actually did a pretty good job. He also went 2 for 2 with three walks and two doubles.

The B-Team was on the field today. Mariano got the day off from the mound.

NousDefionsDoc
02-24-2007, 12:57
That is awesome! I would have loved to have played for you when I was a kid.
LOL - I doubt it. I don't tell everything that happens on here. For example today during warm ups, every time they made a bad throw or didn't catch the ball - 5 "piernas" - basically a BW squat. Kids drop the ball and make bad throws a lot....

Gypsy
02-24-2007, 19:06
17-2...quite the blowout! Congrats to all.

lksteve
02-24-2007, 20:24
Kids drop the ball and make bad throws a lot....they must be some squattin' fools...i would have been...:lifter

NousDefionsDoc
03-10-2007, 18:40
Well, it's been a while since the last update, so I thought I would mention that

WE ARE THE CHAMPS! WE ARE THE CHAMPS!

The playoffs started last Saturday. We won the season, so for some reason we had to play the number 2 team. We lost 15-7. We didn't play that poorly, they played that well. I was worried.

So we were in the loser bracket, which meant to win it we had to beat the #3 team and the guys that beat us last week in a double header today. And we did. 5 minutes 'til game time and I don't have but 8 players because my A-Coach decided to tell the boys to come later (for some damn reason).

But we played. And we played well. We hit, we caught, we threw and we ran. There were two huge fights between coaches and umpires and people in the stands. I kept the kids out of it - not an easy task.

And when the dust settled, we were the Champs.

The Kid was voted best 2b. My SS was voted best, as was my 1B. Mariano Rivera Jr. got best pitcher. He was brilliant for 5 innings in the championship game. 1 walk, 3 runs. And when he ran out of gas, the 3B looked at me at the Conference On the Mound, bases loaded, 1 out and said, "Coach, I got this." And he did.

They backed each other up, they yelled at each other and they cheered each other on. They made errors, threw the ball away and looked at the 3rd strike what seemed like 100 times. They bunted and stole and were safe and out by a mile.

And it was a great thing to be a part of.

pegasus
03-10-2007, 18:54
Awesome NDD! Congrats to all.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-10-2007, 20:32
Outstanding-were you nice to the other Dads:D

Roycroft201
03-10-2007, 21:04
CONGRATULATIONS, CHAMPS ! and CONGRATULATIONS to THE KID for Best 2nd Base......and your SS and your Pitcher and your 3rd Baseman (Way to step up, 3B !) !!!

Awesome season !

RC201

NousDefionsDoc
03-11-2007, 06:51
Outstanding-were you nice to the other Dads:D
Yes Sir.

Gypsy
03-11-2007, 09:11
NDD, that is OUTSTANDING! Congrats to you, The Kid and the entire team!

Surgicalcric
03-11-2007, 10:18
Great news NDD.

Crip

bandycpa
03-11-2007, 15:26
Good job, NDD. Sounds like the kids had a lot of fun and learned a thing or two during the season.

Bandy

LibraryLady
03-11-2007, 16:17
Way to go!

Congrats to all!

LL

kgoerz
03-11-2007, 17:22
Congrats, but I think you were just trying to upstage Potus :p

NousDefionsDoc
03-11-2007, 17:24
LOL - He should have come yesterday and handed us our trophy.

The pre-juniors (one age level up) from our club won their championship today. It's been a good weekend for us.

lksteve
03-11-2007, 19:32
hey, congratulations...and it was probably fun...

vsvo
03-12-2007, 10:21
Congratulations!

x SF med
03-12-2007, 10:56
NDD-
Does this mean THE KID is allowed in the house again, doesn't have to eat MREs, and can sleep in his bed? :D

Congrats, bro - sounds like a great season for the team.

kachingchingpow
03-13-2007, 07:47
Awesome!!! As a fellow coach/parent who spends at least 4 evenings, and weekends per week at a ballpark, football field, or basketball court I can appreciate the pride you're feeling. My son and daughter are both headlong into baseball and softball season, and I'm starting to feel a little swell of pride myself. At 10, my daughter is showing some real skills, and hasn't sat for a single private lesson (which seems to be too damn common these days). After her fist season, she was immediately approached to play on a travel team. She busted one out to the fence last night on the fly... not bad for a girl :)

Congrats to you, your team and family. They're only kids once. Take lots of pictures.

NousDefionsDoc
08-14-2007, 20:26
Well, we finally started back playing. We are now what is known as "pre-junior". I call it real baseball - leads, everything goes.

We are 2-1. We lost our first game 6-5. We didn't play very well. So we had a good old fashioned Party Self-Critique session. Since then, we have scored 41 runs in two games while allowing a grand total of 6.

This weekend there are some teams coming in from out of town. This will be the first time we've done this as a team instead of a selection team coached by somebody else. I'm really looking forward to it.

The Kid has been in a slump lately. Hitting a lot of ground balls to short and 3rd. So I got this book, Common Hitting Faults and Fixes or some crap like that. I read it. Then I go out to the park and change a couple of things and Voila! There was a former pro player from the Dom Rep there. Played a few weeks with the Orioles and comes in to help when he can. So he starts going on about the difference and what a genius I am.

The Kid looks at him and says, "He's not a genius, he just read the FM!" LOL

Gypsy
08-14-2007, 20:36
The Kid looks at him and says, "He's not a genius, he just read the FM!" LOL

LOL...out of the mouth of babes. :D

Looking forward to reading all about the exploits of The Team, The Kid...and The Coach! Here's to a great season, NDD...errr Coach.

NousDefionsDoc
08-14-2007, 21:03
When these teams come to town, we "adopt" the players. They come stay at the house. Last time I had like 5-6 but a bigger place. I reminded Osama Bin Mama about it tonight and got, "You and that band of heathens are on your own, I'm going to my mother's." Cool, now I can take a whole team!

Roycroft201
08-14-2007, 22:54
This thread, with the exploits of The Kid, The Coach, and your baseball league, is definitely one of the highlights of PS.com.

Please continue to keep us fully informed, Coach. Your powers of observation and your wrting style bring a special flavor to the AARs.:D

Best of luck for a GREAT season !

RC201

shadowwalker
08-14-2007, 23:01
I have really enjoyed reading this complete thread, I am looking forward to the play by play for this year. You are truly blessed. Enjoy it for as long as you can. They grow up fast. Thank you for the thread it is heart warming.

RTK
08-15-2007, 10:11
Well, we finally started back playing. We are now what is known as "pre-junior". I call it real baseball - leads, everything goes.

I've been looking foward to reading about the next season since I read this thread for the first time about 4 months ago. Give em hell!

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2007, 21:55
We played a tournament last weekend. Classics, Pumas, a mixed team from 3 teams - all from Bogota. Two teams from Cali and one from San Andres.

It started Thursday, but our first game was Friday night. We finished at 23:15. And had to play at 09 on Saturday.

The men (not kids) from Cali and San Andres were HUGE!!! The 1st baseman from San Andres had 5 o'clock shadow at 14:00. We started joking that the right fielder was his son - not much of a joke.

Anyway, we finished 3rd. Beat both teams from Bogota and one from Cali. We couldn't hit the other two teams' pitchers. They were big and threw at my kids' heads on the first pitch to intimidate them - it worked. They also spiked them on purpose and crashed into them on the bases. There were several national selection team players on both teams that beat us.

We played with them though. The first game we lost we had one bad inning that cost us four runs. We lost 6-0 but it should have been 2-0. Bonehead plays.

The last game we lost 9-2, but I ran the little guys in off the bench when I saw how it was going to be. The starters were beat after 5 games in 3 days.

The Kid played great defense. He got spiked blocking the bag at 2nd on a steal. Rat bastard slid in high - and outweighed him by at least 50 pounds. So I wait the obligatory count of 5 before I go out. He's standing there looking out into center field:
"Look at me."
"Come around over here."
"Why?"
"Because I'm crying and I don't want those sons of bitches to see me. Did I get the out?"
"Yeah, he was out."
"Good, remember his number."
"Why?
"Because the next time that big son of a bitch gets on base and comes down here I'm hitting him in the face with the ball. Now get off the field and let me play."

If I had had my beret in my pocket I would have given it to him right then and there.

They hit my first baseman so hard it spun him around like a top - horizontally.

They hung in there though. I was so proud of them. We were the only team that beat any of the out of towners or were even in the game. And nobody got killed.

By the second day, I was walking around with surgical tape, bandaids, lidocaine spray and betadine swabs in my pockets though.

Shar
08-22-2007, 22:45
Words aren't adequate - The Kid ROCKS! Coach seems pretty cool too.

NDD, keep these commentaries coming, they make up for the absolutely pathetic sports showings we're having at my house. Oh the shame.

Gypsy
08-23-2007, 07:39
Holy smokes, sounds like those teams were out for blood. Glad to hear our favorite Team hung in there!

jatx
08-23-2007, 07:49
What a great kid! :cool:

kgoerz
08-23-2007, 11:26
Doc, did that new kid with the Gringo Farther play? I remember you said you weren't going to let him play. Because he was always leaving after his first at bat. I remember you got mad when he let that fly ball drop right in front of him. When you asked him why he didn't try to catch it. He said something like
"you just don't understand why I dropped it, Coach"
He was the same one who was caught stealing Z-Packs out of your First Aid bag. Never showed up for practice and his excuse was him being swamped with all the chores his mom made him do.
Glad you didn't let him play last years tournament. Knowing him he would want to take the Trophy home for himself. Tell everyone he scored all the earned runs....etc.
Need to talk to his Dad to straighten that kid out. His Dad probably doesn't have a clue about whats going on at these games. Of course his Dad never shows up for the Games. Probably thinks the reason his kids uniform his never dirty is because he just hits home runs every at bat.

NousDefionsDoc
08-23-2007, 12:13
Doc, did that new kid with the Gringo Farther play? I remember you said you weren't going to let him play. Because he was always leaving after his first at bat. I remember you got mad when he let that fly ball drop right in front of him. When you asked him why he didn't try to catch it. He said something like
"you just don't understand why I dropped it, Coach"
He was the same one who was caught stealing Z-Packs out of your First Aid bag. Never showed up for practice and his excuse was him being swamped with all the chores his mom made him do.
Glad you didn't let him play last years tournament. Knowing him he would want to take the Trophy home for himself. Tell everyone he scored all the earned runs....etc.
Need to talk to his Dad to straighten that kid out. His Dad probably doesn't have a clue about whats going on at these games. Of course his Dad never shows up for the Games. Probably thinks the reason his kids uniform his never dirty is because he just hits home runs every at bat.
LOL. You're confused Brother. You're confusing highly-trained and disciplined Warriors, leaning forward at the Tip of the Spear, always ready, initiative-based hard asses

with the people at work.;)

Roguish Lawyer
08-23-2007, 12:35
The Kid seems to be alright, NDD. Good work. He must get it from his mother. :D

Roycroft201
08-23-2007, 13:58
The Kid played great defense. He got spiked blocking the bag at 2nd on a steal. Rat bastard slid in high - and outweighed him by at least 50 pounds. So I wait the obligatory count of 5 before I go out. He's standing there looking out into center field:
"Look at me."
"Come around over here."
"Why?"
"Because I'm crying and I don't want those sons of bitches to see me. Did I get the out?"
"Yeah, he was out."
"Good, remember his number."
"Why?
"Because the next time that big son of a bitch gets on base and comes down here I'm hitting him in the face with the ball. Now get off the field and let me play."

Amazing Kid.

RTK
08-23-2007, 17:57

Good to see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Teach him how to file his spikes. That always worked for me at second.

NousDefionsDoc
09-07-2007, 21:16
The Mob. The kid is 5th from the right front row. The young man in the sweat shirt has his arm around him. I am second from the left back row.

lksteve
09-07-2007, 21:28
The young man in the sweat shirt has his arm around him. The kid in the sweatshirt is out of uniform...does he play for Classic or Yellowstone...?:p

JMI
09-07-2007, 21:35
The team looks like a family. The Kid looks like he is going to be big - maybe he can play linebacker for Notre Dame :D

Thanks for sharing. I was thinking about this thread today for some reason, and here it pops up tonight. Good stuff.

NousDefionsDoc
09-07-2007, 21:36
The kid in the sweatshirt is out of uniform...does he play for Classic or Yellowstone...?:p

He is the catcher for the Big Guy Team. He is a great ballplayer. The Kid on the front row far left is his brother and my SS and the guy in the red jacket next to him is their father and founder of the team. The lady back row right is their mother and VP of the league.

lksteve
09-07-2007, 21:38
The lady back row right is their mother and VP of the league.Every league needs some adult supervision...:D

NousDefionsDoc
09-07-2007, 21:41
Every league needs some adult supervision...:D

between the three teams, we have about 40 kids - they all call her mom.

Gypsy
09-07-2007, 21:44
Great picture of the team, NDD!

NousDefionsDoc
09-07-2007, 21:44
Mariano Rivera Jr. is back row 4th from the right.

NousDefionsDoc
09-07-2007, 21:47
I'm going to try to get some action shots tomorrow. I usually get so excited I forget about the camera...

Roguish Lawyer
09-08-2007, 08:52
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fine team.

NousDefionsDoc
09-08-2007, 21:05
I didn't get the action shots, I forgot about the camera again. We won 12-2.

PSM
09-08-2007, 21:15

Were you playing Michigan? Oops, sorry! Wrong sport. :D

Pat

Gypsy
09-08-2007, 21:35

Blame it on all the excitement. :D Congrats to the team! :lifter

JMI
09-08-2007, 21:47
No pics? Tell us what happened. Your stories are always worth a read. :cool:

NousDefionsDoc
02-16-2009, 20:22
The sage continues. The Kid, having surpassed the Old Medic's ability to coach him, has transferred his prowess to The Home of Baseball, the USA. He is now a Dixie Boy's League "A". He has a hitting coach and is working hard. He was picked in the top five at a 41 man tryout.

Apparently the freakin' game is universal.

Gypsy
02-16-2009, 22:07
Apparently the freakin' game is universal.

Who knew?

Good on The Kid, please keep us posted...hopefully more than once every 1.5 years. :D

Rose
02-17-2009, 12:41

NousDefionsDoc
01-18-2010, 22:00
And now he made his school team today. Two weeks of tryouts and conditioning and he got the word today. Going up against football plays that have had access to the weight room since school started. And we have a sandbag, a pull up bar and two sets of dumbells.

He finished in the top 5 in all the runs and smoked the rest of it. They started with 51 and ended with 22.

He is now a Wildcat.

Stingray
01-19-2010, 01:08
Congrats to the new Wildcat and Congrats Dad. Be proud of him.
Nothing wrong with sandbags, pull up bars and a few dumbells. I remember the excitement of those days (a little less as each year passes). Some of my best childhood memories involve sports and my teammates.
Good on him for putting in the work making the team.

Gypsy
01-23-2010, 08:19
Going up against football plays that have had access to the weight room since school started. And we have a sandbag, a pull up bar and two sets of dumbells.

Sometimes "simple" is better. ;)

Congrats to The Kid!