PDA

View Full Version : IE7.0 Beta

SF18C
09-19-2006, 19:33
IE 7.0 Beta (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx)

I have been using/testing this fo a few days now and it seems user friendly...time will tell.

Kyobanim
09-19-2006, 19:51
It runs beter in Vista. Only thing I don't like is the forced security. I didn't like backing out of most of the security features to get it to work like I wanted.

SF18C
09-19-2006, 19:58
I haven't played with Vista yet...some how in my older years the constant change of Operating Systems is less fun that it use to be...but I thought since IE7 was free I'd give it a try...but then I try all the free browsers. So do you have any thought or personal reviews on Vista?

It is odd that you say you don't like the default securtiy setting as this has been a big hit on M$ that their software was too wide open out of the box. But with all software there is a teak period where you find the right mix to suit your level of comfort and use.

Kyobanim
09-20-2006, 06:41
IE 7, as it comes with Vista, is completely locked down out of the box. The only way to use it is to add URLs to the safe list. By the time I got it configured to work as I use it today, it resembeled IE 6 from a security standpoint. Not a bad idea but a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned

From an IT perspective on build 5308:

I like the security in Vista. Sometimes it can be cumbursome but I think that is just the learning curve. Once it hits retail there should be a lot of good 'tweat' sites out there.

I'm running it at work on a Dell Optiplex 620 with a 3.4 duo core, 2 gb ram, 2 meg cache, 256 mb ATI X600 PCIe video and the interface rocks. Unfortunately, this isn't the standard desktop deployed at our school so most of the visual features that people will be looking forward to will not be available to them. Knowing how this place works politically, we will have a big push in new purchases/deployments that are unnecessary. The money will have been better spent on the back end for the students benefit.

Interoperability between users is nice. But you have to get them to use it to make it worth while.

Overall, I think it will be a nice improvement over XP/2000 but I won't put it on my personal machine for 6 to 12 months after release. I will recommend going ahead with deployment at the college simply because I will be drawn and quartered if I don't.

I'm interested in seeing the finanl release. I know MS is getting lots of feedback on this. I hope they can come up with something that has the features of Vista and the usability of XP.

Time will tell.