PDA

View Full Version : Q for the Guard SF Soldiers

Irishsquid
09-18-2006, 18:33
Ok...Let me start by saying that I'm NOT asking for any sort of specific information. I'm curious about the deployment schedule for Guard SF Soldiers. Are you gone a couple months out of the year, on average, or 6-9 months? I wouldn't really have any idea. I grew up in a Guard SF family, but that was during peacetime, and my dad said he really has no idea what the operational tempo would be during a time of war. This question is not really for MY benefit...my mind was made up about 17 years ago...I'm going to be an SF Soldier, or die trying. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is not as enthusiastic. She said she can handle the dangerous job, and she can handle the time away from home for SFAS and SFQC. But we have talked about marriage, and she said she doesn't think she can handle 4-6 years (Not sure of the minimum enlistment time for Guard SF) of me being gone 6 months out of the year. Essentially, the answer will have no bearing on my decision to pursue a career in Guard SF, but I feel she deserves to know anything I can tell her about what to expect before she makes any solid commitment to me.

Books
09-19-2006, 03:37
Irishsquid,

I've met fellows who've been gone for three years straight and others who do their two weeks a year and call it good. It varies. Figure somewhere in between that and you're probably good.

Books

Pete
09-19-2006, 04:38
Get a new girlfriend.

Go to the Q Course, grab as many deployments as you can and when You want to slow down a bit will be the time to hook up with somebody.

If she ain't 100% behind you she will turn into a boat anchor real quick. A guy gitting those "Angry Letters/E-mails" from a wife pissed at him being off with the "guys" can be a drag on the whole team and everything you're doing.

Let her have a happy life with a Mr Homebody.

The Reaper
09-19-2006, 07:13
Get a new girlfriend.

Go to the Q Course, grab as many deployments as you can and when You want to slow down a bit will be the time to hook up with somebody.

If she ain't 100% behind you she will turn into a boat anchor real quick. A guy gitting those "Angry Letters/E-mails" from a wife pissed at him being off with the "guys" can be a drag on the whole team and everything you're doing.

Let her have a happy life with a Mr Homebody.

Concur 100%.

She isn't happy about it as a GF, she really isn't going to like it as a spouse, and it will be a lot more painful to DX her then.

Besides, you are a long way from being an SF soldier who has to worry about it yet. Focus on the 25 meter target.

TR

Irishsquid
09-19-2006, 09:16
Pete and TR: Roger that. Thanks for your input. You'd think I would have figured this one out after my first marriage fell apart...and right now I'm just Fleet Navy. Hehe. Anyway...thanks, gentlemen.