PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP

82ndtrooper
09-16-2006, 14:52
Yesterday I pondered the purchase of new handgun while cashing a couple of checks at the bank, one being my VA disability check. I had in mind another Sig, possibly the P220R SAO, or another H&Kc in two tone. I ogled over the Springfield XD in .40 S&W but having two .40 cals in the collection it didn't really make sense to me to add another just to have the XD and the dealer seemed to be marking up thier prices higher than the suggested retail price. I'm not one to wait till I can find a firearm at lower price somewhere else due to the lack of gun dealers here in the Northern Kentucky area.

Long story short was that I picked up the Taurus PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP. For just a tad over $500 it's one heck of a nice package ! 2 12 round mags +1 in the chamber, rubberized over molded grip with an 11 degree grip angle (1911) stainless slide, visible and tactile chamber indicator, SA/DA operation for the off chance of a dud primer, Heinie "Straight Eight" rear sight and Heinie front fixed sight, frame mounted safety lever On or off action in SA mode or DA, safety lock on the slide with a simple key lock mechanism, and Taurus's "UNLIMITED" life time warranty. This gun actually feels like a semi custom production when you handle it !!

200 rounds this morning of 230 grain Mag-Tach FMJ with no hicups ! The recoil feels more like the gun is pushing you, without the usual muzzle flip of a traditional 1911, or Sig P220 which proved to allow me to place 20 groups in a 2" pattern at 10 and 15 yards. I cant say this about my other higher priced firearms, and certainly not my 1911's, at least in my untrained hands.

For the price, I believe Taurus may have one of the best values out there with this package. The PT 24/7 PRO .45 ACP.:lifter

Oh yeah, and a built in 1913 Picatinny rail for that Surefire X200 torch !!

dr. mabuse
09-16-2006, 18:28

82ndtrooper
09-16-2006, 20:13
82ndtrooper,

I'll have to try that one too.

I shot a Taurus PT1911 a few days ago and was surprised at the fit and finish, accuracy and overall feel of the gun, especially since the owner got it for a little under $500 plus tax. Fairly well customized and it had Heine straight 8 sights. Maybe a tiny bit of trigger work....

If one has a tight budget and needed a good single action 1911 clone, check this one out.

I was hoping that someone would chime regarding the 1911 series from Taurus. At Taurus prices I believe they may have been the most overlooked manufacturer by those of us that insist on NAME BRAND Quality. I do like the SA XD series of handgun for about the same price range, however the Taurus PT 24/7 PRO series comes with some added features that I personally would desire on my .45 ACP firearms. The added frame mounted safety allows the shooter to carry this firearm in the "COCKED AND LOCKED" positon once the round is chambered, and with automatic revert to DA should the primer be a dud, you only have to pull have the trigger for your second attempt to discharge the round, if not, then the tap, rack whatever, is your course of action. With the "LIFETIME" unlimited warranty, you can send it back if it's a lemon, as many times as your willing to pay for shipping. So far with 200 rounds (not a real test) it's likely my new home defense pistol on the nightstand. The Surfire X200 torch fits perfectly on the 1913 Picatinny rail and makes for nice looking firearm with all the features one could want in a low priced firearm.

I may look into the PT1911 merely due to it's price. It would likely be my sons first 1911 when he is of age to carry concealed, or a nice gift for his 18th Birthday, assuming he has my confidence in the safety of firearms.

Simple Simon
09-18-2006, 12:16
I have a PT 24/7 in .40. Went in to buy a HK or SIG in .40 and came out with the Tarus, for a couple hundred dollars less. I love it, put about 250rds through it with no malfunctions or issues. It is also user friendly and my wife can handle it's recoil. It has become my home defense weapon, locked securely in a small gun vault in our nightstand.

It is a great gun with a great warranty, can't beat the price, and come with many great bonuses only found on high end pistols.

19D-CavScout
11-13-2008, 01:37
I am looking into picking up a Taurus 24/7 in .45 and was looking for user feedback on it, so now that you have had it for a while, what do you think of it?
My experience with semi-autos is based more on 1911 and M92, but have also had a Glock and was looking for a pistol that wouldn't make me relearn how to aim, so the grip angle was a big concern of mine, which the 24/7 has. My second big concern was load, as I prefer the .45 over just about anything else I have handled. I have owned .40 S&W caliber pistols before, and think very highly of it, but when it comes to straight one shot stop ability, I just can't get away from trusting the .45 more then anything else.

I am also picking up a Taurus Tracker Model 44, with the 4" barrel, and plan on using it as a CCW, so if anyone else has experience with this, I would love to hear about it. I had a Rossi 720 hammerless for a long time (wish I had never sold it), and really like the .44 Special, so I plan on running specials instead of magnums through it, but have just begun looking into this model, so anything would be great.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just figured I would ask my questions here instead of starting another on the same subject.

82ndtrooper
11-13-2008, 04:35
I am looking into picking up a Taurus 24/7 in .45 and was looking for user feedback on it, so now that you have had it for a while, what do you think of it?
My experience with semi-autos is based more on 1911 and M92, but have also had a Glock and was looking for a pistol that wouldn't make me relearn how to aim, so the grip angle was a big concern of mine, which the 24/7 has. My second big concern was load, as I prefer the .45 over just about anything else I have handled. I have owned .40 S&W caliber pistols before, and think very highly of it, but when it comes to straight one shot stop ability, I just can't get away from trusting the .45 more then anything else.

I am also picking up a Taurus Tracker Model 44, with the 4" barrel, and plan on using it as a CCW, so if anyone else has experience with this, I would love to hear about it. I had a Rossi 720 hammerless for a long time (wish I had never sold it), and really like the .44 Special, so I plan on running specials instead of magnums through it, but have just begun looking into this model, so anything would be great.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just figured I would ask my questions here instead of starting another on the same subject.

Since I last posted regarding this topic I have to say that the Taurus 24/7 Pro II .45 ACP is a reliable pistol but the trigger sucks to no end.

There is way to much pre-travel in both the single and double action to contend with, at least in my humble opinion.

If I had it to do over, I'd get an XD or just spend the money on an LMT lower reciever.

I wouldn't purchase another one, but it has been reliable.

My .02

19D-CavScout
11-17-2008, 00:25
Did some more research and found that a lot of people have been having problems with reliability in the .45 models, so decided to switch and go with a Glock 22 or 23 in .40 S&W. I have owned a Glock 22 before and had no problems with it, just wish it had the same grip angle as my 1911. so I wouldn't have to retrain myself to shoot it.
Thanks for the info!

Peregrino
11-17-2008, 08:06
Did some more research and found that a lot of people have been having problems with reliability in the .45 models, so decided to switch and go with a Glock 22 or 23 in .40 S&W. I have owned a Glock 22 before and had no problems with it, just wish it had the same grip angle as my 1911. so I wouldn't have to retrain myself to shoot it.
Thanks for the info!

That's what the Springfield XD(m) is for! :p

19D-CavScout
11-19-2008, 18:37
Problem is, the money just isn't there, and with a kid on the way, I am scrapping things together to get the Glock (selling stuff to afford it). I also have training on the Glock in the past, including working on them, so I figure a little retraining is a compromise I can live with, since I can do to the Glock what I want and personalize it into something I would be happy to own.
If you see where I am coming from?