Team Sergeant
09-15-2006, 07:38
Good read!

Washington Post
September 15, 2006

Pg. 1

In A Volatile Region Of Iraq, U.S. Military Takes Two Paths
By Ann Scott Tyson, Washington Post Staff Writer

AL-FURAT, Iraq -- With a biker's bandanna tied under his helmet, the Special Forces team sergeant gunned a Humvee down a desert road in Iraq's volatile Anbar province. Skirting the restive town of Hit, the team of a dozen soldiers crossed the Euphrates River into an oasis of relative calm: the rural heartland of the powerful Albu Nimr tribe.

Green Berets skilled in working closely with indigenous forces have enlisted one of the largest and most influential tribes in Iraq to launch a regional police force -- a rarity in this Sunni insurgent stronghold. Working deals and favors over endless cups of spiced tea, they built up their wasta -- or pull -- with the ancient tribe, which boasts more than 300,000 members. They then began empowering the tribe to safeguard its territory and help interdict desert routes for insurgents and weapons. The goal, they say, is to spread security outward to envelop urban trouble spots such as Hit.

But the initial progress has been tempered by friction between the team of elite troops and the U.S. Army's battalion that oversees the region. At one point this year, the battalion's commander, uncomfortable with his lack of control over a team he saw as dangerously undisciplined, sought to expel it from his turf, officers on both sides acknowledged.

The conflict in the Anbar camp, while extreme, is not an isolated phenomenon in Iraq, U.S. officers say. It highlights two clashing approaches to the war: the heavy focus of many regular U.S. military units on sweeping combat operations; and the more fine-grained, patient work Special Forces teams put into building rapport with local leaders, security forces and the people -- work that experts consider vital in a counterinsurgency.

"This war was fought with a conventional mind-set. The conventional units are bogged down in cities doing the same old thing," said the Special Forces team's 44-year-old sergeant, who like all the Green Berets interviewed was not allowed to be quoted by name for security reasons. "It's not about bulldozing Hit, driving through with a tank, with all the kids running away. . . . These insurgencies are defeated by personal relationships."

The real battles, he said, are unfolding "in a sheik's house, squatting in the desert eating with my right hand and smoking Turkish cigarettes and trying to influence tribes to rise up against an insurgency."

Cutting Deals
Under the glittering chandeliers of his newly remodeled salon, Sheik Jubair adjusted his fine, white cotton dishdasha , or traditional robe, and lit a cigarette.

As if on cue, the American team sergeant leaned over and handed him an ashtray.
The 63-year-old sheik is the de facto ruler of the Albu Nimr, a wealthy tribe whose influence stretches from Anbar's violent capital of Ramadi up the Euphrates to Haditha. Jubair knows the U.S. military needs his tribe as much as it needs the military. Shunned in the 1990s for plotting against Saddam Hussein, the tribe backed the U.S.-led overthrow of Hussein in 2003. But Jubair now faces threats from Anbar's entrenched Sunni Arab insurgency, which he said put a $5 million bounty on his head.

Week after week, the team has spent long hours cultivating Jubair -- funding his projects, buying his son a PlayStation, even holding his hand during treatment at a U.S. military hospital for an infected toe. In return, Jubair has supplied hundreds of police and army recruits, as well as intelligence targeting insurgents in the region.

During a recent visit at his home in al-Furat, Jubair pressed the team sergeant for a hospital, a gas station, a school, payment for a damaged car and a mosque. "We don't do mosques," the sergeant replied.

One minute the tough and temperamental Jubair was unbuttoning his shirt to show off a wound acquired in the Iran-Iraq war. The next, he was pouting because the American team dared visit his nephew and rival, Sheik Hatem, a.k.a. the "boy king," who officially heads the tribe and lives in the same compound.

"He's young and doesn't know anything," Jubair scolded the team sergeant. "If you give him projects, I will close the city council and come here!"

For the Americans, such engagement is as vital as it can be maddening. "Sometimes I feel like I'm dealing with teenagers," the sergeant said. "They even do the 'mom' and 'dad' thing with me" and the team captain.

It's also work that involves keen judgment and knowing when to cut deals. After the team arrived in January, it captured a former police colonel accused of stealing cars and $60,000 in pay and killing another police officer. But when the colonel was detained and sent to Abu Ghraib prison, sheiks Jubair and Hatem pleaded for his release. "They said you will increase your wasta and all that," the team sergeant said, "so we secured his release, a controlled release."

The compromise helped win the tribe's backing for a local police force. But it also heightened frictions with the U.S. Army battalion, whose convoy transporting the detainee had hit a roadside bomb.

A Clash of Cultures
Every night like clockwork at the U.S. military camp -- known as a forward operating base, or FOB -- outside Hit, a loudspeaker atop the Special Forces team house blasts an alert that the Army battalion is about to shoot off flares.

"Attention on the FOB! Attention on the FOB!" a male voice boomed one recent night. "There will be an illumination mission in 10 minutes. Go Cowboys!"

"I've tried to figure out a way to cut that wire," the team sergeant muttered as he stood on the roof, bemoaning the battalion's predictable tactics.

The clash of military cultures was apparent from the start in late January, when the Special Forces team captain, scruffy after days in the desert, arrived at the Hit camp and introduced his team's mission to Lt. Col. Thomas Graves, commander of the 1st Battalion, 36th Infantry Regiment. Graves, a close-shaven West Point graduate from Texas, said nothing and walked away, according to team members.

"We grow our hair a little longer," the team sergeant said. "We wear mustaches, and the conventional Army doesn't want to deal with you because they look at you as undisciplined. We're the most disciplined force in the Army!"

To Graves, the problem boiled down to communication and his battalion's limited, or "tactical," control over the Special Forces. "It's not that they have long hair. I don't care if they're frickin' from Mars," said Graves in the camp's chow hall. "They have a responsibility to tell us what they were doing, but they refuse to do it."

Graves said the Green Berets and their Iraqi army scout platoon once shot at his tanks; he said he never investigated the incident but declined to explain why. Concern over his troops' safety led him to initiate steps to remove the team, he said, adding, "I don't care if you're frickin' naked, just don't shoot at my tanks!"

Training Iraqi Forces
At a desert firing range outside Hit, a squad of Iraqi army scouts attacked a line of silhouetted targets, emptying their AK-47 assault rifles and then switching effortlessly to pistols. Next, they practiced sweeping a room, pivoting through the doorway and shouting bursts of Arabic.

Training foreign military forces is a core Special Forces mission -- and the top priority of the U.S. command in Iraq. The Iraqi scout platoon, recruited from the Albu Nimr tribe and coached by the team in Hit, displayed an agility and confidence unusual among Iraqi soldiers. And the Americans fostered loyalty in the platoon.

"We've been to their homes, we've treated their children. They are our partners," said the team captain, an energetic officer from Los Angeles.

"We walk with them as brothers," said Mokles Ali Muklif, the Iraqi platoon leader.
But last spring, when the scouts spotted a roadside bomb during a solo mission and warned U.S. forces about it, they were detained by Graves's battalion, blindfolded and forced to sit in bitter cold for seven hours before the team could secure their release. "I was livid," the team sergeant said.

Later, when the Special Forces team offered to give advanced training to the entire Iraqi army battalion, Graves rejected the idea. Morale continued to drop in the Iraqi battalion, its manpower down to 60 percent after hundreds of soldiers quit over lack of pay, poor food and duty far from home. "We could have had the battalion conducting unilateral ops, and 1-36 could be sitting back at the firm base," the team captain said.

Instead, the team threw all its energy into mobilizing the Albu Nimr tribe behind a police force -- first in its territory of al-Furat, then in the broader region including the contested town of Hit.

A Recruiting Drive
Col. Falah Salah Shimra, 41, a portly tribesman with an imposing demeanor, examined the charred shell of a police station destroyed by a bomb planted on the roof.

Chief of al-Furat's growing tribal police contingent of several hundred men, Shimra minimized the attack on his fledgling force. "Basically, within our area we have no threat at all," he said. "The threat is from outside."

Nearby, tribal police manned a checkpoint, wearing blue shirts as uniforms. None had body armor. Most used their own rifles and ammunition and patrolled in their own vehicles. Many had gone for months without wages until the Special Forces team helped cut through red tape and graft to secure their full pay in July.

Once they get more equipment, Shimra said, he plans "to extend our security all around Hit and get rid of the insurgents."

Team Sergeant
09-15-2006, 07:39
Indeed in July, backing from tribal leaders led to Hit's first successful police recruiting drive.
"We knew there would be no people in Hit, so to facilitate success we put out word in al-Furat," the team sergeant said.

But a dispute emerged when Graves decided to "lock down" Hit with tanks and hold the recruiting drive at a frequently mortared U.S. combat outpost inside the town rather than in a safer tribal area across the Euphrates. "It's the most dialed-in place!" said the team sergeant, whose men narrowly missed being struck by a mortar shell during the drive.

In the end, only three Hit residents volunteered. But about 150 tribesmen crossed the river to sign up. Graves said he considered the police recruitment to be one of the U.S. military's biggest achievements in his area, and he acknowledged the Special Forces team's help in enlisting the tribesmen. "They deserve credit for that," he said of the team, whose tour ended last month.

The Special Forces soldiers realize there are drawbacks to relying on the tribe, which is focused on protecting its own territory and interests and which imposes tribal law that can undercut civil authority. Every decision, from firing a policeman to averting revenge killings, requires the sanction of tribal leaders such as Jubair. But the reality in Anbar, the team captain said, is either to "engage the tribes . . . or leave them to the will of the insurgency."

rubberneck
09-15-2006, 09:03
Interesting atricle.

If the Army sends all infantry officers to Ranger school why can't they put together a school that exposes them to what and why you guys do what you do? It seems to me that I have read this type of article over and over through the years and nothing seems to change. From the outside it appears if most of the officers in the Army are unaware of your mission and how you accomplish it.
Which in my uninformed opinion is a real shame. Seeing all the good will earned by an ODA get wasted by one thoughtless action by another unit is frustrating. I can't imagine how annoying it is for the guys that have to try and repair burned bridges.

The public has been told over and over again how modern wars are increasingly being waged by the Special Operations community. If that is the case why isn't more of an effort being made to integrating mother Army into what you guys do. Am I missing the mark here? I apologize if I am mistaken.

Team Sergeant
09-15-2006, 09:13
Interesting atricle.

From the outside it appears if most of the officers in the Army are unaware of your mission and how you accomplish it.
Which in my uninformed opinion is a real shame.

It's part of our history. This sort of conventional unconventional clash has occured in every conflict we've been involved in. Vietnam, Grenada, Haiti, Panama, Desert Storm and now.

TS

rubberneck
09-15-2006, 09:19
It's part of our history. This sort of conventional unconventional clash has occured in every conflict we've been involved in. Vietnam, Grenada, Haiti, Panama, Desert Storm and now.

TS

Why can't the Army take some steps to ensure that it doesn't happen any longer?

I think it is safe to say that if we were to screw up in Iraq and Afghanistan the consequnces will dwarf the consequences of screwing up in Vietnam, Grenada, Haiti, Panama and DS. From where I sit, and what we have been told by the President, there is too much riding on the outcome for people like the LTC to worry about turf and getting his toes stepped on.

The Reaper
09-15-2006, 09:20
Interesting atricle.

If the Army sends all infantry officers to Ranger school why can't they put together a school that exposes them to what and why you guys do what you do? It seems to me that I have read this type of article over and over through the years and nothing seems to change. From the outside it appears if most of the officers in the Army are unaware of your mission and how you accomplish it.

Because we don't try to train every officer in the Army, we select the ones we think we can train. Then these SF officers are not promoted at a rate comparable to their Ranger unit contemporaries.

Ranger School is a great small unit leadership school and is well entrenched with Army leadership.

A counter-insurgency school is being run in theater right now, but sitting through a class is not the same as buying into the program and leading that life. Officers are normally not promoted based upon their ability to work with their HN counterparts. As soon as this war has moved on, these lessons will be quickly forgotten. Again.

TR

mugwump
09-15-2006, 10:59
The public has been told over and over again how modern wars are increasingly being waged by the Special Operations community. If that is the case why isn't more of an effort being made to integrating mother Army into what you guys do. Am I missing the mark here? I apologize if I am mistaken.

I'm going to try to be careful here and not step in it.

I think there's hope. I knew a LTC who admires the hell out of SF and used them to his full advantage, i.e. he let the SF use him to their full advantage. He gave them full credit with his chain whenever he could and they reciprocated with theirs. The teams spent time training his troops in cultural issues, language, etc. whenever they could.

LTC and his OSM (another great guy) drank their weight in chai, gave away herds of sheep and goats, dug wells, built schools, and generally made personal relationships a top priority. He fought with his command and won: "I'm a hero if I call in a $30,000 salvo of 155, and a wussy if I spend $10,000 to build a school, even if building the school will do much more to accomplish my mission." By the end of their tour they were routinely getting tips from the community about attacks planned on the clinics and schools they built, IEDs, etc.

This guy had my town integrated into his command. If he needed something -- school supplies, OTC meds, clothing for the Kuchi -- all he had to do was ask. Grade schools held drives, moms and teachers packed boxes...well, it was pretty cool.

And when it came time to kick ass, they kicked it with authority.

He's now a COL G3 and will be a brigade commander next summer, so someone recognized he was doing something right. :) See, there's hope.

incommin
09-15-2006, 11:16
That's one officer. The comment that SF has been clashing with the regular army for years is true. Different mind sets and different ways of using force.

A class or two doesn't overcome years of training and mental thinking.

Jim

NousDefionsDoc
09-15-2006, 12:20
I might have missed it - anyone know what Group this Team is from? Feel free to PM.

Looks like Deja Vu all over again to me.

mugwump
09-15-2006, 12:27
That's one officer. The comment that SF has been clashing with the regular army for years is true. Different mind sets and different ways of using force.

I know you are right -- his replacement was completely different, more as described in the article. I guess I am just hoping that "our" COL's jr. officers will have seen his methods and the success he attained and that it will have an impact.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-15-2006, 13:16
The public has been told over and over again how modern wars are increasingly being waged by the Special Operations community. If that is the case why isn't more of an effort being made to integrating mother Army into what you guys do.

This would take a book to answer but I will try and be concise. First of all there has been and always will be a turf battle to protect that which is your bread and butter. You can see it now with everyone yelling about the death of armor as a practical system for use in urban combat-which of course is not correct but it is being waged at the highest levels in the pentagon. There is more awareness today of what SOF does than ever before, however there are also those within SOF that do not understand the total breadth of SOF missions nor how to integrate with the non-SOF Army to acheive the synergistic effects that both bring to the battle. There are also those that see their role in life becoming something other than what they have been trained to do over their entire career. To see yourself and your chosen branch becoming less relevant in the operations of the future makes you do stupid things to protect your relevancy. Then there is just pure jealousy-that has always been the case when SF can operate without having to ask for permission using just broad mission guidance and accomplish the task at hand with less resources folks get upset. Then there is the reality of what it takes just to be an infantry, armor, engineer, artillery, medical service, quartermaster, signal, aviation, ordnance, transportation, medical corps, military police, military intelligence, etc officer. Your focus for your formative years are binocular in scope and you are bred to become a platoon leader and company commander of a pure force of other like branch folks with the requirements and standards of that branch. It becomes incestuous if you expect to succeed. A Special Forces Team is a combined arms team from the outset and has the capability of a combined arms team in that it has built into it. It has its own operations, intelligence, engineer, reconnaissance, infantry, artillery, medical, civil affairs, psyop, and communications skills capable of organizing and running a combined arms battalion sized organization. No conventional Lieutenant Colonel wants to hear that some no-necked Captain with his merry band of guerrilla leaders has the capability of accomplishing what has taken him 15 or so years of training to be able to do the same thing. There is also an officer-non-commissioned officer mindset in the regular army that makes them incapable of understanding that SF NCOs are trained and capable of leading and/or advising companies, battalions and brigades and that given a chance to do so they will out perform those officer "commanders" in the field because they will lead from the front, know their men, and are working under a stituation of mutual respect and understanding that just never seems to get established in like conventional organizations. While you can conduct a relief in place with any old infantry unit replacing another of like size, SF teams are not interchangeable in many situations because of the personal interactions required between them and the indig that takes time and effort to establish. Now I have only marred the surface here and each mission area that SF performs has different tipping points that seperates them and defies understanding by the conventional force folk and I won't even talk about the personality differences. On a personal note I have a son who is a Medical Service Corps major and while he is going great guns in his branch the only thing we really have in common as far as the military is concerned is that we both jump out of aircraft, and we are in the same family and you expect mother army to understand what SF does.

incommin
09-15-2006, 14:18
Bravo, COL Jack!

Jim

uboat509
09-15-2006, 15:43
Another problem that we run into is that many of the vital tasks that we do such as rapport building and FID just aren't sexy. A conventional Army officer, say a tanker for instance, dreams of leading his tanks into glorious battle against enemy tanks. Drinking Chai and giving away sheep just wasn't in the recruiting poster.

SFC W

x SF med
09-15-2006, 17:56
The unsexy, unglorious tasks that are the body of SF, are what set us apart from the conventional Army. These are the tasks that last the longest and make the biggest impression on the HN forces, and people. To train, advise, organize and assist.... isn't that the main focus of the mission statement?

uboat509
09-15-2006, 19:40
The unsexy, unglorious tasks that are the body of SF, are what set us apart from the conventional Army. These are the tasks that last the longest and make the biggest impression on the HN forces, and people. To train, advise, organize and assist.... isn't that the main focus of the mission statement?

Exactly my point.

SFC W

MRF54
09-15-2006, 19:46

Makes sense to me - less cost, less exposure, less risk, and establishes relationships (sic: tribal entities). And I agree 100%, there isn't anything reallllly sexy about a true counter-insurgency campaign.

I applaud those teams over there embracing their SF legacy and I hope that they will motivate generations of American's and Iraqi's to do what it takes regardless. SF is in a unique position of modern Western history!

Real, long-term, strategic planning and operations create dissonance to an officer trying to get through their "combat command." How many new books have been written by conventional officers telling everyone how to fight and win an unconventional campaign - ignoring the fact that the US Army has a whole career field & TO/E dedicated specifically for this task?

x SF med
09-15-2006, 19:47
Uboat -
just rephrasing so the sluggos could understand it's not all death and glory, it's behind the scenes and quiet for a great part of the mission.

NousDefionsDoc
09-15-2006, 19:56
Excellent thread, outstanding posts.

To what Colonel Sir said, I will add this quote:
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT
(Paris Sorbonne,1910)

I think there are quite a few that know deep down in the dark recesses of their psyche that they don't have what it takes or have the balls to find out and it pisses them off and probably scares them more than a little to have to confront their weakness in the form of those that have on a daily basis.

Most people fear what they don't understand. And they hate what they fear.

That no-neck Captain probably scares the shit out of that LTC and the latter hates him for it.

I think many of them are also lonely (in a non-Navy way) and the rapport on a Team gives them cause for envy. That easy, relaxed respect that the NCOs have for a good Team Leader.

Monsoon65
09-21-2006, 17:35
Great article, but they always leave me scratching my head about how SF and the conventional Army can't seem to work together. If I were a commander with an SF team in my neighborhood, I'd do whatever I could to try to work together.

Same things happen in the AF. I'm with AFSOC, and a Guard unit to boot, and we always get some sort of static from Big Blue whenever we deploy. I have to rein in the kids when they get their hackles up when someone gives them trouble about one thing or another. As NDD said, I think they don't like it when they see how easily we work within the unit, officer and enlisted, operations and maintenance.

jbq004
09-24-2006, 09:53
Very interesting article. I am just a regular infanryman but I too feel the effects of these type of officers.

I am in Afghanistan right now serving conventionally in a Guard Infantry Unit. I do the less glamorous job and provide security for a Provincial Reconstruction Team. My PRT does MEDCAPS, Schools, Roads, Animal Stuff, & Training for local forces. If your not already familiar we have a Civil Affairs Team, Doctors, Engineers, ETC. I obviously can not speak for the couple of SF soldiers at this FOB, however, I have heard some talk about how ineffective our current LTC is. One of my ranger officers said to me in disgust that he was approached by one of the manuever officers saying how he'll do the killing stuff but not the PRT bull crap. My outfit is constantly looked down upon by the Infantry manuever element on this FOB, and the officers that lead them. They give the impression that the rebuilding and rapport part is a complete waste of time. They do not realize once we leave there needs to be a new system in place. I have been in country for about 1/2 a year and we have just began to combine the manuever element's combat operations connectically with our own. I know this sways a bit from the whole convential / non-convential discussion, however I just wanted to bring to light my small take on the current mentality of some Big Army Officers.