PDA

View Full Version : To all our LEOs - A personal thank you

Roycroft201
09-09-2006, 23:48
Many of you may be aware that on Friday evening about 8PM EDT a fugitive named Ralph "Bucky" Phillips was finally captured, ending one of the largest manhunts in New York State history. He had been placed on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted List on Thursday. He is the suspect who allegedly shot 3 New York State Troopers, one of whom died last Sunday.

The manhunt was centered in western New York state, mainly in Chautauqua County, where he has family and friends. It was here that on August 31, two New York state troopers from the Albany, NY MRT were ambushed while doing surveillance of the home of Phillips' ex-girlfriend, the mother of his daughter.

Trooper Donald Baker, Jr. remains in critical condition after being shot in the back.
Trooper Joseph Longobardo, age 32, died last Sunday leaving a young wife and 13 month old son. He will be laid to rest in Saratoga Springs, NY on Monday.

Why am I saying thank you ? You may have heard the saying that we should give our children roots but we should also give them wings. Barely a month ago my daughter left the nest and moved away from home........to THAT county to attend college and share an apartment with a girlfriend - right in the middle of where this manhunt was taking place.

How can I ever come close to expressing enough gratitude for keeping my child safe when a trooper gave his life doing so ? His 13 month old son will grow up not knowing his courageous, dedicated father. But there are many, many people here who want him to know that his father will never be forgotten.

The Brotherhood. Those of you in SF, in law enforcement, in firefighting careers all experience it. Federal, state and local law enforcement agencies all over the state and the country offered their resouces and manpower during the search. Watching this brotherhood in action was a special thing to witness.

A couple days after Trooper Longobardo died, I was in a Wal-Mart checkout lane and overheard two cashiers who found some humor in the fact that Phillips could evade capture for so long. I stood there in line listening to this, knowing my blood pressure was rapidly rising. Those of you on this board who know me realize that as an educator I must be mindful of what I say and do in public places. But, hard as I might, I couldn't keep my mouth shut as I grabbed my packages to leave. I didn't care who might overhear me as I looked at both cashiers and said loudly thru clenched teeth, " I hope he fries!". I turned and walked out.

Trooper Longobardo gave his life, doing his job, and especially during this manhunt, keeping people safe. One of them was my only child.

All of you who are LEOs go to work every day not knowing what you might face.

The public doesn't say it enough - thank you. Thank you to all of you, and please know that your Brother's sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Roycroft201

CoLawman
09-10-2006, 01:03
Thank you! And congratulations to New York for getting the coward!

Five-O
09-10-2006, 08:00
All local, state and federal law enforcement morn the loss of Trp. Longobardo and will support his family. It is a shame Phillips was arrested.

Gypsy
09-10-2006, 10:29
The public doesn't say it enough - thank you. Thank you to all of you, and please know that your Brother's sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Sincerely,
Roycroft201

Amen. My prayers are with Trooper Donald Baker, Jr. for his recovery and with the family, friends and Brothers/Sisters of Trooper Joseph Longobardo.

I hope "bucky" fries.

Goggles Pizano
09-10-2006, 14:08
Roycroft it's our pleasure to work for people like you and your family.

x SF med
09-10-2006, 20:04
to all the LEOs, and their fallen comrades -Thank you.

Not too long ago (2 yrs on Thanksgiving) my folks had to call LE due to a situation with my brother (an ex-marine) - they actually gave him 2 choices - jail, or the psych det. at the VA Hospital. Once he got to the jail, even though he'd been off his meds for nearly 2 wks, he chose the VA, and they drove him there. In my book, that was compassion, above and beyond the call of duty. Again, thanks, for everything.

BoyScout
09-10-2006, 21:49
I can never give enough gratitutde to all LEOs, fallen or not. For those who have not made the sacrifice, stay safe.

Roycroft201
09-10-2006, 23:15
I hope "bucky" fries.

Gypsy - Many people share that opinion but, at the current time, New York state does not have the death penalty. However, I am confident that he will never see the outside of a jail cell again in this lifetime. It is interesting to note that Trooper Longobardo's father has said that he is glad he was captured alive. He would like Phillips to experience 'pain' during the rest of his life in prison, as Mr. Longobardo said his family will never stop feeling the pain of their loss.

Goggles Pizano - As time went on during this manhunt in a rather rural and, in some places, heavily wooded area (the Allegheny National Forest is a boundary) Phillips continued to break into homes and hunting cabins, steal cars ( over a dozen), broke into a gun shop and stole 41 guns (6 or 8 of which are still not recovered) and it was obvious that he was becoming more desparate.
Investigators said 35 handguns and six long guns, high-powered rifles, were stolen in a break-in at Tom's Gun Shop in Ellington last weekend. They also said a substantial amount of ammunition was taken.

The messages I left on my daughter's cell phone showed my increasing level of anxiety as this progressed.

It was not easy terrain for those tracking him, but they did a tremendous job with their overwhelming presence all over the area.

Officer Longobardo, a member of the Air National Guard and a former Marine, is remembered on the 'Officer Down Memorial Page' here :
http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18479

RC201