PDA

View Full Version : Not Coming To a Theatre Near You

Kahuku Saint
09-08-2006, 00:22
I wasn't sure where to put this; since it isn't a review or a recommendation, I thought I would toss this out here for discussion. Suffice to say, this would best operate under the 'Hey, Look!' principle.

Frontline did a piece on PMCs back in '05 that was quite interesting; when combined with my own reading, it provided another interesting wrinkle in the 4GW theory, one I find infinitely fascinating. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to delve into it as much as I would like so my knowledge remains minimal. Still, this looks interesting and I have it from a reliable source that this exists as an excellent, evenhanded primer on the mercenary question.

-KS

THE RULES OF WAR HAVE CHANGED.

This year thousands of private soldiers will be deployed in conflicts worldwide.
These individuals, known as private security contractors, are changing
the face of modern warfare.
But to those at home, their world and influence remains a mystery.

Who are these security contractors ?
What do they do ?
Why do they do it ?

Shadow Company, by Nick Bicanic and Jason Bourque, is the
groundbreaking feature-length documentary that reveals
the origins and destinations of these
modern-day mercenaries.

Check: http://www.shadowcompanythemovie.com/

The Reaper
09-08-2006, 07:55
Marketing hype.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
09-13-2006, 21:10
Marketing hype.

TR
You mis-spelled "bull shit" Sir.

Kahuku Saint
09-15-2006, 00:59
Or is it?

I contend that it could be complete and utter tripe, but I am willing to forego judgement until after viewing. Again, I do place some emphasis on the word primer. When I am done, I'll even splurge on postage, NDD, if you want to confirm your assesment. :D Though, I am definitely interested in more in-depth reading. If you have any recommendations, send them my way.

NousDefionsDoc
09-15-2006, 06:39
Or is it?

I contend that it could be complete and utter tripe, but I am willing to forego judgement until after viewing. Again, I do place some emphasis on the word primer. When I am done, I'll even splurge on postage, NDD, if you want to confirm your assesment. :D Though, I am definitely interested in more in-depth reading. If you have any recommendations, send them my way.
We are not talking about the movie - I haven't seen it. We are discussing the advertising teases in your first post.

And yes it is bullshit. How do I know? ;)
1. Not mercenaries - look it up.
2. Not even close to an RMA - "changing the face of modern warfare"? Hardly.
3. Nothing misterious about it.
4. Nothing new about it. Riding shotgun on stagecoaches. Samurai BGs.
5. "Shadow Company" LOL - the authors must be Lethal Weapon fans. Is there a Mr. Joshua buring his forearm with a lighter in it?

I'll watch the movie, but the tease info is indeed BS. What I suspect you will see are a very few professionals - former soldiers - quietly doing their jobs.

And a bunch of flakes acting like asses.

Why? Most professionals will either be too busy or too professional to participate in the film.

Mostly it is hard work. A little better pay, less support and more freedom to choose an ensemble for the day. That's all.

Cincinnatus
09-15-2006, 08:45
...and more freedom to choose an ensemble for the day...

LOL! Reminds me of a photo some chucklehead posted of himself sitting on the ramp of (a Hind?) some Russky helicopter wearing Spetznaz PJs and Oakleys. I think he would have found time to talk to the film maker. :rolleyes:

What was it the Sarge on "Hill Street Blues" used to say - "Stunning ensemble, Faye." :D :D :D

Kahuku Saint
09-15-2006, 20:10
We are not talking about the movie - I haven't seen it. We are discussing the advertising teases in your first post.

Ah yes, as a long standing "gray man" I should've known better: marketing strategies will be met with particular umbrage 'round here. Chalk that one up to a failure in SA. I should've just left a link. Let me know when to drop...

2. Not even close to an RMA - "changing the face of modern warfare"? Hardly.

I wouldn't call it an RMA either; instead, a continued evolution in the history of warfare. Of course, this assumes that one subscribes to the 4GW theory and that this is a return to pre-Westphalian ideas of armies and navies.

3. Nothing misterious about it.

To you and to me, maybe (and by extension, those who post here regularly); but for a large part of the public I suspect it is. I doubt many knew what a PMC was before the remains of Blackwater's four contractors were dangling from that bridge in Fallujah. Of course, I should've known the audience I was writing for.

5. "Shadow Company" LOL - the authors must be Lethal Weapon fans. Is there a Mr. Joshua buring his forearm with a lighter in it?

I agree. The title is a rather dubious, but I can see what the filmmakers were trying to do with it. You know, the whole "shadowy" company operating within, but not under, the current Command & Control structure.

I'll watch the movie, but the tease info is indeed BS. What I suspect you will see are a very few professionals - former soldiers - quietly doing their jobs.

I hope you do watch it, NDD (I'll look forward to your expert opinion). My copy should be here in a few days and I'll be glad to review it after I've seen it. So we'll see...

-KS

Ambush Master
09-15-2006, 21:48
Ah yes, as a long standing "gray man" I should've known better: marketing strategies will be met with particular umbrage 'round here. Chalk that one up to a failure in SA. I should've just left a link. Let me know when to drop...

Of course, I should've known the audience I was writing for.
-KS

Dude..................TOSS the SHOVEL!!!!:D

deanwells
09-15-2006, 23:58
Why do you keep pubbin the flick? Give it a rest.

Team Sergeant
09-16-2006, 09:25
KS as many of us know 98% of the "contractors" are nothing more than men and women pulling 90 day rotations of guard duty in a god forsaken place for lots of money.

Movie worthy as you think that is I'd personally rather watch rosie odonnell mud wrestling than former mall security guards dressed like soldiers, pulling guard duty in Iraq.

My .02

Team Sergeant

CoLawman
09-16-2006, 09:48
[QUOTE=Team Sergeant]Movie worthy as you think that is I'd personally rather watch rosie odonnell mud wrestling than former mall security guards dressed like soldiers, pulling guard duty in Iraq.

Oh......I bet that leaves a mark!

Kyobanim
09-16-2006, 10:15
I'd personally rather watch rosie odonnell mud wrestling than former mall security guards dressed like soldiers, pulling guard duty in Iraq.

That's a picture I didn't need in my mind.

incommin
09-16-2006, 12:36
"Movie worthy as you think that is I'd personally rather watch rosie odonnell mud wrestling than former mall security guards dressed like soldiers, pulling guard duty in Iraq."

For anyone who can think, that line has to hurt as bad as getting hit in the head with a hammer!

Jim

Monsoon65
09-16-2006, 16:12
Movie worthy as you think that is I'd personally rather watch rosie odonnell mud wrestling than former mall security guards dressed like soldiers, pulling guard duty in Iraq.

Well, off to a therapist to get that image out of my head!