PDA

View Full Version : Buenos Aires

jatx
09-06-2006, 17:25
Okay, I was in BA for New Years and had an incredible time, so I am going back for a month starting this weekend. I've rented an apartment in Recoleta and that's about as far as my planning has progressed.

Any would-be portenos around here with tips on things to do or see while there? I am particularly interested in local spots for dining and nightlife that the guidebooks won't point me towards.

Oh, BTW, I ship to BCT 18 hours after my return to the US, so I need to have some serious fun! :D

The Reaper
09-06-2006, 17:32
Likely to be chilly when you first get there.

Take the shuttle (hydrofoil?) over to Montevideo for the day when it warms up.

Have you visited the museums in BA?

Recoleta is beautiful.

TR

kgoerz
09-06-2006, 19:25
Big City. Was on the tallest building there and couldn't see the end of the City. That is rare for most Cities. There is one strip there where they have all the Wine tasting and outdoor Cafes. People are distant and shy. Very European. Nothing like Central America. Best Antique shops I ever saw. There is a ten block section of just Antique Shops. Very popular with tourists, wont be hard to find. Very expensive but that was before they had their money problems. The Antique Military shops are awesome but like I said it was very expensive then. I bought an original SS Paratrooper helmet for $300.00. But it was in mint condition. Even have all the old guns but I don't know the custom Laws.

Aoresteen
09-06-2006, 20:51
If you have a month, catch a flight to see Iguazu Falls. It's better than what the guide books show. Stay on the Brazilian side; you'll need a visa to get into Brazil.

Go to the US Embassy and they will expedite the visa process for you. The Brazilian Embassy closes at 4:00 PM SHARP! We got there at 3:59 and they were shutting the door and they had our passports and it was Friday... :)

Rent the mid 80's movie "The Mission". It was filmed at Iguazu Falls.

Defion69
12-07-2007, 18:50
I recommend a trip to Tigre via the train from BA. Tigre is a small town a few hours away by train. Once you get there, you can go by boat down the river where many residents live among the water....very relaxing place. There is so much to do in Argentina and 1 month is a great way to spend down there. Good luck and have a blast. I go there every year for El Clasico de Boca-River...the biggest soccer rivalry in SA.

SF_BHT
12-07-2007, 19:22
If you have a month, catch a flight to see Iguazu Falls. It's better than what the guide books show. Stay on the Brazilian side; you'll need a visa to get into Brazil.

Go to the US Embassy and they will expedite the visa process for you. The Brazilian Embassy closes at 4:00 PM SHARP! We got there at 3:59 and they were shutting the door and they had our passports and it was Friday... :)

Rent the mid 80's movie "The Mission". It was filmed at Iguazu Falls.

Visa is required like Aoresteen said. New twist is the Brazilian Government is very slow now with doing the visa process for Americans. They are pissed that they now have to have a visa and provide their finger print and smile for a photo upon entering the US. Because of that they slow down the process for all types of American Passports. Tourist visa can take 3-10 days. Be careful or you may get stuck longer than you want waiting for the return of the passport.
If you use an official or Diplomatic Passport you now have to send it to their embassy in DC to get approval (3-10 days) and then present it with the approval to their embassy wherever you are. For me the last one took 18 days. Really hosed up the Opn.

The best side is the Brazil side to see and enjoy the falls.:D

jatx
12-07-2007, 20:10
Thanks guys, but the trip was 14 months ago! :)

I didn't make it to the Falls, but I did take a day trip to Tigre, which I would not repeat. Next time I am going to spend some time in Cordoba, Rosario and Patagonia, as well. Anyone planning a trip in the future, PM for suggestions and I'll be happy to advise.

Defion69
12-07-2007, 20:55

I didn't make it to the Falls, but I did take a day trip to Tigre, which I would not repeat. Next time I am going to spend some time in Cordoba, Rosario and Patagonia, as well. Anyone planning a trip in the future, PM for suggestions and I'll be happy to advise.

Too bad you didn't enjoy your Tigre trip. Patagonia is full of adventures. Good luck on your next trip down there.

SF_BHT
12-08-2007, 09:15

Too bad next time try a less developed country where the women are a lot more Friendly. Hell it is also a lot cheaper "PERU"

jatx
12-08-2007, 09:29
Too bad next time try a less developed country where the women are a lot more Friendly. Hell it is also a lot cheaper "PERU"

I love the Argie women and have nothing but good things to say about them. I would have brought one home, but she wouldn't fit in my suitcase. :D In fact, I had so much fun partying in BA that I ended up scratching a lot of the side trips that I had planned. My limited Spanish wasn't a big issue - it comes quickly and most people will make an effort to meet you half way.

My personal travel tastes tend toward the "developed country" side, so Argentina is perfect. You can cool your heels in BA and enjoy the good life on the cheap, or take a short flight to experience all of the country's natural wonders. If you enjoy collecting art, now is a great time to make purchases down there.

One of these days, I am going to have to try a summer ski trip to Las Lenas, as well as some dove hunting. Peru and Colombia are also on the list - hopefully Colombia before the Lonely Planet crowd catches on again.

Leozinho
12-08-2007, 10:12
Peru and Colombia are also on the list - hopefully Colombia before the Lonely Planet crowd catches on again.

Better hurry, Jatx. The hike to Ciudad Perdida in Santa Marta now includes an optional side trip to a coca processing plant. It's quickly becoming a must see on the gringo trail. (I personally hear it's as tourist trap rather than an real working plant, but your friends back home don't need to know that.)

Those dirty backpackers - I don't understand why they don't get jobs - :D

The Reaper
12-08-2007, 10:26
Next time I am going to spend some time in Cordoba, Rosario and Patagonia, as well. Anyone planning a trip in the future, PM for suggestions and I'll be happy to advise.

Holy necro-post, Defion!

Cordoba is nice, kind of like a mini-BA. Salta, much more primitive and remote. IIRC, Mendoza is nice for skiing. Patagonia is very special.

TR

jatx
12-08-2007, 11:20
Holy necro-post, Defion!

Cordoba is nice, kind of like a mini-BA. Salta, much more primitive and remote. IIRC, Mendoza is nice for skiing. Patagonia is very special.

TR

LOL, if I take everyone's suggestions and visit all of the places I'd like to in Argentina, I'll end up being "that gringo" who speaks Spanish with an Italian accent! :D

Better hurry, Jatx. The hike to Ciudad Perdida in Santa Marta now includes an optional side trip to a coca processing plant. It's quickly becoming a must see on the gringo trail. (I personally hear it's as tourist trap rather than an real working plant, but your friends back home don't need to know that.)

Sounds neat, but can you shoot the people working there? :munchin