PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions

Kyobanim
08-22-2006, 12:53
Have a look at this video. It's 3.5 minutes and a slow load. It's another self defense school. Look at the link to the right of the movie for more information as to where this is coming from, (phistunt.com).
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=2490054233784956586

Your thoughts and opinions, if you will.

Five-O
08-22-2006, 13:19
The Gun-Fu looked good and always the preferred technique. Other than that, it looked like a run of the mill Akido mix with a striking style maybe krav maga? Not anything earth shattering and not a realistic video. IMHO

Smokin Joe
08-22-2006, 17:47
IMHO,

It had some decent gross motor skill techiques but they also had some very willing bad guys.

Looking at his web site, it appears this isn't much more than just stunt fighting. :rolleyes:

Kyobanim
08-22-2006, 19:45
Joe, I think you hit it on the head.
A little background, I've been contracted to do a logo and web site for this guy through my old instructor. I have seen small portions of the training but nothing extensive.

My problem with it, is it is just stunt fighting. All the instructors are stunt people. Most have martial arts experience but there isn't one person who has gone hands on with a bad guy. I flat out asked the guy and he said he hadn't used it in a real situation.

Now for the reason I posted this. I think it's about time this self defense industry, and probably the martial arts too, should have some type of regulatory commission or something. There are way too many BS artists in both fields. I could go on but that's the jest of it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

lksteve
08-22-2006, 19:59
I think it's about time this self defense industry, and probably the martial arts too, should have some type of regulatory commission or something...Anyone have any thoughts on this?#1 Who legislates the commission....?
#2 Who selects the commission...?
#3 What are the qualifications of the commissioners...?
#4 Who judges those qualifications...?
#5 Who regulates the regulators...?

i could go on all day, and while i agree with you conceptually, i don't see regulation keeping charlatans out of the field...i say that as someone who is registered as a professional land surveyor under the auspices of two state boards...

the only way, IMNSHO, it will happen is if it can be proven to a legislative body that such a regulating commission protects the public or is in the public interest...one would have to prove that the existence of unregulated practioners causes actual damage to the public...

what disciplines are included...? which disciplines are left out...? how does one become registered, by what process, what documentation, what exam, what fees have to be paid, how often are they renewed, how often does a practioner have to go back for continuing education/training, what constitutes grounds for a grievance...?

and there will be lawyers involved...lotsa lawyers...

whoever starts the ball rolling will spend a good deal of time pushing a noodle uphill...but if, in your professional opinion, regulation is needed...then go for it...

my $0.02...

Goggles Pizano
08-22-2006, 21:01
[QUOTE=lksteve
and there will be lawyers involved...lotsa lawyers...

.[/QUOTE]

Abandon all hope ye who enter that ring!

demodude
09-05-2006, 15:55
LMAO....you got to love Hollywood Combatives. There will never be a commission to regulate this stuff. Do the job, take the money. The real guys will determine what is real and what works.

Roguish Lawyer
09-05-2006, 16:42
Nice avatar, demodude.