PDA

View Full Version : Baseball is a great game

NousDefionsDoc
08-20-2006, 19:14
So The Kid gets selected as one of the 18 best ball players in the city in his age group. Plays 2nd. They had a tournament this weekend against other towns where baseball is a much bigger deal - our kids usually don't fare so well.

I go straight from work to the ball park Friday. The Kid goes 3 for 4 with two doubles. 2 RBIs, 2 runs scored. He would have been 4 for 4, but a kid made a very lucky catch in left field.

Saturday - double header. The Kid goes 1 for 7 with 6 Ks. Couldn't buy a hit with US dollars (I tried). Made a critical error in the field that led to a long(er) inning. They pulled him in the 5th of the 2nd game. He was devasted, but the team won and beat the odds on favorite to win the thing. We had a long talk about attitude and contributions, slumps, how life sucks, etc.

Today, doubleheader. He goes 6 for 7 and hit his first HR. They beat the 2nd favorite in the tournament. Of course I wasn't there, so I offered to be the jinx for Saturday, but he pointed out that he hit well Friday and I was there, so it couldn't be me - God love him.

Tomorrow they play for the trophy.

It was a good weekend all around. They brought some former Big Leaguers in to have a HR derby and give a clinic on Saturday. Bill Madlock was among them http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/madlobi01.shtml

I translated for Madlock while he gave the clinic, so we spent a little time together - great guy.

I think The Kid learned a valuable lesson about not giving up. And probably one about how the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.

What a great sport. Those guys that are ruining it for money are whores and they suck.

Bill Harsey
08-20-2006, 19:31
Wow! NDD, You got yourself a ballplayer.

Great job NDD Jr.!

I agree with your thoughts on the game.

The Reaper
08-20-2006, 19:43
Roger all.

Great job, hermano!

TR

mugwump
08-20-2006, 19:43
I'm sure you've heard this a million times, I know I did from all the dads with grown kids, but these are the best days. I envy you. Man I miss my kids playing baseball.

mugwump

NousDefionsDoc
08-20-2006, 20:25
Thanks guys. Thing is, he's only be playing a year and he's already better than I ever was. As long as he's having fun, I hope he keeps playing.

My new motto - "For Buddha's sake Hoss, it's a damn game! Smile!" ;)

I yell "Atta boy!" at the top of my lungs a lot too.

CPTAUSRET
08-20-2006, 20:31
NDD:

Good on ya, brother!

Enjoy it while you can, they grow up too fast!

Roycroft201
08-20-2006, 20:49
I'll echo Mr. Harsey.......WOW !!

A terrific ball player you have there, NDD.

Good luck to your son and his team for tomorrow's final game.

mugwump
08-20-2006, 21:08
I yell "Atta boy!" at the top of my lungs a lot too.

My boy used to pitch, and when he lost control one of his coaches used to yell "Just throw strikes." Pissed the boy off no end. "Not only does he think I can't pitch, he thinks I'm too stupid to know I'm supposed to throw strikes!"

I used to yell "Scratch your balls and spit!" instead. His Mom would then hit me, which would make him laugh, and the next pitch was invariably a strike.

Scratching balls and spitting is very important in baseball.

mugwump

mugwump
08-20-2006, 21:09
NDD:

Good on ya, brother!

Enjoy it while you can, they grow up too fast!

See!? SEE!?

Gypsy
08-20-2006, 21:20
Kudos to "The Kid", and you too NDD!

Best of luck to him and his team in the finals tomorrow. :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
08-20-2006, 21:21
My boy used to pitch, and when he lost control one of his coaches used to yell "Just throw strikes." Pissed the boy off no end. "Not only does he think I can't pitch, he thinks I'm too stupid to know I'm supposed to throw strikes!"

I used to yell "Scratch your balls and spit!" instead. His Mom would then hit me, which would make him laugh, and the next pitch was invariably a strike.

Scratching balls and spitting is very important in baseball.

mugwump
ROTFLMAO!!!!:lifter I'll have to remember that, thanks for the tip!

The coaches here over coach. He's walking to the plate and they are both giving him "tips", "instructions" etc. "Hands back", "Elbow up" - that kind of shit. I just tell him, "Knock the snot out of it!" Osama Bin Mama finally asked - I should have lied...

When he first started, he looked at the 3rd strike a lot - and then looked at the ump. I told him, "Don't ever do anything half-assed. If you're going to strike out, do it gloriously. Go down in a ball of flames. Swing so hard you corkscrew yourself into the ground like Wyle E. Then look at the Pitcher and say, 'I'll be back and you'd better not be there when I walk up here again.'"

BTW - the official language of baseball is English. The truly great sayings simply do not translate.

Sdiver
08-20-2006, 22:06
Sounds like you've got yourself a slugger there.

This is what Baseball is all about. Not some pill poppin', "juice" takin', crying, overpriced, spoiled, SOB.

But kids getting out there and giving it their best and having fun doing it. That plus, the scratching their balls and spitting in public thing too.

NSDQ
08-20-2006, 22:36
If you're going to strike out, do it gloriously. Go down in a ball of flames. Swing so hard you corkscrew yourself into the ground like Wyle E. Then look at the Pitcher and say, 'I'll be back and you'd better not be there when I walk up here again."
Absolutely ! Great advice.

Martin
08-21-2006, 04:50
I don't know the technicals of innings, etc, but that sounds like good fun!

Thanks for sharing, NDD! Put a silver lining to my morning.

Martin - Has only seen one game, live in WI... first time I ever saw someone shoot a burrito

Kyobanim
08-21-2006, 05:30
Today, doubleheader. He goes 6 for 7 and hit his first HR. They beat the 2nd favorite in the tournament. Of course I wasn't there, so I offered to be the jinx for Saturday, but he pointed out that he hit well Friday and I was there, so it couldn't be me - God love him.

You have a great kid NDD. You're a lucky guy.

vsvo
08-21-2006, 08:55
Thanks for sharing, NDD. Kudos to your son, and to you!

Roguish Lawyer
08-21-2006, 10:20
Tell The Kid Buena Suerte.

NousDefionsDoc
08-21-2006, 11:28
We lost 5-0. I don't know yet how The Kid did. Now they go to the park and get ice cream.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-21-2006, 14:19
That's terrific NDD. Great times and good memories. Of course, I think my youngest played because it was the only time I allowed him to hit anything with a bat and get away with it:D

Goggles Pizano
08-22-2006, 09:24
As has been said here NDD enjoy all of this. Great bonding and the best learning experience he'll ever get! He sounds like a hell of a good player.:lifter

lksteve
08-22-2006, 18:58
And probably one about how the sun don't shine on the same dog's ass everyday.and of course, it'll shine on his ass more often than most if he keeps showing up and hustling...

Roycroft201
08-23-2006, 01:09
first time I ever saw someone shoot a burrito

I had NO idea what Martin was talking about when he posted this so I had to ask him to clarify .........

When he was at a baseball game while visiting in WI, the food vendor would shoot a foil wrapped 'burrito' (or maybe a hotdog ?) out of a cannon to reach the customer in the stands. :D

Thanks, Martin !

Martin
08-23-2006, 03:38
I had NO idea what Martin was talking about when he posted this so I had to ask him to clarify .........

When he was at a baseball game while visiting in WI, the food vendor would shoot a foil wrapped 'burrito' (or maybe a hotdog ?) out of a cannon to reach the customer in the stands. :D

Thanks, Martin !
Burrito or "kebab roll", but as you don't seem to have the latter, I would guess the first (and that's what memory says). It was big...

I don't think it had that good accuracy, so it was more like a lottery of some sorts... :)

Talk to you soon, B.

M

x SF med
08-23-2006, 06:38
NDD-
Big Congrats to the KID. As long as he's having fun, it's great - once it becomes 'just a job' it's time to find something else that's fun. Baseball is supposed to be fun.

Y'know, I miss the full contact, inter company softball games we used to have at Devens, and the Combat football games too. I'm too old for the football, and once my knee heals again I'm going to have to find a softball team (over 40) to play on.

MAB32
08-26-2006, 18:13
Yep, I agree, your Son is truely Blessed and you definately sound very PROUD, as you should be. Maybe he'll be the next LeBron James of Baseball? The only game I know that is both fun to play as it is to watch.

mugwump
08-31-2006, 10:34
NDD,

So, is there a brim style favored down there? You know, u, deep u, sharp v, squared, ghetto-flat? Kids are moving from a deep u to squared around here. I liked sqaured brims when I pitched -- they blocked the batter's view of the ball, or at least that's what I thought.

NousDefionsDoc
08-31-2006, 15:49
NDD,

So, is there a brim style favored down there? You know, u, deep u, sharp v, squared, ghetto-flat? Kids are moving from a deep u to squared around here. I liked sqaured brims when I pitched -- they blocked the batter's view of the ball, or at least that's what I thought.
They wear caps.

x SF med
08-31-2006, 18:55
... first time I ever saw someone shoot a burrito

Now that would take a really large bore cannula.

Reminds me of Doc Farr's 'practice runs' at Ft Sam - run your ass off for 5 miles, then practice sticking each other with 16 ga when you're dehydrated - isn't that special!