PDA

View Full Version : Training Gear Load-Out, or, What I Took on My Summer Vacation

The Reaper
08-18-2006, 18:24
Gear List/Brief Review

Old knuckle-dragging, trigger-puller, attending two week shooting school earlier this month, in Southern Woodland/Swamp/Urban Terrain, 95-105 degree highs daily, high humidity, to learn cool new stuff and get beat down.

Gear hounds, if it interests you, here is what I wound up with. Over half my gear never left the room to go to training. Just in case items or better stuff was available. Here is what I chose to use and a few brief comments about it.

Anyone who uses this gear to make a living (and not for AirSoft games) who sees something and has a question or comment, feel free to ask or jump in. Keep it professional.

Thanks!

TR

• UnderArmour Heat Gear T-Shirt – Performed very well, if only they could be safely worn in a combat environment. Also have to go to long sleeves after a day or two in the sun. Take the gear off though, and your t-shirt is dry in 15 minutes.
• DCUs – Better than the ACUs
• Wellco Desert Boots – Excellent value, great boots, no problems
• SOLE Footbeds – Makes standing for 16 hours per day possible
• Ingenius Socks – Still the best, keep your feet dry and comfy all day long
• Eagle Instructor Belt – Standard design, superior materials and construction
• Oakley Half Jackets – Good, but difficult to change lenses. Recommend spare pair in Clear. Prescription lenses nice, but very spendy. Lost one nose piece and snapped the tab off a lens in less then three weeks
• SWMS Heat Grip Gloves – Good, but the SWMS/Camelbak Vent Gloves are the best till the Sims come out
• Alta Kneepads and Elbow Pads – Good, but like the Arc'Teryx Knee Caps I saw there better
• Cravat – So many uses, can’t leave home without at least one
• Boonie Hat – Swapped from the baseball hat when the sun got rough. Keeps ears and neck from burning
• Large Sebenza – That, or a T2 is the pocket knife to carry
• SureFire L4 – LED = more battery life, more light, and never needing to replace a bulb
• LRI Photon Freedom on Dog Tag Chain – Gotta give credit, hard to beat the tiny thing
• 20’ 550 Cord – So many uses, where would we be without it
• 6’ of Flattened 100mph Tape – You never know when you will need it
• Butane lighter – Easiest fire starter short of a Thermite Grenade or Trip Flare
• Signal Mirror – In the pocket. You never know you are carrying it till you need it.
• Signal Scarf – See above. So much smaller than a VS-17.
• Rite in the Rain Notebook and Pen – Listen up and take copious notes, all the time

• BHI Padded Duty Belt – Last minute addition. Who did they get the design from so I can pay the inventor and buy the real deal?
• Safariland 6004 – Fast and furious. Good CQB rig. Not designed for patrolling or vehicle use.
• Emdom 6o4 Pistol Mag Pouch – New design from MM lets me carry four mags (or six) in the real estate of two. Great idea, well executed
• HSGI Suspenders – Great design, wish the shoulders were non-slip
• EGL Dump Pouch – Another great one. Keep partially loaded mags and spare ammo loose to top off during idle moments
• Spec Ops Flashlight Pouch – Excellent design
• SureFire L1 Red Flashlight – Low and Medium power, very long life from single battery, compact, very handy for small tasks, and easy on your night vision to boot
• Leatherman Charge XTi – Our very own. Wish I could get it my way.
• Harsey-Reeve Green Beret Knife in Spec-Ops Sheath – Carried it till I knew I didn’t need it, then kept it handy in my bag, just in case

• Level 3A Plates and carrier – Lightest plates I have seen yet, will get the name of the manufacturer
• Level 3A Helmet – Lightest 3A helmet out there, will get the name of the manufacturer, if anyone needs one. Expensive.
• AN/PVS-14 NVD – Standard issue, good gear
• SureFire HL-1 Helmet Light – Very handy, wish it was the IR version
• ESS Avenger Goggles – Excellent for when the Pro Mask was not needed and the Oakleys were not enough. Only fogged under severe conditions.
• Scott N95 Protective Mask – Flows filtered air like it has a positive pressure hose on it. Never fogged. Da' King!
• Sordin SSP Supreme Ear Pro – Best ear pro I have ever worn, very comfortable, extreme battery life, great noise reduction and filtering, spendy.

• TT 1-Piece MAV w/X-Harness – Excellent rig, wish it had internal pockets
• 2x Single M-4 Mag Pouches with Double Pistol Mag Pouches on each - Super kit, first reload I went for. Two extended pistol mags in two pouches, SureFire and Leatherman in the other two
• 3x Double M-4 mag pouches – Good storage, rotate full mags to empty pouches on left
• 1x MBITR Radio Pouch – Never used radio
• Blowout Pouch – Get one properly stocked and learn how to use it. Add “owie” items as desired
• Eagle Hydration carrier and 100 oz. Camelbak Bladder – no lie, hydrate or die; consumed one and a half to two gallons of water per day. Felt like I passed it all between 2300 and 0600.
• Platypus Bladders – Assorted sizes, all flexible, handy and well made
• Otis Cleaning Kit – Compact, versatile, still wish I had a solid cleaning rod, just in case
• SureFire Z2 Flashlight – Never enough light
• Leatherman Wave – Great design
• LRI Photon Freedom on Retractable ID Badge Reel – great light for close up work, no dummy cord to tangle with
• Flex-Cuffs – Nothing better when you need them
• Chemlights – Lots of them, regular, High Intensity, and IR

• Glock G17 with Trijicon Night Sights and 3.5# Connector – What they told me to bring in 9mm. .40 or .45 would have been a different story. After seeing the M-9s, glad I did. Best running pistol there, unstoppable. 3,000 rounds, no KBs.
• SureFire X200B Pistol Light with DG-11 Switch – Very handy, very bright, no bulb, great one handed switch
• Glock Factory Mags – Infallible Tupperware

• LMT CQB-R clone with Match 2-Stage trigger – Most reliable and accurate rifle there. Ran like a top, hit whatever I aimed it at. Compact and reliable. Great for CQB, vehicles, and short range engagements. Trigger like a glass rod. ‘Nuff said?
• SureFire FA556K Suppressor – Great little can for the CQB-R, eliminates the nasty little bark of the shorty, but not the bite. Little or no shift in POI, installed or removed, extremely durable, sucks up the heat, sound and blast, but expensive.
• LMT SOPMOD Buttstock – Best M-4 buttstock out there, super stock cheek weld, rubber butt plate and ample storage to boot
• Falcon Ergo Sure Grip Pistol Grip – Grippiest and most comfortable for me
• EO Tech 552 Optic on LaRue EO Tech Mount – Great for CQB and short ranges, uses AA batteries, long battery life, fast, very fast shooting. LaRue mount puts it the dot just above the front sight post. Quick on and off, adjustable tension, locks up solid and stays repeatable
• SureFire M73 Foreend – Lots of real estate, solid lock-up, no rattles or dropped parts
• Troy Back-Up Iron Sight – Best BUIS I have run. Zeroed at the same time as the EO Tech, ran it up the whole time, lots of bumps and shared rifles, no problems
• Vickers Combat Applications Sling – New product, two-point sling with quick adjust, worked great for me. My favorite M-4 sling now. Pricey though.
• CQD Front Sling Mount – Very nice, low profile, inconspicuous, does not allow sling to wind like a rubber band airplane
• AN/PEQ-2A Aiming Light – Issue, dated, but does the job when it works
• SureFire M910A-BL – Controversial. I like it, had no issues, nav lights built in, powerful, focused main beam, uses common CR 123 batteries, easy to operate, lock on or off, turn it on and watch the roaches scatter. Some felt that it was heavy, blocked the preferred PEQ-2 Tape switch mount position, was fragile and prone to breakage. Mine did not. I had the Dieter CQD VFG and several other SureFires if needed, but I stayed with the M910A
• Trijicon RCO 4x32 ACOG on the LaRue ACOG Mount – Just in case the EO Tech crapped the bed or ranges got longer
• GI M-4 Mags with Green Followers – Ran great, but Inner Tubes and 100mph tape have to give way to the new sure grip tech, skateboard tape
• KG cleaning products, MiliTec-1 Lube and TW25B grease – keep the gun clean, wet, and the dust cover closed.
• StarLight Gun Case – Lighter than Pelican or other hard cases, M-4 with all accessories, to include a dozen mags, two set of optics, a suppressor, five SureFire light systems, a pistol, ten pistol mags, etc., only weighed 35 pounds loaded. The wheels made it possible to carry additional bags and to get around without a golf cart.

x SF med
08-18-2006, 19:25
TR-
If you're going non tac, try the Dry Shirt from Victory - SPF 50, long sleeve, repels light rain, breathable, longsleeve. I could only find them in white and grey on a web site called Sailing Anarchy. I use mine in hot and cold weather, dry, wet, sunny, breezy, or calm - about $40. Very comfortable, very durable as an outer or inner layer, works as a rash guard too.

The Reaper
08-18-2006, 19:55
TR-
If you're going non tac, try the Dry Shirt from Victory - SPF 50, long sleeve, repels light rain, breathable, longsleeve. I could only find them in white and grey on a web site called Sailing Anarchy. I use mine in hot and cold weather, dry, wet, sunny, breezy, or calm - about $40. Very comfortable, very durable as an outer or inner layer, works as a rash guard too.

http://cart.victorywetsuits.com/home.php?cat=11

Long sleeve, short sleeve, muscle shirt, 12 colors, six sizes.

Looks interesting, thanks.

TR

Psywar1-0
08-19-2006, 05:29
Gear List/Brief Review
BHI Padded Duty Belt – Last minute addition. Who did they get the design from so I can pay the inventor and buy the real deal?

I think this is a "Even a broken watch is right twice a day" type of thing.

This belt and the X200 belt clip are the only 2 BHI items that I really like.

The Reaper
08-19-2006, 07:45
I think this is a "Even a broken watch is right twice a day" type of thing.

This belt and the X200 belt clip are the only 2 BHI items that I really like.

I understand that Eagle and I think SKD also make similar padded belts.

The best X200 belt clip I have seen is the Uncle Mike's. Inexpensive, too. Just doesn't work with the X200s with extended switches.

TR

lksteve
08-19-2006, 08:25
Old knuckle-dragging, trigger-puller...to learn cool new stuff and get beat down. the Sluggos ought to take note...this need never goes away...
• DCUs – Better than the ACUsjust curious, but please expound...
• Eagle Hydration carrier and 100 oz. Camelbak Bladder – no lie, hydrate or die; consumed one and a half to two gallons of water per day. Felt like I passed it all between 2300 and 0600.sounds a little light on the water, TR...surprised you weren't a little dehydrated...in Somalia (similar weather conditions) i was going through around 2-3 gallons per day...

no pocket flask...?

Psywar1-0
08-19-2006, 12:16
I understand that Eagle and I think SKD also make similar padded belts.

The best X200 belt clip I have seen is the Uncle Mike's. Inexpensive, too. Just doesn't work with the X200s with extended switches.

TR

I will have to look into that. I do know that the BHI belt is 100% better than the Tactical Tailor padded molle belt that I was using.

Not to totally derail this thread, but regarding the light clips and assorted acounterments, have you found a good IWB holster that you can carry a 1911 with the light mounted? In the summer Im carrying the pistol IWB, with the light on a clip to avoid printing. In the winter with heavier clothing I carry the gun in a bladetech OWB holster with the light mounted and dont have a printing problem.

The Reaper
08-19-2006, 12:18
just curious, but please expound...

I am not a fan of the ACU non-camo pattern, the pajama material, or the design.

The DCUs met my needs better, and were much cheaper to boot.

sounds a little light on the water, TR...surprised you weren't a little dehydrated...in Somalia (similar weather conditions) i was going through around 2-3 gallons per day...

no pocket flask...?

One of the worst days for heat, I emptied the 100 oz. Camelbak twice, drank a two liter soda, and several bottles of Gatorade. I was drinking hard every time we paused, and closely monitoring my urination. I was probably mildly dehydrated at times when we went long between breaks, but I was working on it every time we stopped.

For reasons that I think are pretty obvious, I do not drink alcohol or take heavy meds when I am in a shooting school.

I will have to look into that. I do know that the BHI belt is 100% better than the Tactical Tailor padded molle belt that I was using.

Not to totally derail this thread, but regarding the light clips and assorted acounterments, have you found a good IWB holster that you can carry a 1911 with the light mounted? In the summer Im carrying the pistol IWB, with the light on a clip to avoid printing. In the winter with heavier clothing I carry the gun in a bladetech OWB holster with the light mounted and dont have a printing problem.

The Blade-Tech and the Side Armor are the only two companies I know making belt holsters that will carry the guns with lights mounted. I have tried to get my favorite holster maker, Kramer to make one for me, but thus far, they seem unwilling to try. Have you checked with Safariland?

HTH.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-19-2006, 18:37
What-no Coin?:D

The Reaper
08-19-2006, 21:20
What-no Coin?:D

Is that a challenge, Sir?:D

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-20-2006, 04:39
Is that a challenge, Sir?:D

TR

Absolutely not!!:D But I'd buy you a beer anytime.

eggroll
08-20-2006, 16:42
Reaper

you have the older model Loppy, I'll get you a revised version out with your next box :D

frostfire
08-25-2006, 00:59
UnderArmour Heat Gear T-Shirt – Performed very well, if only they could be safely worn in a combat environment. Also have to go to long sleeves after a day or two in the sun. Take the gear off though, and your t-shirt is dry in 15 minutes.

With UnderArmour brand getting more and more popular with most sports and military, its pricing also soars. To save a little, I would suggest trying the Nike Dri-Fit series. I've worn one all day long, under the sun, running, sprinting, working-out, in AC, worn by itself, with shirt over it etc. without changing or towelling off. Even with no wind, you still feel that cold breeze sensation as sweat is being wicked away. The material of both brands (or any sweat wicking garment) are the same: polyester, spandex, and nylon. I got mine at Marshalls for $9.95

x SF med
08-25-2006, 08:12
I've got a couple of 'dri-fits' too - nice stuff. There is another brand of that material that Head and Reebock use for their gear - can't remember the name.

I spend all of my money on sailing gear (and the boat) anymore, been a civilian too long I guess.

NousDefionsDoc
08-25-2006, 19:53
One of the worst days for heat, I emptied the 100 oz. Camelbak twice, drank a two liter soda, and several bottles of Gatorade. I was drinking hard every time we paused, and closely monitoring my urination. I was probably mildly dehydrated at times when we went long between breaks, but I was working on it every time we stopped.

For reasons that I think are pretty obvious, I do not drink alcohol or take heavy meds when I am in a shooting school.
You must have had a really good Medic when you were a TL to be so well trained.;)

I am wearing the DBT FAC with L4 plates and the L3 soft in the cumberbund. When I carry it, it's heavy as hell, but you don't notice it when you put it on. I have the 100oz bladder on the back, 2XFBs, 4X mags, 6X 12Ga Master Keys and the 6o4 with 3 mags and my PS Leatherman, a strong FAK, radio and GP pouch for the comms set, glove, etc. It's a load, but like I said, it doesn't feel heavy in wear.

Sounds like you had some good training there.

The Reaper
08-25-2006, 22:49
You must have had a really good Medic when you were a TL to be so well trained.;)

Sounds like you had some good training there.

Right on both counts.;)

I have to say that other than the HSGI suspender straps slipping off constantly, most of my gear made the weight tolerable as well.

As far as the UnderArmour goes, let's just say that I got a really good deal on it. It was comfortale, but it did get picked pretty badly by the Velcro on the armor and gear I was wearing over it.

If anyone wants additional feedback on any of the gear I used, I am more than happy to say how it worked for me, or like the Dry Fit, we can discuss alternatives. Thanks for the good words.

TR

Monsoon65
08-26-2006, 19:40
I know the AF Times has an article on different types of Underarmor-type tshirts. I want to take another look at some that I might be able to wear flying.

TR, you said you wished the TT MAV had internal pockets. Are you meaning some sort of map pocket? That might be able to be easily done by a parachute shop. They could stitch a square of fabric on the backside of the MAV in a "U" shape (Like this: |_|). They'd just have to be careful not to close off any PALS channels.

The Reaper
08-26-2006, 19:56
I know the AF Times has an article on different types of Underarmor-type tshirts. I want to take another look at some that I might be able to wear flying.

TR, you said you wished the TT MAV had internal pockets. Are you meaning some sort of map pocket? That might be able to be easily done by a parachute shop. They could stitch a square of fabric on the backside of the MAV in a "U" shape (Like this: |_|). They'd just have to be careful not to close off any PALS channels.

No, I meant internal mag pouches.

Thanks anyway though. I have my personal stitch associate working on something for me, even as we speak.

TR

CATAtonic426
10-31-2006, 12:25
Alta Kneepads and Elbow Pads – Good, but like the Arc'Teryx Knee Caps I saw there better

TR, looking into a new set of kneepads and looked back on this post. I was issued hatch in training, but some got issued altas. Mine worked well, didn't slip, and didn't cause much discomfort. Was wondering about yours or anyone else's opinion on the Alta pads, or if anyone has tried the Arc'Teryx and do they work better?

The Reaper
10-31-2006, 13:04
TR, looking into a new set of kneepads and looked back on this post. I was issued hatch in training, but some got issued altas. Mine worked well, didn't slip, and didn't cause much discomfort. Was wondering about yours or anyone else's opinion on the Alta pads, or if anyone has tried the Arc'Teryx and do they work better?

I like the Altas, but they were regularly turning into shin guards.

If you tightened them up enough to keep them from slipping, they cut into the backs of the legs.

The Arc'Teryx did not have these problems. They are expensive though, and the company seems difficult to deal with directly. Probably best ordered through REI or another dealer.

TR

CATAtonic426
10-31-2006, 13:43
Thank you, Sir. In my training, the Hatch didn't seem to slip much. I will have to check with REI about the Arc'Teryx, they look trick!

x SF med
10-31-2006, 15:29
TR-
Any issues with the water permeability of any of the Knee protection you mentioned? I need to purchase something to save my old knees from getting wailed while sailing, but most of the ones I've tried get heavy and become shin guards with the slightest dampening.... and everything seems to be at knee level on racing boats in a heavy wind.

The Reaper
10-31-2006, 16:42
TR-
Any issues with the water permeability of any of the Knee protection you mentioned? I need to purchase something to save my old knees from getting wailed while sailing, but most of the ones I've tried get heavy and become shin guards with the slightest dampening.... and everything seems to be at knee level on racing boats in a heavy wind.

I would go to an REI and look at the Arc'Teryx.

They seem to me to be that much better, and much lower profile than the others. Only thing other than the cost is the bright yelow color they are trimmed with.

TR

CATAtonic426
11-14-2006, 20:13
Sir, just an update, received my Arc'Teryx LEAF knee caps the other day. Ordering was very simple, just email Renee in the LEAF department. They shipped my stuff immediately and they only cost $35 when ordered through their LEAF program. The design is a lot different from the others on the market, they are a lot smaller & cut down, but this makes them very light & contributes to them staying where you put them. The top strap is elastic where the bottom one has no stretch or give. I find it best to locate the bottom strap low in the pocket behind the knee, the larger diameter of my calves keep them in place. My only concern is they are extremely light and I'm worried about durability as an issue. I'm currently giving them a good thrashing.

Distorted
05-17-2007, 15:46
With UnderArmour brand getting more and more popular with most sports and military, its pricing also soars. To save a little, I would suggest trying the Nike Dri-Fit series. I've worn one all day long, under the sun, running, sprinting, working-out, in AC, worn by itself, with shirt over it etc. without changing or towelling off. Even with no wind, you still feel that cold breeze sensation as sweat is being wicked away. The material of both brands (or any sweat wicking garment) are the same: polyester, spandex, and nylon. I got mine at Marshalls for $9.95

Anyone tried Zensah? I prefer it to UnderArmor. It's on expensive side though (especially without discounts).

Review here: http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/zensah.html

I googled for a 50% discount code (fall50--may be expired) when I ordered mine, and there are probably more like it floating around, though I imagine that the 40% code linked on MM for military will probably work for most of you.

The Reaper
05-17-2007, 16:00
Anyone tried Zensah? I prefer it to UnderArmor. It's on expensive side though (especially without discounts).

Review here: http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/zensah.html

I googled for a 50% discount code (fall50--may be expired) when I ordered mine, and there are probably more like it floating around, though I imagine that the 40% code linked on MM for military will probably work for most of you.

None of the compression type shirts are authorized anymore unless they are flame retardant.

I suspect that has put at least a temporary dent in UA's sales.

TR

Distorted
05-17-2007, 18:06
None of the compression type shirts are authorized anymore unless they are flame retardant.

I suspect that has put at least a temporary dent in UA's sales.

TR

http://yhst-6608495715390.stores.yahoo.net/8100f.html

Zensah's website suggests that they're specifically marketing to SOF niche, so it doesn't surprise me that they're pushing one. The $80 price tag (pre-discount) looks prohibitive--I certainly haven't had any experience with this. MM also didn't feature it in the review.

JGarcia
05-18-2007, 08:51
Does anyone like the issue knee pads? The ones, shown on the RFI PEO Soldier site, and made by "Bijan Protective." I use them, they don't move up or down the leg, but they are awfully sweaty. Our CIF issues them.

jwt5
05-18-2007, 09:46
Does anyone like the issue knee pads? The ones, shown on the RFI PEO Soldier site, and made by "Bijan Protective." I use them, they don't move up or down the leg, but they are awfully sweaty. Our CIF issues them.

I personally hate those pads. Too bulky and too hot for wear. I had a problem with the elastic digging into the backs of my legs.

They might be good for normal wear in a training environment, but they got too hot and bothersome in the sand box.

I went through a number of pads until I finally settled on just rotating them through. Depending on the mission and what task I was assigned with, I would pick from there.

JGarcia
05-18-2007, 10:30
They are hot, I'll give you that. Was there a spot on your body that wasnt hot?;) I tried the Alta's, they move around on my legs pretty good, so I kept tightening the straps, eventually they were really digging into the back of my legs, but still moving around. The only ones I've had that don't wander much are the issue knee pads. Yep, they're sweaty, but they're on your knee cap when you drop.

The Reaper
05-18-2007, 10:44
Then you should try the Arc'Teryx.

TR

JGarcia
05-18-2007, 11:13
Sir,
Are yours black and yellow like the sample pictured here:
Knee Caps (http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Knee-Caps#)

The Reaper
05-18-2007, 12:06
Sir,
Are yours black and yellow like the sample pictured here:
Knee Caps (http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Knee-Caps#)

As I believe I noted in the first post on this thread, and a few posts back.

IIRC, they are available from their LE/Military Department in all black.

HTH.

TR

JGarcia
05-18-2007, 17:10
:o ...sorry.

CATAtonic426
06-02-2007, 19:24
http://www.arcteryx.com/leaf/

G
06-10-2007, 04:08
Hey TR

Re: Protective eyewear; I was using Oakley half jackets but switched to Rudy Project http://www.rudyproject.com/products/details.php?idLivello1=2&idLivello2=3&idLivello3=9&idLivello4=52www.rudyproject.com/products/details.php?idLivello1=2&idLivello2=3&idLivello3=9&idLivello4=52

I'm using the "Rydon ev" model. I got them with reflective sunglass lenses, clear lenses and prescription lenses.

Much easier to change lenses and far better if you need prescription lenses (see link above) - the prescription lenses clip in behind the protective lens. Super easy to get on and off. Can keep spares handy etc... They also have other options for prescription lens wearers.

Take Care...

G

Razor
06-10-2007, 23:04
G, are the Rudy Projects ANSI rated? I didn't see it on the website.

jatx
06-11-2007, 05:05
G, are the Rudy Projects ANSI rated? I didn't see it on the website.

They are, and Rudy Project offers a 40% discount for military and LEOs.

G
06-11-2007, 18:05
Hi Guys

Did some surfing for you:

go to http://www.rudyproject.com/products/index.php?idLivello1=2&idLivello2=3&isAction=1

Now I didn't know they marketed a "tactical" range of eyewear - which you will see if you scroll to the bottom of the page.

From the website: "The Rudy Project Tactical series meet or exceed the optical, high velocity impact (150 ft/s – 46 m/s), high mass impact, penetration and all the other applicable requirements of ANSI Z87.1 – 2003.
Tested and type certified by Certottica s.ca.r.l. and ICS Laboratories, Inc."

Cheers

G