PDA

View Full Version : Plate Rack

kgoerz
08-17-2006, 16:15
Here are some pictures of a plate Rack we made down here. We drilled holes in the 8" plates and looped rubber over the top of the Rack. We used bolts to secure the rubber to the plates. We didn't want to weld the bolts on because if the threads were damaged due to poor marksmanship we would have to cut them off and reweld them. Also being able to remove the plates makes transporting the rack easier. I plan on making one for my range as soon as I get home. Any other simple metal target ideas would be appreciated. The Metal Range here is crap and we want to have our own to use, but all targets need to be portable. We have access to Steel and a welder.

CPTAUSRET
08-17-2006, 16:20
Looks good!

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 16:25
I think you should weld the bolts....

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 16:29
Looks good!
Really? I designed and built it. All by myself...

kgoerz
08-17-2006, 16:29
NDD, I was going to put Gravel under it for a base...........

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 16:33
NDD, I was going to put Gravel under it for a base...........
If you pick it up and run with it, it will be like a mover...

BWAAAAA!!!!

x SF med
08-17-2006, 16:35
Keith-
the way it's set up now, I bet you get a lot of fresh beef and horsemeat, from the pictures at least. :cool:

CPTAUSRET
08-17-2006, 18:00
Really? I designed and built it. All by myself...

Sneaky:

Think back, who did I want as a front seat/co-pilot in my cobra?

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 18:05
Sneaky:

Think back, who did I want as a front seat/co-pilot in my cobra?
ME! ME!

I had a different answer ready if nobody liked it....;)

Actually this is k's project. He wouldn't let me near it. We did shoot one of his plates with the AR-Big Gun - the verdict was they ain't designed for it. And he let me use the frame for a demo shoot. He's a good guy.

CPTAUSRET
08-17-2006, 18:10
ME! ME!

I had a different answer ready if nobody liked it....;)

Actually this is k's project. He wouldn't let me near it. We did shoot one of his plates with the AR-Big Gun - the verdict was they ain't designed for it. And he let me use the frame for a demo shoot. He's a good guy.

Does he know Des?

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 18:11
Does he know Des?
No sir - timing was off.

CPTAUSRET
08-17-2006, 18:13
No sir - timing was off.

Bummer! When you come to visit me, you will find that Des is less than 25 minutes away.

kgoerz
08-17-2006, 18:41
I said we built it not me. But you lost me in this thread. The Plate Rack is not where we are going to shoot at it in the photo. I am going to make the LT'S pull it across the Range while you yell at them with the Bullhorn

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 18:43
I said we built it not me. But you lost me in this thread. The Plate Rack is not where we are going to shoot at it in the photo. I am going to make the LT'S pull it across the Range while you yell at them with the Bullhorn
You mis-spelled "intimidate"...

x SF med
08-17-2006, 18:45
LTs - no fun, easy targets. IF they're ring knockers, they might offer a little challenge... (no offense to any QPs, we would only harm leg LTs on this site)

CPTAUSRET
08-17-2006, 18:54
But you lost me in this thread.

If I did that by hijacking your thread, I apologize!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-17-2006, 18:57
LTs - no fun, easy targets. IF they're ring knockers, they might offer a little challenge... (no offense to any QPs, we would only harm leg LTs on this site)

Pretty tough crowd here. Remember LTs grow up to be folks with Summary, Special and General Courts-Martial convening authority so if you shoot it you better kill and eat it.:D

kgoerz
08-17-2006, 19:21
What have I started, let’s talk about right to life next..........Just want any metal target ideas. Nothing beats direct feed back when shooting Steel. Paper targets definitely are necessary but you can't beat plinking Steel

lksteve
08-17-2006, 19:29
Remember LTs grow up to be folks with Summary, Special and General Courts-Martial convening authority so if you shoot it you better kill and eat itamen...speaking as a fromer Summary Courts-Martial Judge/Jury/Defender/Prosecutor...and the administrator of many Article 15s, including one for Article 134, to wit, abuse of a public animal...

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 19:39
What have I started, let’s talk about right to life next..........Just want any metal target ideas. Nothing beats direct feed back when shooting Steel. Paper targets definitely are necessary but you can't beat plinking Steel
Let's build a tricky.

kgoerz
08-17-2006, 19:45
Pretty tough crowd here. Remember LTs grow up to be folks with Summary, Special and General Courts-Martial convening authority so if you shoot it you better kill and eat it.

Didn't they replace all LT'S with former NCO'S and call them warrants.........Sorry couldn’t resist. I agree with the other threads, doing away with the LT'S on A Teams was a bad move. Any ideas for Steel Targets out there by the way.

NousDefionsDoc
08-17-2006, 19:48
Let's build a tricky.
Here's one...

lksteve
08-17-2006, 20:45
Didn't they replace all LT'S with former NCO'S and call them warrants.........Sorry couldn’t resist. I agree with the other threads, doing away with the LT'S on A Teams was a bad move. Any ideas for Steel Targets out there by the way.uh, some LTs were former NCOs, BTW...

as far as steel targets go, what range, what caliber and how much excitement...?

lksteve
08-17-2006, 20:47
I was going to put Gravel under it for a base...........why not have a hole in each of the horizontal ground supports and use a forming spike to secure it...?

CDRODA396
08-18-2006, 08:52
I really like these made my MGM...you hit the popper, it falls and launches a clay pigeon, LT, whatever you have sitting on the back...doesnt look like it would be too hard to make a simple version of ....great for shotgun work.

Team Sergeant
08-18-2006, 09:07
NDD,

Next time you build a plate rack you might want to incorporate "random".

Next time you build you might place the plates at varying widths and lengths.

Bad guys do not line up "dress right dress".;)

TS

Smokin Joe
08-18-2006, 10:11
Didn't they replace all LT'S with former NCO'S and call them warrants.........Sorry couldn’t resist. I agree with the other threads, doing away with the LT'S on A Teams was a bad move. Any ideas for Steel Targets out there by the way.
Here is one my father and I built. Shooting Steel Thread (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6410&highlight=Steel+Target)

The steel is cut into a siloutte. The head has a 2 inch circular hole with a 3/4 inch steel flapper behind the hole. The body has a 4 inch circular hole with a 3/4 inch steel flapper behind it.

So when shot correctly it gives you a distinctive ping. When shot incorrectly you get a distinctive splat.

kgoerz
08-18-2006, 17:35
NQUOTE]ext time you build a plate rack you might want to incorporate "random".

Bad guys do not line up "dress right dress".[QUOTE]

The Plates are easily removed to place in other places/positions and can be adjusted left and right and painted different colors.

Gene Econ
08-18-2006, 19:04
The Plates are easily removed to place in other places/positions and can be adjusted left and right and painted different colors.

KG:

I think it is a great job. I had the Brigade buy a bunch of steel targets from MGM but the Brigade had money due to OIF. I think we bought a good $60K worth of steel from MGM over about 18 months time. More than enough to keep twelve sniper teams occupied without having to shift steel around a range. I got a mix of full size IPSC, IPSC Classic, IPSC Flag, 12, 8, and 6 inch auto poppers. Also some Pepper Poppers that pull a cardboard IPSC over when they go down. We have blasted these targets with everything from SAWs through the M-24. I will say that the MGM stuff holds up very well.

You are getting the same result as a auto popper and I bet the cost for your rack is less than the cost of one 12 inch auto popper.

We have gotten some very good results from the MGM IPSC 'Flag' target. Guys love to work that target at range so you may want to take a look at the MGM web site and I bet you can fabricate something very similar.

I am a big believer in steel ranges. Time consuming to set the steel in but they really motivate guys.

Gene

kgoerz
08-18-2006, 19:14
I think it is a great job. I had the Brigade buy a bunch of steel targets from MGM but the Brigade had money due to OIF. I think we bought a good $60K worth of steel from MGM over about 18 months time. More than enough to keep twelve sniper teams occupied without having to shift steel around a range. I got a mix of full size IPSC, IPSC Classic, IPSC Flag, 12, 8, and 6 inch auto poppers. Also some Pepper Poppers that pull a cardboard IPSC over when they go down. We have blasted these targets with everything from SAWs through the M-24. I will say that the MGM stuff holds up very well.

You are getting the same result as a auto popper and I bet the cost for your rack is less than the cost of one 12 inch auto popper.

We have gotten some very good results from the MGM IPSC 'Flag' target. Guys love to work that target at range so you may want to take a look at the MGM web site and I bet you can fabricate something very similar.

I will check them out, thanks. All I like to shoot at home is steel.

NousDefionsDoc
08-20-2006, 07:59
NDD,

Next time you build a plate rack you might want to incorporate "random".

Bad guys do not line up "dress right dress".;)

TS
LOL - we can change it around.

And I tried to tell him, but he won't listen to me any more.