PDA

View Full Version : AD Deployment as an augmentee--

ESH
08-16-2006, 17:10
Am an 18D with 5/19 SFG, finishing the Q-Course in the next few months. As graduation approaches, I want to get all my ducks in a row so I can deploy already and do the job (3 years in training without a recycle...)

Am interested in deploying to Iraq or A-Stan with an Active Duty team as an augmentee, and am looking for info on the process. Any info regarding who to contact and what paperwork is needed would be appreciated.

Additionally, how does the order of merit list work for schools? Would like to try and get SOTIC or SFARTAEC before I deploy-- I know that slots are hard to come by, but its worth trying for considering the operational environment.

Spoke to my company's training NCO, and unfortunately didn't have any specific info regarding the above, and could't really talk when I called. Would wait until I get to my gaining unit, but as I said, I want to start finding out what is necessary before an opportunity is lost.

Thanks in advance for any info--

NousDefionsDoc
08-16-2006, 17:41
finishing the Q-Course in the next few months. As graduation approaches,
You are not an 18Anything with anybody if you haven't finished training.

You are in school now and I highly suggest you focus on finishing the task at hand before you start gazing up the road.

Asking about advanced skills before you even graduate? On this board? Bad form. I remember a time in 7th Group when a question like that would get one's rucksack slung down the hallway like it was shot out of a cannon.

You think you are so ready to be Special Forces Medic on an A-Team in a combat zone that you can afford to devote your time to other skill sets? Special Forces medicine IS an advanced skill - you think you've learned it and can move on? You want to go with a Team as an augmentee? You think they will take you because you went to SOTIC or because they need a Doc?

Perhaps your new Teammates would be better served by you making sure the Team's med package and you are GTG before you start worrying about other things.

I hope you graduate and I hope you get your wish and you get called. And I hope you do a good job for whoever you go with.

You should give thanks to the deity of your choosing that I am not your Team Sergeant.

ESH
08-16-2006, 18:23
Understood.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-16-2006, 18:27
You should give thanks to the deity of your choosing that I am not your Team Sergeant.

You should also be thankful that I am neither your Team Cdr, Company Cdr, Bn Cdr. There is no such thing as an augmentee-you are a team member or you are not a team member. I would no more stick a new guy in with a functioning team as anything, much less someone who apparently wants to be a glory hound just to be able to "deploy" with the big boys. This is not a game. If you want to go active duty then go active duty, if not return to your unit and become a member of that organization, get on a team, learn what it means to be a team member, learn the ropes of how that team functions, and prepare yourself to deploy because sooner or later you will.

I would no more send someone to an advanced skill program for anything unless he needed that skill to meet mission requirements. For every "badge" or ASI chaser out there, there is someone who is not getting a slot that needs to be filled for real. Worry about being the best damn 18D there is and if and when you need additional skill sets then if you are worth a damn and your chain of command feels you have to potential to benefit from the training and will be able to use those skills to benefit the team then you will get it.

7624U
08-16-2006, 18:27
Additionally, how does the order of merit list work for schools? Would like to try and get SOTIC or SFARTAEC before I deploy

Get to the back of the line:D

ESH
08-16-2006, 19:03
Originally sent a response to NousDefionsDoc, but as this has gotten the attention of others, allow me to clarify on the thread.

Am not a "glory hound" or a badge/skill chaser, and did not intend to come off as wanting to be hot s*#t out of the gate. As a new servicemember, I have a big weight on my chest as far as bringing something to the table, whomever I serve with. It is a sincere concern and one that I take seriously. The two aforementioned schools have been given to guys I am with now...."newbies" prior to arriving to AD groups. The utility of these schools have been mentioned by CADRE on numerous occasions, and is the only reason I inquired about them.

As far as the "augmentee" question; my guard unit has already lost a number of soldiers to active duty and during a quick phone conversation said that it probably would not sign off on me going active duty. Am surprised my desire to deploy would incur such animosity.

Will focus soley on the task in front of me--

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-16-2006, 19:13
Just disregard, I obviously am wasting your time and mine.

NousDefionsDoc
08-16-2006, 19:15
+1

ESH
08-16-2006, 19:37
Sir, I absolutely understand your and NDD's replies and appreciate them.

Didn't mean to sound confrontational or argumentative, was simply caught off guard by the "gloryhound" comment. Will concentrate on my MOS and learning the basics first, and drive on...

v/r
ESH

lksteve
08-16-2006, 20:03
the hole's deep enough...put down the shovel...

Eagle5US
08-16-2006, 20:13
Sir, I absolutely understand your and NDD's replies and appreciate them.

v/r
ESH
Obviously you didn't / don't understand their comments.
Realize this...
IF you graduate, you will be a cherry team medic. With any luck, you will be a junior medic and have a senior you can LEARN MEDICINE from. You have the minimum book smarts required to graduate that phase of the course.

Other courses can indeed by useful-but let me tell you a short story of a guy fdrom an NG gropup that came to my team as an 18D for a real world deployment. Real mission, real bad guys, real bullets in a really bad place on a continent not far from here.
He was schooled out...18D, E, C, SOTIC, MFF, Door Kicking, INTAC, he had a list a mile long. Team time-6 weeks total in between schools. deployments-ZERO. My team SGT looked at his "resume", and listened to his school list, and said...one word...CHERRY
First engagement, first casualties, guy couldn't perform and was sent packing never to be seen again in our AO.
Schools mean dick. Stay focused at the task at hand. Learn medicine. Everything else is gravy.

Eagle

MtnGoat
08-17-2006, 10:01
the hole's deep enough...put down the shovel...
+1

x SF med
08-17-2006, 10:25
ESH-

****RANT ON****

NDD is an 18D, TS is an 18D (and more), before I became an 18D I was an 18B.

You are still in the Course - focus on that.

When / If you get to a Team, you are an FNG (did it twice) and are expected to have the rudiments of your MOS already, fine-tune them under the tutelage of the Sr. Team member of that MOS, and cross train in other MOS's, in other words become a functioning Team member and learn, learn, learn - coming out of the Q you know enough to be dangerous to yourself and others if you have no SA and think you know anything other than what you learned at the Q.

Upon arrival at a Team - you will be lower than the lowest layer of whale shit in the deepest part of the ocean, and will go lower if you come across as a know-it-all or wannabe superhero. Think about it, most Heroes are dead by the time they become Heroes, with a few notable exceptions - and even those guys chalk that up to luck, which is a fickle misttress.

Team Daddy is GOD and the hierarchy after that is determined by him and the consensus of the Team, you will be an unknown quantity of unknown quality, and disposable (even as an 18D if you make it) until you show you are a Team member and valuable. Earn the schools you want to go to by first becoming a productive, functioning and valuable asset to your brothers on the Team, if you deserve the schools, you'll get them.

****RANT OVER****

Eagle5US
08-17-2006, 11:06
ESH-

NDD is an 18D, TS is an 18D (and more), before I became an 18D I was an 18B.

Hey look ma...I'm FINALLY invisable:D

You owe me beers :cool:

Eagle

x SF med
08-17-2006, 11:13
Hey look ma...I'm FINALLY invisable:D

You owe me beers :cool:

Eagle

I apologize for overlooking you - but you're at Ft Lost in the Woods, when you come to NY/NJ - pm me, and I'll buy you beers.

BamBam
08-17-2006, 13:40
As an old retired guy.................a Team Sergeant..............I like ambition, but you haven't been to the store long enough to buy anything, much less have the creds to buy it. TEAM, TEAM, TEAM, not ME, ME, ME. Take the assignment to a TEAM, contribute to the TEAM, build your skills to benifit the TEAM. You will be amazed at what might come your way. Notice TEAM does not contain the letter "I" . Now move out and draw fire.

Eagle5US
08-17-2006, 18:01
I apologize for overlooking you - but you're at Ft Lost in the Woods, when you come to NY/NJ - pm me, and I'll buy you beers.
Brother-just tickling that last rib a little.
I WILL however take those beers:D

Eagle

x SF med
08-17-2006, 18:26
Brother-just tickling that last rib a little.
I WILL however take those beers:D

Eagle

You better not drink Coors Light or Bud light or Miller light - that's sacrilege when I'm buying - in my book any beer that lets light through is light beer.

If you are going to be in the area pm me and I'll ice down a few. Can't let a brother D go thirsty, that would be just leg-like.

Warrior-Mentor
08-18-2006, 20:06
Am an 18D with 5/19 SFG, finishing the Q-Course in the next few months. As graduation approaches, I want to get all my ducks in a row so I can deploy already and do the job (3 years in training without a recycle...)

Although harsh, NDD nailed it. You're in training to be an 18D. Good luck finishing a touh course. Stay focused until you complete it. Assume nothing.

Am interested in deploying to Iraq or A-Stan with an Active Duty team as an augmentee, and am looking for info on the process. Any info regarding who to contact and what paperwork is needed would be appreciated.

I applaud your desire to get into the fight.

Additionally, how does the order of merit list work for schools? Would like to try and get SOTIC or SFARTAEC before I deploy-- I know that slots are hard to come by, but its worth trying for considering the operational environment.

Usually, it's the unit SGM who runs it with input from the Team Sergeants. Both are good schools and def battle focused. You're not the only SF guy who wants the schools before deploying... When I was coming through the pipeline, I was also under the misperception that after graduation from the SFQC, the door to all schools would be open. Perhaps if you stick around long enough, but the focus o schools distro is what your team needs to accomplish their mission. If you need the skills, your unit will send you at first available opportunity.

Spoke to my company's training NCO, and unfortunately didn't have any specific info regarding the above, and could't really talk when I called. Would wait until I get to my gaining unit, but as I said, I want to start finding out what is necessary before an opportunity is lost.

You won't.

No problem.

18C4V
08-19-2006, 13:17
5/19th is DTA with 1st SFG. That means that if 1st Group needs bodies then a list would come out asking for volunteers. It's up to your chain of command to release you. FYI, my company gave up guys for 1st Groups 1st and 2nd rotation for OEF/OIF.

As for advanced schools, its managed my the Company SGM with a OML. Usually SOTIC is for Bravo's and charlies. Which means like 7624U said " get to the back of the line"

As for other bns with 19th. One just came back from OIF and the other is going downrange so you just might get lucky. Don't worry there's plenty of JCETS and JCS's coming up so you can learn how to be a team guy in your team then you can deploy down range with your team instead of being a straphanger.

helicom6
09-05-2006, 10:31
This post and it's replies are great. It shows the eagerness of young men willing to get in the battle and it shows the wisdom of (careful here) the older guys/ experienced, ability to provide the proper wisdom to all FNG's. I know I will hold this as important information. It is difficult to think, "Shit, I did all this training....what are we waiting for?" There is more to training than just learning the books. Men on a team need to take the time to get to know eachother, learn what eachother's weaknesses and strengths are. Learn the enviroment in which you are working, learn sacrifice for yourself and for them; this is a whole different group of people than who you went to school with. Shed some sweat and tears with them, let them learn about you. As it has been said, you will get your chance. Remember the struggle that Anikin Skywalker went through with Obi-One? Look what happened to him. Don't know if you read the Bible, how long did it take David to become King? Read about the trials he had to go through. God made him ready when it was right. Until that time, he prepared him and prepared him.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!