PDA

View Full Version : Rope Climbing

Big_King
03-30-2004, 18:29
I've read a number of posts here and elsewhere regarding rope climbing in general but I haven't turned up much about the specifics. Before I set up a huge forearm-burning rope in my yard, i'd like to know if there is any standard diameter used for climbing ropes? How many knots are used (if any) and where about in the rope are they placed? In preparing and conditioning for selection is it better to use a thicker rope than narrower? I'd check the o-course my unit uses but it's an hour away from here. I'd appreciate any help, Thanks in advance gents.

If anyone is wondering about rope climbing techniques, peep dis:

http://girevikmagazine.com/Girevik/Second/articleropeclimbing.htm

The Reaper
03-30-2004, 19:51
Not sure what the Canadian Forces rope climbing requirement is.

TR

Big_King
03-30-2004, 20:41
Requirement?! :D I haven't heard of one other than the "here's a rope, here's how you're supposed to climb it" I got on basic (we weren't allowed to climb it at the time because a candidate had fallen and broken his neck the year earlier). I was told though that it's recommended for candidates prior to our selection. If i'm nit picking with this then feel free to call me on it, i just wanted to cover all bases before I set this jobby up.

Desert Fox
03-31-2004, 20:21
Originally posted by Big_King
Requirement?! :D I haven't heard of one other than the "here's a rope, here's how you're supposed to climb it" I got on basic (we weren't allowed to climb it at the time because a candidate had fallen and broken his neck the year earlier). I was told though that it's recommended for candidates prior to our selection. If i'm nit picking with this then feel free to call me on it, i just wanted to cover all bases before I set this jobby up.

Hi!
Obviously you want to join the JTF-2, which is the canadian SF. I HEARD there is no knots, and be prepare not just climb but also traverse, fast descent, and many different things.Youll need to adapt.

DanUCSB
04-01-2004, 01:38
I can't tell you about the Canadian military (being an American), but to answer your questions specifically: all the climbing ropes I've ever seen have been about 1 1/2 in to 2in in diameter and hemp. I've never seen a rope for men that had knots in it... which is irrelevent anyways, because if you've got good technique, knots would do more to get in the way than to help. The narrower the rope, generally, the more difficult it is to climb, eventually to the point of impossibility.

I like ropework. In my experience, it's simple but makes you grab your nuts in a way that no other PT does. And if your particular rope isn't high enough to give you a challenge? You can always go up and down it without touching the ground, to the limits of your strength.

--Dan

Big_King
04-01-2004, 09:21
Dan,
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure about the knot business because the last time i ever really looked at a climbing rope was a while back in high school. With todays high school populations i can understand using knots though. Maybe they've upgraded to using a stair case or better yet an escalater with a red ribbon at the top. :D