PDA

View Full Version : Kidnapping in Baghdad - Advice Request

jfhiller
08-10-2006, 11:11
Gentlemen,

I am reluctant to start a new thread for fear of missteps, but in the circumstances, I feel that I must.

I have a very close friend who was born Iraqi (raised in London and Kansas) and is now an American citizen. However, he still has family in Baghdad. Recently, his uncle was kidnapped and held for ransom. They paid the ransom and he was returned. Then, just two days ago, his aunt was kidnapped and the kidnappers have demanded a ransom that is impossible to pay. She has an 18-month old baby who is still breast-feeding. Obviously, the family is utterly distraught and doesn't know what to do or where to turn.

I understand that the wisdom of paying the first ransom may be questionable, but it is a moot point now.

I am writing to ask if any of you has advice for them or knows of someone they can contact in Iraq to help. I know it may be a long shot and I have no right to trouble you with this, but any advice or other help would be extremely appreciated. I have also emailed a good friend who is an Army Lt. in Baghdad now with the same request.

With respect and gratitude,
jfhiller

edited to add:
I made my best guess on which forum to post in. If it is incorrectly placed, I welcome correction and/or moving the thread.

Team Sergeant
08-10-2006, 12:40
A good place to start is with the Iraqi government. Then he might try the US State Department, it their job to conduct business with foreign nations on behalf of the United States.

I would also inform your friend that he needs to realize that this is exactly how terrorists conduct business transactions "all over the world" and to pay them any ransom not only encourages this type of activity but also expands their worldwide ring of terror.

If your friend speaks Arabic he may want to join the fight with the US military and put a real hurt on those that perpetrate these acts of terror against his family.

Or, of course, he can sit back safe in the knowledge that as a citizen of the United States he will be protected by the United States and its military and just complain about his homeland and its degraded moral state while others fight and die attempting to free the Iraqi people from internal Oppression.

I know how your friend must feel, I also have family in Iraq, they are all the members of the United States military.

Once the country of Iraq is stable and every US Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman and Coast Guard, and all the other coalition forces risking their lives on a daily basis have returned home I promise to personally look into your friend’s problem.

De Oppresso Liber,

Team Sergeant

jfhiller
08-10-2006, 13:39
A good place to start is with the Iraqi government. Then he might try the US State Department, it their job to conduct business with foreign nations on behalf of the United States.

I would also inform your friend that he needs to realize that this is exactly how terrorists conduct business transactions "all over the world" and to pay them any ransom not only encourages this type of activity but also expands their worldwide ring of terror.

If your friend speaks Arabic he may want to join the fight with the US military and put a real hurt on those that perpetrate these acts of terror against his family.

Or, of course, he can sit back safe in the knowledge that as a citizen of the United States he will be protected by the United States and its military and just complain about his homeland and its degraded moral state while others fight and die attempting to free the Iraqi people from internal Oppression.

I know how your friend must feel, I also have family in Iraq, they are all the members of the United States military.

Once the country of Iraq is stable and every US Soldier, Sailor, Marine, Airman and Coast Guard, and all the other coalition forces risking their lives on a daily basis have returned home I promise to personally look into your friend’s problem.

De Oppresso Liber,

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I'm sorry if I have offended or annoyed you. I absolutely understand that your primary concern is with the well-being of American citizens, especially your brothers in arms. I would not ask for or expect anything different.

Regarding my friend, he has lived in the US for most of his life and he is very proud to be a citizen. He loves this country and does NOT complain about or otherwise badmouth the US. He is fluent in Arabic and I have encouraged him several times to consider service in the military or other government intelligence areas. He has not yet chosen to do so. Perhaps this event will push him in that direction.

As far as the ransom goes, he didn't have anything to do with the payment and I didn't find out about the situation until it was already done. I am not especially well-versed in these circumstances, but I know enough to realize that was probably a very bad idea and would have cautioned them against it.

With respect,
jfhiller

Team Sergeant
08-10-2006, 14:21
You do not annoy me, your friend does.

My primary concern does not lie with the safety of American citizens but with the US military members that ensure their freedoms on a daily basis.

Tell your friend to call the local FBI office, tell him to say he is a fluent Arabic speaker and as an American citizen, would like to help with the GWOT. Once he’s working with the FBI maybe they can help him out with his family’s current situation.

One does not have to be a combatant to assist in the effort.

Thats my advice.

TS

jfhiller
08-10-2006, 14:29
Yes, sir. I will do that. Thank you again for your responses.

CoLawman
08-10-2006, 14:31
You do not annoy me, your friend does.

My primary concern does not lie with the safety of American citizens but with the US military members that ensure their freedoms on a daily basis.

Tell your friend to call the local FBI office, tell him to say he is a fluent Arabic speaker and as an American citizen, would like to help with the GWOT. Once he’s working with the FBI maybe they can help him out with his family’s current situation.

One does not have to be a combatant to assist in the effort.

Thats my advice.

TS

Sage advice. I might humbly add that ATF and ICE would also be willing to entertain his employment. Like TS said he has other options besides military service.