PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone Language Training

Neo
08-09-2006, 06:35
Has anyone used or heard reviews of the Rosetta Stone Language Learning software? I have been looking at either learning Arabic or Farsi. My university doesn't offer these languages and I want to attempt to have a good grasp on one of them before I graduate. It's cheaper than paying for college credits, but does it work?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Slantwire
08-09-2006, 06:57
Search button (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=327717) is your friend.

Neo
08-09-2006, 07:38
Crap! My SA is horrible.
Thanks for the direction.

P.S. I didn't see anyting in the seach on Farsi. Does anyone have experience on learning Farsi through Rosetta Stone?

Kyobanim
08-09-2006, 11:38
I've been using RS to learn Korean. You will get out of it what you put into it. Some people learn better in a classroom setting, some don't. Only you can judge what you will be.

Personally, I think it's okay but I think I would like to have someone who is fluent in the language there as a mentor.

Neo
08-09-2006, 12:30
Thanks for the help!

Invictus
08-09-2006, 12:51
You can get a free demo here:

http://www.rosettastone.com/en/individuals/flash-demo-form

I thought it was pretty good. A bit expensive though.

Hope this helps :)

vsvo
08-09-2006, 13:21
We're currently using RS to learn basic Italian. I agree with Kyo, you get out what you put in. RS employs an interesting learning paradigm, by modeling the way we actually learn language and walking a student through the process. Since it is immersion, it was intimidating to start at first. We just sort of took a leap of faith and dived right in, but the program does make it easy and fun to do so.

Based on the years of language classes I took in high school and college, I still think it would be better to have a live instructor guide the student through the material. Current domestic arrangements somewhat preclude the utilization of a long hair dictionary, but I am augmenting RS with the Berlitz printed materials for more structure with things like grammar, etc. As some folks have commented in the other RS threads, it is easy to start gaming the program to figure out the right answers by identifying patterns and matching pictures to certain words. Or maybe that's what you're supposed to do, I don't know. Although expensive, I think it's been worth it so far.

jatx
08-09-2006, 13:24
Try the summer immersion program in Farsi at UT Austin. From what I hear, they offer the best instruction in the US at the moment.

skipjack
08-10-2006, 16:36
I have used it for the past year and now I am using it in the Q course and so far, I'm not too impressed with it. Yes, it does work to remember vocab words (there are some I probably will not forget because of the program), but for grammar and speaking there is nothing better than a teacher. I feel that you need to have someone there to speak with and help correct your mistakes. Just my .02!

-skipjack

Logan
08-14-2006, 15:09
I ran the language lab at 5th Group for a few years and we purchased a lot of Rosetta Stone CDs and set them up on computers for Team Members to study when they had a few spare hours. You cannot learn to communicate in a new language using the Rosetta Stone CDs alone. If you have had prior training or attend training part time the Rosetta Stone will help you with vocab and some limited phrases. ITs a good tool in a larger program but again ...nothing will replace a native speaker working with you. I would recommend it as an introduction before attending formal training as a way to get the ear in tune with the language and perhaps learn a few words.

SnafuRacer
08-14-2006, 22:08
I have all the language CDs at home. I used to teach Arabic at Berlitz.
I tried it myself for Arabic and French. I was not very impressed with it.
I even tried 2 languages that I don't know (Russian and Latin) to see how I'd fare as a total beginner, and the approach left me cold.
I personally prefer structured classroom instruction for the basic and intermediate phase, while perhaps utilizing these CD for after-classroom reinforcement.