Guy
03-30-2004, 12:14
This is not one of them.

Guy
03-30-2004, 12:16
I guess not.

Guy
03-30-2004, 12:17
I wonder if they acquired them as infants?

Guy
03-30-2004, 12:21
LMAO!

Air.177
03-30-2004, 12:22
Having read quite a few of the old books about African hunting, I think that those may require a little more persuasion than a muzzle strike to the back of the head.

NousDefionsDoc
03-30-2004, 14:18
I want to know how many of them it takes to get that muzzle on and how they do it. Must be a helluva rodeo.

Guy
03-30-2004, 14:42
Imagine what it cost to feed that thing...then again. The way hack each other up, shouldn't be to hard to get a human leg or arm from somewhere.:eek:

Air.177
03-30-2004, 14:45
It shouldn't be too expensive, just let them loose in town to feed on the sick or starving, and they take care of the rest.

D9 (RIP)
03-30-2004, 16:55
I had no idea those hyenas were so big. :eek:

I saw one of those Lions vs. Hyena shows on Discovery Channel once, where they were fighting over a kill and it was pretty evenly matched (like 10 lionesses to 20 hyenas). There was a lot of posturing, as the lionesses tried to scare off the hyenas and they tried to intimidate the lionesses. The fight went on for a while, and one of the lions was critically wounded.

Suddenly, all the lionesses just ran like hell, and all these hyenas were standing around looking like champs. Then, out of the bushes, a single male lion came up. Within seconds, he had killed two of the hyenas and was moving towards a third one. Despite the fact that he was outnumbered like 18-1, the hyenas wanted no part of him. They ran like hell, and the male lion was left alone with the carcass of the buffalo (or whatever it was).

They explained that the male lion has so much testoterone, that when he gets pissed he will kill any and everything in his AO until he is, himself dead. That's why the female lions took off, they knew the cavalry was coming.

The other striking part was that the male lion didn't roar or posture at all. He just ran silently up and started killing things. It was a pretty impressive show, made even more so by seeing the size of that hyena in the above picture.

Guy
03-30-2004, 18:11
D9,

I've seen that same show several times. Every time that male lion came into the scene. The hyenas and lioness would scatter to the four winds.

The male lion would only kill the lead hyena...never eating it! Just straight out kill it!

GackMan
03-31-2004, 00:03
Hmmm... I've been all over purina.com and I can't find any Hyena Chow.

Radar Rider
03-31-2004, 00:27
Hyenas vs Leopards. Who will win? Not the Hyenas, wearing muzzles. Could be a weird fight, though. :eek:

Solid
03-31-2004, 04:59
I believe that Hyenas like kids and carcasses.

What's everyone's favorite non-human predator, big or small?

Solid

eyes
03-31-2004, 08:13

Kyobanim
03-31-2004, 08:17
My mother-in-law

crew341
03-31-2004, 08:34
Here is a great video, alittle long but definitely worth a watch. The last 30 seconds is the best part!

http://www.unf.edu/~demm0006/lion-hyena-war.wmv

Sigi
03-31-2004, 09:54
Nice video. I liked the chase at the end.

Nice description, D9. I'd like to see that.

The only program better than Lions is that of Army Special Forces.:D

Guy
03-31-2004, 10:18
Originally posted by crew341
Here is a great video, alittle long but definitely worth a watch. The last 30 seconds is the best part!

http://www.unf.edu/~demm0006/lion-hyena-war.wmv

If you get a chance to watch the entire episode. The male lion only kills the leader of pack...which happens to be a female. :D

Solid
03-31-2004, 12:04
I prefer Tigers to Lions, they look more sly.
A friend of mine kept a baby tiger when he was young.. cutest thing ever, very docile. Apparently not so much anymore, however, he's now at a wildlife reserve.

It's very frustrating- here in England we get three kinds of military shows on Discovery etc-
1. Military History. Great stuff, unless it's a re-run. It really helps with the understanding of large scale manuevers to have things illustrated on a map.
2. SAS and British SOF shows. Very generalised, great 'fear and awe' propoganda for the units. However, there is an over-reliance on Stone, Chris Ryan, and a scotsman who's name I've forgotten.
3. The Special Forces 'reinactment' shows. These are the lowest of the low. Ape-a-like 'actors' march around in BDUs with inappropriate weapons, looking at everything suspiciously and addressing themselves as 'gentlemen' during all meetings. Pure hollywood visual masturbation.

I've seen ONE show on A-Stan USSF and the Navy SEALs which was of high quality. Nothing else comes close. This paucity of good shows means that I rarely watch anything other than CNN.

There was, however, a great show on the Road to Baghdad, 2 part series with 3d reinactments and lots of interviews. It seemed accurate and professional.

Solid

BadMuther
04-01-2004, 10:23
Pics like that is why I couldn't be SF......I'd "Liberate the Oppressed" animals and prolly turn their "handlers" into lunch.....:p

GackMan
04-01-2004, 12:15
Originally posted by Solid
What's everyone's favorite non-human predator, big or small?

Polar Bear - Ursus Maritimus

One of the only predators that will actively and consistently track and hunt a human.

Scary shit when you are hunting a bear and realize that it has circled around and is tracking you.

Solid
04-01-2004, 12:26
Polar Bear is a great choice! I know I certainly didn't expect it. Why do Polar Bears hunt humans? Aren't we a waste of energy considering that we're more bone than fat?

Solid

D9 (RIP)
04-01-2004, 15:25
The saltwater crocodile is no slouch as far as bad-ass animals goes:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/images/!cpor5.jpg

GackMan
04-01-2004, 18:23
Originally posted by Solid
Polar Bear is a great choice! I know I certainly didn't expect it. Why do Polar Bears hunt humans? Aren't we a waste of energy considering that we're more bone than fat?

Solid

because they have no predators.

they will hunt a human because they are there on the ice and they are a food source.

they are aswome. I've seen one pick up a scent from 50 miles away and track in a straight line across the ice to a garbage dump on the north slope of alaska.

Solid
04-02-2004, 06:40
I've heard of their mean hunting abilities on Discovery. I also watched one of them kill a seal, which was very impressive. Didn't take long at all, two or three swipes. I remember I was camping in Maine when some bears decided to sniff around. Fortunately, I was armed so I wasn't too worried, but it was still pretty unsettling. Big, big animals. I think these were Black bears.

Solid