PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio vs. XM Radio

Spartan359
08-02-2006, 17:14
I was wondering who here has XM and Sirius radio. I'm thinking about installing one of them in my truck. I did a search and found a few threads with info but it wasn't much. From what I read, QRQ said he had some problems with areas with alot of trees. I've compaired the two and it seems Sirius has more to offer than XM. I was also wondering if the weather plays an effect on the stream and if one comes in clearer than the other. Are there anyother factors that could hamper the signal?

Poolshark
08-02-2006, 17:49
I have had both Sirius and XM radio at one time. Depending on what you like, Sirius is a whole lot better than XM for music and news. XM has more radio stations that are syndicated from across the country. Sirius has Howard Stern (not my favorite), and Bubba The Love Sponge. Hes from Tampa, Florida so he is the reason I bought Sirius.

His show is an adult skewed talk show, that I have listened to since I was 12 (20 now). I know I wasn't supposed to, but I did.

If you are listening at home, Sirius has an online function so you don't have to worry about signal strength. I live in an apartment complex surrounded by enormous trees and I get a fairly good signal on the "boombox". Car signal is always good unless you take your vehicle through a large tunnel or something of that sort.

The equipment you buy is fairly equal in price between the two companies, so neither has an advantage there. I, personally, like the S50 from Sirius, its a hand-held radio/mp3 player that stores up to 50 hours of radio that you can listen to at any time you want.

All in all, I think Sirius would be the way to go.

Hope I could be of some help to you.

Poolshark

CPTAUSRET
08-02-2006, 18:24
I just purchased XM to put in my Vette, don't care a crap about Howard S, what I liked was the old time radio from the 30's, and 40's.

mffjm8509
08-02-2006, 19:05
I've got XM in both my trucks and an XM portable reciever+mp3 player. I've never listened to Sirius.

Its like most things today. Cell phones, high-speed internet.....once you've got one you wonder how you lived without them.

It sure makes cross country trips nice. No more chasing the fm dial for channels.

mp

MtnGoat
08-02-2006, 20:28
I have had both Sirius and XM radio at one time. Depending on what you like, Sirius is a whole lot better than XM for music and news. XM has more radio stations that are syndicated from across the country. Sirius has Howard Stern (not my favorite), and Bubba The Love Sponge. Hes from Tampa, Florida so he is the reason I bought Sirius.
Poolshark
I have XM, great!! Love it for the music and TV talk shows. FOX News ETC.

I'm quoting Poolshark, becuz XM too has the online radio. AOHELL even has it on their toolbar if I remember right.

I got hooked to XM because of a co-worker using the online radio at work. Gov't Coputer systems too.

With all SAT radio systems; clouds, trees, Tunnel, overpasses. etc will make you lose the signal during your drive. If you have a home SAT TV system, u'll know what I'm talking about.

The Reaper
08-02-2006, 21:55
I have XM and like it as well.

No need for juvenile DJs pulling childish HS pranks and using using bad language on my radio.

XM appears to be slightly more financially stable as well.

TR

jasonglh
08-02-2006, 22:19
I have XM and like it as well.

No need for juvenile DJs pulling childish HS pranks and using using bad language on my radio.

XM appears to be slightly more financially stable as well.

TR

Those are the reasons I chose XM as well I didnt want to buy a receiver just to watch the company go away next year and I despise the local dj's here.

Although it does now seem the market is big enough for the 2 companies.

I have XM in both of my cars but opted for the Pioneer trunk unit that works through my cd player. I may add XM to my boat next summer as well because the radio selection and reception at Kentucky lake is really bad.

Spartan359
08-02-2006, 22:21
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. It seems the general consensus is that XM is the way to go. I'm gonna stop by Best Buy this weekend and toy with both of them.

18xPoolshark- Bubba the Love Sponge is local. :D

kgoerz
08-02-2006, 22:25
I have the XM Portable version, which easily mounts on the dashboard for your car use or place it next to your home Stereo for the House. Everything you need is included in the kit, no having to buy add on components. I will never go back to regular Radio. Love the Comedy channels and news talk. Doesn't work overseas yet so not good for deploying. Anyone know if they are working on being able to use them out of the United States. I thought it would work overseas just like Sat TV. You can listen online with a subscription overseas. but no luck there. It's $110.00 for one year subscription.

Poolshark
08-03-2006, 05:59
I have also been hearing things about Sirius looking into buying XM. I don't know how far along, or even if it is planned. XM is not doing so well financially, Sirius has just royally taken over the market since Howrd Stern came around. Sirius subscribers have passed 4 million from about 1 million since he came on.

I didn't know XM had the online thing too, it's a fantastic feature when you work on a computer all day. I never found more than 1 or 2 stations on XM that I could enjoy, while I listen to at least 10 different channels on Sirius.

Really it depends on what your tastes are for music and talk radio. I have always listened to Bubba so it was a no-brainer for me.

x SF med
08-03-2006, 06:29
what I liked was the old time radio from the 30's, and 40's.

You aren't that old - or have you forgotten that? :rolleyes:

Hiclaude
08-03-2006, 20:36
Found this info on XM's website. May also help. Didn't look at Sirius' website, but I'm sure it has a bunch of reasons why you should choose them instead.

http://www.xmradio.com/learn/programming_xm_vs_sirius.jsp

JMI
08-03-2006, 22:06
I have Sirius and all I listen to is talk radio and Sirius NFL.

I swear I rarely listen to the Playboy station.

Honestly, Sirius is going to buy XM. The fact that Stern has increased membership in 2006 superior to XM for the same time period (XM has the larger membership) indicates that these two will not be competing for long.

But I say to each his own. XM bored the crap out of me, but then again I am not into the subscription for music, I am in it for talk radio.

Enjoy!

jasonglh
08-04-2006, 00:11
I'm a little puzzled by how Sirius is going to buy XM in the near term? Just a quick look over of both companies financials available online would indicate Sirius does not have that kind of cash.

Its kind of like competing cell phone service really though they both do the same thing yet offer different bells and whistles to lure customers.

Patriot
08-07-2006, 10:34
I'm also in the market for Sirrius or XM. From what I've found, they are both great, go to edmunds.com and they have a side by side comparison and they give Sirrius a slight advantage.

But the differences have less to do with quality of signal or anything like that and more to do with the variety of programming.

TF Kilo
08-20-2006, 08:37
Don't bother if you're a canuck or in The Last Frontier... aka Alaska.

Unless you want to install an X-wing on your POV and a tacsat antenna on your house...

although, that would definately keep my neighbors out of my yard even more... as though they come over as it is. German shepherd in the front yard tends to keep people away.

dedeppm
08-21-2006, 00:08
XM is also contracted to carry all MLB and NHL games as well as NASCAR. Sirius Has the NFL and I am assuming the NBA. Just drove from San Diego back here to Cincinnati a week ago, and being able to listen to my Reds on XM was pretty nice. I guess that depending on which sports you prefer to listen to, that could impact your decision.

Air.177
08-22-2006, 09:48
In the past month I have driven/ridden Fort Worth to Houston and Back with Sirius, and then Fort Worth to Reno and Back and Fort Worth to Tulsa and Back with XM. I prefer the music played on Sirius to that played on XM. As a matter of fact, we are having the XM in the company van replaced with Sirius as soon as we can get it done.

Just my .02

Good times,
blake