PDA

View Full Version : Hoping 3rd time is a charm

funnyman
08-01-2006, 23:05
Hi.

I've been to SFAS twice. The first time I got injured and involuntarily withdrawn with 2 days left. I spent about 6 months recovering and tried again. Due to problems at home, I VW'd during my second visit (you don't know how much it hurts to admit that). That was 12 years ago, and EVERY day that has gone by since then I've regretted that decision. I'm older and much wiser now, and I'd like to try again. So I'm wondering if VWing will be held against me or completely disqualify me from attending SFAS again. Since I'd have major life-changes to do like divorce my wife, sell my house and put my business on hold before trying again, I'd like to know if I'm already a dead man.

Thanks for any input, and thanks for what you do.

The Reaper
08-01-2006, 23:12
Were you told that you were NTRed?

If not, and you meet the other requirements, you could possibly go back, but how old are you now, and do you really want to roll the dice hoping to make it after pulling the plug on your civilian life?

Are you talking going as an AD or RC soldier?

Sounds like extreme risk for a long shot to me.

TR

funnyman
08-02-2006, 07:36
Were you told that you were NTRed?

If not, and you meet the other requirements, you could possibly go back, but how old are you now, and do you really want to roll the dice hoping to make it after pulling the plug on your civilian life?

Are you talking going as an AD or RC soldier?

Sounds like extreme risk for a long shot to me.

TR

I remember the exit interview from the first time, but not the second. I don't remember being told NTR because that would've crushed me. Is there any way I can check?

I'm 38. I know that's old, but I remember a 40 y/o guy making it. I'm still in relatively good shape for a 38 y/o American man, and I know what it takes physically to make it. I'm willing to do it. I'd do some extensive train-up before signing up to make sure my body is up to it. Plus I think what's in my heart and mind is more important than my body.

I'd get back into the NG unit I was in.

You're exactly right. It seems like extreme risk - hopefully you only think it's a long shot because of my age. My marraige is on the rocks anyway. My business can wait. Because of my age, it's now or never. And I don't like the idea of going through the rest of my life knowing that I'll continue regretting it every single day. The time I spent on the training team was the absolute best time of my life.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

The Reaper
08-02-2006, 12:37
The real question is if you complete the training, and are 40 years old, how much team time do you think you will have left in you?

Not sure I would want to be the old guy slowing the rest of the team down.

Man has to know his limitations.

TR

funnyman
08-02-2006, 19:59
The real question is if you complete the training, and are 40 years old, how much team time do you think you will have left in you?

Not sure I would want to be the old guy slowing the rest of the team down.

Man has to know his limitations.

TR

Good point. However, I've seen a couple FOGs who could smoke the new guys.
If I didn't think I could keep up, I wouldn't jeopordize a team just to satisfy my individual desire to be SF. And I'm sure no team would let someone do that anyway ;)

Thank you for your input.

JLF
08-02-2006, 20:52
Funnyman,

For whatever this may be worth to you... I'm pulling for you. I love a good underdog and frankly, in spirit you sound of the stuff that makes up the individuals that are “SF.” It's always the beleaguered written off long shot that makes the biggest contribution through his blood, sweat and tears.

You've got a burning question in your past that burns in your mind like a splinter that will always remain; answer the question.

Remember, hope, and determination is not a course of action. It is an enabler that must be tempered with preparation.

Best of luck!

JLF

funnyman
08-02-2006, 21:44
Funnyman,

For whatever this may be worth to you... I'm pulling for you. I love a good underdog and frankly, in spirit you sound of the stuff that makes up the individuals that are “SF.” It's always the beleaguered written off long shot that makes the biggest contribution through his blood, sweat and tears.

You've got a burning question in your past that burns in your mind like a splinter that will always remain; answer the question.

Remember, hope, and determination is not a course of action. It is an enabler that must be tempered with preparation.

Best of luck!

JLF

JLF,

I appreciate your encouragement, though you're probably giving me a lot more credit than I deserve :)

I believe in God, and that he makes things happen for a reason. My VWing has been a bitter-sweet event. On one hand, it ended one of the best times of my life. Since then, I've never been around guys of that caliber in either civilian or non-SF life and I've never had so much fun and personal growth as I did then. On the other hand, I've been able to have a pretty good life as a civilian. Civilian life will always be there: there will always be a job I can take; there will always be a woman to marry; there will always be another house to buy. But there will never be another chance to get back something I lost that one fateful day.

Zorro_de_plato
08-08-2006, 12:25
Funnyman,

Hey brother. It sounds to me as though you've already made up your mind. No matter if people are for you, or against you, it sounds like you know the direction you wanna go. If being SF is your desire, Flippin' do it! When I passed selection there were a lot people that told me how much they wanted to go to Selection but they couldn't or wouldn't because of blah blah blah. If you wanna go, and you are able to, GO! If not, don't. It's that easy man. Your life is your life. Good luck to you brother. I'm sure you'll figure everything out.