PDA

View Full Version : To all the QP's, i ask you kindly to share your memories of year 1 on a team

doc22584
07-31-2006, 12:34
To all the QP's out there i ask you to reflect back to the years when you were the FNG on the team.

Thanks

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-31-2006, 13:28
To all the QP's out there i ask you to reflect back to the years when you were the FNG on the team.

Thanks

Damn son, I have problems reflecting on what I may or may not have had for breakfast and you want me to go back 38 years!

x SF med
07-31-2006, 14:57
I second COL Jack - and it's only been nearly 22 years for me - although I still remember Kevin McA - the Sr B (Actually he was an 11C... Heavy Weapons, I was an 11B, Light Weapons) - I still have nightmares.

doc22584 - you must have just gotten to a team, or are trying to prep while still in the course.

I don't think I'm going to say anymore- you are still in the course, once you graduate, you'll find out - It takes the 'initiation ceremony' before you get that kind of info.

The Reaper
07-31-2006, 15:09
For the first year, it was like drinking from a firehose.

Like the SWCS training never stopped, but with guys who were your friends, mentors, and peers for instructors, and with real consequences hanging in the balance.

You learned fast and worked hard, not for yourself, but because you didn't want to let any of these guys down.

And you need a pick-up truck, because of all the beer you will have to buy.;)

TR

doc22584
07-31-2006, 18:03
I second COL Jack - and it's only been nearly 22 years for me - although I still remember Kevin McA - the Sr B (Actually he was an 11C... Heavy Weapons, I was an 11B, Light Weapons) - I still have nightmares.

doc22584 - you must have just gotten to a team, or are trying to prep while still in the course.

I don't think I'm going to say anymore- you are still in the course, once you graduate, you'll find out - It takes the 'initiation ceremony' before you get that kind of info.

Im still in the course. Just figured id throw the topic out there and see what everyone had to say.

mffjm8509
07-31-2006, 18:44
but here are some milestones......

Day 1. Team Sergeant made me introduce and talk about myself for 5 minutes as soon as I walked into the Team Room........IN RUSSIAN!

Week 1. Built a pallet for the first time for deployment......"why are we taking skis to Turkey?"

Month 1. Deployed to Turkey/N. Iraq for 90 days for SAR/UW operations (lots of fast roping, range time, helo ops, rockstar stuff! :lifter )

Month 1. Breifed USASOC Commander and CSM on mission planning/live launch for SAR

Month 2. Assisted in the development/writing of 6 week SUT POI/MTP

Month 2. Assigned to brief all incoming USAF Aviators on USSF SAR procedures

Month 3. Spent Thanksgiving depoyed with ODA 056. Had Thanksgiving Dinner in the "GB Club FWD", Incirlik AFB. Shared a 1/2 Gallon of bourbon with good friends.

Month 4. Redeployment, 100% Inventory. (they dont teach you that at the 18C course)

Month 5. Decentralized Winter training. ( "if this were an SFAS event I would've quit" ....... me after completing a 35 mile xcountry ski movement, the first time I'd ever been on skis)

Month 6. Winter downhill training at Ski Sunlight...probably the best 2 weeks of my career to that point. One of our best kept secrets.

Month 7. HALO school at YPG

Month 8-10. SF ANCOC/OI course

Month 11. Demining mission into Bosnia-Herzegovina. The best month of my career up to that point.

Month 12. First year complete. By far the best year of my career to that point. I learned more about being an SF guy from my Team Sergeant and the other guys on my Team. Those are lessons I still draw from today. Friendships were forged that are as strong today as they were then.

I'd do that first year all over again!

lksteve
07-31-2006, 19:27
And you need a pick-up truck, because of all the beer you will have to buy.and if you are an engineer sergeant, you need to haul stuff you sto...obtained for the team...

i remember L1 through about L7...i remember (vividly) how much of a pain in the ass it was getting parachutes out of trees at Turner DZ...i remember there was no such thing as a Viking Dry Suit (Viking Damp Suit, yes,,,Dry Suit...nope) i remember being half-scared to death of screwing up an IV i was trying to run on the Detachment Commander...i had a team sergeant that never yelled, never seemed pissed and WAS NEVER SATISFIED...not with me, not with himself, not with anyone or anything...

and i remember the combinations of half the locks on mop lockers at Fort Devens...:D

the year i was a detachment XO was far, far worse...and a lot more fun (not to mention expensive...the XO is always buying the beer...)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-31-2006, 19:39
Okay, I'll play:D

It was the anniversary of my third year in the Army with six months time in grade as a CPT. I stepped off a Huey in the middle of the Central Highlands to take over A-246 in a place called Mang Buk, this was going to be the first of two A-Teams I was to command in Vietnam in one year. Each was going to be totally different and everything I knew was going to be put into play the first week on the ground. I learned more from those outstanding soldiers in my first month than I had learned from anyone or any other experience in my life up to that time. I cannot begin to even explain the awesome level of reponsiblity I felt having been given the command of a team with all that it entails and you know what my biggest fear was-letting any of these guys down in any way. The hardest thing for me to do was to not take out every patrol or participate in every recon. It took my Team Sergeant to grab me by the stacking swivel real hard one day to remind me that we all had a good working relationship and they did not want to have to break in another "new" guy after stuffing me in a body bag. I learned something new everyday where ever I was. I couldn't learn enough. I checked everything, fired everything, sent the daily sitrep, broke msgs, debred wounds. I stood back and let my NCOs do their jobs and had them teach me virtually everything about anything they could. We trained counterparts, worked with our indig, were indoctrinated into their tribes, participated in their ceremonies, we were not one of them but we were definitely part of them. The saddest day of this part of my first year on a team was leaving them because the Group Commander decided I needed to go straighten out another A-team because he was so impressed with my folks at Mang Buk. I told him that we were good because we were a team and if he really wanted me to straighten out another team he should allow me to take the team that we had built together. He said no, I said good bye, my wife didn't know I had been given another team until a heavy package came for her in the mail of Thai Bronze Ware that my team had sent someone to Thailand to buy for her as a thank you. So for the remainder of my first year I took command of A-244 in a place called Ben Het and that started off with me getting blown off the helipad the minute my feet hit the ground. This was a tough assignment for a different reason. While the Group Commander might think you are the team's saviour, a bunch of guys who were totally busted because of the death of one guy and the capture of another living in a hell hole are not likely to look upon you as anything other than just another officer who will probably also get relieved. This was one of those times when you just had to set the tone right off the bat, which I did that night by responding alone to a ground probe on one of our OPs by driving like a wild man up to the top of the OP, taking a 60 mm mortar away from the yard that was supposed to manning it and walking rounds down the gully where the intruders were making their probe. Came back to find a bunch of long faced folks wondering if I was nuts and it took about a week but things fell into place and the team came together. It was a different setting, with different challenges and different folks, but good soldiers all who were intially distrusting of officers in general. I continued my old ways of learning all I could, but this time I had many battles to fight with higher headquarters, my counterpart who was a NVA mole, the 4th Infantry Division who killed more of my folks then the NVA did, and that constant nagging fear of making sure that I did nothing that would let these guys down or get them killed. My year ended much the way as it started, with a Huey ride away from a bunch of guys that I knew were in harms way but now I could do nothing about it. A couple of months later tanks hit the camp, but were stopped by the mine field I had put in without permission. There was talk of courts-martial until the 5th Group realized that they had gotten credit for killing a PT-76 and no one wanted to admit that some no-necked CPT did not have persmission to do something that should have been authorized in the first place. Now I could fill in the blanks about both places, but that would take a novel that no one would really want to read and many would not understand because I am not skilled enough to paint the picture that pays the appropriate level of respect and honor I hold in my memories of some of the finest soldiers with whom I have ever served.

x SF med
07-31-2006, 21:16
COL Jack-
Drive on. No way I will even attempt to follow that up. Compared to what you did getting through your first year, my 1st yr was just minor fraternity hazing.

Firebeef
07-31-2006, 23:53
I'm sure men who reported to teams in the 60s and since '01 have (had) hairier experiences, but since we're on the subject, I'm willing to share.

Month 1. reported to Ft Carson, only thing was, 2nd BN was enroute from Devens. My Co was enroute from Incirlik, Turkey. They were just breaking ground on the Emerald City which would become 10th Gp, so spent a lot of time scrounging all kinds of stuff to make a home in WWII barracks. I had a SR Commo with me for 3 weeks.

Month 2. Went to Language Tng. Continued to scrounge, team began to come together. Became the SR Commo.

Month 3. Deployed to Germany with Team as a CLT (now LCE). Because of my language ability, I was tasked with liasing with the Division Staff officers of 5th Panzer Division...in German, only a few months out of the Q course.

Month 4. At the end of above exercise, our Team got to spend several weeks at Frasdorf house, climbing and mountaineering and really becoming a Team.

Month 5. Returned To Carson, scrounged more, team climbed Pikes Peak in the seasons first significant snowfall. Team: awesome!!, Pikes peak in the snow: sux!

Month 6. WET. Winter Environmental Training. Helena, MT and Bridgers Bowl MT. They really pay us to do this?!?!?

Month 7. Decentralized WET in Rimini, MT and then a BN FTX in Montana (see thread: WORST WET's) hard landings hurt, teams becoming brothers are priceless.

Month 8. Slovakian Fam tour to Carson. I'll bet they still use examples of our OPFUND as how NOT to do an OPFUND. (They told us to show them a good time, right??) Deployed to NWT, Canada (now Nunavut) to work backside for one of the most incredible FTXs I've ever been on. Kugluctuk, Yellowknife, Coppermine and riding a snowmobile on the Arctic Ocean at night. When they say Blizzard, u better find some shelter.

Month 9 & 10: Deployed to Rendina, Greece and trained with Greek SF. Opa! At end of deployment, my TM SGT and I were tasked to Site Survey Slovenian SF at Kocevska Reka, Slovenia fpr a follow on mission. Apparently they liked us as the Slovenians insisted we stay an additional 7 days. We were ready to come home, but diplomacy prevailed and we stayed another 7.

Months 11 & 12. Definetly slower pace; Language again!! Intensive planning began in earnest for future OPS. Ohh, and Jumpmaster School!!

Like mffjm, those guys are all still my brothers, and I'd relive that year again in a heartbeat.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-01-2006, 04:58
Month 4. At the end of above exercise, our Team got to spend several weeks at Frasdorf house, climbing and mountaineering and really becoming a Team..

I really liked Frasdorf. We used it a couple of times for training.

Razor
08-01-2006, 08:31
Now I could fill in the blanks about both places, but that would take a novel that no one would really want to read...

Sir, I have to respectfully and vehemently disagree.

x SF med
08-01-2006, 08:46
Sir, I have to respectfully and vehemently disagree.

+1

18C4V
08-01-2006, 09:21
Like the Reaper said it's like drinking from a firehose.

I signed in to my team as the senior 18C (no jr on team) two weeks after SERE. After two weeks of PMT, we were in A-stan in 2002. My jr 18C two months into our deployment came to our team just like I did, straight out of the Q. Lucky for us two cherries that our team sgt was a 18C who quickly reeled us in alot. I spent most of my first year in A-stan on two firebases and I went to SF ANCOC right after we came back.

Firebeef
08-01-2006, 09:42
I'd love to hear more of the good Colonels stories as well!!! (Frasdorf was an awesome place, Sir!) I'd love to hear some 1st year stories from the last 4 or 5 years as well. I'm sure they have a different perspective than the Cold war or 90s, but are essentially the same theme, drinking from a firehose, and knowing that becoming a member of an A team is probably the best expeience most men will ever know.

Sdiver
08-01-2006, 10:01
Now I could fill in the blanks about both places, but that would take a novel that no one would really want to read

Not true sir......

I WOULD !!!!!

and many would not understand because I am not skilled enough to paint the picture that pays the appropriate level of respect and honor I hold in my memories of some of the finest soldiers with whom I have ever served.

Sir,
No disrespect intended, but....

BRAVO SEIRRA on THAT !!!!

This "picture" you just sketched/painted, in your above post, is an excellent example of the "skill" that you have in painting that picture to those men that you served with.

I wish that you would put more thoughts down on paper/PS.com so that others may learn, as well.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-01-2006, 14:59
You know being a team leader you can really screw up a lot of things and decisions you make can have some really serious unintended consequences no matter how well you run them through your brain housing group. You not only have to do your thing with the team and fullfill your roles and responsibilities so that they can do their jobs but you can suddenly find yourself elevated to a level of uncomfortable importance because of actions that hold an unintended mystique over folks. As a result of series of ground attacks during the TET offensive in 68, I set up a village defense program for my out lying villages that would buy enough time for the villagers so that I could get a reaction force to them in time to beat down the attackers. It worked well, and we suddenly found ourselves as the problem solvers for anything and everything that could not be resolved before. In short we were looked to for minor miracles and folks started coming out of the jungle for treatment and providing intell of great value. The problem with that is, we could now not afford to fail at anything. Unfortunately I had one village 15 clicks north that was isolated from everyone else and while we could help them set up a program there was no way we could get to them in under 3 hours and that was pushing it through the rainforest. I was concerned about this village because I had heard rumors that the NVA had made contact with some of the folks surrounding the village and was looking to recruit some as guides. The village chief had heard about how we were able to help protect the villages close in to us and wanted to know why we could not do something for him. This was an opportunity to good to pass up, not only could we screw up the NVA's plans to recruit some of the northern folks but we could make inroads into this area and recruit more folks for our strikers. I had to work things out so that they would move their village closer to the A-camp so that I could use my "newly acquired" 105 mm howitzers. The problem with moving the camp was that it involved a human sacrifice of a child to appease the lightning god and was not really sure I wanted that on my conscience. So I called a meeting with the village chief and his cronies to discuss the matter. They arrived, we all sat down in appropriate garb around the ceremonial jug of rice wine and in lousy french, broken sedang, and one of my strikers as an interpreter I laid out a proposal. I asked them if I could allow them to see the area around their village at the darkest time of night would they agree to move the village closer to our camp so that I could support them with artillery fire until we could get ground troops up to help them. Also, would they do this without sacrificing a child. They agreed and I was on tap to do my magic that night. My weapons guys were out of camp, one on a search and destroy patrol and the other at the B-Team on a "midnight requisition mission". So I figured, what the hell this can't be too difficult(lesson number one for all 18Bs, never let your team leader play with your toys without supervision). It was simple trigonometery-max ordinance would be attained by placing the tube at 45 degrees elevation the shortest distance would be if the the gun--target line was dead on to the village. The round would never make it to the village because the range of the illumination round with the charges we had was only 11 clicks (lesson number two-officers might be college graduates but they sure as hell can be dumb asses when it comes to applying academic skills to real world situations) . I set the time on the fuze for the illumination rounds that I was going to use to illluminate the area, made commo with my team sergeant who was in the village with one of my medics and I jerked the lanyard and waited for a reply. I could see the round light up the sky and then the radio squelch broke. "Wicked Talons 6", said a shaken voice on the other end, "you need to shift that gun-target line to the right a couple of degrees. You almost took out the village chiefs hut." Well, hell, I had no idea that an illumination round had a solid metal plug that separated the parachute flare from the the explosive that expelled it from the cannister and neither did the damn MTT folks that gave us a quick run down on the guns. Seems that the metal plug continued along the gun-target line after expelling the illumination round and almost undid everything that I had worked out the day before.

JMI
08-01-2006, 18:32
:eek: Wow!! Great, great stories, gentlemen. Truly appreciated.

Colonel Moroney, Sir. You really need to write a book. I am sure we'd be more than grateful to proofread it for you right here on ps.com!

NSDQ
08-01-2006, 19:09
Colonel Moroney, Sir. You really need to write a book. I am sure we'd be more than grateful to proofread it for you right here on ps.com!

I would buy one or 2 or 3. It always makes the story believeable when the storyteller tells the truth as he saw it even when he does'nt appear in the most favorable light.
Hopefully we will see a book soon. Great Story Colonel.

NSDQ

uboat509
08-01-2006, 21:05
I would love to help you out but after reading what the Col. wrote I'm not even interested in reading about my first year on an ODA.

SFC W

CoLawman
08-01-2006, 22:36
Great Posts gentleman.......encore......bravo!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-02-2006, 08:05
To preclude this from becoming the “Jack Show”, I’d like to conclude my contribution to this thread with some observations for those who are getting ready to experience their first year on a team. The day you walk through that team room door your life as you knew it has changed for ever and how it will change is up to you. You are going to be measured and tested; if you are found able you will be molded and validated, if you are found wanting you will become history. What you do from your first day and everyday thereafter will follow you for however long your career in SF lasts. This is not an amorphous mass of Jell-O where you are going to be absorbed and lose your identity, quite the contrary your identity is just beginning to be built into something with which you are going to have to deal until you take off your ruck. There is no anonymity within this community, even among the black units into and out of which you may move on various assignments someone in the gaining unit will know you and everything about you. As you grow and mature your reputation will precede you and so will the perceptions about who you are and what you are likely to do. There are no second chances; there is only this one shot. Make it a good one and make it count. While the community is tight, it is also very unforgiving in those matters that reflect poorly on your ability to do your job to standard and function as a team member subjugating everything, and I mean everything, else to second place. You are walking into an OPTEMPO that we have not known since the 60s and you have to be a fully capable SF troop in a very target rich environment.

Also remember that the accounts that I shared with you are from a team leader’s perspective. Officers in SF are a different breed of folks and successful SF officers do not fit the cookie cutter standard of what most folks think of when they think of Officers. We are also sort of in a no man’s land on the team. The team sergeant runs the team while the officer commands it and does everything he can to enable the team to succeed by interceding with higher headquarters, civilians, host-national, and some of the dreaded US government agencies with single focus agendas. Consequently they are often considered outsiders by the Army in general, sometimes their headquarters if they appear to be getting “to close” to the team, and even by the team because they are normally the first to move on which can create great turmoil and real ‘baby sitting” challenges for the team sergeant when the new guy comes in who may be that cookie cutter model out of the Officer’s Guide. A SF Officer also faces some real professional and personal challenges when it comes to doing his job right or doing the right job. Officer’s may get selected for promotion by other officers but it is the SF soldiers in that officer’s unit that really determine if that officer attains that level of success worthy of moving on. So take what I have written from the limited context in which it was presented and remember that SF officers are only successful because of the caliber of the soldiers that they have been given the charge to lead.

Gypsy
08-02-2006, 17:54
To preclude this from becoming the “Jack Show”, I’d like to conclude my contribution to this thread with some observations for those who are getting ready to experience their first year on a team.

I hope you will reconsider at some point in the future, Sir....and that others will contribute as well.

Truly a great thread, and an honor to read the words of the Men who've defended our Country...past and present. My thanks.

lksteve
08-02-2006, 19:13
To preclude this from becoming the “Jack Show”, I’d like to conclude my contribution...hmmm....a thread called "The Jack Show..."
hmmm....i'll quit before i wind up in front of his desk in the leaning rest...:D

NousDefionsDoc
08-02-2006, 19:36
hmmm....a thread called "The Jack Show..."
hmmm....i'll quit before i wind up in front of his desk in the leaning rest...:D
SGM Jake trained The Colonel - I think the leaning rest might be the least of your worries...:)

Slantwire
08-03-2006, 06:03
SGM Jake trained The Colonel - I think the leaning rest might be the least of your worries...:)

The great Russian mountain?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-03-2006, 14:42
The great Russian mountain?

I know you meant Ukranian:D

BMT (RIP)
08-03-2006, 15:26
Our Tm:
Tm Sgt
Intel Sgt
Lt Wpns
Hvy Wpns

And we didn't do anything as a TM.

BMT

Slantwire
08-03-2006, 15:40
I know you meant Ukranian:D

My mistake, sir. I've only heard stories and have never met the man himself.

At least I knew not to label him a Soviet. I think he could be dead six years and still kill me if I said so, if the stories are half true.

Firebeef
08-04-2006, 04:19
To the kid, Doc22584 that started this thread and anyone else in the pipeline, wondering what life on an ODA will be like:

1. You only have one chance at a first impression.

2. You will only have 1 first year.

3. The Team will have it's own personality before you arrive, as do you. Each time a new member arrives, if you are to be succesful, you will to an extent, meld your personality and morph into the personality that is the team's. As time goes on, traits of you own personality, however slight will be manifested as part of the Team personality, and vice versa.

4. I arrived at home station, bag and baggage in a jock strap and a light coat of oil, ready for what they were gonna throw at me. 2 guys I had known all the way back from SFAS and AIMC landed in the same Company. The team I ended up on, luck o the draw, was a "go" team. Both of my classmates were smart, motivated guys. One of them, ETS'ed as soon as his time had been served. He left somewhat bitter and abused. The other one ended up on a Team that was doin some Experimental stuff.....I'm on the edge of an OPSEC violation, so leave it at that. None of the "FOGs" on that team were happy with their status as guinea pigs, and therefore my buddy, who had sat next to me all the way through AIMC, and is an excellent soldier and Green Beret, was pissed off on a pissed off Team. I don't believe his experience in his first year has a whole lot of positive superlatives he'd be willing to share.

5. If any of this above babble makes sense, or more importantly, if any of it doesn't, see lines 1 and 2 above, and that's how you should enter your first year on an ODA.

my .02 worth

Pete
08-04-2006, 05:08
3. The Team will have it's own personality before you arrive, as do you.

my .02 worth

For you guys in the pipeline and some just coming to your first team.

You will be all fired up and "Gungho" to do something while the team may seem to be a little less "Gungho". That is because what is new for you is "Old Hat" to them. They will know how to get the job done without burning a lot of excess energy.

But about "Go" Teams. Start to look at all the teams in the company. Who is picked to go off by themselves, who is used as fillers, who works with the B team alot. Just what is the team personality on those teams? Why are they used the way they are?

You may end up on a team that cools a lot of coffee but will you stay there or, through hard work, end up on a "Go" team? Can your team be turned into a "Go" team with a few nudges here and there? How well you work, how mature you act and how you conduct yourself well get around.

Good teams eyeball everybody in the general area as prospects. Good teams will also have the ear of the SGM. The SGM likes to make sure the proper sock is on the right foot, so to say, and the boot fits.

Pete

Who picked a few plumbs from sleepy teams more than once.

doc22584
08-04-2006, 13:47
I just want to say thank you to all the guys sharing there stories and giving out quality advice.

NousDefionsDoc
08-04-2006, 18:11
Try to keep up.

kgoerz
08-04-2006, 19:32
My first major deployment overseas was when I was in A-1-7SFG. We went to Panama for our Companies security rotation to augment 3rd bn. We just happen to be there when the invasion kicked off. What luck and a great early impression of my SF career. Later on in SF working as a RST our hotel didn't have HBO. But we toughed it out anyway.......

Richard
08-10-2006, 18:59
Year 1 in Group?

As a newly graduated Medic assigned to the 7th SFGA:

• SGM Dick Warren put my ass in the 7th SFG motor pool for 2 months to learn to maintain and repair vehicles (hated ‘breaking” M35 tires), pull DZ coverage with my temp “assigned” M151 ambulance, and learn that SF Medics (or any newbies) are lower than whale shit until they prove themselves worthy of acceptance by their team mates
• Trip with 2/5th SFG
• Mountain/ski training in Northern Arizona
• Trip to Latin America
• 2 months doing MEDCAP support (“Nation Building” for NHS) in rural NC
• Trip to Oro Grande/Lincoln National Forest for UWEx with Canadian 2 Cdo (English speaking) for aggressors and involuntarily reactivated IRRs for Gs
• Left for USASFT (3/1st SFGA) and JCRC (SFT-36 @ Nong Takoo and CtlTm-A @ NKP)

Richard

Viking
08-22-2006, 06:33
I showed up in Feb 03. I was in the SGM's office and he was deciding where to put me. My new Team Sergeant walked in and the SGM introduced us. His hair was wild and there was fire in his eyes. The next month was fast and furious. I lucked into a SOTAC (CAS) school slot because I was the only guy left one afternoon. We were preparing to deploy and everything was balls to the wall. New equipment was rolling in every day. We deployed to Afghanistan a month after I got here. My ODA had no officer's and my Team Sergeant was an E-7. We deployed with six guys and upon arrival in Kandahar we were part of a DA force for a few weeks. The order came to push to our firebase in the central part of Afghanistan and we loaded up all of our equipment and conducted a 15 hour drive over some of the planet's worst roads. I spent the next five months riding behind a .50 over those same roads. We lived in a small mud hut with a freezing cold shower and we loved it!!! There was much work to be done and we stayed busy hitting houses and conducting recons. Those were truly the days. My Team Sergeant was an unbelievable leader. He led from the front in everything we did. Our commo guys could make anything work, our engineer could build or destroy things with ease, our medic was always busy patching holes in people, and I try to learn everything I could. I tried to be a good sponge and soak it all up. Everthing I learned came in to play over the next two tours but that first year and deployment was incredible. The rest of my first year is a blur of redeployment, leave, ranges, and training for the next tour. Learn everything you can in SFQC but remember that it never stops. Every single day on an ODA is a learning experience.

Five-O
08-22-2006, 06:52
Print these memories out and take it to Barnes and Noble.

7624U
09-08-2006, 10:20
1st month:
Welcome to the team your the Sr Bravo our last Bravo got fired !
He's working in the Arm's Room go talk to him.
We Start ISO next week study these maps and come up with a
good infil route into Iraq.

2ed month:
ISO end's and we do mission prep, pack and long range commo
checks and weapons training along with NBC training.

3rd month:
Fly to Romainia wait for 3 weeks to get clearence to infil threw
turkey never happens....

4th month:
Screw our infil plan turkey wont let us use thier base so we fly
the UGLY BABY route. link up with our peshmerga G's

5th month:
Change of mission your going over to Cco they need Extra
Bravo's, Hope your up on your Mortar's your going to gun
the 81mm for the BN's main Attack on the Ansar Islam.
as im wondering who the hell are these guys. I jump
on the Dump truck we use for transportation to the
stageing area.

5th 1/2 :
Ok go back to your ODA they need help bad.
ODA glad your back We need to get these 120mm
Mortar's working So we can give them to the Peshmerga
to use. ok let me look ! Nice! 1950's US made 120mm tubes
on Trailors, Romanian Surplus Ammo with no fireing table's,
and Sovet Union Sight's that are Exactly backwards From ours
(when I say backwards I mean when you look at a US Sight
3200mil's will be the data for looking strait ahead at a target
and the tube should be on the same bore site. on soviet sights
the data reads 6400mil's when looking stait ahead.)

6th month: OIF1 is over.

7th month: Redeploy, go on leave, clean stuff.

8th month: Change of Command

9th month: Down Time and admin.

10th month: SFAUC

11th month: Pike's Peak Climb. team training

12th Month: Orders Come down for our Next Rotation to Iraq.

incommin
09-08-2006, 11:17
My first year started in B company/ 7th in 1967. All I can remember is sitting on the team house steps and watching senior NCO's do police call and trying to get used to that image.....supporting Gabrial Demonstration area, trying to learn Polish, inventorying a demo box and locker every Monday morning, supporting jumps by driving a deuce and a half and delivering used chutes to the hanging tower and repacking shed, pulling KP and thinking that E-5's in the rest of the Army were not doing it, reporting to the isolation building with all my "stuff" every five to six weeks, watching my buddies get orders for 5th Group and trying to figure why I wasn't.

Jim

deanwells
09-11-2006, 05:45
HMMMM.......

MONTH 1
Join the team on first day of mission train up. I felt like I skipped the fire hose and went straight to Niagara Falls. There was alot to learn and little time to learn it. all.:confused: On the other hand, I had a dive bubble already so I was welcomed and accepted. I met the TM SGT on Black Friday a couple of months before when I came out to help the pre-scubies learn their desired infil technique. I thought to myself this isn't so bad:cool:

MONTH 2-9
Deployed on a 7 month trip. I had a senior, so I got pretty damn lucky. He showed me all the things that you don't learn in the Q. He had a wealth of knowledge and experience. Who would have thought car batteries would be so helpful? Not me, but it is actually an old school technique that you can learn by asking the guys who have done it. My TM SGT was a stand up guy who pretty much knew a ton of good stuff in all of the teams sections. He squared each and every one of us cherries away with techniques that are proven but lost from intial entry level SOF schools (Q). He also kicked us in the mid-section with verbal corrections when we were out of line and drifting way left of our range span. The "NO-DISCUSSION RULE" was in effect on a regular basis. I didn't see it then, because I thought I knew a little something. As I look back now, I see that I knew squat. I'm glad that the TM SGT was that way, because I would have never learned the right and always would have went with the wrong. I will never forget the lessons I learned.

Month 10
I had the opportunity to be an assistant instructor in a PRE-SCUBA course that our team ran for the new batch of guys wanting to be divers. Instructor strength ROCKS!!!:lifter

MONTH 11-12
I went to a couple of schools that I will not name for obvious reasons.

All in all, my first year was rough but definitely worth it. I learned so much by listening. I learned that an experienced and stern leadership can and will make the difference in the minds of young and old troops who are just beginning this chosen profession and lifestyle.

To the new guys,

Know you SA. Keep your mouth closed and your ears open. Know your job, not just the things you learn in the school house, but also the things you won't learn unless you ask questions and use the search button on your internet explorer.

Oh YEAH and one more thing,
The experienced guys do not care about your Q course stories unless they ask you directly.

Good luck in your future endeavors

DOL

MAB32
09-12-2006, 13:55
Not to get off topic, but what incommin said has me curious. Does SF still do Gabrial Demo's?

NousDefionsDoc
09-12-2006, 14:42
Not to get off topic, but what incommin said has me curious. Does SF still do Gabrial Demo's?
Yes. Lately they have mostly been for AQ....;)

Noslack71
11-21-2006, 08:30
SGM Jake trained me and a couple of other fellows for a couple of weeks in the 81-82 time frame at Ft. Lewis. This lesson that still sticks, is the best use of a Rolex when one is being chased. I bought a Rolex shortly after SGM Jake's training and, have worn it ever since with that contingency in mind. Fortunately I have not had to put that bit of training to use nor, was I the one chosen to inform the "Ukranian Bear" what the height/weight standards were in the early 80's:)

JMI
02-05-2007, 22:23
Second time around reading this thread and it is better the second time.

Mike
02-08-2007, 13:06
I'll bite. WTF is the Rolex trick, hang it on a bush and hope they stop and fight over it?
I know how it works for a compass.

Abu Jack
02-08-2007, 16:01
I came across this thread a couple of months too late. But, better late than never. That was a damn good year we spent together, Firebeef.

Firebeef
02-09-2007, 12:39
lots of good memories Abu!! I'm glad you ragged my 4th point of contact, too! you were the "ol" wpns Sgt...remember??? lol

tactical shmacktical.... i still use that today.lol

except for the birth of my kids, my fondest memories! when are you out of Florida??
Tom is goin to school in Eglin, he'll be there from April until October

ROAD TRIP!!!!!

bluebb
02-21-2007, 23:00
All my buddies from the Q course took a couple of weeks leave before reporting to Oki. I went straight there and the B Co. SGM asked me weather I want to go to the PI or Australia for my first deployment. I chose Australia and got to work with the SAS for a month on a recce concentration as they called it. Awesome training and a lot of rucking through some great terrain in the southwest of the land of OZ. And kangaroo taste great.

Next deployment to the PI to work FID with a Philippine Infantry BN. who would deploy afterward to hunt down memebers of the communist New Peoples Army. I was chopped to the B team and handled all the resupply for 6 split teams and 12 platoons. Got to put the Engineers skills to use, wrangled PI Hueys and USAF Jolly Greens for all my resupply runs out to the teams. I think we set a record on one exfil, we got 10 americans ( 3 crew and 7 SF) and 19 Fils in a Golly Green and had to roll down the hill to take off. Pilot was a Viet Nam rescue vet and said he never had so many troops in before.

We next went all the way from Oki to Cherry Point NC to isolate for a UW exercise in Ocala National Park in Florida. The team was really tested as our Team leader resigned from the army 2 days into isolation. Worked with some Arty guys from Ft. Stewart who were our Gs and I relized how little I missed the regular army. On exfil we got spot lighted by some pouchers, NODs at night and head lights dont mix.

Back to the PI to train another Infantry Bn., this time I taught basic movement techniques, first aid and such to a platoon each day. Had one tree in my area and by the end of my 12 days had worn a rut around the tree following the shade. I don't know about South and Central America or Africa but I bet that Ft Magsaysay in the PI is the hottest place on earth. On a sad note Col. Rowe was killed in Manila while we were there.

Was invited to fill out a team going to Smoke Jumper school in Montana, I hate jumping but I could not turn the training down. Great school, great terrain, and scary trees. I hope we are still letting teams go.

Switched from B Co. to C Co. and deployed right to Hong Kong to work first with the Brits and Gurkhas on another recce concentraion and the with the HKPD SDU unit and some Kiwi SAS. The Brits were great but the Gurkhas were beyond compare, these guys are the hardest working hardest partying most outstanding troops I have ever seen or worked with. Little guys half my size were carrying same weight as me and kicking butt. I learned how to cook in a hide site and sleep on the side of a mountian using my ruck and some 550 cord to make a sleeping seat. If you ever get a chance to work with real Gurkhas take it.
Worked with the HKPD Special duty unit on CQB. Full spectrum CQB apartments, houses, cruise ships, tankers, 747 and vehicle ambushes. Great training.

The last deployment was a real world deployment back to the PI for a coup. It was actually a little past my first year but every story should end with a real world deployment :) We rolled out of Oki and were ready for whatever mission assigned to us. We rehearsed for a couple of diffrent things but never launched.

I was able to work with some great team guys and some great allies. I was handed a ton of responsablity for a 25 year old SSG and I was free to do things my way. My Team SGT. trusted me and I made sure I did the right things. The old timers on the team (Cabin Beach guys) kept me going in the right direction and I valued their advice. I was lucky also in that all of my SGMs were combat proven vets.

I really had a great first year and the rest were even better.

Blue

SouthernDZ
02-22-2007, 04:52

Thanks

doc22584,

You will have 11 other team members engaged in sizing you up; as stated in an earlier post, you only have one chance to make a first impression. Do yourself a favor and realize you don't know a damn thing and keep your mouth shut.

Unlike me, who drank from the firehose my first months on a team while the country wasn't at war (I do not count multiple "advisory" tours in El Sal). You will have to learn each and every other team member's job.

If you're not an 18B: you must learn how to emplace and crew heavy weapons and mortars, tactics, moving as a fire team member, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18C: you have to be able to do the calculations, set up line/ring mains, electric/non-electric, S-4 functions, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18D: you have to be able to stop bleeding, perform chest decompression, and keep your head when someone is screaming "God help me" in your face, etc, etc.

If you're not an 18E: you have to be able to assemble and place into operation all of the numerous radio systems on the team, emergency encrpytion, duties too numerous to list here, etc, etc.

I'll forgo 18A, 180A, 18F and especially 18Z duties here; I pray these will not even be an issue for you so early in your SF career.

I have a hundred stories, some horror, some funny - but I had one thing you won't have when you walk into your first team room - time. I also learned a hell of a lot more from my mistakes than my successes. I'm afraid you may not have that luxuary either.

War is a series of mistakes, he who makes the least, wins.

I wish you the best, I have no doubt you'll carry on the SF tradition well.

MFFI115
03-01-2007, 09:50
I don't know, they kept me in a wall locker the first year!!!

Actually, from Training Group I went straight to CCS were I was in Recon Co and 1st Expoloitation Co, then Recon at CCC, so my experience was a bit different. All the "old timers", One-zeros and such, were pretty young, some younger than me, as I joined the army at a later age. Many of them had only 3-6 months longer in country than me. Now, we did have some real old soldiers like SGM Billy Waugh, MSG "Pop" Taylor, 1st SGT Joe Brock, SFC Floyd Rettman, SGM Matamoros and a few others. Except for Billy and "Pop", and my apologies to anyone I forgot, we learned from our fellow youngsters.

The rest of the old soldiers were either in the staff or security platoon. At that time I viewed them with disdain. Hindsight and the advantage of many years under my belt has taught me tolerance. I got there in May of '69 and some will say the war was "winding down". Many of the old soldiers "hiding" in security platoon, etc. were on their 3rd, 4th and more tours and I think deserved to spend some time in an easy job.

Any way that's my 1st year on a "team" experience; 1-1 and 1-2 in recon Co and Sgd Ldr/Plt Sgt in 1st Exploitation Co. Running Recon and Hatchet Forces as an SF newbie doesn't truly prepare one to be an A-Team member. I'll probably get some grief from some of my old SOG buddies for that comment! After a year and a half in country I went to the 46th CO in Thailand and finally got to my first real A-Team as the Intel Sgt on A-14 of B-4?. Uh-oh, can't remember the B team number. Yes, we had A, B, and C Teams then. We converted to companies and battalions in April '71.

I will add that I don't recall a whole lot of mentoring once I get to A-14. I think the unspoken philosophy was that you signed up, you showed up, got your stripes fast, now perform. Besides, you just spent a year and a half in combat. I think that may hae been a collective attitude amongst the older guys to us younger guys. Although the term didn't exist then, we were SF Babies. We were the first large group of SF volunteers that entered with reduced entrance requirements of age and time in service since the first call up for SF.

MHaselton
04-15-2007, 15:14
Worked with the HKPD Special duty unit on CQB. Full spectrum CQB apartments, houses, cruise ships, tankers, 747 and vehicle ambushes. Great training.

The last deployment was a real world deployment back to the PI for a coup. It was actually a little past my first year but every story should end with a real world deployment :) We rolled out of Oki and were ready for whatever mission assigned to us. We rehearsed for a couple of diffrent things but never launched.

Blue

Not to mention planning a dynamic breach during an exercise with the hope that the steel door would cut the second floor stringers dropping "Bobcat 6" into Chief's live fire. Remember that one? And the "I'm not that impressed. I used to do the same thing with 38 paratroopers and a chainsaw for the door."

blue02hd
04-16-2007, 13:13
Deanwells writes,
"Know you SA. Keep your mouth closed and your ears open. Know your job, not just the things you learn in the school house, but also the things you won't learn unless you ask questions and use the search button on your internet explorer.

Oh YEAH and one more thing,
The experienced guys do not care about your Q course stories unless they ask you directly."
Great advice IMO. The Teams are filled with 2 types of QP's these days. Those who have something to teach, and those who need to STFU and learn.
After 8 years team time, I still consider myself in the second group. As a new graduate, you better KNOW you are too.

You will be judged by your performance, and by your actions. No one cares what you have to say, yet. No one will even listen to you for 2 years unless you save their lives, or have a hot sister.

Post pictures of your sister if you feel you qualify,,,, We'll be honest.

kgoerz
04-16-2007, 18:39
First week on the Team I was told I would be going to Language school in a month. Being young and dumb I was not happy with going right back into school for six months. Of course after the first deployment I realized how lucky I was to speak the language. Guys that couldn't speak Spanish were pretty much along for the ride on those deployments.
Back to not wanting to go to School. Word came out that try outs to work with the SAS for a year were being held by Group. The Team was split up in ten different directions when I arrived. Just the TS and three others. TS gave me permission to give it a shot, like me, he didn't think I had a chance but it would keep me busy. So I decided to give it a shot.
Only six people showed up to try out. It consisted of a 12 Mile Ruck, PT Test, Swim Test and Interview Board, all in one day. Myself and one Officer had the best scores. I went to the interview and my TS was on the Board. He didn't know this when he told me to try out. After the Board I went back to the Team Room to wait.
The TS told me I was going to England hands down. But they disqualified me because I was single. Apparently you need to be married to go on this assignment. TS told me and I later confirmed it, that they were discussing who to pick. They decided on a Captain and me. SGM asked my Team SGT how many kids I had. He replied "Hell, he's not even married SGM" Next candidate please.
It all worked out. Team was filled up quick and ended up being the strongest team in the company. But I always wonder...... That TS never let me live that down, Best Team Sergeant I ever had but I was so happy when he retired.

bluebb
04-17-2007, 09:47
SGM asked my Team SGT how many kids I had. He replied "Hell, he's not even married SGM" Next candidate please.

1st Grp does an exchange with the Australian SAS and I gave it a shot. They wanted married guys for this slot for some reason. SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI." ;)
Needless to say I didn't get the slot.

Blue

deanwells
04-17-2007, 15:58
SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI." ;)

Blue

LMAO.....Those contacts wouldn't happen to be around Clark would they?? You still have to be married and experienced to get the shot. :munchin

kgoerz
04-17-2007, 17:31
1st Grp does an exchange with the Australian SAS and I gave it a shot. They wanted married guys for this slot for some reason. SGM sees me in the back of the room and says "Blue I know you are not married" to which I reply "I can be in less than a week, let me dig up some of my contacts in the PI." ;)
Needless to say I didn't get the slot.

Blue

The assignment was passed around between Groups. Mine was for the British SAS. They exchange with the Australian SAS also. It was a one year assignment. The one I tried out for was sprung on 7th Group at the last minute. One Officer and one Enlisted person were needed. They were told to Sh#@t two people by the next day.
I think that is how I almost slipped in. No one seemed to care that I had less then two weeks in Group. Someone above Group level probably would of stopped me from going, if they noticed that. Or a friend of a friend would of taken my slot. I only met one person who actually did it. They loved it. But the reason for having to be married. Apparently there are a lot of formal functions to attend. Also a Rumor about the last single guy who went was sleeping around a lot. How could you possibly represent SF without partying all night and sleeping with any woman who has a pulse, it's beyond me:confused:

MFFI115
05-02-2007, 17:14
[

Blue,

As I recall, while you guys were in hangars, rehearsing and being screwed with by the BN CSM, the C CO XO and I, your old C CO SGM, were "stuck" :p in Bangkok planning the next company trip there. Life sure sucked!!!

Carl

Daver
05-02-2007, 19:54
I went to Korea within a week of arriving...and back to Bragg for the original certification..what fun there, then back to Korea, and Mount Rainier, and Smith Rocks, Oregon to climb, and back to Mount Rainier, and Pikes Peak...then to Alaska..back to Korea from Alaska...I was on a mountain team BTW! I jumped HALO with the HALO team and that made people mad..and we shot blow darts down the hallway at guys from other teams!

I also got to sit on the C-141 on Hickam for 4 hours guarding weapons during my 1st Korea trip..the FNG rite of passage! Oh yeah, after we left Hickam, we flew to Guam...I did such a good job guarding those weapons in Hawaii that I was personally asked by the Bn Cdr to guard them again in Guam. Every time the rest of the guys came back to the plane, they were clean shaven, smelled nice, and had food from the terminal...also by the time they came back, the next flight crew was in place and we cranked up and left again! I never saw the terminal from any closer than about 200 meters! I noticed how smelly I was when we finally arrived in Osan...as smelly as Osan actually! That same combination occurred on the way home a month later except they had another FNG guard the weapons with me! I passed the test, the next time we went to korea, I was invited to see the terminal this time and actually get chow and take a shower! Guam is really nice when you can actually see it from something other then the jump door window of a C-141.

Great memories....I wouldn't trade them for anything!!!
:D

Blitzzz (RIP)
03-24-2008, 09:20
I was assigned to 1st group. Processed in and was assigned to Co B team 223, This was in the days of 'A', 'B', and 'C' teams ( no Battalions ). I comment on the fisrt year on an A-tm is that it is really Phase 4. I had graduated Phase 1, phase 2, and phase 3 at Ft Bragg and then to Phase 4. First year is learning, learning, Learning. At the time of my assignment to 1st group the teams had been modified to accommodate personnel shortages. The teams were reduced to 10 man teams. One Engineer was removed and one weapons man was removed. As I was the teams only engineer, a cherry, and without mentor, my first year was me taking many notes. I had three Team Sgts, The first one was ROAD and wouldn't do any thing. The second was a "good ole boy". He wasn't bad would do anything necessary to develop Team work.was a big time old style drinker. He was fun to be around and took good care of the team. My third Tm Sgt was magnificent He new the business and he new how to get to most from us. My first class to the team was not good. it was a basic demo class I thought I didn't have to prepare must and it showed. At the end of the class as the team was leaving the team room, the Tm Sgt stepped in front of me and ask if I thought I had given the team my best. I knew I had not. and he just said "You will never give a class to your team members that is less than your best.". Not a major ass chewing but more than enough to let me know I was now in real life. He spurred me on to being a very good demo/engineer team member. His professional, quiet insistence on perfection, made me a much better soldier. I always have fond memories of Msg Walter McBroom. The man provided anexample that I tried to live up to and pass on to all my fellow soldiers on all following teams I was one. Blitz

Guy
03-24-2008, 09:40
I was way too busy trying not to piss off my "Team Sergeant" MSG Tommy Batchelor...:o:D

My only saving grace was that; I'd piss off SGM Horne constantly and Tommy loved me for that...LMAO!

Stay safe.

Heretic
03-24-2008, 10:20
All I can remember about my first year was Stony and Miguel keeping me out of trouble. I learned an infinite amount from these two. Somewhere in there are trips to Norway and Kosovo. Plus the WETS and Pikes Peak climbs. Team SGT was never really around and coming out of the course as an E5 I was the only Bravo. Lou P saved my ass as a Bravo. Three dudes I will never forget. Not the best Team I was on but some of the best people I have and will ever work with.

SFRADIOMAN
04-05-2008, 23:21
This was all 40 years ago and as best I can recall. My first year was split among three teams. My first month was at Don Phouc as the Junior Radio Operator to Rocky Lewis who taught me quite a bit about the field side of operational units. I had spent 5 months on the C team and knew how to handle traffic but Rocky taught me more about direct support.

Must have worked as I was assigned to establish a new A-416 from ground up. Staged all our equipment in conex containers, cut antennas, loaded all my weapons and off we went. Was really a great experience to design antennas to be buried in the dirt walls as backups if the elevated ones got mortared or rocketed down and to build redundant systems from the radio room to the TOC. That took up the next six months until I returned back to CONUS.

Assigned to the 10th and got assigned to an A Team that came back from Germany to Ft. Devins. We spent the next 5 months doing field exercises and cross training. IIRC there were only two RVN vets on the team and the rest of the team wanted to know what RVN was like and I wanted to know what SF assignments were like in Europe so that made for good commo among us.

I can say that I gained a lot of respect for several men in a short period of time but lacked the long term exposure that two or three years or more on the same team would have provided to mold us into a what I would classify as a true operational team.

Joe L>