PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline Info via Recruiter

Dirt Gallo
07-28-2006, 14:11
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
071800 November 22005 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 06-022
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
To: All Recruiting Personnel

SUBJECT: Special Forces Enlistment Program. (Updated)

1. THIS IS AN IMMEDIATE MESSAGE; DELIVER TO ALL RECRUITING PERSONNEL IMMEDIATELY.

2. This message is valid for 1 year from date of publication, unless rescinded or superseded prior to that.

3. References :

a. USARED Regulation 601-210, Regular Army and Army Reserve Enlistment Program, dated 16 May 2005 with Operational changes, dated 16 June 2005.

b. Memorandum from ODCSPER, SUBJECT: Special Forces Recruiting Initiative Implementation Guidance, dated 8 December 1999.

c. USAREC Message 05-029, Special Forces Enlistment Program (UPDATED COPY). (Rescinded)

4. This message is effective 3 October 2005 and provides guidance for the Special Forces Enlistment Program. Soldiers who want to volunteer for the Special Forces may enlist under Program 9A, U.S. Army Training Enlistment Program, Option 4 (U.S. Army Training of Choice Enlistment), Surrogate Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) of 18X (SF Recruit). Applicants must enlist for a minimum acive duty service obligation of 60 months. Individuals, both non-prior (NPS) and prior-service (PS), must be eligible to enlist and meet all additional prerequisites listed below:

a. Must be 20 years of age by graduation of CMF 11 One Station Unit Training (OSUT) and have not reached their 30th birthday prior to ship date.

b. Qualified for, and volunteer for airborne training (must have airborne stamp on physical).

c. MUst be a U.S. Citizen.

d. Minimum scores of 110 GT and 98 CO.

e. High School Diploma Graduate (Tier 1), HSSR/ENRL applicants are not authorized enlistment into CMF 18X.

f. One year of college is preferred, but is not madatory for enlistment.

g. Must be eligible for a SECRET clearance.

h. Must take the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB). The DLAB test must be scheduled within 3 working days after enlistment and taken within 21 days of enlistment and posted to REQUEST. No minimum score required. For those enlisting to ship withing the 30 day window, DLAB must be taken and scores posted into REQUEST no later than 15 days prior to ship date.

i. Must successfully complete the Pre-Basic Training Task List (USAREC Form 137) and the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) with minimum scores of 60 points in each event. The APFT must be administered within 30 days prior to ship date. Forward a copy of DA Form 705 (Army Physical Fitness Test Scorecard) and the USARED Fm 1137 to guidance counselor shop for verification for accelerated promotion. Individuals will be enlisted in pay grade E-3 (based on HQDZ exception for this option). Those individuals who fail any event of the APFT or the Pre-Basic Training Task List will have their contract renegotiated and will only be authorized advanced promotion based on provisions of AR 601-210.

5. Individuals (NPS, DOS/PS who require retraining) will enlist under Option 3 (U.S. Army Training of Choice Enlistment Option) MOS 18x, will ship to Fort Benning, GA and follow the training path listed below:

a. In processing through the Reception Battalion.

b. OSUT for MOS 11x. Soldiers must achieve an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) score of 229 with a minimum of 60 points in each event upon completion of OSUT.

c. Airborne Training.

d. Special Operation Preparatory & Conditioning (SOPC) Course (Fort Bragg, NC). This course is two weeks in duration, consisting of physical conditioning, land navigation, and small unit team building. Individuals will be required to meet Special Forces (SF) selection and eligibility criteria as outlined in AR 614-200, Chapter 5.5. Individuals must obtain an electrocardiogram (EKG) prior to their arrival at SOPC course.

6. Individuals already holding primary MOS of 11B (DOS/PS) who are not airborne qualified, Guidance Counselors must contact ROC for assistance.

7. Those indiviuals already MOS qualified as 11B and airborne qualified, will enlist under Option 18 (U.S. Army First Assignment-No Training Enlistment Option) with assignment to Fort Bragg, NC, and once in processed will start training with the SOPC Course. Contact ROC for and required assistance.

8. Once soldiers meet all criteria, they will be scheduled for Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course (SFAS) (3 weeks 3 days) as outlined in DA Pam 351-4.

9. Individuals who successfully complete SFAS, will be assigned to Special Operations Command until scheduled for Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC).

10. Guidance counselors will use REQUEST MOS 18X when using this program. Counselors will ensure that proper entries are made on DD Form 1966 series and that the Dynamic Annexes from GCR, both at DEP-In and Dep-Out (appropriate forms IAW UR 601-96 for DOS/PS). DA Form 3286-70 (Addendum to Satement for Enlistment) will be included at DEP-In. APplicants will be required to read and initial block 1a of this form and acknowledge his understanding fo this option by signing the appropriate block under "Authentication" on back of form. The GC will complete the remainder fo this section, witnessing the applicant's signature. The GC, by signing this form, indicates that he or she provided all information required under the provisions fo this program.

11. Point of contact for this message is...............

Just figured I'd brush on my typing and share some info for people to refer to.
Have a nice day,
JP

chittnp
07-28-2006, 16:09
Good Post! I would like to add that currently, for prior service personnel, your time in service comes off your age. I was told this by the active duty SF recruiter. For example, if you are like me and have already passed your 29th birthday, the Army subtracts your time in service from your age (6 years for me) so as far as the Army is concerned, for purposes of taking part in this program, I am only 23.

POO
07-30-2006, 09:43
Copy that. Good post, thanks for the info.

Ammodawg
09-29-2006, 08:53
Good Post! I would like to add that currently, for prior service personnel, your time in service comes off your age. I was told this by the active duty SF recruiter. For example, if you are like me and have already passed your 29th birthday, the Army subtracts your time in service from your age (6 years for me) so as far as the Army is concerned, for purposes of taking part in this program, I am only 23.

This is great news! Thank you so much for posting that, I had no idea. When my enlistment is up here in the Air Force I will be 29 1/2. That 30yr old cut off had me worried. But seeing as I will have 10yrs active duty already under my belt, that makes me a strapping 20yr old again! :lifter :D

rourke03
10-02-2006, 11:15
From this post, it seems like it is open to prior-service, but I have e-mailed numerous Army recruiters and they all tell me it's not open to prior service. I'm one year from my EAOS in the Navy and I was looking at the National Guard. If this is open to prior service for AD, I would definitely go that route. I'll be 33 at my EAOS, so I'll barely make the age cutoff with AD years subtracted. I'm in the Virginia Beach area and if any of you have been in contact with a recruiter that could help me out that would be great. Thanks a lot for your time. Take care.

Rourke

Ammodawg
10-03-2006, 11:03
To my knowledge (limited as it is) the only SOF you cannot get into being prior service is the Ranger Battalion, and even that is 'unofficially' the case. HTH

rourke03
10-03-2006, 12:29
I've read of prior service getting an 18X contract, but I'm hearing none of it from the recruiters I've talked to. I'll keep trying other recruiters.

Dirt Gallo
10-05-2006, 15:24
Refer to the Recruiting Memo that is the first post on this page. Print it out even and hand it to them. I received it directly from a recruiter myself and typed it pretty much exact....just ommited a phone number IIRC. Also, (and this is a nice thing to remember), if you are prior service, but no longer a member of the US Army, the recruiters' chain of command does not apply to you. So, be dirty bastard and go over their head if they don't beleive you. Ask to speak to their 1SG or whomever will point you in the right direction. You are a civilian now and treat it as a business negotiation. At this point, it still is.

Good luck to all and take this advice for what its worth.

Edit:
Ahhh, and let's not forget the almighty "Search" button. I'm pretty sure there are stickies and previous posts that mention contacting recruiters as well. Perhaps talking to a recruiter at one of the aforementioned POC's would be beneficial.

rourke03
10-07-2006, 22:34
Thanks for the info. I've used the search button to research all of this, but if you do the same, I think you'll find that it seems to change some of the time. Just trying to get the most current info. Thanks again. Take care.

WhiskeyBoarder
12-13-2007, 10:02
To repost a question from yesterday that got lost during the forum’s malfunction.

I found this thread, among many others, when searching for “prior service 18X.” From these threads and discussions with a local recruiter, I have determined that the 18X option is available for prior service candidates. However, I have a question remaining:

Where does a prior service, non-11B soldier (WITHOUT an extended break in service) begin his accession in the pipeline?

My recruiter told me that I could begin the process by inserting during the last few weeks of an 11X OSUT cycle, essential completing the “AIT” portion. Other discussions have indicated that a soldier in such a position would have to complete the entire BCT again (however, I believe that many of these discussions may have focused on candidates with longer breaks in service). I am not opposed to either option, I just want verification of information that I am receiving from a recruiter that I am a bit weary.

Thanks much.

With respect.

Snaquebite
12-13-2007, 10:27
WB,

When you speak of being "tired of" your recruiter, are you referring to a regular Army recruiter? A little google would direct you to a more definitive source of information that you would not have to be "wary" of.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/contact.htm

WhiskeyBoarder
12-13-2007, 13:34
SGM:

I contacted each of the email addresses on that page previously. Each of them besides one directed me to contact a regular active duty recruiter. The one who gave me alternate advice told me to return to active duty and submit a packet. Of course, this is an option but to ensure insertion into the pipeline, I would want something contractually promised.

I will recontact those SF recruiters that replied originally with the follow-up question I have developed here:

Where is the prior service 18X candidate entered into the pipeline upon re-entering active duty?

Thanks for your help, SGM.

With Respect

SCRWS6
12-13-2007, 18:15
I hope I`m not overstepping my boundries, this being my second post on this board, but I have been a Recruiter now for almost three years. The messages from higher and all the classes we`ve recieved regarding PS enlisting 18X have been that if a PS walks in and wants 18X we have to tell them they will have to enlist first then turn in a packet once they reach their unit. This website was the first place I had ever heard of PS guys getting 18X contracts. Not saying it can`t be done because of the info I`ve seen here, just be prepared to hit a lot of brick walls when it comes to talking to a Recruiter. Everytime I`ve tried to go the extra mile and get a PS guy something more I always hear;" Hes prior service he`ll take what we give him or nothing at all."
I know better now thanks to this website.

The Reaper
12-13-2007, 18:20
I hope I`m not overstepping my boundries, this being my second post on this board, but I have been a Recruiter now for almost three years. The messages from higher and all the classes we`ve recieved regarding PS enlisting 18X have been that if a PS walks in and wants 18X we have to tell them they will have to enlist first then turn in a packet once they reach their unit. This website was the first place I had ever heard of PS guys getting 18X contracts. Not saying it can`t be done because of the info I`ve seen here, just be prepared to hit a lot of brick walls when it comes to talking to a Recruiter. Everytime I`ve tried to go the extra mile and get a PS guy something more I always hear;" Hes prior service he`ll take what we give him or nothing at all."
I know better now thanks to this website.

Just to clear up a point.

If you have to reenlist and arrive at your unit to drop an SF packet, you are not getting an 18X deal, you are just another soldier submitting a packet.

An 18X enlists with a contract that turns them into an airborne infantryman with pretraining and the guarantee of a shot at SF. If he fails or quits, he is up for worldwide reassignment as an 11B.

I understand your comment, but would submit that a quick look at the recruiting numbers and lowered standards means that the prior service soldier no longer has to take what you give him. Instead, as a civilian, he can walk till you offer him what he wants.

TR

CSB
12-13-2007, 23:28
From a older SF guy who never saw the abbreviation before:

What is "HSSR/ENRL" quoted in the education requirement?

Doe it have to do with GED? Home School? Class standing?

SCRWS6
12-14-2007, 13:33
HSSR- High School Senior

ENRL- Enrolled (you can join if you are enrolled to take the GED test and have a set date)

Scimitar
12-14-2007, 18:26
SCRW,

IIRC, when I enlisted under the 18X last year, I did not have a US High School diploma and GED was not eligible.

I had to get some assistance from a very nice LTC.

Have the reqs changed?

Scimitar

sofmed
12-17-2007, 02:39
When I ran the medical and processing facility for 18X at SWC a few years back, we had numerous PS guys come through. Former AFPJ's and CC's, as well as some 'older' Army, Marines, and guys from other svcs. Then, they even had a clause that if for some unforseen qualifying event --injury-- they were sidelined during the course they had the option to 'pop smoke' and jetison right out of the Army all together. A friend of mine did that after injuring his hip the same way I did. That option has since been recinded. I DO know that PS guys still have the same options for the 18X program as non-PS. I'm 38, was 37 when I decided to come back onto active duty and they offered me an 18X program right off the bat because of my background. I chose differently, as I had that option.

TR has it correct as well. 18X as 11B until SF Qual'd, or reassigned to needs of the Army. Don't quit and pray that you don't get injured. Good luck to those of you choosing this road!

sofmed
12-17-2007, 02:41
Sorry, almost double posted. :o

OldRGR
02-21-2008, 14:25
I am PS, 11B3V, was selected. I ETS'd out of 20th SFG(A) last year. I am now told that my SFAS has expired and I have to go back. I called the SF recruiter at Fort Drum and was told I had to go back in, spend a year somewhere else, apply, and then go to SFAS. What this thread tells me is that it is worth asking for an 18X contract and seeing what happens. Any advice, gentlemen?

Jason2o
04-13-2008, 19:27
Excuse me Gentlemen does anyone know if the information in the original posters message is current. Just checking as its 2 years old.

Also Is it mandatory to deal directly with an SF recruiter? Currently I have been dealing with My local Recruiter and have been lead to believe he can handle my request sufficiently.

Thanks

Surgicalcric
04-13-2008, 20:18
...I have been dealing with My local Recruiter and have been lead to believe he can handle my request sufficiently.

Thanks

The local regular Army recruiter can handle your enlistment into the 18X program. Also, since you have a recruiter he would be able to answer whether there is a more current memo regarding requirements for enlistment into the 18X program.

HTH,

Crip