PDA

View Full Version : B Co 3/20 SFG

exsquid
07-25-2006, 08:29
All:

I just checked my PMs for the first time and I have received several PMs asking pretty much the same questions so I will put out a little information.

We do not hold "tryouts" per se. We have a program called the SF Indoctrination Program (SFIP for short) that starts 3 times a year. Basically it works like this, drill weekends begin with a AFPT Sat morning, break to eat, change, and ruck up for day land nav. Break in the afternoon to eat and change for a timed run. Break to eat , change, and ruck up for night land nav. Sunday, timed ruck march, clean up, & counselling. Each month distances get longer and times get shorter. You do not have to wait until a new cycle starts you can jump in mid cycle it just means you will not have had the time to build yourself up.

There are basically two ways to get to the unit. One, sign up with any NG unit in NC and get permission to train with B Co. When they think you are ready you go to SFAS and if you get selected you do an in-state transfer to B Co. Two sign up directly with the unit. This requires interviewing with the unit and their approval.

Personally I went straight to the unit, did one complete cycle of SFIP, went to SFAS, Airborne, and I am now at the Q. Best decision I ever made in my military career was coming over to the NG.

x/S

FMA11
07-25-2006, 14:39
I'm a current member of North Carolina's SFIP program and will gladly answer any questions (within my lane, of course) that I can. Based on numbers alone, it's fair to say that the program has been extremely successful preparing candidates for SFAS and the Q Course. The drills are extremely well organized and no time is wasted during the weekends. The cadre are as professional as they come and show a legitimate interest in preparing dedicated candidates for whichever stage they are slated to attend.

gumby2/6
04-25-2011, 11:50
Hello,
I'm a former AD USMC Scout/Sniper and want to get to SFAS. As per the two ways to get to the non-qual plt., I was told recently that B 3/20 was currently over strength and not accepting potential SF candidates directly into the unit(I am not currently in the ARNG). Is this still the case? As per the second route, I am still learning about how the Guard does things and I was hoping to get a QP's opinion on the time one should spend in their assigned unit before trying to get the CO to sign off on training with the NQP. I want to get my shot as soon as possible but also don't want to be that guy that shows up at their first drill with obvious intentions to try and leave immediately. I also was hoping to get some insight on how well units generally perceive the idea that their unit is being used as, essentially, a stepping stone and if that will cause significant delays in getting where I want to be.
S/F

Dozer523
04-25-2011, 12:27
All:

begin with a AFPT Sat morning, break to eat,
change, and ruck up for day land nav. Break in the afternoon to eat and
change for a timed run. Break to eat

There are basically two ways to get to the unit.

At least you won't have to go hungry.:p
Only two ways in? I'll bet if you showed up with homebaked cookies they'd have the paperwork done in a minute.:D

hakuda
04-26-2011, 13:20
Not sure if you are the one I talked to on the phone or not, but joining the Guard is the first step. Once you get to a unit (this is assuming they roll you in as a infantry guy based on previous service) sit and talk to your CoC and let them know of your intentions. Letting your recruiter know as well may play to your favor. He can discuss things with the unit when he talks to them about getting you a paragraph and line number. If you are honest up front, your path should be smoother than just pulling it out of the blue.

As far as not taking people into the unit for training, we have had issues with guys getting into the unit and getting all comfy and then just tying up a slot while remaining non-MOSQ (which makes state un-happy). So to prevent the hassle of trying to get rid of a turd, we just don't bring anyone on the books until they are selected.

Sorry if I over-stepped my place QP's. I thought I would be able to answer his question quickly.

gumby2/6
04-26-2011, 16:15
Thank you, hakuda.

czechsix
04-27-2011, 22:50
We do not hold "tryouts" per se. We have a program called the SF Indoctrination Program (SFIP for short)...
x/S

Is this generally how it works with both groups (19th and 20th) and most companies within those groups or will there be some variation?

Surgicalcric
04-28-2011, 00:50
Is this generally how it works with both groups (19th and 20th) and most companies within those groups or will there be some variation?

Yes to both.

If you do some reading in both 19th and 20th Groups sub-forums you can pick up on some of it.

s2kguy
11-30-2011, 21:01
I have a couple of questions about attending SFIP.

First, I am a VA guard member, would I have to IST before being able to attend SFIP or could I get permissive TDY orders or something of that nature?

Secondly, I'm an O-1, do I have to wait until I am O-2(p) or can I attend these training cycles before my year group for SFAS? I obvious don't want to take up spaces that could go to people who are now eligible for SFAS, but I would like to start preparing with something like this as soon as possible. Am I jumping the gun a little bit?

Surgicalcric
11-30-2011, 22:37
I have a couple of questions about attending SFIP.

First, I am a VA guard member, would I have to IST before being able to attend SFIP or could I get permissive TDY orders or something of that nature?

No, you would attend SFIP and if you meet the standard you will IST thereafter,.

Secondly, I'm an O-1, do I have to wait until I am O-2(p) or can I attend these training cycles before my year group for SFAS? I obvious don't want to take up spaces that could go to people who are now eligible for SFAS, but I would like to start preparing with something like this as soon as possible. Am I jumping the gun a little bit?

You can attend them but you are getting ahead of yourself.

Sir...while the physical training will be good you will be missing out on learning to be a leader of men. You arent going to get the same experience(s) at NG SF drills as you would having to deal with "Joe." Speaking as an SF NCO you need to learn to lead young and impressionable troops before trying to lead 10 hard headed NCOs who have a ton more experience than you.

Best of luck getting the proverbial cart back behind the horse. ;)

Crip

s2kguy
12-01-2011, 16:11
I was hoping to do this in addition to drilling with my unit. I was working under the assumption that I wouldn't be getting paid, that this would be permissive.

hakuda
12-04-2011, 19:44
The main issue with that is that since you would not be in a drilling status, should you get injured, you may have issues with Tri-Care as well as an LOD.

If you have been in contact with us you probably have received an email with info that will help you with the physical part. These SFIP weekends are strictly an evaluation of where you are. Other than constructive criticism, self-discovered or given by cadre, there isn't much there for physical training purposes.

Hope this helps with your question.

s2kguy
12-08-2011, 22:05
Thank you for the input gentlemen, I'll continue doing what I'm doing for my role now and to prepare for what's next until it's my time.