View Full Version : Pvt. Robert Howard

Gypsy
07-21-2006, 19:48
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/15077306.htm

Hero's son just wants 'to be a good soldier'
BY MICK WALSH
Staff Writer

Following in the footsteps

Pvt. Robert Howard was able to stay out of his dad's shadow for 12 of his 14 weeks in basic training.

But when Howard's company commander, Capt. Jeff Beauchamp, learned that Howard's father just happened to be the most decorated of all soldiers who fought in Vietnam, a man with more medals than even the legendary Audie Murphy, then Howard's secret was out of the rucksack.

Some of Howard's buddies also learned about the father-son relationship from a book on past Medal of Honor winners.

"You related to this Robert Howard?" the young soldier at Fort Benning was asked.

He confirmed that he was.

"And those guys wanted to know more about my dad," he said this week, as his fellow trainees cleaned their weapons outside the company day room, preparing for Friday's graduation ceremony.

Now everyone knows of the Howards, father and son. The elder Howard will be afforded VIP status as he comes to Fort Benning from his home in San Antonio to speak at his son's graduation.

So why hadn't Howard Jr. told his buddies the story of Howard Sr.?

"I didn't need the additional pressure of being the son of a Medal of Honor winner," said the 22-year-old member of C Company, 2nd Battalion, 58th Regiment of the Infantry Training Brigade. "It's not that I'm embarrassed or anything, it's just that Dad suggested before I began training that I not tell anyone of our relationship."

Retired Col. Robert Howard, a native of Opelika, Ala., was actually nominated for the Medal of Honor on three different occasions during a 13-month tour in Vietnam in 1968-69.

The Medal of Honor was awarded to then-platoon Sgt. Howard for heroic actions during a rescue attempt of a missing American soldier on Dec. 30, 1968, including dragging his wounded platoon leader to safety despite his own injuries. During his Vietnam service, he also was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star, America's second- and third-highest medals for valor, for different actions.

'My dad's very humble'

During the six days in the field leading to the climb up Honor Hill, which represents the unofficial end of basic training, Howard's son spent some time thinking of what it must have been like for his dad in combat.

"Our Field Training Exercises present us different scenarios to prepare us for what we might face in combat," he said. "I guess you really never know how you'll react in that situation until you've been there. I don't doubt that I'll be OK, though."

Since his parents divorced when he was 7 years old, young Howard hasn't spent as much time as he'd like with his father, who retired from active duty in 1992.

"I really didn't know him as a soldier," Howard said. In fact, it wasn't until he was in high school back in his home of Dos Palos, Calif., midway between San Jose and Fresno, that he understood what the hoopla about his dad was all about.

"We were asked to write about the person we most admired and I decided to write about my dad," he said. "My dad's very humble but he did tell me about Vietnam. I've read stories about him since and even attended some of the Medal of Honor events at which he speaks."

Different career path

The younger Howard seemed to be on a different career path than his father just a couple of years ago.

A three-sport letterman in high school, he concentrated on football at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. He had passed on an opportunity to attend West Point, a privilege allotted sons and daughters of Medal of Honor winners.

"I sort of regret that now," he said.

But 2 1/2 years into college, he made an about face and enlisted in the Army.

"I plan to finish one day, but I was just ready for something else," he said.

That "something else" turned out to be the Army.

"Now, I'm thinking maybe I'll make it a career," he said.

Next up: Airborne School, then the Ranger Indoctrination Program.

"My dad told me that joining the Rangers is the way to go," Howard said. It should be noted that his dad was both a Ranger and a Green Beret in Vietnam.

The young soldier, who played strong safety at Cal Poly, said he's excited to visit his dad and to hear his speech on Friday.

"I admire him greatly for everything he's done," Howard said. "He just got back from Iraq and Afghanistan, where he talked to our soldiers over there. My dad's a hero. That's not my goal, though. I just want to be a good soldier."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Sergeant
07-21-2006, 20:29
Great post Gypsy!
I could not imagine being in Robert Jr. shoes.
I wonder if he'll go SF???

rubberneck
07-21-2006, 20:45
There is another story out about the Howard's and it said that Robert Howard Jr was on his way to RIP after he graduates from BAC. I guess he might give it a go after a couple years in the 75th.

Gypsy
07-21-2006, 22:18
Great post Gypsy!
I could not imagine being in Robert Jr. shoes.
I wonder if he'll go SF???

Thanks TS, I'm sure it must be daunting...

Here's another article, it was posted elsewhere and there was no link.

July 21, 2006

One of nation's highest decorated heroes to speak at son's graduation

Bridgett Siter
Bayonet staff

Retired Col. Robert Howard recalls a conversation he had with his son 14 years ago. The elder Howard, Robert Sr., one of the most highly decorated veterans this country has ever known, had just spoken at a Vietnam memorial ceremony somewhere in the hills of Virginia.

Having recently retired with 36 years of service, the five-tour combat veteran, three times nominated for the Medal of Honor, was becoming a popular speaker with pro military organizations around the country. But it was one of the first times his 8-year-old son heard him speak about his experience in Vietnam.

Robert Jr. sat quietly beside his father in the front seat of the car on the way back home. Finally he broke the silence.

"Dad, would you want me to go to war?"

"No, son. I don't ever want you to go to war," his father replied. "But if you do go to war and serve our country, I'll be very proud of you."

Monday, Robert Sr. spoke from his home in Texas, where he was packing for a trip to Fort Benning. He'll be the guest speaker today when his son graduates from 2nd Battalion, 58th Infantry Regiment, on Sand Hill. After Airborne School and the Ranger Indoctrination Program, the younger Howard will likely see combat soon enough.

"I'm very proud of him. Our country needs him, and he stepped up," said Robert Sr., the Opelika, Ala., native who earned a battlefield commission and the Medal of Honor in 1969.

His awards and medals, which include the nation's three highest military honors and eight Purple Hearts, number more than Audie Murphy's, a fact officials noted when Robert Sr. was inducted into the Ranger Hall of Fame last year.

But that's not what he wanted to talk about Monday. Instead, he spoke about the father he never knew, the son he barely knew, and the reasons they both joined the Army.

Robert Sr., who was born in 1939, lost his father and four uncles to World War II.

His mother fell apart, and her mother stepped in to care for the boy and his older sister.

Life was rough, Robert said, but he was loved well and taught well. He grew up very proud of his military heritage, with no ill feelings toward the system that drafted his father or the enemy that took his life.

"Grandma taught me never to have hate in my heart," he said. "You don't have to have hate to be a good Soldier.

"You have to appreciate what you're fighting for. Hate should never enter into it.

"I can honestly say I never hated the enemy. I had respect for him, and I'd kill him if I had to, but I never hated him," Robert Sr. said.

The senior Howard enlisted when he was 17 in the summer of 1956, 50 years before his son left California to follow in his footsteps.

The Army was something the younger Howard had always thought about, though he can't say exactly why. Certainly, he didn't grow up hearing about his father's exploits.

He did, however, frequently attend military functions, including Medal of Honor conventions, where he was surrounded by men he now knows were heroes of the highest caliber.

"I was too young to realize. I figured everybody's dad was like mine," Robert Jr. said. "He didn't talk about it much. I knew him as a civilian."

The elder Howard is very humble, his son said. That, coupled with lengthy separations - the day his son was born, Robert Sr. got orders to Korea for two years - and his parents' divorce, made for a long-distance relationship between father and son.

It wasn't until Robert Jr. was in high school that he learned the extent his father is revered by others.

He was assigned to write a report on someone he admired. Online, he found several Web sites and dozens of references to his father and the actions that earned him more Medal of Honor nominations than any other Soldier in history.

"That's when I started to grasp what he did. There are not many men like him. There probably never will be," Robert Jr. said.

Maybe that's why the younger Howard put off his dream of joining the Army.

Living in the shadow of a hero can be daunting. Filling his shoes - his combat boots - can be darn-near impossible.

"I'm just an ordinary private," Robert Jr. said. "There's no way to live up to what he did. I'm just going to be the best Soldier I can be."

Robert Jr. said his father never pressured him to enlist, and he got sidetracked in high school, where plans for a military career took a back seat to football, baseball and track.

He played football at California Polytechnical State University while studying political science, and spent a year working in the orchards and fields around Dos Palos. But something was missing.

"I tried the college thing. That just wasn't it," he said. "I wanted something other than a normal job. Something with more honor. To me, that's what this is all about."

As for honor, the elder Howard, who retired from the Department of Veterans Affairs in January, said he's honored and humbled and a little bit nervous at the prospect of speaking to the troops with his son in their midst.

"It's quite something when you've got your son standing there in formation," he said. "He's real smart, very smart. He had plans to be this or that, and he could be anything he wants to be. But his country needs him. I'm proud of him."

Monsoon65
07-21-2006, 23:52
Wow, no pressure there! I'm sure he'll do great!!

Ambush Master
07-22-2006, 07:51
Gypsy,

Here's the link:

http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=OAN/MGArticle/OAN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149189289342

Gypsy
07-22-2006, 07:52
Thanks, AM!

x SF med
07-22-2006, 09:22
If RH jr goes SF - I sure hope none of the guys from my era are still around as TACs at the Q - COL H was a stud, and the meanest ruck leader in the world, those guys might take it out on Jr... and the rest of his class. But I will guarantee you - our training was never compromised for anything with COL H in charge. Good job RH Jr - I hope you never get the chance to have to follow in 1/2 of your Dad's footsteps.

dennisw
07-22-2006, 09:28
"I'm very proud of him. Our country needs him, and he stepped up," said Robert Sr., the Opelika, Ala., native who earned a battlefield commission and the Medal of Honor in 1969.

"He's real smart, very smart. He had plans to be this or that, and he could be anything he wants to be. But his country needs him. I'm proud of him."

Doesn't get any simpler then that. We just don't hear it enough.

bost1751
07-22-2006, 10:12
I can understand why he attempted to keep this quiet. The is known for the remainder of his career as Bod Howard's son. I actually went through jump school and training group with a guy who's father was a MG. He kept quiet and I did not know about it until we had been a Devens a couple of months. Anyway, best of luck to Robert Jr., just hope he does not think he has to fill his Dad's shoes.

vsvo
07-22-2006, 12:20
Thanks for the post Gypsy! Best of luck to Robert Jr.

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2006, 17:09
No way in hell to keep it quiet.

I wish the young man all the best.

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2006, 17:10
as I secretly wonder if huge balls in combat is genetic...

Smokin Joe
07-22-2006, 22:52
as I secretly wonder if huge balls in combat is genetic...

I hope the luck fallow's him as well.

Good Luck Robert Howard Jr.