PDA

View Full Version : Athlete's Foot

Solid
03-29-2004, 03:21
I hope this is the right place to post this question, but-
I have mockassin-type athelete's foot (on the sole). I've been trying a combination of pills and sprays, as well as following all my previous hygene routines. However, none seem to be working (it's been three weeks).

Does anyone know a quicker-working fix for this stuff?

Thank you,

Solid

ccrn
03-29-2004, 08:51
What meds are you using?

Guy
03-29-2004, 14:06
What do your toenails look like?

Sacamuelas
03-29-2004, 14:18
CLEAN your shower, bathroom floor, shower shoes, etc with bleach.....:D(make that momma happy)

Otherwise, you may be reinfecting yourself with the fungus daily.

BMT (RIP)
03-29-2004, 14:27
I know this might not be possible for a city slicker. Anyone familar with the Fox Fires series of books,they has a cure.

Step in fresh cow shit is suspose to work. The people in the Appalahians used this treatment.

BMT
Sr. FOG

Ambush Master
03-29-2004, 21:40
H2O2=Hydrogen Peroxide. Fungus HATES it. Get a large bottle and a trigger sprayer, keep in the bathroom and use liberally in the shower/tub areas. Also on feet and any areas that fungus type stuff would be. I had a toenail fungus that H2O2 took out. It took a while, but it got rid of it without the drugs that aren't all that good for you.

This stuff is extremely effective and not as hazardous as the chlorene products. Used on fresh vegetables, etc. it kills 99%+ of the bad stuff.

Solid
03-30-2004, 04:46
I finished using my Allylamine a few days ago, results are not yet clear. I have continued using a standard no-brand spray on soles of feet, toes, fingers, and in socks.
I've bleached everything possible (first step, also I enjoy scrubbing), and will find myself some Hydrogen Peroxide.
My toe nails are clean and short, I check them daily for infection.
Thanks for all of your help, if there is anything else, please please say! Frickin' itches...

Thanks,

Solid

PS- Could I sand-paper off the infected skin and then swap with rubbing alcohol/h2o2?? Or is it a sub-cutaneous infection?

Eagle5US
03-30-2004, 07:53
1. throw away your shower shoes...they are cheap.
2. Wear cotton socks, change them every time you eat and use powder.
3. Use a hair dryer to dry your feet out of the shower, be sure to get between your toes. Take your time, if you rush, you won't get cured.
4. swap out your shoes / boots / whatever you are wearing to allow them to dry at a minimum for a day between nastyness.

Fungus likes three things: dark, warm, moist...it must have all three to survive.
Peroxide is a great cleaner for your feet, it changes the pH to an unfavorable environment for fungus to grow...just use the hairdryer afterwards.
If you still are faced with this...can be two other things...
1. Erythrasma: a bacterial infection that will flouresce coral red under a woods lamp
2. Yeast: yes, yeast is a kind of growthy thing, but you should take meds orally to assist in getting rid of it.

in ANY case...watch for secondary infection and cellulitis...if this appears, see your doctor sooner than later.

Good luck

Eagle:munchin

Solid
03-30-2004, 08:49
Damnation!
I've already changed shower shoes, I wear exclusively cotton socks (I like the feel... :D), and I towel off between my toes and then wash the towel. Which powder are you using? Mine's brandless, from Boots... I might have to buy a 'special' powder to ensure that it's doing its thing in terms of prevention. My biggest problem is boot discipline. I have two pairs of timberlands which I change between every time I go out, but the leather is somewhat difficult to dry, even on a made-to-measure boot rack. I'm hopefully grabbing some Desert Acadia's by Danner next time I'm stateside (one week: can't wait!), so this might help the problem somewhat.

I'll continue monitoring the progress of the infection. I remember getting a very serious case inbetween my toes at camp, individual pustules were about an inch in diameter. Painful stuff.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Solid

ccrn
03-30-2004, 09:02
Solid,

As you are already taking PO meds and addressing the infection sytemicly. and are observing good hygiene, the only other thing I could suggest is using a cream rather than spray or powder.

You have already tried an allylmine which is a good product. Possibly another form will work for you. I am not a prescriber, nor can I truly endorse any product, but lamisil (terbinafine=synthetic allylimine) topical cream can be successful at treating persistant fungal infections from my own experience. Use it liberaly and more than long enough to tx the issue, then keep some around, when you start to see things crop back up do another course and nip it in the bud-

Don

Solid
03-30-2004, 09:36
Will definetly start in on some cream once I find some. I'm lucky because the soles of my feet are nowhere near as tough as they could be, thereby facilitating the absorbtion of the spray/cream/powder.

I still can't believe that you guys use the :munchin smilie- who could eat popCORN after discussing athlete's foot?!

LOL

Solid

myclearcreek
03-30-2004, 11:46
Ah, the torment. Both my sons suffered like crazy from Athlete's feet. The Foxfire books do recommend putting your feet into fresh cow poop - and leaving them there for a long period of time. For my sons, however, we used someone a little less odorific. They first soaked their feet in a solution that penetrates and softens. Then they applied tea tree oil, T36-C5, applied to the affected area and rubbed in. Do this every evening until there are no remaining symptoms. Much less expensive than the sprays, creams, and medicated powders we tried and much more effective.

Happy feet! :lifter

Solid
03-30-2004, 13:50
I'll try that, definetly. I'm still considering wearing off the effected layers of skin and applying ointment directly, but I want to make sure that it will have some kind of a result other than delaying any long ruckmarches..

Solid

myclearcreek
03-30-2004, 19:03
The tea tree oil penetrates and dries - the affected skin will slough off on its own and you shouldn't have to do anything more than wash and scrub your feet well morning and evening. That was our experience. One treated his feet for three days in a row and was fine. The other, whose feet looked horrible, had to do it for a few days longer.

Solid
03-31-2004, 04:36
Considering that I can't get ahold of any other meds up here, I'll hunt down some teetrea oil. Thank you for the recommendation!

Today I had a moment where I stood at the edge of my bathroom, staring at the floor. It was five AM and I'd just woken from a nightmare, so I was disorientated. I stared, and stared, and stared, trying to 'see' the bacteria. Eventually I went down stairs to get some bleach, but then woke up properly, remembered it was THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, did my business and went back to sleep.

I HATE IT when my mind plays tricks on me!

Solid

Solid
04-01-2004, 08:26
Ahah! Man once again triumphs over bacteria! Despite my running and river-fording activities, my feet are now all clear of infection and good to go!
No more itching!
I will, however, keep an eye on them because the infection is sneaky.

Thank you all for your help,

Solid

PS: Apparently those infected once with any strain of Athlete's Foot are generally more susceptible later on- is this true biologically, or just because those people tend to keep less-than-perfect hygene standards?

myclearcreek
04-01-2004, 09:13
That was quick. What did you do?

Solid
04-01-2004, 10:30
Removed the upper layer of skin with an emory bar and swabbed with h2o2, then sat on the deck in the sun with my feet up in the breeze. I repeated the swab before bed, and in the morning it was looking a lot better although slightly red. By the time I had posted, the redness was almost completely gone. I guess I heal quickly :)

Now I have to build up that layer of 'hard skin' again though... I bet that the next ruck is a pain!

Solid

CommoGeek
07-19-2004, 14:03
To revive this old thread....

I have some toenail fungus that H2O2 was slowly getting rid of. I searched around a bit and found that distilled vinegar works on this as well. After a few months of treatment, the vinegar is doing the trick on my toes.

Just an FYI if anyone runs into similar issues.

joe.suferdude
06-05-2009, 19:05
H2O2=Hydrogen Peroxide. Fungus HATES it.

There is so much great archived material on this site. Thanks to this five-year-old thread I have used H2O2 to cure my athlete's foot with excellent effect. Borrowing the alcohol bath idea from Get Selected I bought a $1.99 container at Target about the size of my foot and have been soaking my feet nightly in the H2O2. The athlete's foot is almost entirely gone but I am continuing to soak in hopes of eliminating toenail fungus.

However, I have a cost-control question: if my feet are clean upon entering the H2O2 bath can I reuse the H2O2 for multiple soakings without diminishing it's effectiveness, and if so for how long? I have been buying the large 32oz containers at Walmart, using a new bottle every night and dumping the H2O2 after each soaking. It's money well spent but I hate to waste money if I don't need to.

I read the Wikipedia entry on H2O2 and did some Googling, but did not find the answer to this question. Unfortunately, I am chemically-ignorant and do not even know how to search for an answer to this question.

Me and my checking account would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

-JSD

BigJimCalhoun
06-05-2009, 19:59
I get something similar, but a bacteria, not a fungus. It is called pitted keratolysis and it smells something fierce.

spherojon
01-31-2011, 13:39
Thanks PS.com for this little gem. Going out to get some Hydrogen Peroxide. First time in about 20yrs I have gotten athletes foot, managed to stay away from it during my football and wrestling years, but somehow got it rucking.

P.S. I was thinking about sticking my foot in cow shit to see if it really works and so I could say that tried that method as well.

Dusty
01-31-2011, 13:47
Today I had a moment where I stood at the edge of my bathroom, staring at the floor. It was five AM and I'd just woken from a nightmare, so I was disorientated. I stared, and stared, and stared, trying to 'see' the bacteria.

You may want to see a good mental health guy first, then mention the feet.

longrange1947
01-31-2011, 13:48
I have no idea how well this works for others, but, I used Absorbine Jr on my athletes foot when I was a high schooler. Used to get it every dam summer. It stopped it form itching the first time and the fungus was gone in a week. Never ever came back.

It burns like fire!!!!! Worked for me.

Have fun, Docs and PAs yell if this is no longer a good treatment, was in the 60s though. :).

123 Go
02-22-2011, 14:21
In addition to H2O2, tea tree oil, foot powders, and creams (topical treatments), one oral supplement for keeping fungus at bay is a probiotic.

It helps build the good bacteria in the gut, which when taken at appropriate doseage and duration can bring back balance to the intestines and overall body systems. Ultimately,probiotics support immunity and help to stamp out an overgrowth of yeast caused by a depletion of good bacteria.

There are many blends out there. Many require refrigeration, some don't...but consider if you are choosing to purchase online because most likely the cultures will be dead before it gets to your refrigerator. Also, enteric coating is necessary to bypass the stomach and survive the acid to habitate a in the intestines.

While I am not a doctor, nurse, medic, PA, etc., I have been a certified personal trainer with NASM for 7 years in April. I have a B.S. in Kinesiology and I am also a national level fitness competitor. I do not write diets, but I do provide guidance. My guidance is a result of academic and professional research, experience, and application with clients, family, and friends.

One thing I have learned, is that patience and consistency is key when seeing what works and what doesn't.

123 Go.....hold on further posts, read for awhile, learn about the site and post when there is a topic that is right up your alley.

ss

123 Go
02-23-2011, 08:53
Good copy, SS!