PDA

View Full Version : Foot Problem

chittnp
07-12-2006, 08:49
Gentlemen, I have been Rucking religiously for a few weeks now, varying the distances from a minimum of 2.5 miles, up to 8 miles and gradually increasing the weight. I started out with 30 lbs, and now Im up to 45 lbs, with about 7 weeks left untill I ship. I think the problem comes from the fact that I have been mainly wearing sneakers and marching on pavement. I'm trying to break the 15 minute barrier consistantly. I do have boots (DSCP Issue desert boots) that I am trying to break in, and got a nice set of blisters from them (hardening up nicely though). I think that the boots will help cure the problem, but I'm afraid I might have done some damage.

The Problem: I have a sharp, shooting pain along the top of my left foot, directly behind my big toe, all the way to, but not including, my ankle. I have full range of motion with my foot with no pain, except when I place weight on it.

I'm taking 2 days off to see if it goes away on its own, but I thought Maybe some of you might have some insight on it.

I am also using Superfeet insoles in everything, and green Army boot socks when I march.

x SF med
07-12-2006, 09:38
Possible stress fracture - or a wrinkle in your boot or sock that is compressing a nerve in your foot/ankle/shin - hard to tell.

See a Dr - not what you want to hear. But the rucking with sneakers thing was not the brightest move. What method are you using to breakin your boots? Are you using Nu-Skin, Benzoin, or the like on your feet to help toughen the skin and keep your socks from sliding? Are you using the multilayer sock method to combat blisters (slick, wicking socks tight on your feet, possibly held down with benzoin/Nu-Skin so that the outer sock slides against the inner sock and not your tender feet)?

I bet you're sorry that a medic got to this first. Post a better history of the pain and its progression, when its worst, when its best, based on shoe/sock/ weight combos - and a better Tx plan can be formed.

chittnp
07-12-2006, 10:17
Thanks for the quick reply. I realize sneakers weren't the best, but at the loser weights, there werent any problems.

I havent noticed any fluctuations in the intesity of the pain. I can walk on it, its not bad enough to deter me from walking around. It just hurts to walk on. On scale of 1 to 10 its maybe a 6. Im not going to brag about a high pain threshold, but Its not unbearable. What it feels like is that my shoes are laced to tight, just all the time, no matter if I loosen the laces or wear flip-flops, and only when I stand on it. Standing or walking doesnt really make much difference. I always take my shoes and socks off after a ruck to check out my feet for anything, I havent noticed any marks that would indicate a wrinkle in the socks.

As far as breaking in the boots, I've just been wearing them. not marching in them, but wearing them around the house and during daily life. My foot moves around in the heel cup, which caused the blisters. I was really surprised how fast they formed, but better now that at OSUT or anywhere else in the Pipeline.

Razor
07-12-2006, 12:29
Have you tried differential lacing on your boots (keep the laces over the top of your foot loose, tie the laces in a square knot at the foot/shin junction, then pull the laces tight above this point)? I've had boots where they would compress a nerve on the top of my foot if I laced them tightly all the way down, and that caused pain.

chittnp
07-12-2006, 12:53
I havent tried that, although that seems like it would be a good place to start. Now that you and X_SF_med mention that, I think it might be the problem. The more I really examine where it hurts, the more it seems to be the tendon on top of the foot. It makes sense that having the laces too tight would irritate it. Ill try that method of lacing and see if it helps. I read about the different lacing techniques in "Get Selected", but it really never occurred to me that could be the problem. Thanks!

chittnp
07-14-2006, 18:01
update: I've taken the last few days off from Rucking, and the pain has stopped. Planning on a medium distance Ruck tommorrow in boots. I'll try the diffirent lacing methods mentioned here and in "Get Selected". Thank you for the input.

SonOfLiberty
09-13-2012, 20:56
This is my first post outside of the Intro, so here goes. I searched and this seemed like the best place to put it. I know it's a necropost, but I didnt feel the need to start a new thread.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the guy that started the thread, but my question is a little different. If I loosen my boot enough to make the pain go away, then it slides around too much. If I tighten it sufficiently to keep my foot from moving around, then I feel pain on the top of my foot. During yesterday's ruck I just ignored it, but when I woke up today it was red/swollen and really hurt to walk on, even in flip flops. I'm using the issue green sock with the Belleville 390s. I only have this problem in my left foot. I can tighten my boot as much as I want in my right with no problem. Cant say the same for the left. These boots are a half size larger than normal. What can I do to prevent blisters but at the same time not induce this pain in the top of my foot?

I've poured through tens of pages of threads trying to find this answer but to no avail. If I just suck, then I'm sure I'll find out shortly.

I greatly appreciate your time to read this, even if I get flamed :)

Thanks,
Mate

SonOfLiberty
10-18-2012, 22:03
I just wanted to inform the rest of the board that after a little trial and error, I found a response to my question (imagine that!). I found that using a thicker sock will provide a little bit of cushion to protect the foot from the pressure of the laces, and will also keep the foot from sliding around.

Thanks,
Mate