PDA

View Full Version : military stlye topo maps

wri6414
07-10-2006, 08:33
to keep proficiency with map reading i read map legends,look at terrain features and write down random 8 digit grids and then i find the position on the map .that's all i can do right now because i cant seem to locate any site where i can get topographical maps that are 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 and one that actually have grid sqaures and elevation lines and also i'm trying to get military stlye maps in places other than the military bases like a national park or public park locations in my home area .i tried going online to get these maps but i dont really know how to order them ,if anyone has the time to show me through an e-mail they can list the site and steps to navigate and order the maps .i'm trying to practice rucking and navigating in a national park in my home town instead of just reading maps of places can't readily go to to actually navigate.anyone who will reply to this post i will give you my us army e-mail address or you can send me a private message.:confused:

lksteve
07-10-2006, 08:36
your profile is lacking considerable information...try your local National Forest or Public Lands Center (if you live out west)...:mad:

The Reaper
07-10-2006, 09:40
wri6414:

You have not complied with any of our requests to introduce yourself in the proper place and fill in your profile.

I am closing this thread till you do.

Do not post again till you have read the intros and stickies, and introduced yourself in the proper place.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-10-2006, 10:49
wri6414,

Use proper punctuation (upper and lower case letters) or leave the site.

This is not a request.

Team Sergeant

The Reaper
07-10-2006, 12:14
I googled "USGS maps" and got these links.

http://nationalmap.gov/gio/viewonline.html

http://store.usgs.gov/

As an 18E candidate, you might want to work on your grammar and computer skills.

Good luck.

TR

Nuke
07-12-2006, 12:14
I hope I’m not overstepping my bounds but an alternative to USGS maps is ordering one from www.mytopo.com or similar company. They combine USGS maps and allow you to customize them to a limited extent. You can choose your own center point for the map, the scale you want (1:10k-1:35k), map size, the type of datum (NAD83 or 27), map orientation, and if you want it to have a Lat/Lon, UTM, or both ticks or grids on the map.

I got one for a recent trip as an alternative to using four different USGS maps. I do a lot of hunting in the area and figured it was worth the convenience. The only criticism I can make is that small streams that show up really well on USGS maps were harder to see on the mytopo map.

lksteve
07-12-2006, 21:08
I hope I’m not overstepping my bounds but an alternative to USGS maps is ordering one from www.mytopo.com or similar company. i haven't used these before...a question...how tight of a lat/long can you get off of one of these maps...? using National Geographics Topo! i can only generate a coordinate to the nearest second...my Garmin handheld can take a lat/long to the nearest 0.1 second...

Nuke
07-13-2006, 15:07
i haven't used these before...a question...how tight of a lat/long can you get off of one of these maps...? using National Geographics Topo! i can only generate a coordinate to the nearest second...my Garmin handheld can take a lat/long to the nearest 0.1 second...

As far as I know Mytopo doesn’t allow you to enter a coordinate to plot on a map if that’s what you’re asking about. The only way I know to do it with their maps is by manually plotting it which I’ve read you’re very familiar with.

As far as resolution, I use my protractors 1:25k scale to figure lat/long similar to what has been discussed in this other thread. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6566&highlight=lat%2Flong The map grid has a resolution of 30 seconds so each tick on the protractor is 0.6 seconds. 30 seconds divided by 50 divisions. Splitting the difference between ticks gives you 0.3 seconds. I had a separate scale for this but actually like using the protractor better because I usually have it handy. That said, I question how accurate it really is in practice. The biggest source of error is probably user error. So far it has been accurate enough for my purposes, backpacking and geocaching with a compass. I like using UTM a lot more but practice both for the fun of it.

Does this seem about right to you guys?

wri6414: Sorry for getting off the subject.

lksteve
07-14-2006, 20:21
So far it has been accurate enough for my purposes, backpacking and geocaching with a compass. understand...i am looking for a lazy man's way of generating fairly high accuracy coordinates without spending a lot of money...some colleagues i have with aerial mapping firms have some big-bucks software that will give them sub-second coords on map features such as bench marks, sections corners (if shown) and other features that a layman may not need, but a surveyor working on a project with a budget would love to have (looking for a 3" diameter monument in tall grass is more fun if you have a smaller search area)...

thanks...

x SF med
07-15-2006, 06:06
(looking for a 3" diameter monument in tall grass is more fun if you have a smaller search area)...

or multiple engineer stakes at night in the woods with a lensatic compass, protractor, an old map, a time limit and referees - or an RP at night with BGs on your butt....

wri6414
07-19-2006, 08:05
your profile is lacking considerable information...try your local National Forest or Public Lands Center (if you live out west)...:mad:
if you check my profile now, it now has more info.

wri6414
07-19-2006, 08:13
wri6414,

Use proper punctuation (upper and lower case letters) or leave the site.

This is not a request.

Team Sergeant
I didn't get to read that warning from you until now .Sorry.:o

Team Sergeant
07-19-2006, 13:40
I didn't get to read that warning from you until now .Sorry.:o

And once again you've decided to post without using proper punctuation. Post like a child prepare to be treated like one.

I've deleted the post and deleted you from our boards. I don't believe in three strikes, one is all you get here.

Team Sergeant