PDA

View Full Version : Checklists

NousDefionsDoc
07-09-2006, 17:32
Anybody got any good checklists they want to share?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-09-2006, 18:49
You mean like the one my wife is threatening to put on the door if I keep on exhibiting short term memory lapses:D

Car Keys
Fly Zipped
Teeth In

Or did you have something more sinister in mind like ____________,
____________,_____________, etc.?

NousDefionsDoc
07-09-2006, 18:53
ROTFLMAO!

Is there anything more sinister than a Honey-DO! list Sir?

I was thinking more range/ops stuff...

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-09-2006, 19:07
a Honey-DO! list

List, list, you have a LIST!!!! I have a series of job jars into which I can dip my little paw to select the grab bag project of the day.:D

PM enroute.

lksteve
07-09-2006, 19:52
i use several at present...they aren't that applicable...well, maybe they are...

the engineers are required to fill out a checklist before we survey for them, basically defining the scope of the project, from a required information point of view (EEI, EEFI, METT-T stuff for civilian design pukes)...that way, if a crew goes out and the engineers don't get everything they needed, we check their list...normally, i QC the list and add the stuff they forget...sometimes, they get a bit testy...

the crew chiefs are left to their own as far as checklists go...until i have to make too many trips to the field to bring them forgotten equipment...

i go unsupervised...if i forget necessary equipment, i wasn't surveying, i was conducting a reconnaissance...RHIP, even in the real world...:D

Pete
07-09-2006, 20:06
Anybody got any good checklists they want to share?

This is not a check list but I continue to work on the female drivers in the family. I try and teach them to look at the vehicle as they walk up to it.

Flight crews have detailed pre-flight checks. Professional/Military Drivers pull pre and post operator checks but for some reason the average female driver can walk up to a car and get in it without ever looking at it.

I tell the females "LOOK at the car as you walk up to it". Do the tires look to be inflated the same? Anything leaking from under the car other than condensed water from under the A/C? Dents/Dings that you didn't notice before? Grease splattered up inside the wheel wells and edges of the car? Window glass, all there?

This is all after the "Scan the parking lot as you step out of the store." Groups of people, how many and where, do they look out of place, which direction are they walking, coming your way?

I'm afraid I'm pushing a big log up a steep hill.

Pete

lksteve
07-09-2006, 20:17
I'm afraid I'm pushing a big log up a steep hill.with wet clay for footing...but the truth be known, a checklist can be a crutch for developing SA...at least, IMNHO...

NousDefionsDoc
07-09-2006, 22:18
but the truth be known, a checklist can be a crutch for developing SA
you mean instead of SA? i'm not really following here Brother.

mugwump
07-10-2006, 07:53
This is all after the "Scan the parking lot as you step out of the store." Groups of people, how many and where, do they look out of place, which direction are they walking, coming your way?

I'm afraid I'm pushing a big log up a steep hill.

Pete

plus...

get your keys out before you leave the store -- don't be rooting around in your purse next to the car (the OC is on her key chain), organize your packages so both arms aren't full, look in/at/under the cars surrounding yours, check your car's back seat before you get in, lock the car as soon as you enter, etc. etc.

"I'm afraid I'm pushing a big log up a steep hill." I thought the daughter wasn't listening either until I got a panicky call that someone was following her car and she was just pulling into the police station parking lot. Turned out to be acquaintance w/ a new car that he wanted to show her. :)

lksteve
07-10-2006, 08:01
you mean instead of SA? i'm not really following here Brother.to me, in my narrowminded world view, a checklist and SA go hand in hand...in some cases, they are the same thing...to stay safe, let me use surveying as an example...

an engineer (civil, not a real engineer like an 18C) is designing a subdivision...he fills out a checklist, indicates the desired coordinate system, elevation datum, etc...he mentions where he wants to tie into existing roads, utilities, etc...specifies the desired contour interval so i can plan the topographic survey...on and on and on...

when i send a crew to the field, i will check a block that says they need to bring a level, sketch pad, etc...but we don't always do things according to procedure, as engineers often forget that they need a survey to do certain things...when it is possible, i'll divert a crew from a scheduled project to an "emergency" to keep my internal clients happy...

if i send a crew chief to the field to do a topographic survey, the situation implies certain equipment will be needed...i shouldn't have to provide him with a list showing the blocks checked for equipment he needs...the type of survey (mission) dictates equipment and methodology used...the checklist is intended to be all-inclusive, based on the situation, but whether it is equipment or what is to be done, there are flaws in the system...it is not uncommon for a crew to go to the field without a certain piece of equipment (we don't have one complete set for each crew and they often have to share) and the engineers don't always think through their request...

if a crew goes afield on a topographic survey and does not survey sewer manholes because some junior birdman engineer forgot to mark that block on the request form, the crew gets to see the unpleasant side of my personality...a checklist is not a substitute for SA, but is rather a compliment to it...there are crew chiefs i've worked with that would be offended by a checklist, but these guys, by rote and by experience, always surveyed everything...

that's what i mean...

i think...:D

NousDefionsDoc
07-10-2006, 08:46
a checklist is not a substitute for SA, but is rather a compliment to it.\

We are in agreement. Thanks for the clarification.

We use them for repetitive tasks. Changes in The Loop require SA.