PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers and Guns, No Money!

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2006, 19:32
I thought I would post a report on a favor Team Sergeant did for me on Friday.

I work in a large law firm, and we have what we call "summer associates" work for us during the summer. These are kids who are still in law school. It is basically a summer-long audition for a permanent job -- at the end of the summer, we decide whether to extend a permanent offer, and they decide whether to take it (if they get one). There is a lot of wining and dining of the kids over the course of the summer because we want them to work for us and they usually have other options.

Last year, I decided to take all of our summer associates and a group of lawyers I trusted not to tell anyone to the range for some shooting. Somehow, this year's group found out about it and asked me to do it again. I agreed, and I mentioned to TS that I was going to be doing it. He offered to come to LA and help me with the event without charge!

OK, so we did the event a bit differently this year. Two hours of classroom instruction by TS followed by range time. We ended up with 9 participants (including me). One of them, Joe Snuffy on this board, is an Army vet; but most had never touched a firearm before. Joe Snuffy, another lawyer with some shooting experience and I took two lanes at the range while everyone else took turns with TS. After a while, we let everyone shoot all the guns in all the lanes we had.

Well let me tell you, we had a pretty fantastic instructor. Several of the first-timers were shooting decent groups almost right off the bat. A couple were putting multiple rounds through the same holes. It really was impressive to see someone teach so many people so much in so little time.

I did not take pictures, but I will post one of my own groups once I get a chance to take a picture of it. ;)

Gypsy
07-08-2006, 21:26
How very cool!

12B4S
07-09-2006, 00:14
I'm guessing there were more than a few astounded Lawyers and 'summer associates' RL. The ones your are interested in snagging, will be some or all of those you treated to that outing. I'm thinkin' TS probably got the ones hooked that are the best. ;) The rest is up to you guys.

7624U
07-09-2006, 08:23
Lot easyer to teach First timers good habits and shooting practice.
then it is people with bad habits.
TS must have like teaching you guys you all speak English:D sounds like it was fun did you lawyers teach the instructors anything about Law ?

The Reaper
07-09-2006, 08:40
Well done, gents.

TR

Eagle5US
07-09-2006, 09:13
Setting the "bar" just a bit higher :D

Nicely done fellas-

Eagle

Team Sergeant
07-09-2006, 09:13
Hearts and minds……

As RL stated, most of these were interns and I gave them a positive perspective concerning "guns". LA lawyers with an informed evaluation of guns, California would do well to have such individuals among them.

TS
Besides, I got to get out of triple digit heat for 36 hours…….;)

mumbleypeg
07-09-2006, 10:00
Excellent!

Roguish Lawyer
07-09-2006, 10:16
Here is one of my 10-round groups, shot at about 15 feet with my HK USP .45.

OK, it's not just "one" of my groups, as usual I'm posting the best of the day. ;)

Team Sergeant
07-09-2006, 10:25

OK, it's not just "one" of my groups, as usual I'm posting the best of the day. ;)

That's the one hanging on your refrigerator right?:rolleyes:

vsvo
07-10-2006, 09:13
Cool!

The Reaper
07-10-2006, 10:07

Almost good enough to hit a lawyer in the heart.:D

TR

HOLLiS
07-10-2006, 10:09
Almost good enough to hit a lawyer in the heart.:D

TR

Lawyers have a heart? :confused:

x SF med
07-10-2006, 10:22
Lawyer's Hearts - now those are small targets