PDA

View Full Version : Another Mentor Request

citboy5672
06-30-2006, 09:42
I just DEPed in on 27 June, and I am also wondering if there is someone who would be willing to help train me near the Charleston, SC area. I have no problem driving places and have no problem being told what to do. My ship out date is fast approaching, 5 Sept, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Team Sergeant
06-30-2006, 14:39
Ben,

Here’s some advice:

Purchase Warrior-Mentors book.
Read it 16 times.
Do what it says.
Report back here when you’ve accomplished everything written in the book. Save the really “tough” questions for us….. Now move out and draw fire.

Team Sergeant

P.S.
Special Forces soldiers are “Self” motivated and do not require a mentor, just a goal or another challenging mission.

7624U
06-30-2006, 14:48
Ben,

Here’s some advice:

Purchase Warrior-Mentors book.
Read it 16 times.
Do what it says.
Report back here when you’ve accomplished everything written in the book. Save the really “tough” questions for us….. Now move out and draw fire.

Team Sergeant

P.S.
Special Forces soldiers are “Self” motivated and do not require a mentor, just a goal or another challenging mission.

L:eek:ks like he already has a Crosshair on him

Richard
06-30-2006, 19:29
Good advice, Top. Our philosophy as medics was that we had read the book and seen the movie...and, therefore, we could do it! On another note, a mentor "once you get to Group" is invaluable. Mine were guys like Dick Warren, Joe Alderman, John Probart, John Gissell, Ernie Tabata, and Bill Flavin.

Richard

lksteve
06-30-2006, 19:37
On another note, a mentor "once you get to Group" is invaluable. Mine were guys like Dick Warren, Joe Alderman, John Probart, John Gissell, Ernie Tabata, and Bill Flavin.but those guys didn't really become mentors until you had gone through several rites of passage...i agree mentors are important, but it is difficult to both raise and mentor someone...in my (occasionally) humble opinion, mentoring in a unit is somewhat different than grooming someone to attend training...

Bill Flavin could damn sure move out with a ruck on his back, that's for sure...

Richard
06-30-2006, 19:54
"...but those guys didn't really become mentors until you had gone through several rites of passage..."

Exactly! Training Group and about 6 months on a Team with several deployments before they'd say much of anything to you.

Richard