PDA

View Full Version : Russian SF in Iraq?

Wiseman
06-28-2006, 11:01
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13163804/

It seems that Putin ordered Russian Special Services to find the guys responsible for killing the diplomats and destroy them. Will Russian SF be able to function in an area they have not actively been in without the consent of the United States?

Team Sergeant
06-28-2006, 13:07

It seems that Putin ordered Russian Special Services to find the guys responsible for killing the diplomats and destroy them. Will Russian SF be able to function in an area they have not actively been in without the consent of the United States?

Whos' to say they require our permission in the first place?;) If I remember correctly the government of Iraq is now in place.

Tuukka
06-28-2006, 13:20
They are not the Evil Empire any more, but they did handle it last time their people were kidnapped in Beirut in the '80s..

dedeppm
06-28-2006, 13:41
They are not the Evil Empire any more, but they did handle it last time their people were kidnapped in Beirut in the '80s..

That's putting it mildly. ;)

I seem to recall reading in a book (forget where) that the Soviets responded to hostage situations in Beirut by kidnapping affiliated terrorists and a few of their relatives and then depositing their headless corpses in public places.

Wiseman
06-28-2006, 14:36
Team Sergeant,

That is a good point. I wonder if the Iraqi government is still in friendly relations with Russia.

x SF med
06-28-2006, 14:49
The enemy of my enemy is my ally. I guess that is true here, although as Tuuka pointed out they aren't the Evil Empire anymore.

Team Sergeant
06-28-2006, 14:50
Team Sergeant,

That is a good point. I wonder if the Iraqi government is still in friendly relations with Russia.

I would venture to guess anyone giving the terrorists a dirt nap is a friend of the current Iraqi Gov.;)

rubberneck
06-28-2006, 14:56
I wish them happy hunting and hope they have better luck than the Italians.

Wiseman
06-28-2006, 15:02
It will be interesting to see how the situtation plays out.

7624U
06-28-2006, 16:11
Wonder who will pay the TDY

x SF med
06-28-2006, 16:17
Wonder who will pay the TDY

Part of the American economic aid program to the collective Republics of Russia? Hell even winning the Cold War is costing us economic subsidies to the losers.

uboat509
06-28-2006, 18:19
There is an awful lot potential for the Russians to stir up a lot of crap for the coalition. They don't exactly have a reputation for being subtle. If they go in busting heads there is the distinct possibility that a lot of Iraqis will not bother to differentiate between the Russians and other Westerners/infidels.

SFC W

Slantwire
06-29-2006, 13:13
There is an awful lot potential for the Russians to stir up a lot of crap for the coalition. They don't exactly have a reputation for being subtle. If they go in busting heads there is the distinct possibility that a lot of Iraqis will not bother to differentiate between the Russians and other Westerners/infidels.

SFC W

Hell, it might BOOST the cause with the tribalistic, respect for power crowd.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
06-29-2006, 13:34

The Russians, like any other country, can work through surrogates. Whatever they do, I am sure that they have weighed the pros and cons to make sure whatever message needs to be sent is sent.

QRQ 30
06-29-2006, 14:37
The statement isn't much different from the President saying we will hunt down and jail or kill those responsible for 9-11.

Anyone who thinks Russia is now our ally can read this one snippet from the article:

The lower house of the Russian parliament passed a statement earlier Wednesday that decried the murders and said that “occupying” countries are losing control in Iraq.

Five-O
06-30-2006, 06:21
The only thing worse than being captured by Islamic terrorists.....being rescued by the Russians. :eek:

Wiseman
07-01-2006, 17:47
There's more info now. They didn't have a security detail with them on that road. Apparently they were going on a shopping trip to the upscale part of Baghdad.

Cincinnatus
07-02-2006, 14:40
Apparently they were going on a shopping trip to the upscale part of Baghdad.

Nah... I won't go there. Too easy. :p